gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:44:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Nights Boot  (Read 6164 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:58:49 PM »

As posted on the BBB Board:

California Nights Boot
Posted on June 5, 2006 at 07:45:32 PM by Barbara Melancon

I just saw this boot for sale on the walkway in San Antonio Texas. The price was very steep $100.00. Here are the track listings, that I got from the back of the jewell case. The vendor said that this disc was very rare and was limited to 100 copies. I do not recognize most of these songs. Does anybody else have a copy, and would be willing to comment as to the quality of the recordings. $100.00 is too steep for me to shell out for a bootleg.
Thanks Barbara

CALIFORNIA NIGHTS

Track Listing
1. California Nights (Carl Wilson Lead Vocal)
2. Our Happy Home (Brian Wilson Lead Vocal)
3. Barnyard Blues (Dennis Wilson Lead Vocal)
4. Where Is She (Carl Wilson / Mike Love Lead Vocals)
5. You Are So Beautiful (Dennis Wilson Lead Vocals – Studio Version)
6. Okie From Muskogee (Mike Love Lead Vocal – Studio Version)
7. Beatrice From Baltimore (Carl Wilson Lead Vocal)
8. City Blues (Dennis Wilson / Brian Wilson Lead Vocals)
9. Sail On Sailor (Studio Version With Alternate Lyrics)
10. 10,000 years (Dennis Wilson Lead Vocal)
11. Workin’ In A Coal Mine (Mike Love Lead Vocals)
12. Don’t Let Me Go (Carl Wilson Lead Vocals)
13. Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Al Jardine Lead Vocals)
14. Surf City (Mike Love Lead Vocals – Studio Version)
15. Gold Rush (Al Jardine Lead Vocals / Unfinished Song)
16. Malibu Sunset (Brian Wilson Lead Vocals)
17. Hold On (Carl Wilson Lead Vocals)
18. Magic Hands And Feet (Instrumental)
19. Indian Wisdom / Fire (SMILE Sessions / Outtakes)
20. Slow Booze (Dennis Wilson Lead Vocals)
21. I Didn’t Mean To Make You Worry (Dennis Wilson Lead Vocals)
22. Fourth Of July (Carl Wilson Lead Vocals / Alternate Mix)
23. Battle Hymn Of The Republic (Mike Love Lead Vocals)
24. Marcella (Demo)

Wow...this is something that I would really like to hear (I think that probably 90% of us here would want to hear it too!)

If anyone has this and would like to trade, I am very willing to do a 6-for-1 trade for this disc.

You can access my e-mail address through the setlist archive.

http://fun_fun_fun.tripod.com/emailme.html

Good vibes,
Eric
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:27:39 PM »

I think I'd happily pay $100 for this one  :D . This is one heck of a compilation!
Unfortunately it's not really nearby for a Dutchman...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:50 PM »

I think a lot of us would be interested in this, too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:44:31 PM »

I would say almost without hesitation that this boot is a complete fraud.  This track listing is akin to the holy grail of unbooted Beach Boys material.  If a bootlegger actually had this stuff, limiting it to a run of 100 copies would be the dumbest thing they could do.

"Indian Wisdom" was debunked as a SMiLE era song title years ago by Brad Elliott.  The legend that such a song existed was simply a misinterpretation of the back cover of Smiley Smile.  (i.e. that the quote "the smile that you send out returns to you" was supposedly lyrics from an unreleased song called "Indian Wisdom".)

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

I'm thinking it's a hoax,too. I mean, I would KILL to hear the earlier SOS and Beatrice from Baltimore. Don't feel like shelling out $100 as I am broke like a joke, yo.  Afro

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:49:29 PM »

I agree with Jason, that sounds almost too good to be true. Of course, two of the absolute holy grails are missing: Til I Die piano demo with original lyrics and Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Together. But Sail On Sailor (original lyrics) is about as legendary as it gets. Not to mention a studio version of You Are So Beautiful...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »

I agree with Jason, that sounds almost too good to be true. Of course, two of the absolute holy grails are missing: Til I Die piano demo with original lyrics

ORIGINAL lyrics?!
 w00t!

You know, if I actually HAD the money, I WOULD pay for that...

MBE
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 12:06:10 AM »

Find the 45 by KGB they have different lyrics about being "Coked out"
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:07:47 AM »

I'm also 90% sure I remember Alan Boyd saying something about how "Beatrice from Baltimore" never surfaced in the vaults with vocals.  I'll have to go back and check the Boyd thread for info.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 12:14:06 AM »

It is a hoax, because Where Is She is a Brian lead. Beatrice was wiped,according to Brian by an angry Carl in 1971, and Glen Campbell sings lead on Malibu Sunset. Our Happy Home was never more than a track.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 01:52:05 AM »

California Nights? I've never heard of that before.. is it a cover of the Lesley Gore song ("along the sand, let's walk the shore together now, yes hand-in-hand, it's gonna be fair weather now")? That would be amazing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 05:48:27 AM »

I can't help smiling about this one,  because fake or not, the song titles and the accredited lead vocals match the relevant personalities, so sterotypical - it's funny.
Brian's leads are all about being happy, and looking at sunsets, Carl's titles suggest emotional supportiveness and moral integrity, Al's reflect his mid-West appreciations, Mike's veer on the socio-political and the nostalgic and Dennis' titles are apparently about his personal interests and feeling sorry for himself.
I can't say if these are all genuine or not, but it's like someone stuck a label on each track title and decided who it fit best.  $100?  Hmmmm.
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 06:13:25 AM »

Well, simply ask to have listen before you buy it.
SG7
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 12:06:19 PM »

Must be a hoax.  Roll Eyes
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 12:20:58 PM »

This smells like a very specific person...who, a year or so back, was offering (for sale and/or trade) tons of very dubious goodies.  This person expressed interest in trading me for several dozen concert recordings, so I cautiously sent him a few to test the waters, but never received anything in return, despite numerous claims on his part to have sent them numerous times.  I've since seen postings on various boards from lots of other folks burned by the same perpetrator!  Bottom line:  if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Craig
Jason
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 12:26:49 PM »

This smells like a very specific person...who, a year or so back, was offering (for sale and/or trade) tons of very dubious goodies.  This person expressed interest in trading me for several dozen concert recordings, so I cautiously sent him a few to test the waters, but never received anything in return, despite numerous claims on his part to have sent them numerous times.  I've since seen postings on various boards from lots of other folks burned by the same perpetrator!  Bottom line:  if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Craig

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 02:47:08 PM »

'Beatrice from Baltimore' became 'You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone' -after a lyric rewrite by Jack Rieley. I think AGD quoted some of the lyrics for Beatrice somewhere. Yes Brian did rewrite the lyrics for 'Till I Die' right after the BB's had already cut a vocal with the original words. Someone should ask Steve Desper if he remembers them.. or ask Alan Boyd whether they are still in the vaults.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 03:31:05 PM »

S.Desper said that the original "Til I die"-lyrics were kinda uplifting, while the released ones of course aren't. I don't remember what else he might have said about that topic

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 03:32:08 PM »

S.Desper said that the original "Til I die"-lyrics were kinda uplifting, while the released ones of course aren't. I don't remember what else he might have said about that topic

I remember he said that the orginal lyrics were wiped, never to be heard of again.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 07:50:53 PM »

Regarding 'Til I Die': I heard the alternate lyrics while researching my book last year. From what I understand, they're not original lyrics as much as an attempt to make the original lyrics (which we all know and love) more "upbeat." All it entails (and I'm writing this off the top of my head, the whole thing is in much more detail in the book, coming to a bookstore near you starting June 23, make sure to buy several copies for friends, relatives, perfect strangers, etc.) are climactic lines -- the ones brian sings solo -- that contradict every damn thing he'd said up until that point. To wit:

I'm a cork on the ocean
Floating over the raging  sea
How deep is the ocean?
How deep is the ocean?
It holds me up

Or something almost exactly like that. Nearly every verse has a similarly out-of-synch capper to it, but either Brian put his foot down, at long last, or else someone in the band realized how perfectly lame this attempt at positivity was, and encouraged the others to give it a rest already and let BW express himself. Either way, it was a rare example of good taste winning out over something other than that. By my estimation.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »

Beatrice was wiped,according to Brian by an angry Carl in 1971
WHAT?! Why would he DO something like that?!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 08:18:39 PM »

Regarding 'Til I Die': I heard the alternate lyrics while researching my book last year. From what I understand, they're not original lyrics as much as an attempt to make the original lyrics (which we all know and love) more "upbeat." All it entails (and I'm writing this off the top of my head, the whole thing is in much more detail in the book, coming to a bookstore near you starting June 23, make sure to buy several copies for friends, relatives, perfect strangers, etc.) are climactic lines -- the ones brian sings solo -- that contradict every damn thing he'd said up until that point. To wit:

I'm a cork on the ocean
Floating over the raging  sea
How deep is the ocean?
How deep is the ocean?
It holds me up

Or something almost exactly like that. Nearly every verse has a similarly out-of-synch capper to it, but either Brian put his foot down, at long last, or else someone in the band realized how perfectly lame this attempt at positivity was, and encouraged the others to give it a rest already and let BW express himself. Either way, it was a rare example of good taste winning out over something other than that. By my estimation.

Let's hear it for good taste...!

Craig
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 02:04:29 AM »

I think I encountered this guy.  Even told me he'd sent the discs twice. He was posting here several times a day back then...  Kept changing his name.  We live and we learn!

Craig

“We live in divisive times.”
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 05:29:07 AM »

"Foggy Mountain Breakdown" isn't that an old Bluegrass tune?  I can't see the BB's pulling off bluegrass competantly. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 05:36:50 AM »

"Foggy Mountain Breakdown" isn't that an old Bluegrass tune?  I can't see the BB's pulling off bluegrass competantly. 

There is some Bluegrass-tribute to the BBs out there.... Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx