gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:16:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind" is being released...  (Read 58862 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2015, 01:18:55 AM »

Anyone care to share via youtube, soundcloud etc?
Calico
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 01:59:39 AM »

Anyone care to share via youtube, soundcloud etc?

https://soundcloud.com/calico_skies/in-the-back-of-my-mind-brian-wilson-1975
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2015, 02:04:28 AM »

Fabulous!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:22:50 AM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2015, 03:03:37 AM »

Utterly mindblowing.

Perhaps the most beautiful piece done by Brian alone with the piano. Love the new lyrics also, any indication that they were written in the 70´s or where they original-but-not-used?

I think this is my favourite BW voice. He can still get that sweet but whiny falsetto that is so pronounced on Sunflower but his deep voice has such rich depth and it has that gentle rasp which gives it soul.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2015, 03:49:45 AM »

It's a nice curio but I find it odd it was added as a bonus track to the new album and not put on MIC. I don't feel it paints Brian in a very good light, the new lyrics seem to be sung off the top of his head and he sounds very "out of mind" during the whole thing. Fascinating nonetheless.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Nicko1234
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2015, 04:30:54 AM »

Thanks for posting this.

Very interesting to listen to and Brian`s voice is certainly much stronger here than it was even a year later.

His singing style has a touch of the Bruce Johnston`s about it (eg. Your Song)...
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2015, 04:51:19 AM »

Remarkable in many ways. The performance is beautiful, if flawed. There seems to be a very conscious effort to sing in that range. Brian's manly tone is, to me, a deliberate construction much more than it was a mere consequence of certain habits. Also, it's cool to think how similar to this tone he could sound now... He was so young! And: when was the last time he performed a song at the piano throughout, in such a compelling manner? (Only listened to this once, but my impression was that piano and voice were recorded in different takes).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:31:28 AM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2015, 05:39:59 AM »

He was about 33 in 1975 wasn't he?   police

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2015, 05:48:21 AM »

Great stuff! This would've fit on Adult/Child.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »

It's very interesting to hear the last traces of Brian's sweet voice co-exisitng with his more husky voice. He hasn't reached the gruffness of 15 Big Ones just yet, but it's not far off.

Exactly.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2015, 08:48:04 AM »

It's a nice curio but I find it odd it was added as a bonus track to the new album and not put on MIC.

Yes! It would have fit very nicely on MIC. Of course so would have "Big Sur 4/4" and "Carry Me Home". Maybe it was a hold-out for a future Beach Boys/Brian release. It will sure help to sell the Deluxe version of NPP!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »

It's very interesting to hear the last traces of Brian's sweet voice co-exisitng with his more husky voice. He hasn't reached the gruffness of 15 Big Ones just yet, but it's not far off.

Exactly.
Mind blowing. Just out and out mindblowing how this is such an essential part of the puzzle in the evolution of his voice. Makes one wonder if this is his last recorded thing still sounding fairly close to his "sweet" voice. Or was it "Matchpoint"?  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »

Fuckin' mind blowing.

God.

Damn.

At first it's like "that's Brian Wilson singing?! Even if you're familiar with all his "voices". Then you can really hear his "gruff" voice, then finally at the end of it that falsetto that made his voice so recognizable. Then there's parts where if we didn't know any better we'd think it was Dennis singing.

Definitely a heartbreaking rendition of that song....

And that new Love & Mercy without that super dated sounding 80s cheese production. Sweet.

He played with his various voices a lot during that period of time.  He did a mean crooner whenever he felt like it, so this wasn't a surprise to me.  I loved this, as the "crooner" isn't heard often.  Wonderful.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »

Everything that is going on here is just...wow.  Sure, the voice too, but also the way he essentially re-wrote the song.  Kinda speechless right now.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »

I strongly prefer this to the released version (which as long time members know,  has never been my favorite).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »

Billy, your dream of it being released has come true. You should cover it! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2015, 12:29:03 PM »

Tried not to listen but I am probably not going to be able to get to Target for a while.

That was pretty amazing. His voice is rougher here than in California Feelin' .

1:46 is heartbreaking though. You can tell he's trying to go high but he can't
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »

Exactly.
Mind blowing. Just out and out mindblowing how this is such an essential part of the puzzle in the evolution of his voice. Makes one wonder if this is his last recorded thing still sounding fairly close to his "sweet" voice. Or was it "Matchpoint"?  Huh

Isn't it crazy? You're kinda thrown off by what you hear at first.. but then it all starts to make sense in terms of the vocal timeline.

"Matchpoint" is nice, but I look at it as the beginning of the post-damaged voice being able to recall moments of the original voice (which he can still do today).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:35:13 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

Is it fair to say that this was recorded on March, 12 1975? Beliagio has a Brian Wilson session from then with a "unknown title"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »

For me, Dennis' version is better. But the historicity of the 1975 version makes it more interesting. This is a recording I have wanted to hear for a long time and it did not disappoint. Can't wait for the cd.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »

I really love it! Don't want to be downer but I wish it was a more "prepared" demo. It seems he is improvising the lyrics at the very moment, so sometimes the song pauses too much. But it's great to finally have this gem, a missing link in Brian's voice history.

(great version of Love & Mercy also! -is that live?-)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »

Makes one wonder if this is his last recorded thing still sounding fairly close to his "sweet" voice. Or was it "Matchpoint"?  Huh

Yeah, one of the big mysteries which remains unsolved, huh OSD? Almost like he sang that pre-1975!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »

^actual reaction, speechless. Damn.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »

1:46 is heartbreaking though. You can tell he's trying to go high but he can't
Pretty sure that little nuance was on purpose.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2015, 07:16:39 PM »

Shocked DANG! I wasn't expecting that...

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx