gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 108 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The *official* Brian/BB picture thread  (Read 1065783 times)
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: August 17, 2012, 03:48:09 AM »

Something I made, mostly of the only pictures of the beach boys I could find at the milwaukee pop festival

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1651 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:42 AM »

Something I made, mostly of the only pictures of the beach boys I could find at the milwaukee pop festival

I'm not sure but if you look at Dennis I think these two might come from the same show:

Some other pictures (mostly Dennis) I found on the web:

if the last one won't show, try this link: http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/109254620-dennis-wilson-and-karen-lamm-portrait-new-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=R4V%2fQay2ANwpmCZhkZDSEjX7fUIyF5RPfRhYCuC4C5git5SmI946frVK7YzYbzhIFX3jEw42pKiqLDFOVfvzTA%3d%3d

Hollywood Bowl

I think I posted this before. Look for mroe here: http://thm-photos.smugmug.com/Music/BEACH-BOYS-1967/1383960_jcmX5P

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:22:54 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »

These look familiar, like from the video of Sail On Sailor from Endless Harmony. Where was this taken? I always knew there was a lot of unreleased footage with Blondie/Ricky during these days.

The poster says it's from Santa Barbara. The footage in Endless Harmony was 8 mm amateur footage Alan Boyd said iirc. Nothing official. But be sure to check out the "Pro shot Beach Boys concerts"-thread in the mains ection. We try to get the list as complete as possible

Most of that footage in Endless Harmony was 16mm ftg. that I shot for a series of commercials for the In Concert album.  Some of it was 8mm, shot by Billy, which very closely matches up with my film.  And yes, it's the Santa Barbara County Bowl
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: August 17, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »

I'm not sure but if you look at Dennis I think these two might come from the same show:

Oh thanks for that
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1654 on: August 17, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »

These look familiar, like from the video of Sail On Sailor from Endless Harmony. Where was this taken? I always knew there was a lot of unreleased footage with Blondie/Ricky during these days.

The poster says it's from Santa Barbara. The footage in Endless Harmony was 8 mm amateur footage Alan Boyd said iirc. Nothing official. But be sure to check out the "Pro shot Beach Boys concerts"-thread in the mains ection. We try to get the list as complete as possible

Most of that footage in Endless Harmony was 16mm ftg. that I shot for a series of commercials for the In Concert album.  Some of it was 8mm, shot by Billy, which very closely matches up with my film.  And yes, it's the Santa Barbara County Bowl

Cool. Thanks for the infos Ed ! I guess there was no audio recording done as it was for commercials, right ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 18, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »

Unfortunately, no.  Dennis was of a mindset that we could post-sync it with the In Concert recordings.  (To be fair, Alan Boyd DID do an incredible job doing just that, but it was in a new day of technology.  Unfortunately, none of that sync'd footage made it into the final cut of Endless Harmony).  Nothing Steve Moffitt or I said could convince him otherwise.  I do have soundboard cassettes of most of the shows that I filmed in 16mm, but in actuality, it's easier now to match the crystal sync'd filmed to better quality sound.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1656 on: August 19, 2012, 05:55:52 AM »

Unfortunately, no.  Dennis was of a mindset that we could post-sync it with the In Concert recordings.  (To be fair, Alan Boyd DID do an incredible job doing just that, but it was in a new day of technology.  Unfortunately, none of that sync'd footage made it into the final cut of Endless Harmony).  Nothing Steve Moffitt or I said could convince him otherwise.  I do have soundboard cassettes of most of the shows that I filmed in 16mm, but in actuality, it's easier now to match the crystal sync'd filmed to better quality sound.

But that wouldn't necessarily mean that it's the sound of the actual show right ? That's really unfortunate. There's so few footage out there of the boys in that era playing on stage. If something like beachboyscentral should ever happen it would be a great place for such footage synced with the sounboard recordings. It doesn't have to be multitrack then.
On the other hand there was much material recorded, many shows for the In Concert album iirc. But I don't know how often you were asked to film a show (or parts of it). Maybe some footage and recordings fit together

Anyway, more pictures:

Anyone have this pic of the boys (without this background) in better quality? Or even better that picture from this photo session that was used in the booklet to the Endless Harmony soundtrack

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:41:50 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »

Unfortunately, no.  Dennis was of a mindset that we could post-sync it with the In Concert recordings.  (To be fair, Alan Boyd DID do an incredible job doing just that, but it was in a new day of technology.  Unfortunately, none of that sync'd footage made it into the final cut of Endless Harmony).  Nothing Steve Moffitt or I said could convince him otherwise.  I do have soundboard cassettes of most of the shows that I filmed in 16mm, but in actuality, it's easier now to match the crystal sync'd filmed to better quality sound.

But that wouldn't necessarily mean that it's the sound of the actual show right ? That's really unfortunate. There's so few footage out there of the boys in that era playing on stage. If something like beachboyscentral should ever happen it would be a great place for such footage synced with the sounboard recordings. It doesn't have to be multitrack then.
On the other hand there was much material recorded, many shows for the In Concert album iirc. But I don't know how often you were asked to film a show (or parts of it). Maybe some footage and recordings fit together

Anyway, more pictures:

Anyone have this pic of the boys (without this background) in better quality? Or even better that picture from this photo session that was used in the booklet to the Endless Harmony soundtrack

Sixth picture down, the black and white one... what the hell is up with Al's hand!!?  It looks burnt off!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1658 on: August 19, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »

[imghttp://www.themortonreport.com/uploads/pics/carl-wilson.jpg]http://[/img]

- Jack Rieley
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 19, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:24:58 PM by EthanJamesClarke93 » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1660 on: August 20, 2012, 06:05:33 AM »

Nice pic of Carl. New to my eyes.

Source: http://thebeachboysandthecaliforniamyth.blogspot.de/2010/08/beach-boys-1965.html

Beach Boys, William Carlson, 1965, Minneapolis Auditorium, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Beach Boys, William Carlson, 1965, Minneapolis Auditorium, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Note Dennis singing lead. The site says he's singing "Long Tall Texan" but I don't know if it was still in the set by '65 and if Dennis ever took over the lead for that. I'd guess it's probably "Do you wanna dance".

May 1965 - Cobo Hall, Detroit, Michigan. Glen Campbell, Sham the Sham and the Pharoahs and the Beach Boys. I was on the floor again and the seats were - well - sort of close but not great.

Source: http://thm-photos.smugmug.com/Music/BEACH-BOYS-1965/1383175_Nr96cc

Ever noticed that these next two seem to have been taken at the same place in England?

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 20, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »

My apologies if this one has been posted before. What year was it I wonder? 1973 or 1974?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1662 on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »

And because it's so much fun here are more pictures I found on the web:

From this site: http://thebeachboysandthecaliforniamyth.blogspot.de/2010/08/pet-sounds-good-vibrations-and-smile_8725.html That site has a lot of very rare photos, check it out !

6th November 1966: American rock group The Beach Boys at the Finsbury Astoria.

Never heard of that LP but the pic is cool. More here: http://www.wirsindfreunde.net/VINYL/LP_2799.html

The last two and the next ones from this site: http://www.balsabill.com/Beach%20Boys%20on%20tour%201966%20Page%203%20Carl%20Wilson.htm

Backstage Rehearsal of "Wouldn' It Be Nice" 1966

These shots are from a backstage rehearsal.

It was July of 1966 and they were starting their East Coast Tour at the Convention Center in Asbury Park, New Jersey.

Check out these stories which I never heard of:

I had met Denny and Bruce a few months earlier and since we all shared an interest in surfing we got to be friends.

When they got to the East Coast I got a phone call to meet them at the Asbury Park Concert and I took these photos with my trusty Pentax SLR.

They were told that their new single, "God Only Knows", wasn't being played on the radio. The D.J.'s were instead playing "Wouldn't It Be Nice". The problem was, WIBN was not on the set list.

So a rehearsal was quickly organized and these previously unpublished photos document rock and roll history.

Dick Duryea, the tour manager was going over to check out the venue: Convention Hall Atlantic City, N.J. Denny, Bruce and I along with some girls that I'd brought with me went along.

Backstage was a grand piano. Denny immediately sat down and began picking out some chords. Bruce had been teaching Denny to play the piano. It was a great photo opportunity.

It was only years later that I realized the chords Denny was playing (a D chord with a descending line) was the beginning of the song he would finish and later call: "Forever".

It looks as if that guy - Balsa Bill Yerkes - was also responsible for the surfboards on the current reunion tour:
http://www.balsabill.com/Classic%20Boards%20for%20the%20Beach%20Boys%2050th%20Anniverary%20Tour.htm

Source: http://archivesoutofthebox.blogspot.de/2011/11/eastern-students-had-fun-fun-fun-til.html

My apologies if this one has been posted before. What year was it I wonder? 1973 or 1974?

Looking at Brian I'd say late 60s. '68/'69
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:43:17 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1663 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #1664 on: August 20, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »

I would say the Brian and Dennis is more like 1970. Dennis had a beard briefly.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: August 20, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »

Looks like that picture's from 1968.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 20, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »

Thought I share a couple pics.

EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 21, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:51:58 AM by EthanJClarke » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1668 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »

Wow. All of them are new to me. Some very cool ones. Thanks for posting

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:16:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »

October 13th 1967 Radio Station WIXY, Cleveland Ohio

From this site reviewing the Beach Boys' albums: http://www.newadventuresinhifi.com/2010/09/the-beach-boys-album-by-album-part-one/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1670 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »

Very big picture, save it and then open it. Same with the next

Is this at the T.A.M.I.-show ?

Another big one

Al's hand seems to be ok  Smiley

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1671 on: August 22, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1672 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1673 on: August 22, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »

Who's on drums ? Is that Kowalski?

Source: http://vmuzike.net/author/the_beach_boys/galary/4

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:01:22 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 22, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 108 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx