gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:37:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson biography due September 29th  (Read 57306 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2015, 01:07:53 PM »

sh*t! OSD wins the grand prize! Two keys of Lebanese Blonde Hash, a trip to Disneyland, and a grand tour of Beverly Hills including lunch with Brian Wilson at his favorite deli, and a walk around the park afterward with Brian and his 11 dogs!  OSD is officially the King of Oldfartdom unless someone else steps forward and fesses up!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »

OSD!!! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »

Happy Dance
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »

No Mikie...  It ain't me.  OSD has me by just a hair over 4 years.  I'm still a relative 'pup'.  And that's cool.   With my lungs on the fritz...the HASH is but a distant memory of  time well wasted.  And the walk?  With how many dogs?  Have fun.

I'm good. Cool Guy

To OSD...OLD F A R T Extraordinaire> w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! Old Man   w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! Drinking Buddies
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:32:10 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »

Is there any chance that Carl may have started the process or took notes for a future Auto Biography that his wife or Jerry Schilling found or had ect
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »

I'm looking forward to Chapter 17: Two Mai Tais and a Valium

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »

I'm looking forward to Chapter 17: Two Mai Tais and a Valium

Yeah, a low point in Carl's career. Perth Entertainment Center, Perth, Australia. March 14, 1978. Carl slurred through God Only Knows and Good Vibrations, then fall down go boom!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »

sh*t! OSD wins the grand prize! Two keys of Lebanese Blonde Hash, a trip to Disneyland, and a grand tour of Beverly Hills including lunch with Brian Wilson at his favorite deli, and a walk around the park afterward with Brian and his 11 dogs!  OSD is officially the King of Oldfartdom unless someone else steps forward and fesses up!
I'd be more than honored to wear that crown and take possession of the throne (not that one)! Whilst I reside over Oldfartdom let no man cast a shadow of doubt upon who is indeed the oldest poster on this thy board. OOPS-completely forgot about BDW. Nevermind.  Old Man

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »

Yeah, a low point in Carl's career. Perth Entertainment Center, Perth, Australia. March 14, 1978. Carl slurred through God Only Knows and Good Vibrations, then fall down go boom!
It was probably more than one valium.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:28:13 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »

He was going through some personal difficulties at the time and he made a mistake. Luckily, he bounced back and kicked it. If it was indeed heroin, he got the monkey off his back quickly and lived another 20 years to entertain us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsGXmt4TLdM

halblaineisgood
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:26 PM »

Lady: "do you ever take anything stronger than beer?"
 Carl:"sometimes I take a drink"
Carl was smooth with the interviewers.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:09:47 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 10:18:03 PM »

He was going through some personal difficulties at the time and he made a mistake. Luckily, he bounced back and kicked it. If it was indeed heroin, he got the monkey off his back quickly and lived another 20 years to entertain us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsGXmt4TLdM
It's unfortunate that some people make a big deal out of one bad show, or one bad tour in Carl's long career. Maybe because it was so out of character for him? I hope that's all it is, not a thing of "loving to see the good guy fall down".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »

It was very out of character for him. I may be mistaken, but I don't think there were any other incidents that were ever documented about Carl being inebriated while on stage. While listening to him on stage that day it sounded funny, but I don't think anybody was laughing when he fell down. I think the band understood what happened and forgave him right away. But the Australian press obviously made a big deal about it, and he was still a little high the next day, as can be seen during the press interview. If he'd done it in America, it probably wouldn't have been acknowledged by the press - they were use to seeing singers stoned or drunk on stage all the time. Carl continued having his drinks before/after concerts right up until his last concert. Mike Love was very surprised and thought he should have quit as soon as he found out he had cancer.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »

Carl continued having his drinks before/after concerts right up until his last concert. Mike Love was very surprised and thought he should have quit as soon as he found out he had cancer.
It reads like you're saying Mike was very surprised he was having drinks.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:09:36 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »

It's unfortunate that some people make a big deal out of one bad show

It WAS a big deal, and the respectable part about Carl in that story is that he took the hint and got his stuff together again after that. Most respectable, I think. Never again did he sound as bad as he did on the three albums recorded just before that incident.

I could be all wrong, but I think that the termination of his own incarnation of the Beach Boys - with Ricky and Blondie - and the return of a not well Brian to the helm shattered Carl somewhat. On 15BO, Love You and MIU his vocals sound dazed, or drunk, or stoned to me. No new Carl compositions either. Then the Perth incident, and then on LA he sounds sober and gives great performances again. That's my take on it anyway, I hope I got the timeline right at least.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2015, 01:04:36 AM »

It was very out of character for him. I may be mistaken, but I don't think there were any other incidents that were ever documented about Carl being inebriated while on stage. While listening to him on stage that day it sounded funny, but I don't think anybody was laughing when he fell down. I think the band understood what happened and forgave him right away. But the Australian press obviously made a big deal about it, and he was still a little high the next day, as can be seen during the press interview. If he'd done it in America, it probably wouldn't have been acknowledged by the press - they were use to seeing singers stoned or drunk on stage all the time. Carl continued having his drinks before/after concerts right up until his last concert. Mike Love was very surprised and thought he should have quit as soon as he found out he had cancer.

You're right about the Australian press Mikie,  They made a huge deal out of it, like they do with everything.  Carl may have embarrassed himself a little on stage but it was truly the Aussie press that came out looking unprofessional, nasty and truly embarrassing.  Pack of rabid dogs.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2015, 01:23:03 AM »

Carl may have embarrassed himself a little on stage but it was truly the Aussie press that came out looking unprofessional, nasty and truly embarrassing.  Pack of rabid dogs.

Were you aware of it at the time it happened? You were very little at the time. I don't think in 1978 I was aware of the Beach Boys other than that the oldies radio show my father listened to on Saturdays used Barbara Ann as a jingle. - I'm not arguing, just asking. angel

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2015, 01:26:29 AM »

Carl may have embarrassed himself a little on stage but it was truly the Aussie press that came out looking unprofessional, nasty and truly embarrassing.  Pack of rabid dogs.

Were you aware of it at the time it happened? You were very little at the time. I don't think in 1978 I was aware of the Beach Boys other than that the oldies radio show my father listened to on Saturdays used Barbara Ann as a jingle. - I'm not arguing, just asking. angel

Of course not,  I've seen clips of the so called "interview" with Carl by the Aussie media.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2015, 01:36:15 AM »

It'll be interesting to see if the book addresses this tour, and the background as to why Carl was, frankly, off his face.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2015, 04:14:32 AM »

You're right about the Australian press Mikie,  They made a huge deal out of it, like they do with everything.  Carl may have embarrassed himself a little on stage but it was truly the Aussie press that came out looking unprofessional, nasty and truly embarrassing.  Pack of rabid dogs.
Buck-and-a-half hookers

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 06:27:22 AM »

Carl was so private that this is kind of a Catch-22 situation... if anyone close to Carl spoke to the biographer, they probably wouldn't have given much away. And if no one spoke to the biographer, what's he really gonna tell us that we can't find from using the search function on this board?

Does anyone really think this is going to be a great biography?

Having said that, i don't know much about Carl's life so it'd be interesting to find out even a little more.

These are good and important questions. I’m hopeful this will have some insight and tell us things we don’t already know. As I mentioned in another thread, I would hope the author had access to some friends and family so that we get some degree of new info. If we just get a reiteration of past biographies with a more narrow focus towards Carl-related events, then it indeed could just end up being like Carlin’s book without as much solo Brian information. I would hope the author was able to get some real, firm, new information and insights. And/or that the author is just *really* good at sleuthing extant sources for info we didn’t already know about Carl.

I would hope but would not expect that any associates that talked to the author would be willing to be frank (but respectful) and get into things like the Australia 1978 debacle, the mid-late 90’s inter-band politics (Mike/Al, Carl’s attitude towards the Paley material, etc.), and so on. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »

It was probably more than one valium.

From what I heard from a reliable (and, sadly, departed) source...it was more like two Mai Tais, a valium....and a few shots of H.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »

I could be all wrong, but I think that the termination of his own incarnation of the Beach Boys - with Ricky and Blondie - and the return of a not well Brian to the helm shattered Carl somewhat. On 15BO, Love You and MIU his vocals sound dazed, or drunk, or stoned to me. No new Carl compositions either. Then the Perth incident, and then on LA he sounds sober and gives great performances again. That's my take on it anyway, I hope I got the timeline right at least.

I admire the guy for going through all he had to go through and not come out in worse shape than he did...on the other hand, I'm sure his early death may have been brought on by all the crap he had to deal with. Yeah, he was a heavy smoker for a long time, and yeah, I'm sure that was undoubtedly a primary cause, but being essentially the adult of the group (even at age 18 he was running the rehearsals, even with Brian present!...and Audree said he was "born 40"), watching both of his brothers destroy themselves (I'm sure there were years in which his phone would ring and he would wonder if it were *that* call), lawsuits, dealing with Landy, dealing with Murry, dealing with a lot of dry years, having his own personal issues (draft-to-CO, divorce, addictions, whatever else have you), it couldn't have been good for his health.

According to his entry on Wikipedia, he was an ordained minister. Now, THAT I want to know more about.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »

Carl continued having his drinks before/after concerts right up until his last concert. Mike Love was very surprised and thought he should have quit as soon as he found out he had cancer.
It reads like you're saying Mike was very surprised he was having drinks.

I think he was. That was my take after reading the interview with Mike not long after Carl's death.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2015, 07:26:01 AM »

Buck-and-a-half hookers

Love the Sinatra reference! "The Night We Called It A Day" aka "All The Way" with Dennis Hopper as Frank was just shown on TV last night.  Wink  

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx