gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:58:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson biography due September 29th  (Read 57088 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »

Hope the author talks to these guys at length: David Marks and Billy Hinsche. And Al Jardine. Pretty good guitar players and vocalists in their own right.

By the way: The announced date of the book's release date is my birthday as well – 9/29/50.

Wow! The second oldest poster documented on the board! Congratulations!

Damn, Jon, don't you realize you're screwing with the narrative of the board elite?  The board cynics won't take kindly to such news.

Not me. I'm a Positive, Hopeful, Trusting, Optimistic, Cheerful, Pollyanna-type guy.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »

It's being released on my birthday as well - 9/29/95.   LOL   Wink
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »

Thanks for the info Jon.  Your input gives me hope that the book will be worth the time it takes to read it.  Glad, then, that I ordered it.  I KNEW you would give us something worthwhile, one way or the other, on 'this'. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »

It's being released on my birthday as well - 9/29/95.   LOL   Wink

Can't be true. I remember meeting The Cincinnati Kid in Cleveland in 1968. Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »

Kent Crowley. Any relation to James Crowley in the U.K.?

Should I know/know of this person ? 'Cause I'm coming up short.  Smiley

Isn't/wasn't there a Crowley that use to frequent the BBB board and attended a convention or two over there? Maybe I got the name wrong and it just sounds like Crowley. I'm probably way off (which has been known to happen).

Ooooohhhh, you mean Crowther - don't get me started on him. I'd be permanently banned inside fifteen seconds.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2015, 01:56:31 PM »

Isn't/wasn't there a Crowley that use to frequent the BBB board and attended a convention or two over there? Maybe I got the name wrong and it just sounds like Crowley. I'm probably way off (which has been known to happen).

Ooooohhhh, you mean Crowther - don't get me started on him. I'd be permanently banned inside fifteen seconds.

You could never be permanently banned, you're too important to this board!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of!  Got him confused with Crowley for some reason.  Geez!  Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2015, 07:19:37 AM »

Looking to this books release as well. The cover looks like Early 80's Carl to me similar to the album cover on his first Solo album. Hopefully that album gets a remastering and re-release some day too.

Jet without wings
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »

Looking to this books release as well. The cover looks like Early 80's Carl to me similar to the album cover on his first Solo album. Hopefully that album gets a remastering and re-release some day too.

Jet without wings
  I had heard a year or so ago that Billy Hinsche was working on getting that album a cd release, but have heard nothing since.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »

didn't see it mentioned here but I just watched an interview with the author on YouTube on the release of his surf music book.  13 minute interview.   He seem s to be genuinely interested and excited about the subject matter.  grew up in Newport Beach.    I think we can expect to hear some good stuff about Carls musical evolution and guitar style and equipment.  that alone would be worth a read.    I didn't provide a link here but just look up the Crowley interview on YouTube.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »

By the way: The announced date of the book's release date is my birthday as well – 9/29/50.

[Wow! The second oldest poster documented on the board! Congratulations!]

6/22/50. Wife 9/11/53. She's been a fan since we met in high school.  Comes with the territory.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2015, 04:52:39 AM »

To slightly revise my previous comment, I've been made aware that the author has spoken to people close to Carl, so maybe my misgivings are somewhat misplaced. We'll see.

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »

Kent Crowley's Surf Beat, Rock 'n' Roll's Forgotten Revolution (Backbeat Books, 2011) should be essential reading for anyone interested in Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, and the music that emerged from Southern California in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Crowley is a formidable researcher and writer. He fills each sentence with a remarkable amount of information recounted in colorful and engaging prose. Surf Beat is a great, informative read. It also includes end notes, sources, acknowledgments, bibliography, and an extensive index -- all hallmarks of a well-constructed book. I have no doubt Crowley will bring the same ambitious, enthusiastic approach to Carl Wilson's story. I look forward to reading Long Promised Road and Crowley's insightful take on Carl's life and his seminal role in American popular music.  Crowley should be applauded for tackling the story of the youngest Wilson brother.

Cooperation with family and friends can be a double-edged sword. While it enhances a story with personal anecdotes, perspective, and images, it can also be an impediment to a truer understanding.   

Keep in mind, for his masterful John Adams, I am fairly certain David McCullough did not interview John Quincy Adams.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »

To slightly revise my previous comment, I've been made aware that the author has spoken to people close to Carl, so maybe my misgivings are somewhat misplaced. We'll see.

Are misplaced misgivings the same as placed givings?  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2015, 12:22:06 AM »

Most odd. Just had a notification from Amazon UK, telling me that the book has been put back... roughly 24 hours. Most odd.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2015, 06:48:19 AM »

In my experience with Amazon (both US and UK), they are notoriously sketchy about release dates for books. While not always ironclad, their listings and release dates for CDs or DVDs/Blu-rays tend to be pretty spot on once the item has been “officially announced” and then they go up on the site. But books are all over the place. Dates get pushed back, pushed forward (though seemingly much more rarely than getting pushed back), and sometimes stuff just keeps its release date, and once the date passes and it’s clear the thing isn’t out yet, Amazon just shows it as out of stock or backordered rather than pushing the release date back.

It appears some of this has to do with the publishing industry in general, which for whatever reason doesn’t stick to firm release dates the way music and movies do (though I would imagine HUGE high-profile books stick to release dates more firmly). Having tracked other types of items on Amazon, collectibles and whatnot, it seems most everything on their website has really hit-and-miss availability as far as release date, with the exception of music and movies (and perhaps some other stuff with firm release dates like, I would assume, video games, some electronics, etc.)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »

Which is exactly why I don't preorder books.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »

I managed to get a glimpse of portions of it and it is well written.  He interviewed a number of musicians that played with Carl and some insiders as well.  The problem for a biographer of Carl is that no one who knew him is going to really tell the whole truth about him. Meaning-they are not interested in sharing the dirty laundry.  That is admirable, but it makes it difficult to write a really in depth biography.  So for example-while the author has to mention Carl's late 70s descent intro drug problems-he merely repeats what is known-no one went on the record to tell him anything more.  Also Carl was such a private person and didn't talk about himself.  If he had a diary or shared many secrets with wife and family-they aren't sharing or talking. So the first half of the book is basically just a Beach Boys biography-because how can you write in depth about Carl's 1946-1970 experiences when he hardly talked about them and no one else wants to betray his confidence.  So Carl's POV is mostly absent.  But it is a good read and has interviews with people that interacted with him in his professional life.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2015, 11:28:29 AM »

Is it more of a cut-and-paste type of book to tell some of the history from quoting previously published sources, then?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »

I really enjoyed Crowley's Surf Beat, Rock 'N' Roll's Forgotten Revolution (Backbeat, 2011) and will read Long Promised Road. But, for the reasons Ian mentions above, I sympathize with any Carl biographer because one can only get just so close to creating an honest and truthful depiction of a person without the unvarnished input of family, friends, colleagues, and associates.  But that reticence is a very understandable human quality.  I suspect we all have events in our lives and aspects to our personalities we would rather not see chronicled in print.  So, when an individual consents to a biography, they must be ready to discuss their strengths and weaknesses, no matter how distasteful.

On a related subject . . . I would love to see a definitive account of the Beach Boys musical journey a la The Beatles Anthology with companion audio and video releases.  In the meantime, I look forward to Mike's and Brian's books, and hope they further document the history of the greatest band America has ever produced.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:41:55 AM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

I think in this case, those who were closest to Carl are respecting Carl's own distaste for tell-all journalism, which from what I've heard (and witnessed) was strong.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »

So what sources are being used to fill in the story and history? Is it going to rely on things previously published to fill those in?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »

It looks like he interviewed (among others) Desper, Dave Beard, Dave Marks, Jon Stebbins, Chip Rachlin, Chris Farmer, Marilyn Wilson, Justyn Wilson (though his voice is hardly evident in the book-so he probably did not reveal much), Alan Boyd, John Daly.  So he talked to some good folks-but they did not reveal much to him that isn't already out there-he was a nice guy and a good dad and a great guitarist/singer.  Like I said it is good and I haven't read the full thing. But I noticed that the story basically ends in the 80s-with only a few pages covering 1990-1998.  Carl's ex-wife and widow aren't interviewed and neither are any fellow Beach Boys. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »

I should note-that when Jon and I wrote our book we intended to cover the 90s in a lot more detail but the publisher didn't want the book to exceed a certain number of words, so 1986-2012 basically became a list with occasional comments.  Maybe the same thing befell this book.  Publishers often force authors to cut a lot.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »

05/19/1948.....do I win a new car or something ?

[Wow! The second oldest poster documented on the board! Congratulations!]

6/22/50. Wife 9/11/53. She's been a fan since we met in high school.  Comes with the

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:11:48 PM by jeffh » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx