gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:23:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Wanna Dance live 2015 with Dennis  (Read 11022 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 01:10:50 AM »

That's fantastic. My respect for the Mike & Bruce show just got bumped up a notch.

Mine got bumped down a notch. When they used "Forever" during the C50 tour, it felt like a tribute to Dennis as the remaining band was back together. Here it feels like exploitation by Mike and Bruce. Mike and Dennis were not exactly best friends (not sure about Dennis and Bruce) and it feels like they are taking advantage of Dennis to tug at the heartstrings of his fans and make themselves look good in the process. Maybe I am just too cynical though - and it is always good to hear Dennis.
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 06:08:24 AM »

It's a very Mike kind of tribute in that it is of a song from 1965, and no late 1960s, 1970's-era images of Dennis appear on the video screen. It fits in with Mike's interpretation of the band as a fun relic of the 1960s, which is probably the time--playing amateur psychologist here--that he has the most positive memories of Dennis from.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 06:15:56 AM »

It's a very Mike kind of tribute in that it is of a song from 1965, and no late 1960s, 1970's-era images of Dennis appear on the video screen. It fits in with Mike's interpretation of the band as a fun relic of the 1960s, which is probably the time--playing amateur psychologist here--that he has the most positive memories of Dennis from.

Good points here. "Forever" is probably too deep and a bit melancholic for this incarnation of the band and its target audience.

A really cool tribute to Dennis would be doing "All I Want To Do", its lead singer being still alive and touring with the band.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 06:28:56 AM »

Good points here. "Forever" is probably too deep and a bit melancholic for this incarnation of the band and its target audience.

A really cool tribute to Dennis would be doing "All I Want To Do", its lead singer being still alive and touring with the band.

Hehe, complete with sound effects? Wink    Actually that is my favourite Mike lead.  Great song.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 06:31:34 AM »

So what exactly does Bruce sing now?  GOK and DYWD were usually his only 2 leads and the occasional Disney Girls.
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 06:49:57 AM »

My opinion, this is a near perfect tribute to Dennis. The shows I'd seen Dennis would sing "you are so Beautiful".   I love Dennis but at that time he was not in good voice and not healthy.  He was abeautiful spirit and here we see him in his youth, vibrant. "Do You wanna Dance fits the live performance as much as "Barbara Ann" or even "rock n roll music".
"Forever" was used in 2012 in the tribute. I wish I went to the show since I don't live too far from that venue, but I passed on it.

Jet without wings
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »

Mike and Bruce were at least rehearsing Forever w/ Dennis on the screens (just like C50) at soundchecks a couple years back.  Did they ever end up doing it?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:38 AM »

The BW band needs to do a touching tribute to Mike on the NPP tour. The videowall can pulsate with legal threats and colonoscopy footage. Not a dry eye in the house!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 08:20:42 AM »

The BW band needs to do a touching tribute to Mike on the NPP tour. The videowall can pulsate with legal threats and colonoscopy footage. Not a dry eye in the house!

LOL

I think Brian's new album title NPP, in and of itself, is already his own "tribute" to his cousin, and speaks volumes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:33:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »

That's fantastic. My respect for the Mike & Bruce show just got bumped up a notch.

Mine got bumped down a notch. When they used "Forever" during the C50 tour, it felt like a tribute to Dennis as the remaining band was back together. Here it feels like exploitation by Mike and Bruce. Mike and Dennis were not exactly best friends (not sure about Dennis and Bruce) and it feels like they are taking advantage of Dennis to tug at the heartstrings of his fans and make themselves look good in the process. Maybe I am just too cynical though - and it is always good to hear Dennis.

It's mighty, mighty hard to see things any other way than you have just described. I'd very much like to disagree, but I can't seem to logically do so.

Here's a question I have for anyone who disagrees, and thinks that it's NOT exploitation, and NOT in very odd, or dare I say poor, taste in any way shape or form, considering the post C50 circumstances:

If Mike were to outlive one or more of the current BBs who he refuses to tour with, and then added a video tribute(s) to them too... after that specific member(s) spoke at length in the press, post C50, about how hurt and bummed they were that they were essentially (or in a rounabout way, more or less) canned, due to Mike's actions, from the BB live act while they were alive, healthy and breathing...

Would *that* video tribute still strike you as simply a 100% genuine, heartfelt tribute about how much he truly loves, cares, and misses playing/touring with that member(s)? Or would it finally get weird at that point? At what point would the man's video tribute actions be questionable? Ever?

Because it would amount to "You can be up here on stage singing with me, unless you're not really here and alive, healthy and breathing".

I'm waiting for the usual suspects to explain away how this scenario would also simply be a moving tribute, and nothing more.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:04:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 08:31:53 AM »

Looks like myKe just set a new waving/pointing record during the video. His back is to the audience in the beginning-is he adjusting his partial plate?  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »

Hehe, complete with sound effects? Wink 

Of course! It wouldn't be the same without them, would it? Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2015, 01:10:23 PM »

Cent Dep...To give Mike [and Bruce] the benefit of the doubt...THEY represent the group known as The Beach Boys.  And they do it often.  They also represent the interests of BRI.  In order to truly represent the Beach Boys to the FANS...I think it makes a LOT of sense to not just merely mention the names of the departed stars of the group but to also feature them in a meaningful way.  The whole show can't just be album cuts.  You HAVE to include hits too.  So why not include Denny's all time biggest hit lead vocal performance?  It's NO ONE'S fault that DYWD is the top of the pole for Dennis.

That said I still don't want to see video of LIVING members...unless they're right in front of the big screen...on stage...performing with the Beach Boys.

{I put Bruce in brackets because I doubt he has much of a say or a vote on matters of this nature...so to toss him in to the blame mix is really not fair is it?}

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »

Mike and the surviving members did a nice job promoting how special and unique 2012 and the C50 was. I just prefer the tributes had stopped when it ended myself.

This clip shows a lot of shots that make it seem the band was Mike, Bruce, Carl and Dennis. I know that Brian and Al (and David?) wanted their images removed but it just rubs me up the wrong way a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=secgXHQb7hM
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »

Cent Dep...To give Mike [and Bruce] the benefit of the doubt...THEY represent the group known as The Beach Boys.  And they do it often.  They also represent the interests of BRI.  In order to truly represent the Beach Boys to the FANS...I think it makes a LOT of sense to not just merely mention the names of the departed stars of the group but to also feature them in a meaningful way.  The whole show can't just be album cuts.  You HAVE to include hits too.  So why not include Denny's all time biggest hit lead vocal performance?  It's NO ONE'S fault that DYWD is the top of the pole for Dennis.

That said I still don't want to see video of LIVING members...unless they're right in front of the big screen...on stage...performing with the Beach Boys.

{I put Bruce in brackets because I doubt he has much of a say or a vote on matters of this nature...so to toss him in to the blame mix is really not fair is it?}

But I can't seem to shake the tacky feeling. And what do you honestly think of my question, if (heaven forbid) a living non-M&B BB member (who vocalized major disappointment/sadness about being squeezed out of the BBs) passes away... would it then be ok for a M&B video tribute to start appearing for that member too? IMO, it defies common sense to even think of it. How would Mike introduce the video? "Here's the member who recently very, very much wanted to continue playing in the BBs... but now that he's passed away and isn't here anymore, let's pay tribute to his talents and play this video to recreate his existence." Sorry, but it just feels gross to think about. Am I off base?

And if we can agree that this is a ridiculous scenario, I don't see how it's too terribly different from currently playing video tributes to two fallen band members (in particular, members who I feel certain would have objected to how C50 ended, and found the current situation unthinkable and inappropriate).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:36:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »

Exactly, its a sicko situation to keep the two other founders out of the band, while only acknowledging the other two because they passed away. Its like the rest of the group is dead to Mike Love.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »

The best way to keep touring with Mike, apparently, is to die.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 04:35:17 PM »

The best way to keep touring with Mike, apparently, is to die.

Poor Bruce.
-----------------------------------------
I get what you guys are saying. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »

Cent Dep...To give Mike [and Bruce] the benefit of the doubt...THEY represent the group known as The Beach Boys.  And they do it often.  They also represent the interests of BRI.  In order to truly represent the Beach Boys to the FANS...I think it makes a LOT of sense to not just merely mention the names of the departed stars of the group but to also feature them in a meaningful way.  The whole show can't just be album cuts.  You HAVE to include hits too.  So why not include Denny's all time biggest hit lead vocal performance?  It's NO ONE'S fault that DYWD is the top of the pole for Dennis.

But I can't seem to shake the tacky feeling. And what do you honestly think of my question, if (heaven forbid) a living non-M&B BB member (who vocalized major disappointment/sadness about being squeezed out of the BBs) passes away... would it then be ok for a M&B video tribute to start appearing for that member too? IMO, it defies common sense to even think of it. How would Mike introduce the video? "Here's the member who recently very, very much wanted to continue playing in the BBs... but now that he's passed away and isn't here anymore, let's pay tribute to his talents and play this video to recreate his existence." Sorry, but it just feels gross to think about. Am I off base?

And if we can agree that this is a ridiculous scenario, I don't see how it's too terribly different from currently playing video tributes to two fallen band members (in particular, members who I feel certain would have objected to how C50 ended, and found the current situation unthinkable and inappropriate).

I think I am pretty safe in saying Dennis would not be happy that Mike uses his image on stage today. Carl I'm not sure.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »

I suppose the difference is that Carl and Dennis are gone, so showing clips of their performances is the only way to see them.  The others are still alive and kicking and performing, so you could go see them if you wished.  Not saying I agree.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:43:23 PM by Wild-Honey » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2015, 05:56:43 PM »

Cent Dep...To give Mike [and Bruce] the benefit of the doubt...THEY represent the group known as The Beach Boys.  And they do it often.  They also represent the interests of BRI.  In order to truly represent the Beach Boys to the FANS...I think it makes a LOT of sense to not just merely mention the names of the departed stars of the group but to also feature them in a meaningful way.  The whole show can't just be album cuts.  You HAVE to include hits too.  So why not include Denny's all time biggest hit lead vocal performance?  It's NO ONE'S fault that DYWD is the top of the pole for Dennis.

I think I am pretty safe in saying Dennis would not be happy that Mike uses his image on stage today. Carl I'm not sure.
So, when Brian & Al were there that was ok?  That would make Dennis and maybe Carl, happy? Am I getting this right? Some of you people are never happy, are you?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »

Big difference. The C50 was a celebration of all things Beach Boys with surviving members signing up. Besides, my comment relates more to the Mike-Dennis relationship. My opinion, and only my opinion, is Dennis would have been ok with it for the C50 because Brian, Al and Dave were involved. Due to the strained relationship he had with Mike I can't imagine him being happy after 2012 myself.

Just saying.

...and by the way, I'm always happy! Grin

edit

I'll also say this. Anyone who goes to a Beach Boys show has probably been disappointed about some aspect since the beginning. I've read enough here over the years. Brian wasn't there, Stamo's was there, Bruce clapped/ adjusted his mic too much. Mike pointed at he ladies like a dirty old man, Dennis was drunk/ absent, Carl was drunk, my favorite song wasn't on the set list, Bruce butchered God Only Knows, F**kin Barbara Ann again.

Sound familiar?

Why shouldn't fans be able to critique aspects both good and bad in their opinion. We know people in the loop read here so sometimes it can be a win-win.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:21:51 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »

Pretty weak falsetto from Jeff on this one. Is this typical lately

Make waves, not love
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »

I hope it was an off night.  Hard to keep THAT up forever.  Where would they...Brian and now the Beach Boys...be w/o him?  Vocally I think, at this point Jeff has the toughest job.  Can'r whisper or fake your way through that.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx