gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:38:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guardian: "Mike Love: What To Expext From His Autobiography"  (Read 6394 times)
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »

Personally, I think such squabbling adds nothing to the music and what actually matters.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/nov/21/mike-love-what-to-expect-from-his-autobiography
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:08:08 PM »

The very first line says Mike Love owns the Beach Boys name.  So the guy's already screwing the whole thing up from the very. first. line. 

Are there any music websites that have actual journalism, that's researched, and you know, valid, honest, not trying to push whatever agenda they're down with?  I guess since it's all review based, etc. it pretty much has to be biased because it's all opinion. 

When you write something titled 'what to expect' though, it gives the illusion that it's a news piece... then it turns into a bunch of sh*t the guy made up that he thinks Mike is going to say. 

... and then, he got PAID to put it on the Guardian! 

The world has gone mad. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:20:14 PM »

I'd agree with #10.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »

........and 11
Zeppo

Make waves, not love
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »

There was an earlier thread about this.

It is a poor piece of work - fan-geeky, snide, author impressed by his own wit and intelligence, and inaccurate. How did it get past the filters? Dunno.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 04:55:05 AM »

Yet... ... ...

He isn't wrong about everything.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 05:55:29 AM »

I'm REALLY bored of the same old shite written about Mike Love. The Guardian article is crap.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 06:07:02 AM »

B b b b but Mike...'THEY' "won the Pulitzer Prize.  Must have been for the accuracy on the hat bit. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »

B b b b but Mike...'THEY' "won the Pulitzer Prize.  Must have been for the accuracy on the hat bit. Cool Guy

...well alright.  Smokin
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »

<<I'd agree with #10>>

I think AGD's comment sums up this article perfectly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:55:22 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »

Eh. I don't see much that's really inaccurate there. The owns the name bit is in the headline, not the article, which means that someone other than the author wrote it.

And for the general public, I doubt many folks would see significant difference between "owns the name" and "has an exclusive license to the name, one of the people he licenses it from being himself, and controls it on tour."

Just like there being precious little difference between "fires Brian Wilson" and "consciously allows a contract to expire so Brian Wilson doesn't get to tour with me anymore, which he has stated publicly that he wants to keep doing."

And perhaps there isn't much daylight between "killed Smile" and "berated my mentally ill cousin about how much I hated the music he was making until, for entirely unconnected reasons, he chose to stop making it."

Just saying.  Azn
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:14:51 AM by Wirestone » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 08:27:58 AM »

Eh. I don't see much that's really inaccurate there. The owns the name bit is in the headline, not the article, which means that someone other than the author wrote it.

And for the general public, I doubt many folks would see significant difference between "owns the name" and "has an exclusive license to the name, one the people he licenses it from being himself, and controls it on tour."

Just like there being precious little difference between "fires Brian Wilson" and "consciously allows a contract to expire so Brian Wilson doesn't get to tour with me anymore, which he has stated publicly that he wants to keep doing."

And perhaps there isn't much daylight between "killed Smile" and "berated my mentally ill cousin about how much I hated the music he was making until, for entirely unconnected reasons, he chose to stop making it."

Just saying.  Azn

+1
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »

Agreed wirestone.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »

And for the general public, I doubt many folks would see significant difference between "owns the name" and "has an exclusive license to the name, one the people he licenses it from being himself, and controls it on tour."

Just saying.  Azn

As Ron said it is just the author's opinions.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »

Just saying.  Azn
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »

Just saying.  Azn

As Ron said it is just the author's opinions.

Right, but a non-biased opinion is impossible.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »

That article is pretty much a smiley smile post.

Congratulations guys, any of us could write for the guardian.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 09:38:51 AM »

SMiLE came out in 2001? Interesting.  Tongue
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »

SMiLE came out in 2001? Interesting.  Tongue

It did?  sh*t!!!  I thought that I was on the cutting edge when I bought it. Embarrassed  Guess not

But at least *I* didn't record Brian Wilson Presents Smile 3 years AFTER Smile was released.  Somebody should have told him.

Man!!!  You learn something everyday here. Evil

Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

Is this from an alternate reality where Mike owns the Beach Boys and SMILE came out in 2001?  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »

Except that he did no such thing.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »

That article is pretty much a smiley smile post.

Congratulations guys, any of us could write for the guardian.

I take that as a considerable and personal insult !  Grin

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »

Sometimes I wish that Mike actually DID kill SMiLE...it would be a lot easier to take than what actually happened. 
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »

#10 might not happen if they use a picture from when he was young, like the striped shirt era.

Also, Mike's book should come with a free 45 of the Beach Boys version of the Monster Mash.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »

Except that he did no such thing.

Those may be overly harsh words for Wirestone to say, but IMO even if Mike's intentions were not ill-intended and not meant to wound/in any way, shape or form derail or change the project's direction, I don't really doubt that Brian *felt* some degree, even a little, of those feelings from his cousin at the time, and I don't believe it's appropriate to underestimate, let alone completely erase that from being a possible piece (by no means the entire piece) of the puzzle. A fragile person's interpretations of another person's probable negative energy and vibe cannot simply be dismissed as nonexistent, even if one wishes to release Mike (and any other band member(s)) from any and all responsibility.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:19:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx