gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:51:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind" is being released...  (Read 58884 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2015, 04:57:00 AM »

PS. Is it possible to download this as an MP3 anywhere or is it only available on the Target CD?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:13 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji-ZOmA0tsY
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:40 AM »

This place is priceless. People get would up because Brian's new album has received some poor reviews.

Did you mean people get wood up or wound up?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »

With a catalogue as diverse as the BBs, BB fans can enjoy very different, even polar opposite, corners of the catalogue?

Same goes for the entire "No Pier Pressure" album.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »

This place is priceless. People get would up because Brian's new album has received some poor reviews.

Did you mean people get wood up or wound up?

Ha! Oops - freudian slip ...

With a catalogue as diverse as the BBs, BB fans can enjoy very different, even polar opposite, corners of the catalogue?

Same goes for the entire "No Pier Pressure" album.

Yes it seems very Beach Boys in its diversity.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

I'm trying to buy the Target exclusive NPP CD on target.com, but the 'add to cart' button seems to be greyed out. Does that mean it's out of stock, or am I missing something obvious?

http://www.target.com/p/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-target-exclusive/-/A-17254322#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=brian+wilson

(Tried noodling around with the 'find in a store' option, but it's not available for pickup in the NYC area and none of these stores are real close to me anyway.)

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »

I'm trying to buy the Target exclusive NPP CD on target.com, but the 'add to cart' button seems to be greyed out. Does that mean it's out of stock, or am I missing something obvious?

http://www.target.com/p/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-target-exclusive/-/A-17254322#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=brian+wilson

(Tried noodling around with the 'find in a store' option, but it's not available for pickup in the NYC area and none of these stores are real close to me anyway.)

So today I was actually able to 'add to cart'... and spent 10 minutes entering every last bit of my info, then was told 'out of stock' after I clicked the final confirmation button on the final screen.

*sob*

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »

On the “Target” issue, I can say that I’ve been to at least three or four Target locations in my area. Every single store had multiple copies of the “exclusive” version of the CD, yet the website still shows it as not available at any of these (or any other in my region) locations. While their website is often wonky with tracking this sort of thing, this is pretty excessive as far as a website fail. Stock is plentiful, and they are showing it as unavailable everywhere. Long story short, don’t trust the website at all. I’d call a store and just have them physical check the shelf for it.

At the location where I bought it, *more* copies have materialized than what I saw before. I’m guessing that while on release date some folks saw shelves with 2 or 3 copies while others saw seemingly 40 or 50, most stores probably have dozens and dozens of copies and most of them are in the back.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2015, 02:26:42 AM »

I find this a very difficult recording to listen to.  Not in a bad sense though, I just mean it seems to hit me straight in my heart and soul.  That 'old' Brian voice is sorely missed.

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2015, 03:26:32 AM »

I find this a very difficult recording to listen to.  Not in a bad sense though, I just mean it seems to hit me straight in my heart and soul.  That 'old' Brian voice is sorely missed.

And, upon hearing similar-sounding vocal performances from Brian in '76-'77, others thought the exact same thing (at least the first and last sentences of your post)!
KDS
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2015, 05:20:02 AM »

As a completist, I'm glad that this version of NPP was made available in the US. 

Having said that, IMO this version of ITBOMM is pretty terrible.  I'll take the 1965 version over it any day of the week.  This makes the version of Still I Dream of It released on IJWMFTT sound polished. 

Brian's vocals are nails on a chalkboard on this track.  Hearing this is kind of a bummer after hearing his good vocals on the album proper. 

Like I said, it's nice to have in the collection, but I always either stop the CD or skip to the live Love and Mercy when I decide to play the album in its entirety (and that even means braving Runaway Dancer and Guess You Had to Be There). 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2015, 06:11:24 AM »

Blimey, I love this version! Brian chasing the Nilsson / Newman spirit and nailing it. Takes the song to a new plateau. I could handle an album along these lines and I reckon there're enough demos out there to rustle one up… just a letter or sorting the wheat from the chaff.

“We live in divisive times.”
KDS
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2015, 06:19:20 AM »

Blimey, I love this version! Brian chasing the Nilsson / Newman spirit and nailing it. Takes the song to a new plateau. I could handle an album along these lines and I reckon there're enough demos out there to rustle one up… just a letter or sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I guess if I were more into Nilsson and Newman, I'd get it. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2015, 06:54:18 AM »

As a completist, I'm glad that this version of NPP was made available in the US. 

Having said that, IMO this version of ITBOMM is pretty terrible.  I'll take the 1965 version over it any day of the week.  This makes the version of Still I Dream of It released on IJWMFTT sound polished. 

Brian's vocals are nails on a chalkboard on this track.  Hearing this is kind of a bummer after hearing his good vocals on the album proper. 

Like I said, it's nice to have in the collection, but I always either stop the CD or skip to the live Love and Mercy when I decide to play the album in its entirety (and that even means braving Runaway Dancer and Guess You Had to Be There). 
Somehow, I totally forgot about this, until the thread popped up again. I found it, and thought Brian sounded like Dennis! Not Dennis from the 70's or 80's but Dennis, mid-60's, on the studio album! I couldn't believe it.

Great track!  Love
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »

It's one of Brian's most soulful vocals, from the low voice to the fragility of when he sings the word "afraid." I have listened to it dozens of times with equal fascination and adulation.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »

Don't care for it. Don't understand why Brian cut it. Don't understand why folks here care about it. Don't understand this desire to wallow in Brian's darkest days. Don't understand why it's a bonus track on NPP.

This might be my least favorite post on this messageboard. Sorry.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »

This might be my least favorite post on this messageboard. Sorry.

Hey, welcome back, Jack

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2016, 06:52:10 AM »

I'm not sure why, but this is the most intriguing vocal of Brian's I am so addicted to.... it's like a bypass of before and after, and I don't know
why I love it to death, his voice is so full yet full of it's youthfulness that I can't even describe.  Why is this vocal so demanding of attention is
beyond my comprehension.  I love all of Brian's vocals except maybe some of those shouty late 80's things, but this to me is heaven.
The sound of his 'chops' really hit me and I wish this sound of Bri had been more used before the 'gruff' 15 big ones' stuff.  He came back
with the 'miu' album vocally to a pleasant degree, but here he is mouth watering.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2016, 09:50:05 PM »

I'm not sure why, but this is the most intriguing vocal of Brian's I am so addicted to.... it's like a bypass of before and after, and I don't know
why I love it to death, his voice is so full yet full of it's youthfulness that I can't even describe.  Why is this vocal so demanding of attention is
beyond my comprehension.  I love all of Brian's vocals except maybe some of those shouty late 80's things, but this to me is heaven.
The sound of his 'chops' really hit me and I wish this sound of Bri had been more used before the 'gruff' 15 big ones' stuff.  He came back
with the 'miu' album vocally to a pleasant degree, but here he is mouth watering.

You know, I really love the song and performance as well! I think his voice sounds absolutely great on it. It's weird, cuz it definitely sounds more like "15 Big Ones Brian" than "Pet Sounds Brian" to me, but it is head and shoulders above any lead vocal he did in the rest of the '70s, and that even includes pretty decent stuff like "Sherry, She Needs Me" and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »

You know, I really love the song and performance as well! I think his voice sounds absolutely great on it. It's weird, cuz it definitely sounds more like "15 Big Ones Brian" than "Pet Sounds Brian" to me, but it is head and shoulders above any lead vocal he did in the rest of the '70s, and that even includes pretty decent stuff like "Sherry, She Needs Me" and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

IMO Brian's 76 vocal on Sherry is one of his best post-74 vocal performaces.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2016, 12:44:31 AM »

The "new" ending of the song just kills me every time.  That waver in his voice on the last syllable.  Amazing.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »

I also wonder why he rewrote the bridge. Maybe he just forgot the original chords?
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »

I also wonder why he rewrote the bridge. Maybe he just forgot the original chords?

A little of column A, a little of column B. It's his song, his tape recorder, he can do what he wants. It's all about where the mood took him that day.

Probably forgot/didn't care.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx