gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:07:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Wanna Dance live 2015 with Dennis  (Read 11034 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »

Saw this online... nice tribute... have to see this tour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9z7PoN2S8
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »

Very cool! I didn't know they were doing this (again). I'm going to see Mike & Bruce in April, hopefully they continue using Dennis' voice and the film footage. I would imagine that they're doing this with a Carl song, yes?

Loved it when they did it on the 50th anniversary.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:07:08 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »

Very cool! I didn't know they were doing this (again). I'm going to see Mike & Bruce in April, hopefully they continue using Dennis' voice and the film footage. I would imagine that they're doing this with a Carl song, yes?

Loved it when they did it on the 50th anniversary.
That was cool. That bad boy was rockin'! Was that Stamos drumming back there with Cowsill? A "Double John" duo.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »

It's obvious Stamos is familiar with the Shindig clip.  He and Cowsill are matching Dennis' playing perfectly.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

Nice tribute. I always find it not right though that they don't use one of Dennis' own extraordinary songs to pay him tribute. But I believe they were already using "Do you wanna dance" when Carl was still alive.
Just my opinion of course.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »

That was real great---nice that they are doing that for Dennis.  In theory this should open up for them to have MORE Dennis songs in the set.  "Cuddle Up"??  Grin

If they're using the screen more and more these days, lugging around an LED screen would be a huge plus.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »

Nice tribute. I always find it not right though that they don't use one of Dennis' own extraordinary songs to pay him tribute. But I believe they were already using "Do you wanna dance" when Carl was still alive.

What else have they used besides this and Forever? Forever is his own song. Do You Wanna Dance was the only hit record with a Dennis lead vocal. I thought it was terrific to honor him with such a rockin' track.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »

What else have they used besides this and Forever? Forever is his own song. Do You Wanna Dance was the only hit record with a Dennis lead vocal. I thought it was terrific to honor him with such a rockin' track.

"Forever" would be cool.
I'm not saying it's terrible. Just my opinion. "Forever" is a great track and meanwhile it's known among concert goers. And "Do you wanna dance" is not a very good song. I always wondered how they could record it and put that out back in the 60s. The production is great but...well, wtf. Let's just keep it at that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »

"Forever" would be cool.
I'm not saying it's terrible. Just my opinion. "Forever" is a great track and meanwhile it's known among concert goers. And "Do you wanna dance" is not a very good song. I always wondered how they could record it and put that out back in the 60s. The production is great but...well, wtf. Let's just keep it at that.
Huh? They've done Forever like, forever. It was good to change it up this year. I happen to like the Beach Boys version better than the original; rocks more. Brian's wall of sound. Probably the closest sounding recording to the Spector Wall of Sound than anything else done.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 12:54:54 PM »

If they did Angel Come Home, that would be so cool.  And they could use footage from the Midnight Special.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 12:59:14 PM »

Seeing the timecode in the top RH corner of the Shindig footage got me thinking (apologies if this has been discussed before). Are there any clearances necessary when screening footage from Shindig, Ed Sullivan, etc. in public?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »

"Forever" would be cool.
Huh? They've done Forever like, forever.

Only on the Beach Boys tour in 2012. I'm talking about using a video etc. When they didn't use video walls they practically could've done every song Dennis ever wrote for and recorded with the Beach Boys. That would be no problem. Imo still more fitting than DYWD (which - also imo - sucks in the live versions no matter by which band although it sounds kinda cool on the few 60s audience recordings I have heard).

- Jack Rieley
SBonilla
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »

...And "Do you wanna dance" is not a very good song. I always wondered how they could record it and put that out back in the 60s.
It's a great song, a teenage anthem. And it rocked. There would not be so many covers of it, if the song had no merit.

Brian copped Del Shannon's treatment for the Beach Boys recording. Love that Del.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »

Two notes about this:

1st Note: This is the first time in a long time that Do You Wanna Dance? is played in it's original recorded key, I didn't know that they could all sing that high still wow! I remember that when it was played on the 50th anniversary tours, the key was dropped down to suite Brian's voice.

2nd Note: Dennis voice is actually taken from the original recording, so it's the 1965 vocal track of Dennis. Now what makes me wonder is if Dennis sang the lead by himself and the boys Overdubbed their background vocals or are all the voices recorded onto one track? I'm trying to go back to Craig's Today! sessionography and make sense of it. If they are all on the same track, then that means not only is Dennis in the chorus so is Brian, Marilyn, Carl, Al and 1965 Mike singing with the live band. Maybe they somehow isolated Dennis only?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »

"Forever" would be cool.

Only on the Beach Boys tour in 2012. I'm talking about using a video etc. When they didn't use video walls they practically could've done every song Dennis ever wrote for and recorded with the Beach Boys. That would be no problem. Imo still more fitting than DYWD (which - also imo - sucks in the live versions no matter by which band although it sounds kinda cool on the few 60s audience recordings I have heard).
Honestly, I don't care what song they choose. I am just really happy that Mike includes Dennis' contribution to the band in the Live show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »

"Forever" would be cool.

Honestly, I don't care what song they choose. I am just really happy that Mike includes Dennis' contribution to the band in the Live show.

I can't fault any attempt to pay tribute to Carl and Dennis.

I just still find it beyond bizarro that you can go to a "Beach Boys" show in 2015 and hear Carl and Dennis sing, but not Brian or Al.   Huh

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »

It's obvious Stamos is familiar with the Shindig clip.  He and Cowsill are matching Dennis' playing perfectly.

Slightly interesting that the "Shindig" footage on the big screen appears to still have a timecode running at the top. Did they get that part of the footage from YouTube or something?

It would be interesting to see (preferably with the full surviving band on stage) different Dennis and Carl tracks swapped. When they don't have to sync any video footage, then I would presume they just have to isolate a lead vocal and then add a click track to it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »

This is really interesting that they performed this recently with Dennis's original lead vocal....... because a few days ago I was thinking (something I read on the board got me thinking about this) how cool it would have been if in the mid/late 70's Dennis had stepped out front and performed this live with The Beach Boys. Probably at the time, it was thought of as too uncool, but in retrospect I think it would have rocked! Imagine the gruffer, bearded, POB era Dennis stepping out front to shock everyone with this rather innocent bit of 60's nostalgia. Am I crazy for thinking this?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »

"Forever" would be cool.

I can't fault any attempt to pay tribute to Carl and Dennis.

I just still find it beyond bizarro that you can go to a "Beach Boys" show in 2015 and hear Carl and Dennis sing, but not Brian or Al.   Huh

Would be a golden interview question.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »

Yeah good question Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »

<<This is really interesting that they performed this recently with Dennis's original lead vocal....... because a few days ago I was thinking (something I read on the board got me thinking about this) how cool it would have been if in the mid/late 70's Dennis had stepped out front and performed this live with The Beach Boys. Probably at the time, it was thought of as too uncool, but in retrospect I think it would have rocked! Imagine the gruffer, bearded, POB era Dennis stepping out front to shock everyone with this rather innocent bit of 60's nostalgia. Am I crazy for thinking this?>>

I thought this throughout the 70s.  A great idea; I still don't know why they didn't do it, unless Dennis just wasn't interested.  I did have a conversation with Carl about it during an evening of coffee and dessert with Carl, Gina, Brian Berry and a couple of Mr. Berry's friends, following a show in Evansville, IN.   A longtime friend of Carl's, Brian had been gracious enough to invite my wife and I after the show to this little gathering.

I asked Carl about Dennis possibly doing Do You Wanna Dance in the encore.  Being in my early 20s and naïve about what was going on with Dennis, other than the fact that he wasn't with them on the tour, I suggested that it might give Dennis something fun to do.  Unfortunately, this was in October of 1983.  There was an uneasy silence, no doubt because I was the stupid one in the room.  Carl finally spoke, quietly saying, "Dennis has other problems right now."  
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »

That's fantastic. My respect for the Mike & Bruce show just got bumped up a notch.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »

<<This is really interesting that they performed this recently with Dennis's original lead vocal....... because a few days ago I was thinking (something I read on the board got me thinking about this) how cool it would have been if in the mid/late 70's Dennis had stepped out front and performed this live with The Beach Boys. Probably at the time, it was thought of as too uncool, but in retrospect I think it would have rocked! Imagine the gruffer, bearded, POB era Dennis stepping out front to shock everyone with this rather innocent bit of 60's nostalgia. Am I crazy for thinking this?>>

I thought this throughout the 70s.  A great idea; I still don't know why they didn't do it, unless Dennis just wasn't interested.  I did have a conversation with Carl about it during an evening of coffee and dessert with Carl, Gina, Brian Berry and a couple of Mr. Berry's friends, following a show in Evansville, IN.   A longtime friend of Carl's, Brian had been gracious enough to invite my wife and I after the show to this little gathering.

I asked Carl about Dennis possibly doing Do You Wanna Dance in the encore.  Being in my early 20s and naïve about what was going on with Dennis, other than the fact that he wasn't with them on the tour, I suggested that it might give Dennis something fun to do.  Unfortunately, this was in October of 1983.  There was an uneasy silence, no doubt because I was the stupid one in the room.  Carl finally spoke, quietly saying, "Dennis has other problems right now."  

I feel for you, Steve. You and I are about the same age and I am sure if I had been in the same situation at the time I would have said something equally as awkward. Looks like you had the idea of Dennis doing "Do You Wanna Dance" back in the 70's way before me though.  Smiley

Coincidentally, I got to spend some time talking with Brian Berry 10 or so years ago. He had a great story about having dinner with Carl and hearing the newly released BB single, "Kokomo", come over the restaurant speakers.  Considering how he answered Carl's question, they were apparently pretty good friends.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »

Really nice CLEAN sound on Dennis' voice too.  I remember the lp track/and 45 sounding a touch muddy back in the day.  I agree with Gregg that it would have been cool to have Dennis kick out the jams with DYWD back in the 70s...the whole decade.  When I last saw him in the late summer of 82 he was in no shape for that Steve.  Man he aged in a hurry.

Can't find who it was who suggested that in addition to including the DEARLY departed...that clips of Brian and Al should also be included.  To showcase Denny and Carl is respectful...a complete positive  To add Brian and Al would shine a light on Beach Boy shortcomings and problems...too negative.  Although I personally would love to see and hear them  they are physically capable of delivering their performances in person.

And no...I don't wanna dance. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »

I think it's nice they are doing this in the show now. I'm not expecting Mike to put songs like Slip On Through, Cuddle Up, Long Promised Road on Angel Come Home in the show, though - Mike likes to play the hits, not semi-obscure album tracks that the casual fans have no knowledge of.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx