gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:27:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson biography due September 29th  (Read 56783 times)
Kent
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »

Hello Jon, Thank you so much and I couldn't have done it without - you are a GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for all of your support and great work. When it comes to The Beach Boys, you are the MAN and the rest of us only serve!
Kent
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »

By the way, I have one funny Beach Boys story that only the hardest of hardcore buffs will get, so I will sign off with it. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, when I was growing up in Orange County, The Beach Boys were considered the exact opposite of cool. In fact, when my old songwriting partner and I went to see the November 1970 show at the Whiskey, we didn't even consider trying to get dates - we didn't want to get laughed at while we were getting turned down. Well, we caught the second night just before Brian went home and we were DAZZLED!!! When The Beach Boys came back to Santa Monica a few months later, we knew we had to get dates because in those days, their shows were AMAZING. So we got two cute girls to go with us, but didn't tell them where we were taking them. As we turned the corner into the Santa Monica Civic parking lot, the girls saw 'The Beach Boys' on the marquee (I am NOT making this up) and GASPED!!!  So my buddy Jeff just looked at them and said "a), its a great show and b) if you don't want to go, its a LONG WALK back to Newport..."
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »

Amazon America bumped it to mid-October yesterday.

John, is this a British book?  It sure didn't come out here, or they would have shipped it...mine had been on pre-order for months.  $15 isn't a lot to ask, but I do expect to learn something new.

"Published in the UK and the USA by Jawbone Press … London…" according to my edition; there might be a separate USA edition though, who knows?!

Thanks John.  Guess I did learn something new today.

I hope that one day someone will write a book about Carl's life.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »

Kent, respect for coming into the lion's den and facing up to your critics. Takes balls.

That said, given the views expressed here concerning the finished article, what would you have done differently given the chance ? Ignoring my nitpicking the factual errors, the basic problem most folk appear to have is that, for a biography of Carl Wilson, it's pretty light on info on the man himself. Props for stating that he had a drug and alcohol problem in the late 70s - there's still a significant number of fans who deny that.

And a purely personal question: I'm thanked in the credits, but my website, Bellagio 10452, isn't listed as a source, nor do l recall any contact with you. Confused, Farnham.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »

By the way, I have one funny Beach Boys story that only the hardest of hardcore buffs will get, so I will sign off with it. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, when I was growing up in Orange County, The Beach Boys were considered the exact opposite of cool. In fact, when my old songwriting partner and I went to see the November 1970 show at the Whiskey, we didn't even consider trying to get dates - we didn't want to get laughed at while we were getting turned down. Well, we caught the second night just before Brian went home and we were DAZZLED!!! When The Beach Boys came back to Santa Monica a few months later, we knew we had to get dates because in those days, their shows were AMAZING. So we got two cute girls to go with us, but didn't tell them where we were taking them. As we turned the corner into the Santa Monica Civic parking lot, the girls saw 'The Beach Boys' on the marquee (I am NOT making this up) and GASPED!!!  So my buddy Jeff just looked at them and said "a), its a great show and b) if you don't want to go, its a LONG WALK back to Newport..."
Thanks Kent!

That was priceless!

The "hardcores" surely get this!  LOL

Here's to you!  Beer
Kent
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »

Hello Andrew G. Doe.

Thank you for responding and I will apologize until the day I die for not putting your website in the sources - that was a huge error and I am sorry. As for listing you, if you weren't Andrew G. Doe, you would know that seeing 'Andrew G. Doe' on any information means you can take it to the bank. Thank you for all of the stellar work you've done over the years.  I owe ya! The funny thing is: back in the autumn of '70, my old songwriter and I used to drive up to LA and cruise up and down Bellagio with a copy of Sunflower hoping we might find a house that looks like the one in the gatefold and I got to relive that memory every time I went on your site.

What would I have done differently? I would have asked for more time - much more time. There were a LOT of folks who wouldn't be interviewed (mostly because they're writing their own books or didn't want to commit their opinions to a public place). I think with a little more time, I could have worn them down. If I had listed all of the people who turned me down, it would have taken up another page. I have to admit that as honored as I am to be able to make Carl's story public, I still wonder if I've made the right decision.  However, in terms of what I set out to do - which was to reexamine Carl's vital role as a musician in making some of the most important music in history, I think I got that part right and I hope it justifies the whole effort.

By the way, forgetting to list your website wasn't the only STUPID mistake I made: I misspelled Sharon Sheely's name....she went to my high school.

Thanks again - for everything!!!!

Kent
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »

Hello filledeplage,

Thank you - It's so nice to have somebody get that story. Here is another one: in autumn of 1970, I showed up at a housewarming party for some friends of mine who went to UCI. My housewarming gift was a copy of Sunlower. When I handed it to the girl who lived their, she held it up to the crowd and made a bad joke and all of the achingly hip hippies just laughed up their sleeves - it wasn't a comfortable moment but I let it slide.  For the next six months (this was the big party house in the neighborhood) I always checked and they never even took the plastic off the sleeve.

Fast forward 30 years later she tracked me down online and asked where she could find a song called 'Forever' - it was going to be her daughter's wedding song!
Kent
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »

By the bye, while I'm here I have to say By the way, while I am here, I want to remind you younger Beach Boys enthusiasts of how fortunate you are to have a website like SmileySmile.net that puts you in contact with people like Jon Stebbins, Andrew G. Doe and all of these other very knowledgeable and important people. I’m not joking – back before The Beach Boys got ‘hip’ again, the attitude among my musician buddies was sort of “when you take The Beach Boys seriously, you don’t just embarrass yourself, you embarrass your friends”. Even as late as ’72, I knew so few people who liked The Beach Boys that when we talked about them, we used ‘turkey talk’ – which is dropping an ‘ob’ in front of every vowel of a word. Lobike thobis. We did it so often that I actually got good at it. The only reason I don’t spend more time here is because on this site, I’m like that fat kid on South Park playing ‘World of Warcraft’, except my family refuses to clean up the mess.

Thank Smileysmile.net and thank you all.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

Kent, thank you for doing what no one else has done yet. I plan to get the book very soon and will review it.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »

Am currently in the process of reading it, and still a way to go so I won't pass judgement until the final word has been read but I will say, as a published author myself (the biography of David Gates, Jimmy Griffin and Bread), that given the time span you were given you've done a significantly impressive job to pull it together. I stuck at mine, from the first day of research to the day I unpacked the parcel from the publishers, for five years !! And even now I could still add further detail. Well done I say...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:43:49 PM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »

It's a bummer if people are really holding back from any interviews whatsoever specifically because they're doing their own book. Seriously, who is going to pick up a Marilyn autobiography and say, "Nah. I was going to buy it, but I just remembered she gave those five interview quotes to that Carl biography."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »

Has Kent given us a scoop here? He casually mentioned that Bruce "I'll never write a book" Johnston is actually working on one, if I read it right.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »

It's a bummer if people are really holding back from any interviews whatsoever specifically because they're doing their own book. Seriously, who is going to pick up a Marilyn autobiography and say, "Nah. I was going to buy it, but I just remembered she gave those five interview quotes to that Carl biography."

But of course that's the way most people, of the interviewees, will think about it.  Save the really good stuff for their own tomes.  
Tho, I wouldn't have thought Brian or Mike would divulge much in any case.
Seems odd to say Bruce is writing , when he so loudly proclaims he never will.  
I suppose one by Marilyn could be fairly good, depending of course, how much is really based on her own memories and not glommed from other sources.

In any case, the info that's been presented seems to try to make a better case for the Carl book, but based on the previous reviews it still seems one to wait to hit the bargain section

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »

Has Kent given us a scoop here? He casually mentioned that Bruce "I'll never write a book" Johnston is actually working on one, if I read it right.

Chances are hat Bruce isn't writing a full autobiography, just a collection of brief memories, called "Bruce's Shorts". It'll never be published cos he'll spend the rest of eternity re-adjusting it.

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »

....and he does have that "sore hand" issue that would make writing difficult.

I would think the "Sorry...I'm writing my own book" line is a polite way of saying No.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »

Great story. That's how you tell 'em!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »

Hello Kent – I have not read your new book on Carl, but I have read another title of yours: Surf Beat: Rock 'n' Roll's Forgotten Revolution. What an excellent read that was, very informative and very technical, especially when it came to guitars and guitar techniques.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »

By the way, Kent, I would have appreciated being credited for my black & white shot of Carl in the 70's...  Don't know where you got that copy with the Reprise credit; haven't ever seen that before, and they never had the rights to use it!
Sure wish you had contacted me; couldn't given you some great shots to use from Carl's show at The Roxy
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »

By the way, Kent, I would have appreciated being credited for my black & white shot of Carl in the 70's...  Don't know where you got that copy with the Reprise credit; haven't ever seen that before, and they never had the rights to use it!
Sure wish you had contacted me; couldn't given you some great shots to use from Carl's show at The Roxy

Hey Ed, I really feel we all need to see them ( like now ) please  Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2015, 12:32:24 PM »

And then we'll have world peace!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2015, 05:43:34 PM »

If you haven't been, come by my tribute to Dennis facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68  It gives a good starter course in my stuff with Dennis and The Boys.

I've also only recently started digging back through the archives, and to be honest, I'm astounded by what I'm coming across.  There are probably thousands of slides still to peruse, a lot of which have more recent significance.  And that's to say nothing of the film and video, (a small sample seen in the BBC4 "Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy")  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvUDXZW448  Patience, in the world of The Beach Boys, is definitely a virtue...
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »

If you haven't been, come by my tribute to Dennis facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68  It gives a good starter course in my stuff with Dennis and The Boys.

I've also only recently started digging back through the archives, and to be honest, I'm astounded by what I'm coming across.  There are probably thousands of slides still to peruse, a lot of which have more recent significance.  And that's to say nothing of the film and video, (a small sample seen in the BBC4 "Dennis Wilson - The Real Beach Boy")  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvUDXZW448  Patience, in the world of The Beach Boys, is definitely a virtue...

Ed:  Thanks for being so generous with all that you have in your archives.  You're a guy who could write a valuable book as you're not into promoting "your role" in it all and you have no ax to grind.  You loved the guys but don't mind the warts.  I believe that's REALLY loving a friend.
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2015, 07:29:46 PM »

Ed- be an author
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2015, 07:44:22 PM »

Concur!!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »

Ed:  Thanks for being so generous with all that you have in your archives.  You're a guy who could write a valuable book as you're not into promoting "your role" in it all and you have no ax to grind.  You loved the guys but don't mind the warts.  I believe that's REALLY loving a friend.

Ed- be an author

Concur!!

Thanks to all, (especially you, Debbie!), and I'll try to fulfill everyone's wishes before too long

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx