gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind" is being released...  (Read 58875 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »

Sooooo...great news for people buying this album in the United States!

Target will be selling a version of No Pier Pressure with both "In The Back Of My Mind" and "Love And Mercy" on there, along with the other bonus tracks that are adding to what I guess is considered the "standard" deluxe edition. I think this is great news as I now won't have to buy an import version! Super happy about this.

Anyways, here's a link for those who might be interested...

http://www.target.com/p/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-target-exclusive/-/A-17254322
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:18:47 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 09:26:37 PM »

Welcome target shoppers! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 12:08:59 AM »

Has anybody heard this version of ITBOMM yet? Even a short sound clip?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 12:46:10 AM »

And this is where I'll be buying mine

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 12:56:29 AM »

Target will be selling a version of No Pier Pressure with both "In The Back Of My Mind" and "Love And Mercy" on there, along with the other bonus tracks that are adding to what I guess is considered the "standard" deluxe edition. I think this is great news as I now won't have to buy an import version! Super happy about this.

http://www.target.com/p/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-target-exclusive/-/A-17254322

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks for sharing this awesome news  Cool Guy
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 06:29:40 AM »

Awesome!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 06:38:59 AM »

This makes a lot more sense. While Japan bonus tracks are super common, I thought it out of ordinary for the tracks to be offered in Canada but not the US. I was wondering if Best Buy or Target would get the exclusive tracks. Glad there’s a non-import alternative for some US fans at least. It’s also good in terms of product visibility and availability that Brian’s album will now definitely be available in Target stores.

I was bummed that, apart from the “Do It Again” remake, there were never any “bonus tracks” attached to the TWGMTR album. I wonder if Capitol could ever be convinced to do a “Deluxe” reissue of that with some bonus tracks and a DVD or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 09:09:15 AM »

I just tried to buy it on Target's web site and got this message "This item is not available for Store Pickup or Ship to Store". So, I am wondering, will this release not be in any stores to just buy off the shelf? Kind of sucks that I can't walk in and buy on it on release day.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »

I just tried to buy it on Target's web site and got this message "This item is not available for Store Pickup or Ship to Store". So, I am wondering, will this release not be in any stores to just buy off the shelf? Kind of sucks that I can't walk in and buy on it on release day.

I would assume they have those options disabled because the release date hasn’t arrived yet. Once the item has reached its on-sale date, I would guess they will then offer those options.

I believe a lot of online retailers that offer in-store pickup (or ship-to-store) don’t offer those options in conjunction with pre-orders. They usually allow direct online pre-orders (that ship to your address). It is kind of funny, because offering pre-orders for in-store pickup and ship-to-store would seemingly only increase sales. But perhaps they don’t know store-by-store numbers yet. If they offered guaranteed release date delivery (as Amazon often does), then it would be easy to just order it online.

I don’t anticipate this being a huge seller at Target stores. So the only question indeed will be how many copies per store they will stock. One would think that a big chain like that would be pretty consistent. But I’ve heard that on other items like movies (e.g. “exclusive steelbook” packages, etc.), they sometimes will send one store five copies and another 50.

Target stores are pretty ubiquitous in some regions at least. In my area, there are at least five or six Target stores within reasonable driving distance. I would certainly hope at least some of those stores stock enough copies that they don’t sell out if I go try to snag one on release date.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2015, 04:13:18 AM »

Record arrived at the office this morning. It's very very very moving.
Really good, way better than expected. I kinda of wish NPP was so bare sounding.
But the polished 2015 stuff will grow on me, I'm sure.

Great time to be a fan.

king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2015, 10:34:53 AM »

Anyone else heard this yet? I have. It's excellent. BW's voice was very interesting at this point in time. Gruff but still very powerful when hitting the high notes. More please!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 11:05:12 AM »

Anyone else heard this yet? I have. It's excellent. BW's voice was very interesting at this point in time. Gruff but still very powerful when hitting the high notes. More please!

How's the sound quality?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »

Good. Very good. Like the California Feeling demo. Maybe better.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »

This is fascinating! Brian sounds almost unrecognizable throughout. Truly a missing link recording here. There is some more degradation on the voice when compared to the California Feelin' demo. It leans more towards 15 Big Ones Brian, whereas CF still had him sounding kinda like Sunflower Brian. But his lung capacity here is still good. Falsetto sounds closer to "In The Still Of The Night" than say "Awake". I wouldn't mind if he had stayed in this voice for a few more years! Very interesting.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:21:25 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »

I'd love to hear more stuff from this period. It's almost like he's two separate singers.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »

Wow! Really 2:39 of pure heartbreak. Beautiful.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »

This is exquisite!  Really on par with the California Feelin' demo.   Cool 
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »

It's rather sad. The original voice is there and still really shines at certain registers, but as it moves around you hear the irreversible damage that was being done through so much chain smoking. It's the thing that always amazes me about Brian. Yes, there's something to be said for the husky smoker voice. But when you have a voice as good as his was, it's such a tragic thing to see it almost totally destroyed.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »

Oh man I'm looking forward to hearing this. I'll be at Target on Tuesday!!!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »

Funny, it seems like you're holding off like I am Billy! I'm waiting 'til Tuesday to hear it myself! Reading about it through all these posts really is making it sound as fascinating as I hoped it would be.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »

I just wrote a nice long piece about it and lost it, damn it!

Excellent studio quality recording - maybe recorded at Brother in 1975 a few months prior to the start of the 15 Big Ones sessions?

Mostly low voice throughout, great falsetto and a Sinatra-like all-balls out singing and piano ending. This was Brian's voice transition period - between the clear talking/singing voice and the raspier low voice. Still better than the 15 Big Ones raspy gutteral voice only one year later. Yeah, he could still sing with the falsetto into the late 70's albeit somewhat forced, but THIS one exhibits the clear falsetto he always had in the 60's/early 70's. This is rare - we never hear much from Brian in 1975, either written or singing, so this is a rare treat - a kind of glimpse into what his voice sounded like in this transitional period.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2015, 10:03:18 PM »

Funny, it seems like you're holding off like I am Billy! I'm waiting 'til Tuesday to hear it myself! Reading about it through all these posts really is making it sound as fascinating as I hoped it would be.

It surprised me. In a good way. You guys are gonna love it.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »

Fuckin' mind blowing.

God.

Damn.

At first it's like "that's Brian Wilson singing?! Even if you're familiar with all his "voices". Then you can really hear his "gruff" voice, then finally at the end of it that falsetto that made his voice so recognizable. Then there's parts where if we didn't know any better we'd think it was Dennis singing.

Definitely a heartbreaking rendition of that song....

And that new Love & Mercy without that super dated sounding 80s cheese production. Sweet.

No mas, por favor.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2015, 12:17:18 AM »

Fuckin' mind blowing.

God.

Damn.

At first it's like "that's Brian Wilson singing?! Even if you're familiar with all his "voices". Then you can really hear his "gruff" voice, then finally at the end of it that falsetto that made his voice so recognizable. Then there's parts where if we didn't know any better we'd think it was Dennis singing.

Definitely a heartbreaking rendition of that song....

And that new Love & Mercy without that super dated sounding 80s cheese production. Sweet.
Heartbreaking. Breathtaking. Sinatra, eat your heart out.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2015, 01:18:23 AM »

It's very interesting to hear the last traces of Brian's sweet voice co-exisitng with his more husky voice. He hasn't reached the gruffness of 15 Big Ones just yet, but it's not far off.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx