gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:09:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind" is being released...  (Read 58859 times)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »

Wow - these are both great. The new L&M is better than the original IMO. Gets the point across more.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »

I like the fact that this version of ITBOMM doesn't have strings -- just voice and piano. Unfortunately, it doesn't change my opinion about the song, which is just too jazz-oriented for my tastes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »

I really like "Love & Mercy" too!  Sounds like Taylor Mills in the mix so I assume it was recorded during her tenure.

I miss Taylor.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Was this maybe a demo he did and intended to give it to another singer? Wasn't "Still I dream of it" also proposed to Sinatra? Maybe I'm totally off....

He sounds like he has breathing problems (? - maybe he's just high) but man listen to those last notes!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:49:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »

I really like "Love & Mercy" too!  Sounds like Taylor Mills in the mix so I assume it was recorded during her tenure.

I miss Taylor.....

"Love and Mercy" is the charity single version from 2005 but without the "Walking Down the Path of Life" intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnlMQ538IA

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Was this maybe a demo he did and intended to give it to another singer? Wasn't "Still I dream of it" also proposed to Sinatra? Maybe I'm totally off....

He sounds like he has breathing problems (? - maybe he's just high) but man listen to those last notes!

That's what an 8-ball of coke does to ya!  A little wheezing going on there. And at this point he's gained quite a bit of weight.....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:58:36 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2015, 10:54:42 AM »

I miss Taylor.....

"Love and Mercy" is the charity single version from 2005 but without the "Walking Down the Path of Life" intro.

Ah, OK. Thanks.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »

I miss Taylor.....

Ah fudge. That version *was* already released on CD (I have the CD single). I guess it still counts as an "exclusive" since the CD isn't in print any longer.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »

When in 75 was that done. It really wasn't as gruff as I expected.  I am completely stunned.<in a very good way>
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »

Please don't jump on me for this, but after listening to this track and also re-listening to the California Feeling demo, I find these disturbing. Because it sounds like a guy who is extremely emotional. The way he hangs those notes, drawing them out. Yes he is emoting, but it also sounds like someone on the edge. I could be wrong, but I have been listening to Brian demo's for a LONG LONG time.

Just my opinion.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »

Its sounds to me as if he has consumed a considerable amount of Cocaine.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »

THAT could be true as well. He does sound alot like he does on I FEEL SO FINE from the Denny/Garby sessions.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »

Yeah!  ALOT!  Shocked

He sings clearer hear than the 'Love You' demos, that's for sure.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »

Is it known why Brian recorded this? Was it a conscious decision to re-record the song? Or was it just for the heck of it? At the very start it almost seems like he was just searching for a song to play, in other words a very impromptu choice/performance. Were there other takes of the song? Or were there other songs played at the same session?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2015, 02:35:59 AM »

Wow. Count me as one of the many here floored by this. Yeah, there's some raspiness and shortness of breath evident, but this is a very powerful performance. Mesmerising stuff.

I too think it sounds as though the piano and vocal have been performed at different times. There's a couple of places where the tempo of the piano track stumbles slightly, and it completely throws the vocal off, which is what would happen if you were performing the vocal to a previously recorded piano track and the rhythm of the piano track faltered. It doesn't sound to me like the kind of timing errors you make when you're performing vocal and piano simultaneously. But what do I know — I'm just guessing.

Has this recording just been languishing in the vaults all of these years, or has it only recently been discovered? Have deep-cover fans known about it for years, or is everyone as surprised about its existence as most of us here?

If it was only recently found, that would explain its absence from MiC. If MiC's collators included stuff like 'Where Is She?' and 'Why?', I can't see why they would have left this off if they'd known about it...? Unless Brian vetoed its inclusion. But then why would he do that and then include it here...?

The mystery world of Wilson continues to unveil surprises, even after all these years... I wonder what else there is in those vaults that's as good as this...?
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2015, 03:23:09 AM »

I imagine this would have been pretty much the way he would have sounded during those times he stumbled into bars to play for drink money. Cool Guy

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2015, 04:03:13 AM »

I don't know about that... the 'stumbling into bars' stuff was later, wasn't it? 1978-79 and later still? And by Love You in 1977 he already sounded waaaay worse than he does here. A couple of years in the life of Brian Wilson from 1974 to 1976 seem to have resulted in a very long journey downwards, vocally speaking.

I'd take an album of Brian singing cuts in this style from 1975 in a heartbeat (although I'd imagine there aren't enough extant recordings to create such a thing). He sounds different from his 60s peak, but he sounds different in an interesting way, and is still the master of what he's trying to do vocally for the most part (bar a couple of lines in this performance). Whereas some of those 15BO/Love You/Adult Child vocals just sound... incompetent. That's a harsh word, sure, but I have a sneaking feeling the Brian of today agrees. Adult Child *still* hasn't come out. And he sounded embarrassed when he discussed the period recently and blamed his vocal sound on laryngitis.

Yeah, right... laryngitis — and enough coke daily to frost Montserrat Caballé three times over!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2015, 04:33:58 AM »

Is it known why Brian recorded this? Was it a conscious decision to re-record the song? Or was it just for the heck of it? At the very start it almost seems like he was just searching for a song to play, in other words a very impromptu choice/performance. Were there other takes of the song? Or were there other songs played at the same session?

It's not the first time Brian recorded himself demoing an older tune... check out BW's version of Al's Susie Cincinnati from the BBs time in Holland...

*casts line*
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2015, 04:46:49 AM »

If it was only recently found, that would explain its absence from MiC. If MiC's collators included stuff like 'Where Is She?' and 'Why?', I can't see why they would have left this off if they'd known about it...? Unless Brian vetoed its inclusion. But then why would he do that and then include it here...?

They new about it at the time of MiC.  They also knew of a few dozen other tracks they decided for whatever reason not to give us.

I don't think Brian sounds drunk or high or anything.. he's just doing a casual revisiting of a song he probably hadn't played in awhile,
and tape just happened to be rolling for whatever reason. 
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2015, 05:08:29 AM »

They knew about it at the time of MiC.  They also knew of a few dozen other tracks they decided for whatever reason not to give us.

Wild. In my opinion, Brian sounds much better on this 1975 recording than he does on the California Feeling demo, and they *did* put that out on MiC. But maybe that was to contrast with the more polished version of California Feeling later on the same set?

It's all very strange. Though I'm sure there must have been reasons at the time...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:10:57 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2015, 06:37:13 AM »

One thing's for sure, we need a Bedroom Tapes box set, and NOW!!!!!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2015, 08:23:23 AM »

I was a bit let down by this song. Don't get me wrong, I feel blessed that I even had the opportunity to hear it, but it just isn't what I hoped it would be (I mean, it was probably never meant to be heard, anyway). I guess I was hoping for a more faithful rendition, albeit just a piano and Brian's voice. I can understand why it was left off of MiC, and California Feeling was included. This wasn't nearly as cohesive a performance. Clearly very impromptu. The "in the front of my mind" bits and the bridge itself just feel so bizarre.

As far as his voice, it's a very interesting document. California Feeling has more of his old falsetto, but this performance of ITBOMM does sound almost like a younger Dennis in spots, and I heard some very Carl-esque bits in there, as well. Bravo to BW for allowing its release, but it just doesn't grab me the way I had hoped.

Love and Mercy sounds great, though.  Smiley
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »

It's on YouTube too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji-ZOmA0tsY

Oh man, this got me so emotional. I was just casually browsing stuff on YouTube and decided to search for it on the off chance that somebody already uploaded it. I didn't get excited when the result popped up, cause I wasn't sure it was the real thing. I just played it...and it hit me so hard, right from the first few lines. My girlfriend was sitting near and asked what was wrong. I just kissed her.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »

I too think it sounds as though the piano and vocal have been performed at different times. There's a couple of places where the tempo of the piano track stumbles slightly, and it completely throws the vocal off, which is what would happen if you were performing the vocal to a previously recorded piano track and the rhythm of the piano track faltered. It doesn't sound to me like the kind of timing errors you make when you're performing vocal and piano simultaneously. But what do I know — I'm just guessing.

You know, I thought the same thing. But then, I think the piano playing is too erratic at times. He takes longer between phrases, and there's extra beats everywhere... It would send off any attempt at overdubbing a vocal if that were the case.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »

But that's my point - the erratic piano playing *does* throw off the vocal here and there, and so you have two lines of performance (piano and vocal) that are both temporarily out of rhythm with one another. That's what made me think that perhaps Brian played the piano first, flubbing the odd section as he did so, and then (rather as he did for the piano-only recorded version of Surf's Up multitracked after the Inside Pop performance) tried to overdub his vocal to the piano afterwards, and blew a few parts where he forgot the stumbling rhythm of the piano. For example, just before the bridge, when he gets to the lyric 'what would I do if I lose her... it'll always be inthebackofmymind' he has to rush the last part to fit over the slightly fumbled piano chords.

He also adapts the vocal to *avoid* stumbles in the piano playing. Listen, for example, to how he skirts the wrong chord in the latter half of the first verse: "Oh she made me happy, yeh [pause, piano flubs]... jus' livin' so plain..." That sounds to me like he adapted the vocal at the overdub because he had remembered that he had messed up the piano chord around that part of the song earlier. And on the final go-around, before he soars up into the falsetto ending, he sings 'whaaaaat would IIIII doooo', drawing out the words before singing 'if I lose her' with a more regular rhythm to cover over another slightly haltingly performed set of piano chords at the start of the line.

This could all be complete nonsense, though, and maybe these adaptations and faltering performance aspects happened live on the spot, as I am speculating solely on the basis of listening closely to what has just been released, and possibly drawing incorrect conclusions! Anyone know if BW performed this live, or if the vocal was overdubbed?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:58:22 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx