gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:34:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happiest Songs?  (Read 5642 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »

Good Vibrations is the epitome of joy for me.

Also a good portion of the early stuff, such as Surfin' U.S.A, Fun Fun Fun, Catch a Wave, Hawaii or Amusement Parks USA.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:28 AM »

Dance Dance Dance

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »

Soulful Old Man Sunshine

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:23:46 AM »

Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Yeah!

But so many to choose from!

Fr2/William Leymergie just had a happy little BB medley going on his Télématin program...

He loves the BB's!  Love
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:26:54 AM »

Fun Fun Fun is one of the happiest good-time songs for me. That, and Soulful Old Man Shunshine.  3D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:10:19 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:30:53 AM »

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:09:33 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 07:32:04 AM »

Edit: oops, double posted by mistake.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:10:57 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »

"I'm Waiting For The Day" is such a joyous song. Maybe it's the structure, or the combination of descending bass line and soaring flute melody, or both, or everything (there's so much going on). The most uplifting of songs.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »

This Whole World
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:22:36 PM »

All Summer Long

“We live in divisive times.”
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »

All Summer Long

This.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »

I Get Around or Don't Back Down
zachrwolfe
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:57:33 PM by zatch » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »

To me The Beach Boys don't have any happy songs.  There seems to be an underlying sadness/pain in every song, even the so-called happy songs.  It always shows up in Brian's falsetto, even if nowhere else (though it is often assisted by a minor chord or two).  But that bit of sadness/pain is what draws me to the music.  It is real.  Even the good in this life is colored with pain, if only because it never lasts...the end of joy always looms, sadness/pain is always around the corner, and sometimes it is experienced simultaneously with joy, like layers in a cake.  If the songs were completely happy I probably would not like them because I would not be able to relate to something that purely happy.  FWIW, I don't really deal with any sort of serious depression.  I just think life is always a mix of joy and sadness, and is certainly never purely joyous, at least not for more than a few euphoric seconds.

But I suppose some only hear joy/happiness in the music.

EoL
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:45:06 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »

"I'm Waiting For The Day" is such a joyous song. Maybe it's the structure, or the combination of descending bass line and soaring flute melody, or both, or everything (there's so much going on). The most uplifting of songs.

Funny you say that,  I call it the Stalky Song.  I do like it though Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:43:56 PM by Wild-Honey » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 03:45:40 AM »

Haha. I see where you're coming from. But it's the music that gets to me, rather than the words. Although they are optimistic, surely, and not just stalky. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 07:52:22 AM »

To me The Beach Boys don't have any happy songs.  There seems to be an underlying sadness/pain in every song, even the so-called happy songs.  It always shows up in Brian's falsetto, even if nowhere else (though it is often assisted by a minor chord or two).  But that bit of sadness/pain is what draws me to the music.  It is real.  Even the good in this life is colored with pain, if only because it never lasts...the end of joy always looms, sadness/pain is always around the corner, and sometimes it is experienced simultaneously with joy, like layers in a cake.  If the songs were completely happy I probably would not like them because I would not be able to relate to something that purely happy.  FWIW, I don't really deal with any sort of serious depression.  I just think life is always a mix of joy and sadness, and is certainly never purely joyous, at least not for more than a few euphoric seconds.

Dance Dance Dance, the surfing songs embody pure happiness. But mostly I feel the same way you do - I was going through my Beach Boys music library and found it somewhat difficult to find one truly happy song. Even at their most upbeat there is always some chord, melody, or lyric that makes you feel emotional. But I suppose it just depends on the listener.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 09:07:09 AM »

See it as the guy thinking to himself rather than really telling her... Cool

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 03:58:57 PM »

In the last verse he's turned and he's pissed, and he's telling her.  The tone of his voice and the music during this verse also express this.  I don't think it sounds optimistic in the least.  He's sounds whiny and desperate..  Look what I did for you, and you didn't think I could sit around and let him take you.  That's how I see it anyway Smiley
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:03:25 PM by Wild-Honey » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »

The accordions in Wouldn't It Be Nice are the musical embodiment of joy and happiness.  I think there are a lot of musical moments in Pet Sounds that have happy sounds, even if the lyrical content is more heavy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 11:56:48 PM »

A lot of the fun n the sun songs have a melancholy sound to me, now, knowing the trouble that was coming in Brian's life in just a few years.  So it's hard for me to listen to them and not think about the train wreck that was right around the corner for him.  They're happy songs but more times than not I find myself almost feeling pity for Brian while I listen to the music! 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 12:03:12 AM »

But I suppose some only hear joy/happiness in the music.

EoL

I agree with a lot of what you said, although I don't agree with the part about enjoying that dichotomy in the music.  I'd prefer it not have that sad undertone in it...

Something I'd like to add though, and since you hear it similarly to me, maybe you can comment.

In Brian's later career, there's a weird mirror of that same exact thing happening.  Some of his best songs, like Love & Mercy, he sang with an almost manic, perhaps even medicated affect.  So you have a song like Love & Mercy that's meant to be sad, but Brian's singing it in an epheral, manic joy almost.  It's almost the exact opposite of what you're describing in the early songs, where they're meant to be happy but his voice sounds pained.... in his later music, the songs are meant to be reflective but his voice doesn't convey that.

Another great example of this is something like "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" off of the Disney album, which was only a few years ago.  Such a beautiful song, certainly not sad by any means, but it's meant to be thoughtful and soulful (as Elton sang it originally)... Brian sings it almost like a child, he sounds like a 5 year old would sing the song, completely detached from the spirit of the song (but beautiful and gorgeous in it's own way). 

To clarify, i'm not criticizing Brian's voice at any point in his career... just commenting on how incredibly interesting it is as it relates to how he expresses particular songs. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »

In the last verse he's turned and he's pissed, and he's telling her.  The tone of his voice and the music during this verse also express this.  I don't think it sounds optimistic in the least.  He's sounds whiny and desperate..  Look what I did for you, and you didn't think I could sit around and let him take you.  That's how I see it anyway Smiley

Guess I have to disagree with you then. Smiley I rechecked the lyrics and I agree that in the end he does talk to her. But to me he doesn't sound pissed at all and in fact not only optimistic but enthusiastic because she did turn to him. I don't hear a "Look what I did for you, be thankful" at all. I figure the song rings very different bells with different gender perspectives and different experiences in life.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 10:32:27 PM »

Roller Skating Child, Mona, the entire Wild Honey album,
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »

Aren't You Glad is literally about being happy. it gets my vote.

but there are so many uplifting songs in the catalog, the list goes on and on.

but the one that always puts a smile on my face immediately and throughout is When a Man Needs a Woman. now there's a happy Brian Wilson song  Smiley

just about everything on Friends really.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx