gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:59:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yet Another New Member  (Read 6010 times)
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

Hello everybody. I've been reading different threads on this board for months now, so I figured I might as well join.
Let's see...I've lived in Utah my entire life, and the first Beach Boys songs I heard were probably "I Get Around" and "Surfin' U.S.A." when I was twelve. I'd always thought of them as a surf band until about 2013, when I found out about Smile and Pet Sounds. "God Only Knows" was my favorite song off of the album, and eventually I ended up buying "That's Why God Made the Radio," which is the first BB album I bought. "Summer's Gone" stood out to me the first time I listened to it, and it's still one of my favorite songs by the Beach Boys.
My top 5 Beach Boys albums (not in order) are Holland, Surf's Up, Pet Sounds, Smile, and Love You. Brian is probably my favorite songwriter in the Beach Boys, but I really love Dennis' work as well, whether it's with the Beach Boys or Pacific Ocean Blue. I don't have a favorite Beach Boys song, because I like so many of them. I've been really looking forward to NPP, and I'm happy to hear that Brian is doing the lead vocal on Last Song.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »

Get out while you still can.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »

Welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »

Hi all,

Welcome to the SSMB.

Happy Friday to all of you!!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »

Hello everybody. I've been reading different threads on this board for months now, so I figured I might as well join.
Let's see...I've lived in Utah my entire life, and the first Beach Boys songs I heard were probably "I Get Around" and "Surfin' U.S.A." when I was twelve. I'd always thought of them as a surf band until about 2013, when I found out about Smile and Pet Sounds. "God Only Knows" was my favorite song off of the album, and eventually I ended up buying "That's Why God Made the Radio," which is the first BB album I bought. "Summer's Gone" stood out to me the first time I listened to it, and it's still one of my favorite songs by the Beach Boys.
My top 5 Beach Boys albums (not in order) are Holland, Surf's Up, Pet Sounds, Smile, and Love You. Brian is probably my favorite songwriter in the Beach Boys, but I really love Dennis' work as well, whether it's with the Beach Boys or Pacific Ocean Blue. I don't have a favorite Beach Boys song, because I like so many of them. I've been really looking forward to NPP, and I'm happy to hear that Brian is doing the lead vocal on Last Song.
WELCOME!

Oh, and don't listen to Bubbly. Grin
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »

I thought I'd hijack this thread rather than start a new one - starting two in a day seems a bit overkill, but thought it'd be nice to introduce myself:

I'm a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan from Sheffield, UK and it's all kinda new to me. I don't know why the story of BW resonates with me so much but I know why I like the music. Brought up with mainly classical music and discovering more popular music in my teens, I've also had a massive soft spot for barbershop quartets and the vocal harmonies within. Brian Wilsons compositions, for me, sit beautifully between classical and pop. For the last six months or so I've become an obsessive for everything Beach Boys and Brian Wilson and have spent many hours lurking on this board and have decided to get involved.

I knew of The Beach Boys through popular culture and have always been able to hum along to the early surf hits and most well known singles. I used to be given CD's of top 40 albums on MP3 by a friend of mine (tut-tut, I know...) on one CD was Pet Sounds, the album was an absolute breakthrough for me and I loved it, I played it to my friends to a very lukewarm response and so it receeded in my conciouness and I moved on. A few years later, when shopping, I saw the BWPS album and thought I'd purchase on impulse, having some vague recollection that it had been 'banned' or that it was 'rare' for some reason. I remember sitting in my then GF's bedroom listening to this amazing music and thinking how strange and beautiful it was (She thought it was 'weird'....we broke up soon after  Grin ) I then got hold of That Lucky Old Sun  and loved the music and thought that maybe Brian Wilson could be someone I really liked, musically. I then found a copy of Gettin' in over my head - I was underwhelmed - and apart from the odd track appearing on my playlists, Brian Wilson became just another artist in my music arsenal.

So, what happened six months ago? Truly I have no idea. For some reason I decided to revisit this music and something clicked, I've become hooked, I've got a lot of things going around my head in my personal life and the sheer escapism of the lyrics and arrangments have captured my heart. So, by most of your standards I am certainly a newbie, but I have been obsessive in my thirst for knowledge and material so I am fairly well-versed. I've listened at least once to every album (I think) and now own most of them. I'm not overally fussed on the early surf music, except some of the absolute classics but can appreciate the arrangments and the start of the journey. The albums I repeat and repeat are: Pet Sounds, Smile (all versions I can get my hands on), Love You, Adult/Child and That Lucky Old Sun. I am fascinated by the BW period of Love You and Adult/Child. I have seen pretty much every documentary on YouTube and a couple I've managed find elsewhere (I've found that 'I Just Wasn't Made for these Times' distills my love of BW perfectly), I've read the making of Pet Sounds and am currently close to finishing 'The Wilson Project' which is a great read!, Heros and Villians up next bookwise.   

So, yeah, thanks for reading and I look forward to contributing to various discussions on these topics. Be gentle now...  LOL

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 11:57:06 AM »

Welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it around here...
rocksong.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »

Rule #1: Do NOT criticize the use of autotune on any BB song.   Smokin
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »

Judging by this board, Yorkshire seems to be a stronghold of Beach Boys appreciation. I think the beautiful hilly landscape makes us appreciative of the sublime. And we have a coastline, of course, though I never hit the surf there.

Please delete my account
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »

Hi all,

Welcome to all new members. 
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 02:07:55 AM »

Thanks for the welcomes guys - and yes, unreleased, Yorkshire has the best taste in the world so no surprise BB are popular there  :smoking

Are you coming to the Sheffield Mike/Bruce show? - I've just booked my tickets  Grin

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:49:14 AM »

I'm afraid I'm not going, no. I'm watching the pennies at the moment and as the afterglow from seeing the C50 Wembley show is still with me, I'm going to be content with that.

Please delete my account
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx