gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:59:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind" is being released...  (Read 58868 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »

I LOVE Brian Wilson. Everything about him, good and bad, I take at face value. But we must remember that this song was cut during the time seen below. No matter where you come down on this tune, the times and situation color the outcome!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:00:56 PM by petsite » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2015, 09:22:56 PM »

1975 was also the year Brian was hospitalized. Not a lot is known about it - it was a surprise to me when I read about it recently.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »

Listening to this again. Man, this is so sad. It just hit me that this is probably the last time any shed of his original voice was recorded.

Check out 1:11. His young emotive voice shines through for a brief moment on "what would I doooo" https://youtu.be/mI2rq0uGFqQ?t=71
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »

I didn't know that , Mikie.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2015, 10:23:58 PM »

Now that I think of it, 1975 was pretty much empty of any new Beach Boys material.  Which makes this recording even more of an oddity.  But regardless of Brian's mental state at the time, it's a sincere and beautiful performance and I'm glad it's out there.  Are there any other 1975 recordings from Brian in circulation?

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »

Back Home was recorded in late '75.

Other than that, there's that demo of "Lucy Jones" from earlier in the year which supposedly features Brian & Stephen Kalinich both singing lead.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »

Hmmm... I kind of surprised that this got a negative reaction, I think it's a great recording but I've always liked the recording of Still I Dream Of It, too... 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2015, 10:51:48 PM »

Now that I think of it, 1975 was pretty much empty of any new Beach Boys material.  Which makes this recording even more of an oddity.  But regardless of Brian's mental state at the time, it's a sincere and beautiful performance and I'm glad it's out there.  Are there any other 1975 recordings from Brian in circulation?

He did (awful) back ups on Johnny Rivers's version of Help Me Rhonda, and did the backups towards the end on something called Boat to Sail. Both were after ITBOMM but before Back Home. Both are still up on YouTube, I think.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »

Other than that, there's that demo of "Lucy Jones" from earlier in the year which supposedly features Brian & Stephen Kalinich both singing lead.

I hate being that guy, but "Lucy Jones" was actually recorded the same day as the "California Feelin'" demo, in November '74, and not in early '75.

And as far as other 1975 recordings of Brian, well obviously there's "Back Home" as seltaeb1012002 said. But he also does contribute vocals to Johnny Rivers recording of "Help Me Rhonda" which is also from 1975. And from the little bit that I can hear Brian on there, it definitely sounds more 15 Big Ones-ish. And then there's also Jackie DeShannon's "Boat to Sail" which also dates from 1975. And on this one it's even harder to make out Brian's part. I guess he's in those harmony stacks. But anyways, there's at least those three. And Brian also recorded Van Dyke Parks' song "Come to the Sunshine" but apparently the tape for that has been lot. Apparently this was recorded closer to the end of the year so it wouldn't be interesting to hear how he sounded on it.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »

Ah Billy, you beat me to it!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2015, 11:57:27 PM »

I hate being that guy, but "Lucy Jones" was actually recorded the same day as the "California Feelin'" demo, in November '74, and not in early '75.

And as far as other 1975 recordings of Brian, well obviously there's "Back Home" as seltaeb1012002 said. But he also does contribute vocals to Johnny Rivers recording of "Help Me Rhonda" which is also from 1975. And from the little bit that I can hear Brian on there, it definitely sounds more 15 Big Ones-ish. And then there's also Jackie DeShannon's "Boat to Sail" which also dates from 1975. And on this one it's even harder to make out Brian's part. I guess he's in those harmony stacks. But anyways, there's at least those three. And Brian also recorded Van Dyke Parks' song "Come to the Sunshine" but apparently the tape for that has been lot. Apparently this was recorded closer to the end of the year so it wouldn't be interesting to hear how he sounded on it.

Oh really? My bad. Thought I read it was cut in '75.

I've also never been able to make out Brian's part in "Boat To Sail". Great track though.

Something tells me there's a whole lot more that exists from this era that we don't know about.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »

I didn't read the whole thread....but I have to say that this is pretty amazing and should have been on MiC.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2015, 04:47:47 AM »

I didn't read the whole thread....but I have to say that this is pretty amazing and should have been on MiC.

I agree.

Pretty strange putting it on NPP but I'm glad we have it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2015, 06:48:08 AM »

After my umpteenth time listening to it, I'm getting a Ray Charles vibe from the demo in terms of some of the vocalization. Brian said on that '80s Beach Boys (25th anniversary?) TV special that he had Ray in mind when he wrote Sail On Sailor. Maybe he had Ray on his mind this time as well.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »

Don't care for it. Don't understand why Brian cut it. Don't understand why folks here care about it. Don't understand this desire to wallow in Brian's darkest days. Don't understand why it's a bonus track on NPP.

Give us Run James Run or Metropolis or even Danny Boy. Any day.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2015, 09:07:21 AM »

I could be wrong, but wasn't the damaging of his voice his choice?

I wouldn't go as far to call it that. Brian's always been insecure about his voice. He often mentions wanting to redo 'Let Him Run Wild' because he hated how he sounded "like a girl" when he sang it (despite it being one of the greatest vocal performances of his life). He's also mentioned wanting to sound manlier around the "15 Big Ones" era, which you can see while listening to songs like "Back Home" that show how even though his voice has deteriorated, he's still going a little overboard trying to sound gruff.

But the effect drugs had on his voice are still too strong for it to have been a conscious decision. It's a lot like Dennis' voice; they both deteriorated in between Holland and 15 Big Ones, when their substance abuse began to escalate, and Dennis for sure wasn't trying to sabotage his voice.
All three brothers wound up with husky sounding voices as they aged. The difference with Carl was he took better care of his voice by quitting smoking in 1985, and hiring a vocal coach to keep his voice as healthy as possible.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »

I wouldn't go as far to call it that. Brian's always been insecure about his voice. He often mentions wanting to redo 'Let Him Run Wild' because he hated how he sounded "like a girl" when he sang it (despite it being one of the greatest vocal performances of his life). He's also mentioned wanting to sound manlier around the "15 Big Ones" era, which you can see while listening to songs like "Back Home" that show how even though his voice has deteriorated, he's still going a little overboard trying to sound gruff.

But the effect drugs had on his voice are still too strong for it to have been a conscious decision. It's a lot like Dennis' voice; they both deteriorated in between Holland and 15 Big Ones, when their substance abuse began to escalate, and Dennis for sure wasn't trying to sabotage his voice.
All three brothers wound up with husky sounding voices as they aged. The difference with Carl was he took better care of his voice by quitting smoking in 1985, and hiring a vocal coach to keep his voice as healthy as possible.

Yeah, Carl quit smoking in 1985 and look where it got him.

Actually, I don't see a point where Carl's voice was ever "gruff", at least not on purpose. Nowhere's close to Brian and Dennis, where their vocal chords were ravaged by smoke and coke. Please point me in the direction where Carl was "gruff" or "raspy".
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:22:14 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2015, 10:14:06 AM »

Don't care for it. Don't understand why Brian cut it. Don't understand why folks here care about it. Don't understand this desire to wallow in Brian's darkest days. Don't understand why it's a bonus track on NPP.

Klay, it's a timely piece. A little bit of a mysterious track as it was a pivotal point in time where his voice was in permanent transition. I don't see it as morbid or dark really; maybe emotional, but not a guy who's really in trouble. I think it's nice that we have it to listen to.

But I also wonder who's idea it was to include it as a bonus track, unless they missed the boat with it being included on MIC. Maybe it wasn't available at the time for inclusion on the "GV box set, ""Endless Harmony" and "Hawthorne". I'm a little surprised Brian OK'd it for this solo release. But he OK'd "Still I Dream Of It" for his other solo album (which also seemed out of place). I can see including maybe "Love & Mercy", but this track really belongs on a comp.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »

Actually, I don't see a point where Carl's voice was ever "gruff", at least on purpose. Nowhere's close to Brian and Dennis, where their vocal chords were ravaged by smoke and coke. Please point me in the direction where Carl was "gruff" or "raspy".
Almost anything live late 80's onward. Now, I am not saying he sounds anything close to Brian or Dennis, but you can hear the change in his voice. He is my favorite singer, so I take notice when I hear stuff from that era.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2015, 11:46:44 AM »

please.

it's an absolutely beloved Brian Wilson composition sung by the man himself. probably just for fun. off the cuff. it's heartbreaking but humorous at the same time. not sure if the bridge lyrics were improvised on the spot, but I certainly suspect it. there's really nothing like this in the Beach Boys catalog. it's brilliant.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »

Actually, I don't see a point where Carl's voice was ever "gruff", at least on purpose. Nowhere's close to Brian and Dennis, where their vocal chords were ravaged by smoke and coke. Please point me in the direction where Carl was "gruff" or "raspy".
Almost anything live late 80's onward. Now, I am not saying he sounds anything close to Brian or Dennis, but you can hear the change in his voice. He is my favorite singer, so I take notice when I hear stuff from that era.

Especially Soul Searchin'.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »

please.

it's an absolutely beloved Brian Wilson composition sung by the man himself. probably just for fun. off the cuff. it's heartbreaking but humorous at the same time. not sure if the bridge lyrics were improvised on the spot, but I certainly suspect it. there's really nothing like this in the Beach Boys catalog. it's brilliant.

Agreed.

And personally, I never cared for the original!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »

Ugh.

I have less than no interest in Brian's "mysterious" vocal change of the mid-70s. He smoked a bunch of cigarettes and snorted a bunch of cocaine.

What a mystery! Who would have thought those things changed your voice?
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »

I think it's an interesting curio, but not something I'll need to listen to more than a handful of times.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »

Ugh.

I have less than no interest in Brian's "mysterious" vocal change of the mid-70s. He smoked a bunch of cigarettes and snorted a bunch of cocaine.

What a mystery! Who would have thought those things changed your voice?
I love the 2015 BW voice, but i miss the golden falsetto. Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx