gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:15:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys/Byrds Connection[s] There are quite a few.  (Read 9478 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:30 PM »

Terry Melcher produced quite a few of the Byrds albums including the first couple which set the pace in no small way.  He'd be back.  Gary Usher produced a few as well.  And Van Dyke Parks was a featured musician with the Byrds including his keyboard contributions on the Fifth Dimension album.

Obviously they lived in the same geographical area, recorded at some of the same studios...likely employed a few of the same backing musicians...  And...  there's more.  So..."calling" the experts...what else?  Connect more of the dots please.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »

The dream collaboration between Brian and Roger McGuinn on "Ding Dang"!   LOL

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:44:18 PM »

Melcher ripped off Don't Worry Baby's rhythm track arrangement for Mr Tambourine Man.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »

They both used guitars.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »

Eerily, both Brian and Roger have 5 letters

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SBonilla
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

Folk roots.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »

There's also the Roger McGuinn song Draggin' which has Bruce Johnston on backing vocals.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »

Back when the Byrds were still called the Jet Set, David Crosby brought some demos to Brian for his opinion.

Brian used to hang out with McGuinn, Crosby, and Hillman at Loren's place.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:44 PM »

Summer in Paradise (song), U.K. re-recorded version with McGuinn guitar, anyone? The pinnacle of both bands' careers, no doubt  Grin
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »

Obviously they lived in the same geographical area, recorded at some of the same studios...likely employed a few of the same backing musicians...  And...  there's more.  So..."calling" the experts...what else?  Connect more of the dots please.

*ahem*

https://web.archive.org/web/19990203153828/http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/543/byrdboys.html

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »

both bands had a genius songwriter who was somewhat held back by a formulaic frontman.

both those geniuses had a nervous breakdown on an airplane.

both bands have released at least one absolute classic, incredibly influential album that was ahead of its time.

both bands have been called "America's answer to The Beatles".

both bands had chart success with LSD-influenced singles.

both bands became legendary live acts by the early 70s, despite humbler beginnings.

and what about that Byrds reunion/tribute tour in the mid-80s that included Gene Clark, Michael Clarke, and Blondie Chaplin?? (among others)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:08:17 AM by bossaroo » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »

Gene Clark/Gene Landy
Gene Clark/Clark Griswold (of National Lampoon's Vacation, theme song written by future BW collaborator Lindsey Buckingham - not a stretch of a connection at all)  Grin
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »

In the mid-1980's Blondie Chaplin played in "The Byrds Revisited" (frequently billed as just "The Byrds" by unscrupulous promoters) with Gene Clark, Michael Clarke, Skip Battyn, and Rick Roberts of Firefall.  Blondie performed "Sail On Sailor."  He played the same Les Paul Gold Top that he played in the Beach Boys (and continues to play, as frequently as Brian's Vegas show).

Edit: I see it was on the "Byrd-Boys" list in the link above (#8.)

Lee
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 08:46:01 AM »

So...beyond the REALLY obvious examples...the tracks don't criss-cross as much as I thought they might then?  I was just thinking about it last night and I figured Terry, Gary, Van Dyke, some shared session guys and Jim's...sorry lRoger's...contribution [didn't know about Blondie or Bruce singing something for the Byrds...but then there's the Bruce and Terry connections...so...] that maybe there'd be LOTS more.  Guess not.  Anyway thanks one and all for your posts.

That they "both" used guitars was most enlightening. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »

David Marks and John York were in a band together in 67-ish called The Tender Trap. It's in the book.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »

Roger McGuinn was the opening act for the Beach Boys in the mid-'80s. He was backed by the BB's band and Jeff Foskett sang David Crosby's parts. IIRC, Foskett has also been in at least one Byrds tribute band.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »

Brian and Van Dyke Parks were introduced to each other by David Crosby.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 09:11:15 AM »

McGuinn was the opening act for the BB when I saw them at Madison Square Garden in the fall of 1974.  He wasn't listed on the bill.  He opened with a few songs solo acoustic & then was joined by a band that I think included David Crosby.

Also, I think Bruce Johnston played piano & sang on McGuinn's debut solo album in 1973.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »

Also, I think Bruce Johnston played piano & sang on McGuinn's debut solo album in 1973.

He did, no doubt because Terry Melcher produced the initial sessions before McGuinn took over himself.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »

As detailed in my book with Jon the byrds played on the bill with the bbs on a few occasions including a memorable November 1971 Virginia show
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 02:56:15 PM »

Crosby with Graham Nash was an interviewee in the I Just Wasn't Made for These Times documentary. 

Crosby also performed at the All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson in 2000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKj6309Gx_o - Singing "In My Room" with Carly Simon and Jimmy Webb.
http://youtu.be/R8IfQUyMxPQ?t=2m49s - Singing "Surf's Up" with Vince Gill and Jimmy Webb.

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »

Roger played on the Boys version of 'California Dreaming' , and appeared in the video.

AND AND AND , Like Brian ! Roger also likes cheese Pizza  LOL
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:00:39 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »

In terms of music, the 1968 psychedelic Byrds release NOTORIOUS BYRD BROTHERS, made primarily by McGuinn, drummer Michael Clarke and Chris Hillman - with a little help from Crosby (who was fired 3 months before the album was released) has a very late 60s Beach Boys feel (in part thanks to producer Gary Usher).  It makes a great double bill with Sunflower.
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 03:42:14 PM »

Roger played 12-string, and Al, Billy, Mike, and Carl sang backing vocals on TM from Charles Lloyd's Waves album.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »

...and R&R Music on the Midnight Special 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFKN1sOuas
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx