gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:22:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind" is being released...  (Read 59156 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »

Wow. Finally got to listen to it. Stunning.

He sounds....I don't even know what I'd say he sounds like. He honestly does kinda sound like a halfway point between his younger voice and his 15 Big Ones voice. But somehow smoother. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like he coulda sang like this on 15 Big Ones if he felt like it. I say this because he sounds basically like he did on that album, except for what seems like more control over his voice. After listening to this, I'd say that contrary to some theories, his later '70s voice was not a "put-on" as some have surmised. I think his voice simply did change due to his lifestyle. However, he just didn't use it the way he maybe should have for awhile. I'd say that he's really used his voice to his current potential on stuff like "From There To Back Again" and "Summer's Gone" from the last Beach Boys album, and stuff like "Whatever Happened" from his new solo album. And I think that makes a huge difference. How much effort Brian puts into a vocal these days really seems to either help or hinder a song. Cuz a great vocal from him will really enhance his compositions, while a rough vocal won't always communicate his message as clearly. But I guess that's true for most artists I guess.

Regardless, I guess I have nothing else to add then hasn't already been said. Anyways, a fascinating recording.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:15:35 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2015, 11:45:59 PM »

I agree, "fascinating" is the word.  Sounds like he may be doing a lounge-y put-on, yet it's quite the ride.  Those buying the Target CD who don't know the origin will be pretty confused, I think!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:48:33 PM by Les P » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2015, 11:49:39 PM »

Perhaps if we're good, we could get The Man Himself to make a comment or two on it?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »

It's rather sad. The original voice is there and still really shines at certain registers, but as it moves around you hear the irreversible damage that was being done through so much chain smoking. It's the thing that always amazes me about Brian. Yes, there's something to be said for the husky smoker voice. But when you have a voice as good as his was, it's such a tragic thing to see it almost totally destroyed.

I agree. I'm very puzzled that so many people think this is awesome. Brian had the voice of an angel. Then he didn't. That's awesome? Just like he had the drive and ambition, with a touch of genius, to make outstanding music. And then he didn't. Was that great too?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »

Paul, whoever said it's "awesome" (very much overused word like "amazing") probably meant the track, with touches of the original voice, is awesome. His delivery here along with the piano and the emotion is awesome. I don't think anyone in their right mind would insinuate that the loss of Brian's original voice due to vocal chord damage is awesome. To me, other than Carl's and Dennis' death, the most tragic thing that happened in Beach Boys history was the loss of Brian's original voice ('74-'75). His somewhat dormant period for songwriting I think is secondary.....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:15:43 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »

Paul, whoever said it's "Awesome" (very much overused word like "amazing") probably meant the track, with touches of the original voice, is awesome. His delivery here along with the piano and the emotion is awesome. I don't think anyone in their right mind would insinuate that the loss of Brian's original voice due to vocal chord damage is awesome. To me, other than Carl's and Dennis' death, the most tragic thing that happened in Beach Boys history was the loss of Brian's original voice ('74-'75).

Ok then. That was the take I was getting from a number of these posts. If this your stance I totally agree with you. Tragic is the way I have always viewed it.

Oh, and Im also on board with your missing Taylor. Her voice and her outfits 😍 . She had on a pair of pants that tie up in front when I shook hands with her at the House of Blues Chicago in the early 00's. Yikes!  And no, I don't judge women by their looks but I'm human and sometimes we notice these things.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »

It's rather sad. The original voice is there and still really shines at certain registers, but as it moves around you hear the irreversible damage that was being done through so much chain smoking. It's the thing that always amazes me about Brian. Yes, there's something to be said for the husky smoker voice. But when you have a voice as good as his was, it's such a tragic thing to see it almost totally destroyed.

I agree. I'm very puzzled that so many people think this is awesome. Brian had the voice of an angel. Then he didn't. That's awesome? Just like he had the drive and ambition, with a touch of genius, to make outstanding music. And then he didn't. Was that great too?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »

Paul, whoever said it's "awesome" (very much overused word like "amazing") probably meant the track, with touches of the original voice, is awesome. His delivery here along with the piano and the emotion is awesome. I don't think anyone in their right mind would insinuate that the loss of Brian's original voice due to vocal chord damage is awesome. To me, other than Carl's and Dennis' death, the most tragic thing that happened in Beach Boys history was the loss of Brian's original voice ('74-'75). His somewhat dormant period for songwriting I think is secondary.....

For me , personally,  I prefer the sound of his voice here to the early years. Obviously,  not how he got there, but always preferred his mid range vocals to his higher register ( as a lead vocalist. ..in the harmony stack I feel differently). Some days I even prefer his current vocals to the early days. Just a preference.

Edit

To clarify,  when I refer to his voice 'here' I'm referring to pre-1976.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:15:28 AM by ♩♬ Brian Wilson is my Spirit Animal ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »

I'm embarrased to ask but I'm curious.  Is this recording what could be considered one of the 'Bedroom Tapes'?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:04 AM »

"The Bedroom Tapes" is just a phrase created as a journalistic convenience to refer to all of Brian Wilson's late 60s and 70s unreleased recordings.

Please delete my account
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »

Those buying the Target CD who don't know the origin will be pretty confused, I think!

I got the Deluxe CD, with this track and Love and Mercy, at HMV here in Montreal. It was $12.99.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »

Those buying the Target CD who don't know the origin will be pretty confused, I think!

I got the Deluxe CD, with this track and Love and Mercy, at HMV here in Montreal. It was $12.99.

I'm ignorant on the conversion rates but that sounds like a good deal.  I got the Deluxe CD at Target here in the states for $15.99. 

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »

"The Bedroom Tapes" is just a phrase created as a journalistic convenience to refer to all of Brian Wilson's late 60s and 70s unreleased recordings.

I figured as much.  In that case, I'm really thankful they included that demo. It really is revealing about the time and place it was recorded.  I may be in the minority but I'm really enamoured with that "Bedroom" material.  It's so raw and real.  Sure would love to see a full collection of some more of those tracks for the aborted "Adult/Child" material, etc. 

Also, big, big fan of "Love You"..which I know is polarizing.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »

Sure would love to see a full collection of some more of those tracks for the aborted "Adult/Child" material, etc. 

Just to be clear, Adult Child wasn't aborted. It was rejected by the record company.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2015, 01:01:50 PM »

My mistake.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »

My mistake.

No, not really. Quite a few people would think it's unreleased because Brian or The Boys didn't want it out. Sunflower was rejected too the first go-around. So were a couple of other albums. Holland didn't get the OK from Reprise until they jammed "Sail On Sailor" in there.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »

Sure would love to see a full collection of some more of those tracks for the aborted "Adult/Child" material, etc.  

Just to be clear, Adult Child wasn't aborted. It was rejected by the record company.

Would it be fair to say that Brian's work on A/C, and his passion to properly finish it was aborted by Brian himself (in part due to lack of support)? I think the album that got submitted became rejected partly because it was so piecemeal, with many older tracks included that have no business being on a proper album together. I find it hard to believe that was Brian's intention from the onset; I think including the subpar older tracks was a desperation move by the band.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:16:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »

Don't think so: the Adult/Child master was assembled June 27th 1977 (just over five months after the Love You master) so presumably it was delivered to Reprise - and bounced straight back - very shortly after that. Further, if the band had put the mockers on it, they'd very probably have dumped the "big band" tracks too.

The band Reprise didn't have the best of working relationships from the off: the initial versions of Sunflower, Holland & In Concert were declined and Adult/Child was flat out rejected. There's also evidence that a 1978 Christmas album was similarly bounced.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2015, 01:38:14 PM »

That's one explanation. I see them more as the tracks mentioned in the article in the LA Times, which may/may not include everything 60s/70s

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »

I believe the guy who found the bootleg in the record store (and talked about it and listed the tracks on this very board) and the 'journalist' who reported on it afterwards preceded the L.A. Times article.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2015, 03:20:28 PM »

I believe the guy who found the bootleg in the record store (and talked about it and listed the tracks on this very board) and the 'journalist' who reported on it afterwards preceded the L.A. Times article.

The "  Brother Re-Issues: Proposed Bonus Tracks  "  weren't mentioned as part of the LA Times Bedroom Tapes article, as I recall.
The record store day find was by "Klay"; the Bedroom Tapes article by Brian Chidester

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17621.0.html

http://www.laweekly.com/2014-01-30/music/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes/

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »

First reported by Chidester in L.A. Weekly, 1/30/14, updated list by Chidester on 3/5/14, reported by Klay 5/20/14. Where's the L.A. Times article?

And nowhere on those lists is "In The Back Of My Mind '75".

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »

Don't think so: the Adult/Child master was assembled June 27th 1977 (just over five months after the Love You master) so presumably it was delivered to Reprise - and bounced straight back - very shortly after that. Further, if the band had put the mockers on it, they'd very probably have dumped the "big band" tracks too.

The band Reprise didn't have the best of working relationships from the off: the initial versions of Sunflower, Holland & In Concert were declined and Adult/Child was flat out rejected. There's also evidence that a 1978 Christmas album was similarly bounced.

I don't think the band would have wanted to break Brian's heart at that point by not even submitting the tracks he'd worked hard on. But the fact that the songs were submitted doesn't mean that one can unequivocally say that Brian got the support and enthusiasm he craved and needed from his mates. Obviously Brian had many problems around this time, and I'm not discounting those problems as being part of the reason A/C was half-finished. I feel like I recall reading about bandmate(s) questioning and/or belittling the big band direction, and regardless of whether or not one wishes to say that was a perfectly justified viewpoint, particularly after Love You.. I can't think that would have *helped* Brian, who seemed to have had some pretty major self-confidence issues at the time to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:34:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

What about "Song to God"?   Shocked

Also personally, I believe this is fantastic delivery, both vocally and emotively.  I remember an article or something where Brian wished he had a manly voice like Dennis' and I think this delivery and vocal timbre is what he was talking about.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the damaging of his voice his choice?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »

I could be wrong, but wasn't the damaging of his voice his choice?

I wouldn't go as far to call it that. Brian's always been insecure about his voice. He often mentions wanting to redo 'Let Him Run Wild' because he hated how he sounded "like a girl" when he sang it (despite it being one of the greatest vocal performances of his life). He's also mentioned wanting to sound manlier around the "15 Big Ones" era, which you can see while listening to songs like "Back Home" that show how even though his voice has deteriorated, he's still going a little overboard trying to sound gruff.

But the effect drugs had on his voice are still too strong for it to have been a conscious decision. It's a lot like Dennis' voice; they both deteriorated in between Holland and 15 Big Ones, when their substance abuse began to escalate, and Dennis for sure wasn't trying to sabotage his voice.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx