gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:31:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE (May 1967 Mono Mix)  (Read 7714 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 03:20:08 PM »

I always try and sequence it as if it were 1966 - GV at the top of side two, Cabinessence ending side 1. 14 tracks. The elements not all on side 2. And I get rid of the 3 movements from 2004
Side 1
1. Our Prayer
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Vega-Tables
4. Do you dig worms?
5. Wonderful
6. The Old Master Painter/You were my sunshine
7. Cabinessence

Side 2
8. Good Vibrations
9. Wind Chimes
10. The Elements: Fire
11. I love to Say dada
12. Look
13. Child is the father of the man
14. Surf's Up

This is probably my favourite "non-December tracklisting" version. I'll definitely add Great Shape/Barnyard into Heroes and Villains, if I had to follow your tracklisting, just to make it more 1966-ish.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »

HERE IS SIDE 1: (FINALLY, SWEET JESUS!!)

https://vimeo.com/144187144

Very good job indeed! Love the way HV is unpredictable!  Cool
Looking forward to the other side!
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 08:49:18 AM »

seems to have gone.... Sad
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »

seems to have gone.... Sad

Fear not...

Here are brief liner notes to an upcoming update on my mix:

This is my own compilation/mono mix of one particularly famous unfinished album, "SMiLE." I created my own compilation/mix of this album as per the testimonials and interviews of Van Dyke Parks, Brian Wilson and many others who took part in this project to recreate, as closely as possible, what "SMiLE" could've been in 1966/67 WITHOUT digitally altering the music, adding fly-ons from Brian Wilson's 2004 solo rendition of SMiLE, and only using material from 1966-1971. I used a 12-track shortlist sent in by Wilson on December 1966 as the blueprint for my own running order, to remain true to the documented intentions of what Wilson and Parks where conceiving, conceptualizing, and planning to put out in late 1966.

Musical Genres/Sub-Genres: Progressive Rock, Art Pop, Rock Opera, Psychedelic Rock, Impressionistic Music, Yodelling, Baroque Pop, Contemporary Americana, Folk, Avant-Garde, Comedy, Cowboy Songs, Spoken Word, Country, Comic Songs, Doo-Wop, Revival Music, Barbershop Singing, Chanting, Noise, Cartoons, Field Recordings.
LOOK! LiSTEN! ViBRATE! SMiLE!

Track Running Order and Track/Side Lengths:

Side A: [21:35]

(Hidden Track: Our Prayer) [0:58]

1. Heroes and Villains [5:12]

2. Vega-Tables [3:41]

3. Do You Like Worms? (Roll Plymouth Rock) [3:42]

4. I'm In Great Shape: [[The Barnyard Suite]] (Barnyard/I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop) [2:35]

5. The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine [1:55]

6. Cabin Essence (Home On The Range/Who Ran The Iron Horse?)  [3:30]

Side B: [20:18]

7. Good Vibrations [3:38]

8. Wonderful [2:04]

9. Wind Chimes [2:35]

10. The Elements: [[The Elements Suite]] (Fire/Water/Air/Earth) [4:50]

11. Child Is The Father of The Man [1:45]

12. Surf's Up [4:12]

(Hidden Track: You're Welcome) [1:08]

Total LP Running Time: [41:50]
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 04:58:39 AM »

Fear not...

Here are brief liner notes to an upcoming update on my mix:

This is my own compilation/mono mix of one particularly famous unfinished album, "SMiLE." I created my own compilation/mix of this album as per the testimonials and interviews of Van Dyke Parks, Brian Wilson and many others who took part in this project to recreate, as closely as possible, what "SMiLE" could've been in 1966/67 WITHOUT digitally altering the music, adding fly-ons from Brian Wilson's 2004 solo rendition of SMiLE, and only using material from 1966-1971. I used a 12-track shortlist sent in by Wilson on December 1966 as the blueprint for my own running order, to remain true to the documented intentions of what Wilson and Parks where conceiving, conceptualizing, and planning to put out in late 1966.

Musical Genres/Sub-Genres: Progressive Rock, Art Pop, Rock Opera, Psychedelic Rock, Impressionistic Music, Yodelling, Baroque Pop, Contemporary Americana, Folk, Avant-Garde, Comedy, Cowboy Songs, Spoken Word, Country, Comic Songs, Doo-Wop, Revival Music, Barbershop Singing, Chanting, Noise, Cartoons, Field Recordings.
LOOK! LiSTEN! ViBRATE! SMiLE!

Track Running Order and Track/Side Lengths:

Side A: [21:35]

(Hidden Track: Our Prayer) [0:58]

1. Heroes and Villains [5:12]

2. Vega-Tables [3:41]

3. Do You Like Worms? (Roll Plymouth Rock) [3:42]

4. I'm In Great Shape: [[The Barnyard Suite]] (Barnyard/I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop) [2:35]

5. The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine [1:55]

6. Cabin Essence (Home On The Range/Who Ran The Iron Horse?)  [3:30]

Side B: [20:18]

7. Good Vibrations [3:38]

8. Wonderful [2:04]

9. Wind Chimes [2:35]

10. The Elements: [[The Elements Suite]] (Fire/Water/Air/Earth) [4:50]

11. Child Is The Father of The Man [1:45]

12. Surf's Up [4:12]

(Hidden Track: You're Welcome) [1:08]

Total LP Running Time: [41:50]

[/quote]

I know "Child" is a little short, but I couldn't get a hold of that vintage test edit, and couldn't have done it justice.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:27:36 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 08:46:46 PM »

Would love to hear this mix - all the links on Vimeo don't seem to work though.  Can you repost?  Thanks!
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »

Would love to hear this mix - all the links on Vimeo don't seem to work though.  Can you repost?  Thanks!

Well, you know what? Here's my updated Side One, incorporating the revised running order. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/145680537

(As for CITFOTM, I decided to use my 1:45 mix, [which is basically SMiLE Sessions without that Child intro thing], as opposed to a 3:03 mix based on Wilson's original edit. The reason why is because I feel it tackles all the major "Child" vocal and instrumental parts from the 3:03 mix without repetition, and in a coherent order, since there are no existing additional verse vocal parts anyways [but according to Linnet, there where! They're just nonexistent now, possibly wiped out]. I reckon 1967 Brian would've digged it for an album cut).
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »

Would love to hear this mix - all the links on Vimeo don't seem to work though.  Can you repost?  Thanks!

Well, you know what? Here's my updated Side One, incorporating the revised running order. Enjoy!

(As for CITFOTM, I decided to use my 1:45 mix, [which is basically SMiLE Sessions without that Child intro thing], as opposed to a 3:03 mix based on Wilson's original edit. The reason why is because I feel it tackles all the major "Child" vocal and instrumental parts from the 3:03 mix without repetition, and in a coherent order, since there are no existing additional verse vocal parts anyways [but according to Linnet, there where! They're just nonexistent now, possibly wiped out]. I reckon 1967 Brian would've digged it for an album cut).

I think what you'll all dig is "The Elements" on Side 2. It's 4:50 minutes long (Not incredibly long once you consider some "Heroes" acetates went on for 4-6 minutes). I am one of those people that an Elements Side is bullshit. If the SMiLE Sessions kept Side One as is, and Side Two relatively the same, but with a track called "The Elements" added before Child or Surf's Up, instead of a whole Elemental Side, we'd probably get a more accurate representation of what SMiLE could've been in '67, without the odd "Three Sides" blueprint, which is DEFINITELY NOT how SMiLE would've been in 66/67.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:36:47 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »

Nevermind, 3:03 mix it is. Vintage accurate, and it balances side lengths out.

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »

Side 2. No You're Welcome, since it ruins the climaxing drama of Surf's Up...

Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/146388962

(The Water sounds on The Elements are not vintage 1966, btw).
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »

Would love to hear this mix - all the links on Vimeo don't seem to work though.  Can you repost?  Thanks!

I think what you'll all dig is "The Elements" on Side 2. It's 4:50 minutes long (Not incredibly long once you consider some "Heroes" acetates went on for 4-6 minutes). I am one of those people that an Elements Side is bullshit. If the SMiLE Sessions kept Side One as is, and Side Two relatively the same, but with a track called "The Elements" added before Child or Surf's Up, instead of a whole Elemental Side, we'd probably get a more accurate representation of what SMiLE could've been in '67, without the odd "Three Sides" blueprint, which is DEFINITELY NOT how SMiLE would've been in 66/67.

I could kiss you for this post

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »

Thank you!  LOL
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »

So what did y'all think? Anything you particularly digged on this fan mix? Did I nail The Elements, or not so much? Let me know. I'm eager to know what you all have to say.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »

So what did y'all think? Anything you particularly digged on this fan mix? Did I nail The Elements, or not so much? Let me know. I'm eager to know what you all have to say.

Awesome work! I absolutely love your Elements track, even if the water sounds aren't vintage. Where are they from exactly?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »

Awesome work! I absolutely love your Elements track, even if the water sounds aren't vintage. Where are they from exactly?

From an iTunes sound library, containing water sounds. Mixed down to mono, and lowered in volume to compliment the water chant. I do not believe in the idea Dada was water. There is very little evidence to say Dada eas the water section, other than the fact that it got recylced to become Cool Cool Water....
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »

From an iTunes sound library, containing water sounds. Mixed down to mono, and lowered in volume to compliment the water chant. I do not believe in the idea Dada was water. There is very little evidence to say Dada eas the water section, other than the fact that it got recylced to become Cool Cool Water....

TBH, no vintage water sounds exist, although they did exist, as well as a rough take of an "Elements : Air" that Brian seemed to have suggested were attempted, yet not complete. In 1966, "The Elements: Earth" was proposed as Vega-Tables, but then in 1967, it got branded into a single. Either way, the point is, I'm always frustrated when somebody flys-on a 2004 "Worms" lead vocal part onto the 66 backing, but there isn't much difference between water sounds from 49 years ago, compared to water sounds, let say, 10-5 years ago.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx