gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:26:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl in This is Elvis!  (Read 11702 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 02:22:34 PM »

maybe Brian can take the tape and finish it....
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »

meh
I was expecting something more from this...

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »

Musically and lyrically, that wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. A simple acoustic track, and probably would have worked that way better than a big production.

I was somehow thinking this was kind of a duet or that they traded off on the lead. But this is, performance-wise, pretty much a solo Myrna track with Carl simply singing the harmony on the chorus (sounds like they mixed Carl's voice up a bit louder than I would think a harmony vocal would typically be mixed, which isn't a bad thing for Carl fans of course). It is indeed very comforting to hear Carl's voice. Based on Schilling's description of the time frame it was recorded, I'm guessing this was recorded in 1980 more likely than 1981, not that that particularly matters.

This is essentially a Myrna track, so I'm not sure where the best venue would be to release the track if they were inclined. I suppose some sort of deluxe release of Carl's albums would be a good enough spot, since Myrna is on his albums too. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »

Musically and lyrically, that wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. A simple acoustic track, and probably would have worked that way better than a big production.

I was somehow thinking this was kind of a duet or that they traded off on the lead. But this is, performance-wise, pretty much a solo Myrna track with Carl simply singing the harmony on the chorus (sounds like they mixed Carl's voice up a bit louder than I would think a harmony vocal would typically be mixed, which isn't a bad thing for Carl fans of course). It is indeed very comforting to hear Carl's voice. Based on Schilling's description of the time frame it was recorded, I'm guessing this was recorded in 1980 more likely than 1981, not that that particularly matters.

This is essentially a Myrna track, so I'm not sure where the best venue would be to release the track if they were inclined. I suppose some sort of deluxe release of Carl's albums would be a good enough spot, since Myrna is on his albums too. 

I think I heard that he produced an album for her that is unreleased.  I wonder if any of those tracks are co-written by him.  I would like to hear that, but doubt it would ever come out.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »

I think I heard that he produced an album for her that is unreleased.  I wonder if any of those tracks are co-written by him.  I would like to hear that, but doubt it would ever come out.

I'm down for seeing anything and everything released. I don't find Carl's solo album's to be particularly awesome. A hand full of good tracks, the rest is kind of bland. What I would like to see released is a good-sounding live recording from Carl's 1981 tour. The circulating recording of his 1981 gig at "My Father's Place" (presumably from radio, or a few generations down from a regular soundboard recording) is solid-sounding recording, and the live show breathed a lot of life into the solo album tracks. They sound much less sterile when performed live, especially stuff like "Bright Lights" and "The Grammy."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »

I'm down for seeing anything and everything released. I don't find Carl's solo album's to be particularly awesome. A hand full of good tracks, the rest is kind of bland. What I would like to see released is a good-sounding live recording from Carl's 1981 tour. The circulating recording of his 1981 gig at "My Father's Place" (presumably from radio, or a few generations down from a regular soundboard recording) is solid-sounding recording, and the live show breathed a lot of life into the solo album tracks. They sound much less sterile when performed live, especially stuff like "Bright Lights" and "The Grammy."
I have that recording, and I think it might change the opinions of some who find his first solo album bland. I saw Carl with essentially the same band in 1983 and rate it one of the best shows I ever saw. Last I heard, Billy Hinsche was trying to get the first album issued on cd, but that was at least a year ago. It was puzzling that "youngblood" finally came out on a cd a couple years ago, but not the first album.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »

I agree that there isn't really a better Elvis documentary but I sure do hate those added scenes with actors and the phony narration.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 03:35:59 AM »

I agree that there isn't really a better Elvis documentary but I sure do hate those added scenes with actors and the phony narration.

I agree about the narration. Thankfully the german synchronisation was quite good and didn't try the dumb imitation. Really good.
The scenes with actors were quite good imo. And it's the only time you can see Graceland upstairs.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »

In terms of the soundtrack. When the movie came out a lot of that wasn't available but in the years since rca has put out so many better compilations that it now seems pretty irrelevant except for completists
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 03:09:14 PM »

I liked this song a lot more than I thought I would.  I wish we had more songs of Carl singing to an acoustic guitar like this one.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »

The track is now available from CD Baby:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/carlwilson1

Amazon and iTunes releases coming soon.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »

Downloaded!  Will listen at home later.
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 01:04:37 AM »

They have it available in 3 different formats.  MP3 (At 200kbps), MP3-320 (At 320kbps) and a FLAC download as well.  You can download all three for $0.99

Nice vocals from Carl and Myrna, but really..a lame, lame song.   Doesn't do it for me.

I wonder if this was written before, or after "Heaven", because of the similarity.  Is there an exact date on it?

Dogbone
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »

This is on Spotify now...

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 07:41:59 AM »

It is on iTunes now too.
gfx