gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680971 Posts in 27624 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 02:21:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys/Byrds Connection[s] There are quite a few.  (Read 9565 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »

Roger plays 12 string, Al Jardine plays several less...
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »

In terms of music, the 1968 psychedelic Byrds release NOTORIOUS BYRD BROTHERS, made primarily by McGuinn, drummer Michael Clarke and Chris Hillman - with a little help from Crosby (who was fired 3 months before the album was released) has a very late 60s Beach Boys feel (in part thanks to producer Gary Usher).  It makes a great double bill with Sunflower.
Michael Clarke's drum parts were erased by McGuinn and replaced with those of Jim Gordon (who played of course on Pet Sounds).

In fact, that's the reason Clarke quit the Byrds.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »

Thanks for all of the input.  This is turning out well.  I just got the whole Columbia Byrd's box delivered yesterday.  That's what sparked the thread.

That plus the site has sort of quieted down since Brian [and Loren] dropped by.  Figured rather that waiting for someone else to do ALL of the work that I should start something.  So...again...I appreciare the info.  It sure adds to what I saw right off the top with my Byrds' box booklet.

[I got the 4 Seasons box too.   That was inspired by the thread we had rolling here a couple of weeks ago.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »

Crosby as I'm sure most folks here are aware is a big Brian fan and appeared as a talking head in IJWMFTT, and performed Surf's Up with vince Gill and Jimmy Webb at the Brian Tribute.

Just a guess but I bet Gene Clark and Dennis got drunk together at some point.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »

Melcher ripped off Don't Worry Baby's rhythm track arrangement for Mr Tambourine Man.
Of course! Hal Blaine was just ripping off his own drumming on Don't Worry Baby. Historical fact.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:05:17 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »

If u go to the right places in Monterey California,  you will get to view Terry Melcher  gold And platinum records form his work with both bands.  Terry' s Mom lives a short drive from Al Jardine.   both left LA for the laid back comfort  of Big Sur and Carmel.   Ryan Lives there and sells real estate.  And so on.  Neil Young recorded with both Al and Byrd man Crosby.  And so on.  And there is killer harmony all over all of it.   I have an obsessive love and collection of Byrds and Beach Boys.
always been a connection of these iconic bands in my life.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »

Melcher ripped off Don't Worry Baby's rhythm track arrangement for Mr Tambourine Man.
Of course! Hal Blaine was just ripping off his own drumming on Don't Worry Baby. Historical fact.

Wasn't it confirmed that it was in fact Dennis drumming on "Don't Worry, Baby"?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 09:54:47 PM »

Wasn't it confirmed that it was in fact Dennis drumming on "Don't Worry, Baby"?
Yep. I was just goofing off.  police
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 06:19:05 AM »

Croz also performed "Sloop John B" at the 2001 tribute, complete with fairly spectacular flub and restart.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:59 AM »

Back when the Byrds were still called the Jet Set, David Crosby brought some demos to Brian for his opinion.

Brian used to hang out with McGuinn, Crosby, and Hillman at Loren's place.

FWIIW, in 1998 McGuinn told me he didn't remember going to any of Loren's "parties" and he didn't think he spent much time at Loren's. He knew they were into Subud, and said Brian didn't go to the official meeting place but started a make-shift branch at Brian's home. He did remember Brian coming to his house in Malibu a few times and they played pool and music but didn't "talk about the big picture".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »

Crosby, Stills, Jardine & Young singing on Al's A Postcard from California...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:42 AM »

According to Daro, and as we've seen, his recall has been proven to be highly imperfect.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:02:35 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »

I'd figure Bruce and Skip must have been well acquainted through their early days in the Hollywood music industry or via their mutual friend Kim Fowley, but I can't think of any records they both appeared on. Maybe somebody else can point to one?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »

Back when the Byrds were still called the Jet Set, David Crosby brought some demos to Brian for his opinion.

FWIIW, in 1998 McGuinn told me he didn't remember going to any of Loren's "parties" and he didn't think he spent much time at Loren's. He knew they were into Subud, and said Brian didn't go to the official meeting place but started a make-shift branch at Brian's home. He did remember Brian coming to his house in Malibu a few times and they played pool and music but didn't "talk about the big picture".

From Roger( I wish I could still be Jim) McGuinn's RS interview(8/23/90) :
>>For a time, you subscribed to an obscure Eastern faith called Subud. Of all the Eastern religions that were big in the Sixties, how did you pick that one?

It was a small organization out of Indonesia, and frankly, I don't know much about it myself. It was a "surrender" kind of thing, where you just release yourself to God and it cleans you up. I thought it was cool, a religion without any responsibilities. You didn't have to learn a whole lot or use any props. Brian Wilson got into it. But he didn't want to go to the place where they had the meetings. So he sort of developed his own brand of it with his friends. That's when he got really weird. He incorporated acid into it and a few other strange things. And drugs were not part of it at all.

Speaking of strange, you changed your first name from Jim to Roger because of Subud.

They had this name-change option. The sound of your name is supposed to vibrate with your spirit. So I thought I'd see what my Subud name was. And Roger was one of them. I was into gadgets and space, and Roger was from two-way-radio airplane talk, "Roger that." I wish I hadn't done that now. I'd still be Jim. <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »

Then there's the other Jim...Jamie actually.  Jamie Robertson.  Who Robbie Robertsoned his way to fame and fortune.  Bu that was a different Band.  [starts with a 'B' though.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »

I think I read Roger McGuinn played the opening Guitar intro on "somwhere Near Japan" as well.

Jet without wings
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2015, 07:13:21 AM »

I think I read Roger McGuinn played the opening Guitar intro on "somwhere Near Japan" as well.

Jet without wings

Not according to the (admittedly sparse) liner notes and credits.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »

Jet without wings

Safe to assume that even if it's not him playing on that song, that the guitar work was most likely inspired by his sound, no? Especially considering how they work with him a couple years prior, and a couple years after.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »

Jet without wings

Safe to assume that even if it's not him playing on that song, that the guitar work was most likely inspired by his sound, no? Especially considering how they work with him a couple years prior, and a couple years after.

Oh, for sure.

jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »

Yeah, my mistake it  was California a Dreaming I meant, as posted earlier. Correct again Andrew

Jet without wings
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »

A factor seldom discussed in connection with either band : sheer depth of singing/songwriting talent.

The Byrds had 4 world-class singer songwriters. The Beach Boys had 6 lead singers, all of whom could write. What other bands had this depth? Moody Blues, Moby Grape. Maybe Jefferson Airplane?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »

3/4 of the Beatles wrote...and Ringo sang.  The 5 Man Electrical Band...oh wait...you guys aren't Canadians.  [sorry for your luck. Wink]
The Band...Oh wait...same thing.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »

Crosby, Stills, Jardine & Young singing on Al's A Postcard from California...

Which could possibly be the last time Young records with Crosby and Stills ever again.  Undecided

jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »

One other connection I don't think has been mentioned... The great Derek Taylor did publicity for the Byrds and Beach Boys at one time, though I don't think at the same time. Passed away a number of years ago

Jet without wings
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2015, 11:33:09 PM »

Croz also performed "Sloop John B" at the 2001 tribute, complete with fairly spectacular flub and restart.  Grin

I was there. It was quite spectacular...he messed up because the prompter scrolled too fast. He started the chorus with "See how the main sail sets" instead of "Hoist up the John B's sail". The band kept playing after he flubbed, longer than I expected, before breaking down. David said the prompter jumped a line, and then he said something like, "Look, people, you KNOW who I am! I only have eighteen brain cells left!"

Some people said he had to do three takes, but I only remember two.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx