gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:25:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind" is being released...  (Read 58874 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »

I think it's an interesting curio, but not something I'll need to listen to more than a handful of times.

I'll guarantee you this. I will listen to THIS track more often than 3 or 4 songs on "No Pier Pressure", which I've already listened to a handful of times.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »

Don't care for it. Don't understand why Brian cut it. Don't understand why folks here care about it. Don't understand this desire to wallow in Brian's darkest days. Don't understand why it's a bonus track on NPP.

Give us Run James Run or Metropolis or even Danny Boy. Any day.

Folks care about it because it's music that moves them.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »

Ugh.

I have less than no interest in Brian's "mysterious" vocal change of the mid-70s. He smoked a bunch of cigarettes and snorted a bunch of cocaine.

What a mystery! Who would have thought those things changed your voice?

Funny enough, there are some people don't believe coke and cigs did it, just like acid didn't eff up his brain!  And others believe he didn't do it by accident, but on purpose! Can you believe that sh*t?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »

Don't care for it. Don't understand why Brian cut it. Don't understand why folks here care about it. Don't understand this desire to wallow in Brian's darkest days. Don't understand why it's a bonus track on NPP.

Aw heey come on Wirestone!

Brian probably cut it in search of some of the pure joy that playing and singing and recording had brought to his life amid the growing pain that was towering around him at that time.  I find it a pure listening experience in this sense.  I like the humanity of it because the talent is still very evident, yet tempered by the technical flaws of the performance - I'm not explaining myself well am I...

And of course being where we are in 2015, it is a reminder of Brian's ultimate triumph.

That said, it is a slightly odd choice for a NPP bonus track, not that I'll complain.

You also raise an interesting point regarding the 'lost' tracks of the NPP sessions, particularly the intriguing Run James Run.  We know what happened to the Jeff Beck material of course.  Was there also a title mentioned that shared a name with a CATP track, or is my memory falling me?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »

Good memory!

"Until two weeks ago, I hadn’t seen him since 1974,” said Wilson, who reconnected with Chaplin to have him sing on Wilson’s next solo album, currently in the works. “It was great to see him again. He came into the studio and sang on one of my new tracks called ‘He Come Down’ -- he sang it great! It will be fun to have him at a few of our concerts.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/09/entertainment/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-jeff-beck-blondie-chaplin-tour-album-20130906
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »

Folks care about it because it's music that moves them.

It's interesting to listen to for me because it's one of the last known recorded instances of Brian's original voice seeping though before his voice went to the dogs. It's hardly a great performance in itself (compared to the original, which is amazing) but worth owning all the same.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »

Ugh.

I have less than no interest in Brian's "mysterious" vocal change of the mid-70s. He smoked a bunch of cigarettes and snorted a bunch of cocaine.

What a mystery! Who would have thought those things changed your voice?

Funny enough, there are some people don't believe coke and cigs did it, just like acid didn't eff up his brain!  And others believe he didn't do it by accident, but on purpose!
You both hit the nail on the head. Nothing cool or great about this, um, "performance". Sure, it's a curio, but I'd rather hear Dennis doing unconfident lead than Brian's drugged up, hoarse vocal acrobatics. His LY demos didn't sound *that* bad.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »

With you here. Historically it's a hugely important track but I hope it's Brian having fun in the studio. I sure as hell wouldn't play this to anyone except a hard-core fan.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »

Personally,  I prefer this version much more than the original. I really like the "new" section, with the piano key changes. I think it gives the song a more "mature" depth. It was in 1975 that The Beach Boys started to perform this song in concert with Dennis singing. I wonder if there was a consious descision to update or revive this song?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2015, 12:05:53 PM »

Personally,  I prefer this version much more than the original. I really like the "new" section, with the piano key changes. I think it gives the song a more "mature" depth. It was in 1975 that The Beach Boys started to perform this song in concert with Dennis singing. I wonder if there was a consious descision to update or revive this song?
I agree completely.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2015, 12:35:58 PM »

Good memory!
"Until two weeks ago, I hadn’t seen him since 1974,” said Wilson, who reconnected with Chaplin to have him sing on Wilson’s next solo album, currently in the works. “It was great to see him again. He came into the studio and sang on one of my new tracks called ‘He Come Down’ -- he sang it great! It will be fun to have him at a few of our concerts.”
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/09/entertainment/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-jeff-beck-blondie-chaplin-tour-album-20130906

One thing Brian has demonstrated with the last couple of projects is that he still sees an album as rightly having a consistency of tone, and that he is not above holding back material for the right future project. The fact that Brian Wilson, all through Getting in Over My Head and That Lucky Old Sun, was just sitting on a bunch of good songs he'd written in the mid-90s, waiting patiently for a Beach Boys reunion, combined with old interviews like this one, indicates to me that he probably has a stock of songs sitting around waiting for either a particular project or simply a more "appropriate" one. Brian himself has said that No Pier Pressure was intended  to be mellow and "not rock n roll" - so maybe the rock n roll songs were set aside, rather than not written.
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2015, 01:58:44 PM »

Just curious is this owned by BRI or something that Brian owns himself. I just find it hard to believe BRI would let him release it on a non beach boys album<though there were 4 on the album>
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2015, 03:15:38 PM »

Just curious is this owned by BRI or something that Brian owns himself. I just find it hard to believe BRI would let him release it on a non beach boys album<though there were 4 on the album>

They let him release the "Still I Dream of It" demo in 1995.

They let him release Carl's vocal on "Soul Searchin'" in 2004 (and the track used by the BB, for that matter).
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:34 PM »

Not very nice.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »

The last 20 seconds of this track keeps playing in my head, over and over.  I can't get over the alternate ending.  So much more than "drugged up vocal acrobatics". 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2015, 10:43:18 PM »

Maybe I'm naive but it seems like they let Brian do whatever the f*** he wants...  I guess the others could try to block it, but why?  It's something he wrote, something he recorded himself, by himself. 

The old way of doing it was, whoever paid for the studio time owned the damn recording! 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2015, 07:03:44 AM »

Just heard the track his morning for the first time, and loving it. To my ears Brian's voice is like no other period in his career and I sense he's aiming for a kind of Harry Nilsson (maybe Randy Newman?) style of delivery. Whatever, it works for me and like one or two others I prefer it to the original (actually I prefer it to most of the other material on this album but that's for another thread…): that's something I don't recall feeling about any of his other covers of his own material, except perhaps Wind Chimes and Wonderful.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »

Just got the Target CD last night & this is, by far, the best track.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »

I can only imagine that Brian will be deeply touched that you think something he did ,off the cuff, in the studio, with an old song in 1975 is better than his current material that he took a year or two to record and put on his new album.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »

To my ears Brian's voice is like no other period in his career

To mine too, except for the falsetto which sounds like his old voice.

Sounds like he may be doing a lounge-y put-on,

That's what I think too.

I can only imagine that Brian will be deeply touched that you think something he did ,off the cuff, in the studio, with an old song in 1975 is better than his current material that he took a year or two to record and put on his new album.

Samuel Beckett never was as successful again as with "Waiting For Godot", which was sort of a throwaway, no matter how much effort he put in his later works. Stuff like that happens.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »

Two years of work doesn't guarantee better results or something. Sorry. By that logic, Axl Rose working on Chinese Democracy for over a decade would mean it's, like, the greatest album of all time.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2015, 01:57:12 PM »

Sounds like the big band ideas which Brian recorded for Adult Child, I wonder if the idea for that album was perculating at that point and a more jazz inflected recording of this song was being considered.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2015, 12:34:01 AM »

How should I think then, please?

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2015, 04:18:52 AM »

This place is priceless. People get would up because Brian's new album has received some poor reviews from both professional journalists and, shock horror, fellow smiley smilers. I can almost understand this. I know how easy it is to take reviews personally when it's something you love (Paul Morley's review of BWPS, anyone?)

However, an unreleased piano demo has surfaced of Brian revisiting one of his more interesting compositions and unbelievably SSers are calling out other SSers for expressing their enthusiasm? Are there people here that haven't twigged that, with a catalogue as diverse as the BBs, BB fans can enjoy very different, even polar opposite, corners of the catalogue?

And news flash people: just because creativity stems from a dark place, it doesn't mean that a) it can't be emotive and beautiful and b) those that enjoy it are celebrating the tragedies behind the art.

Your Runaway Dancer is my ITBOMM '75 demo. Deal with it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:23:48 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2015, 04:35:54 AM »

This place is priceless. People get would up because Brian's new album has received some poor reviews from both professional journalists and, shock horror, fellow smiley smilers. I can almost understand this. I know how easy it is to take reviews personally when it's something you love (Paul Morley's review of BWPS, anyone?)

However, an unreleased piano demo has surfaced of Brian revisiting one of his more interesting compositions and unbelievably SSers are calling out other SSers for expressing their enthusiasm? Are there people here that haven't twigged that, with a catalogue as diverse as the BBs, BB fans can enjoy very different, even polar opposite, corners of the catalogue?

And news flash people: just because creativity stems from a dark place, it doesn't mean that a) it can't be emotive and beautiful and b) those that enjoy it are celebrating the tragedies behind the art.

Your Runaway Dancer is my ITBOMM '75 demo. Deal with it.

Yeah!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx