gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:38:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson song just premiered on radio  (Read 66532 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »

It blows me away that this unbelievably terrible auto tune makes it past the engineers, record label execs etc.

It blows me away people are hearing auto-tune that isn't there.

Its not there.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 06:54:06 AM »

It blows me away that so many don't seem to realize that the sound of the vocals is an INTENTIONAL choice.  Would I prefer a vocal sound that is closer to what Al Jardine went for on his solo album, probably.  But do I think that this is a result of poor engineering, no.  This is clearly what Thomas and co feel is a contemporary or modern vocal sound.  The effects on Al's vocal sound a bit more restrained to me here than Al's (still killer) vocals on the TWGMTR album.  Happy to hear these guys singing together on record again.  Lovin' it.  I enjoyed this tune when I heard it live in Vegas a few times but enjoy the studio version even more.  Is that Matt Jardine sounding wonderful on the high parts there?  Think so.  Nice.  This album can't come fast enough for me!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 06:55:00 AM »

First impressions - the percussion is flippin great, reminds me a bit of Summer's Gone in places. I'm really diggin' those flutes during the last chorus/tag. Also, I'm hearing a few nods to the Sloop John B opening riff. Save for the "getting to know her" lyric, this sounds more like a song to Mike than a love song.

As for the robo Al comments - I'm not hearing it, at least I'm not hearing a heavily processed Al. What I am hearing is a song going through a very digitized stream. The C50 Live album - those are robo vocals.

Overall, it sounds like a really nice/catchy Beach Boys song!

*thanks anders wyller and Loaf for the news and link!
Agreed. Am I the only one, so far that is picking up some "Lay Down Burden" melodies going on here?

I doubt it. I was just blanking on the tune, but it's an everywhere good call

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 06:56:55 AM »

Those guitar licks have no place in a Brian Wilson production.

Take it or leave it.

Sorry, didn't realise opinions are not allowed. Silly me.

That's not what I said. I meant if you like it or not, that's what Brian chose to do, so if Brian's opinion is that those guitar licks suit the song fine, you will have to live with it. I have to too.

Not having that. Just don't say anything if thats the case.
If someone shouldn't say anything, let's start with YOU

Why me? or are you just looking for an argument as usual?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »

Take it or leave it.

That's not what I said. I meant if you like it or not, that's what Brian chose to do, so if Brian's opinion is that those guitar licks suit the song fine, you will have to live with it. I have to too.

Sure, whatever; Micha's explanation was perfectly clear, yet you seem to think you're the only one fit to post. get over yourself please

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »

First impressions - the percussion is flippin great, reminds me a bit of Summer's Gone in places. I'm really diggin' those flutes during the last chorus/tag. Also, I'm hearing a few nods to the Sloop John B opening riff. Save for the "getting to know her" lyric, this sounds more like a song to Mike than a love song.

As for the robo Al comments - I'm not hearing it, at least I'm not hearing a heavily processed Al. What I am hearing is a song going through a very digitized stream. The C50 Live album - those are robo vocals.

Overall, it sounds like a really nice/catchy Beach Boys song!

*thanks anders wyller and Loaf for the news and link!
Agreed. Am I the only one, so far that is picking up some "Lay Down Burden" melodies going on here?

I doubt it. I was just blanking on the tune, but it's an everywhere good call
Yep, sounds like a cousin to "Lay Down Burden". Even the same key, right?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 07:09:51 AM »

Take it or leave it.

Sure, whatever; Micha's explanation was perfectly clear, yet you seem to think you're the only one fit to post. get over yourself please

Yeah of course...I'm the king of the internet  Huh anyway, not gonna derail this thread...back to topic

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 07:19:09 AM »

Sounds like an outtake from "Imagination."

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 07:27:09 AM »

Just curious, trying to start an even-tempered debate... Smiley

What is it that causes the Robo Al effect that i can hear? Ray said it's not Auto-tune, but that's just one brand of pitch correction software. Are you saying, Ray, that there is no pitch correction on the track, or that it's just not the Auto-tune brand?

I can hear something "unnatural" on Al's voice. It's not on every syllable of every word, but there is some vocal effect going on in many places. Whether it's an intentional effect to get it sounding modern and shiny for teh internetz, or whether it's the production team not allowing a single (human) off-key note, IMO, i would prefer to hear Al's voice without this effect. I'm not against pitch correction itself, I actually like Cher's song and Kanye West, but i don't like it with the Beach Boys.

And i too tried singing Lay Down Burden over the track. The intro and the chorus reminded me of LDB especially. The drum fills and guitar licks.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 07:33:08 AM »

I'm about the earn the wrath of comments but here goes my impressions of Right Time:
It sounds bland.  Like Imagination meets That's Why God Made the Radio.  Brian Wilson and Joe Thomas' production is so full of reverb it is distracting to my ears.  The production sounds like a middle-of-the-road adult contemporary track and those guitar licks are unnecessary.  In fact I only hear little Brian Wilson production techniques in this song, the click noise, the drums, and the vocals.  The rest sounds like an average Thomas production.  The auto-tune is poor on Al Jardine's vocal while Brian's vocal sounds tolerable.  The verse and chorus sound way too much like Lay Down Burden, so much so that it sounds like the same song. 

Overall, I did not like this song, and I am getting worried whether No Pier Pressure will actually be a good record.

I'm heartbroken.  Sad
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »

anyway, not gonna derail this thread...

Me neither. I'm not inclined to keep quarreling. Opinions are allowed. It's perfectly ok if you don't like those licks. What can we do if Brian likes them?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 07:41:32 AM »

Hmmm... This is a dissappointment. The production is bland, like so many others have stated. The song itself is also somehow boring. I don't know what to think about it. It's not bad, but easily the weakest of the NPP songs we've heard up to this day.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:02 AM »

What is it that causes the Robo Al effect that i can hear? Ray said it's not Auto-tune, but that's just one brand of pitch correction software[...]
I can hear something "unnatural" on Al's voice. It's not on every syllable of every word, but there is some vocal effect going on in many places. Whether it's an intentional effect to get it sounding modern and shiny for teh internetz, or whether it's the production team not allowing a single (human) off-key note[...]
You have basically two choices of pitch correction software mate: Antares' Autotune and Celemony's Melodyne.  I believe it is the latter being used because Melodyne is built to correct specific notes in a recording and can add harmonies on the fly.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »

Just curious, trying to start an even-tempered debate... Smiley

What is it that causes the Robo Al effect that i can hear? Ray said it's not Auto-tune, but that's just one brand of pitch correction software. Are you saying, Ray, that there is no pitch correction on the track, or that it's just not the Auto-tune brand?

I can hear something "unnatural" on Al's voice. It's not on every syllable of every word, but there is some vocal effect going on in many places. Whether it's an intentional effect to get it sounding modern and shiny for teh internetz, or whether it's the production team not allowing a single (human) off-key note, IMO, i would prefer to hear Al's voice without this effect. I'm not against pitch correction itself, I actually like Cher's song and Kanye West, but i don't like it with the Beach Boys.

And i too tried singing Lay Down Burden over the track. The intro and the chorus reminded me of LDB especially. The drum fills and guitar licks.

There is no pitch correction.  Brian corrects pitch live as he is cutting the vocals .  For example at the "I'm Into Something Good' session ; Carole King had not started singing the second verse when Brian pitch corrected..." Carole , your flatting" . He did it to Macca , to  EJ , to Nate Reuss, to everyone.  My understanding is the vocals are double tracked and buried with echo .
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »

anyway, not gonna derail this thread...

Me neither. I'm not inclined to keep quarreling. Opinions are allowed. It's perfectly ok if you don't like those licks. What can we do if Brian likes them?

So does David Marks
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »

There is no pitch correction.  Brian corrects pitch live as he is cutting the vocals .  For example at the "I'm Into Something Good' session ; Carole King had not started singing the second verse when Brian pitch corrected..." Carole , your flatting" . He did it to Macca , to  EJ , to Nate Reuss, to everyone.  My understanding is the vocals are double tracked and buried with echo .
There is pitch correction.  If Brian does it live, then he uses one of these tools to do it.  Also, Brian is not a computer person so we can assume he is using a fellow engineer to do it for him while he watches over the engineer's shoulder.  The double tracked vocals heard are used to try to mask the effect of auto-tune, which rarely ever works.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »

That lack of enthusiasm for this song here is strange. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 07:50:37 AM »

It sounds good in a 1979 Christopher Cross/Player sort of way. It's unambitious songwriting and production for sure, but still very pleasant. If the whole album is like this I guess I might be a little disappointed, but I would still like and listen to it.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 07:51:03 AM »

I finally heard the song for the first time just a few minutes ago. My opinion: not a bad song. Al's voice sounds great, Brian sounds good, the song itself sounds like something I expect to hear on the piped-in music at the local pharmacy, but not a bad song. It didn't knock me off my seat or anything, and with time I may end up liking it more. Honestly it's just what I expected. Now to hear the rest of the tunes...
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 07:52:02 AM »

Sounds like an outtake from "Imagination."

I thought this too.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 07:52:08 AM »

There is pitch correction.  If Brian does it live, then he uses one of these tools to do it.  Also, Brian is not a computer person so we can assume he is using a fellow engineer to do it for him while he watches over the engineer's shoulder.  The double tracked vocals heard are used to try to mask the effect of auto-tune, which rarely ever works.

Ok ,  whatever
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »

I love it!! What an excellent day!!  Grin

I can't wait for the rest of the album! How blessed we are to have new music from Brian, Al, and David in 2015...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 08:03:17 AM »

David Marks on those guitar licks, as noted.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »

Song's not bad.  Would have fit well on the 2012 reunion album.  But I think an important question persists:  how the hell is Norway getting to hear this song before everyone else?!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 08:08:14 AM »

Song's not bad.  Would have fit well on the 2012 reunion album.  But I think an important question persists:  how the hell is Norway getting to hear this song before everyone else?!

They obviously sent vikings to Los Angeles to pillage the song  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx