gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:12:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Little Deuce Coupe Album  (Read 10737 times)
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:56:29 PM »

Has anyone figured who played on the new tracks from the Little Deuce Coupe album from 1963, such as No Go Show Boat or Spirit of America? Was it just the boys or did any studio musicians contribute instruments?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:29 PM »

On all tracks (except the obvious):

Brian - bass/kbds/gtr
Carl - gtr
Dennis - drums/perc
David - gtr
Alan - bass on "BTTYS", "Cutie", "CCC", "SOA", "NGSB" & "CM"

Also:

Steve Douglas - sax on "BTTYS", "SOA" & "NGSB" (assumed)
Jay Migliori - sax on "BTTYS", "SOA" & "NGSB" (assumed)

Craig will no doubt correct the finer detail, but that's pretty much it IMHYEO.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:50:01 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:38:49 AM »

Brian - "gtr" ?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 04:50:01 AM »

Dennis - perc
that's pretty much it IMHYEO.

So then...Dennis made the coffee? LOL

GREAT album "in *MY* humble yet educated opinion."   Wink  The Beach Boys' FIRST really great album and the very best one 'til the dynamic duo of Today and Summer Days and Summer Nights.  And, except for Be True to Your School...NOT the hit version obviously...which was OK but didn't fit the theme... ... ['cept for this wee part..."When I cruise around the other parts of the town I got a decal in back"] ... ...it certainly was, at the very least, an accidental 'concept' album.

Think I'll go and "perc" me some coffee. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:58:24 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:26:38 AM »

I've often wondered if BW had some guitar ability other than Bass Guitar...it's a lot easier to transition from 6-string guitar to 4-string bass than it is the other way around...

So, can C-Man or ADG or anyone else confirm that Brian played guitar on BB's recordings?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 07:58:49 AM »

I've often wondered if BW had some guitar ability other than Bass Guitar...it's a lot easier to transition from 6-string guitar to 4-string bass than it is the other way around...

So, can C-Man or ADG or anyone else confirm that Brian played guitar on BB's recordings?

Yeah. I'm curious about that too.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:04:25 AM »

My first copy of an album titled Little Deuce Coupe album wasn't even the same album as the original but the 1976 Pickwick re-issue, without Ballad Of Ole' Betsy, Be True To Your School, Shut Down, Spirit Of America, No Go Show Boat and A Young Man Is Gone, BUT included Don't Back Down, Little Honda, Drive-In and This Car Of Mine. I think I bought it at the supermarket (remember the budget priced albums at the supermarkets? Pickwick Records were big for that.) Then years later I bought the actual Little Deuce Coupe album on Capitol and finally heard A Young Man Is Gone much to my delight.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »

My first copy of an album titled Little Deuce Coupe album wasn't even the same album as the original but the 1976 Pickwick re-issue, without Ballad Of Ole' Betsy, Be True To Your School, Shut Down, Spirit Of America, No Go Show Boat and A Young Man Is Gone, BUT included Don't Back Down, Little Honda, Drive-In and This Car Of Mine. I think I bought it at the supermarket (remember the budget priced albums at the supermarkets? Pickwick Records were big for that.) Then years later I bought the actual Little Deuce Coupe album on Capitol and finally heard A Young Man Is Gone much to my delight.
I owned the Pickwick Surfer Girl and Good Vibrations albums. Was confusing to me as a new fan to see albums with the same titles but different track listings, different covers.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 08:34:18 AM »

I owned the Pickwick Surfer Girl and Good Vibrations albums. Was confusing to me as a new fan to see albums with the same titles but different track listings, different covers.

Same here. At a certain point I finally understood that Pickwick made jumbled up collections. The album covers usually never matched the era. Wow Great Concert especially comes to mind.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »

Wasn't Pickwick a sort of Capitol subsidiary label.  I think it was.  Just another way that 'they' mistreated the image of 'our heroes'.  It's almost as if the examples of them doing THAT are endless.  And didn't those 'cheap' albums also use a lower grade vinyl as well?

I don't recall there being any Pickwick Beatles records.

No wonder the big record companies went doen the toilet...in many cases...over the years.  Nincompoops....and now what's left are generally run by bean-counters with no 'feel' for music, artists, or customers.  They might as well be selling SPAM...Monty Python era SPAM that is. Angry
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:20:31 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »

Same here. At a certain point I finally understood that Pickwick made jumbled up collections. The album covers usually never matched the era. Wow Great Concert especially comes to mind.

Just looked it up. Absolutely bizarre.

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »

Wasn't Pickwick a sort of Capitol subsidiary label.  I think it was.  Just another way that 'they' mistreated the image of 'our heroes'.  It's almost as if the examples are endless.  And didn't those 'cheap' albums also use a lower grade vinyl as well?

I don't recal there being Pickwick Beatles records.

Actually there were Pickwick Beatles albums. I have a few of them...Beatles Live Vol. 1 (Star Club recordings), The Silver Beatles Vol. I and 2 (all early stuff, Pete Best, Tony Sheridan). Very generic album artwork. No pictures of the band members.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »

So then...NOT the John Paul George and Ringo Beatles...but more back when they were paying their dues and backing Tony S for a little extra $$$...

The Beach Boys stuff was  repackaging of their A-list stuff...and that 'live' thing.  [I didn't like the first 'official' live album...BBs In Concert.  You couldn't enjoy it with the screaming.  The quality was way too THIN.  It obviously was toyed with too...I mean  studio stuff added in?  Come ON!!!  WTF are you thinking?...was what I was thinking at the time...and still it became their biggest selling album up to that point...or darn close to it.]

No Capitol has NEVER impressed me.  Buffoons.

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »

So then...NOT the John Paul George and Ringo Beatles...but more back when they were paying their dues and backing Tony S for a little extra $$$...

The Beach Boys stuff was  repackaging of their A-list stuff...and that 'live' thing.  [I didn't like the first 'official' live album...BBs In Concert.  You couldn't enjoy it with the screaming.  The quality was way too THIN.  It obviously was toyed with too...I mean  studio stuff added in?  Come ON!!!  WTF are you thinking?...was what I was thinking at the time...and still it became their biggest selling album up to that point...or darn close to it.]

No Capitol has NEVER impressed me.  Buffoons.

I definitely agree with you about Capitol Records.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »

I agree about LDC being their first great album, sure it has songs from other albums  but it's consistent, no cover tunes (well except for the rewrite of "Our hearts" into "A young man") no "surfing" Instrumentals, like half of the "Surfin' USA" album, no comedy bits or studio chatter. it also has a strange stereo mix which I actually like, mono instruments with stereo vocals on top of the mono music, it sounds unique that way almost artistic in a way..also the lyrics for "Betsy" are some of my favorite lyrics about a Female...lol..(er I mean a car) LOL
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »

Yeah. I'm curious about that too.

Not a Beach Boys recording per se, but hasn't it been confirmed that Brian played guitar on the Survivors track "After the Game"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBhWXtQJNr8
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »

Yes. Said B side was recorded in the Crenshaw apartment he shared with Bob.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »

That's a bad one alright. The Surfer Girl Pickwick just had a photo of a girl in one piece swimsuit on the cover. Good Vibrations had a late 60's shot sans Brian. Amazing song lineup for a budget release - besides the title track, it had 409, Dance Dance Dance, Darlin', She Knows Me Too Well, Heroes and Villains, Girl Don't Tell Me, Little Girl I Once Knew. The vinyl was poor, though.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »

Wasn't Pickwick a sort of Capitol subsidiary label.  I think it was.  Just another way that 'they' mistreated the image of 'our heroes'.  It's almost as if the examples of them doing THAT are endless.  And didn't those 'cheap' albums also use a lower grade vinyl as well?

No wonder the big record companies went doen the toilet...in many cases...over the years.  Nincompoops....and now what's left are generally run by bean-counters with no 'feel' for music, artists, or customers.  They might as well be selling SPAM...Monty Python era SPAM that is. Angry

They also had Elvis ones too.Smiley

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »

Oh yeah they did, tons of Elvis ones. I had a few myself, might still have 'em. Pickwick also had lots of 50s oldies compilations. Springboard was another label I seem to remember that had lots of these types of generic budget albums. I think Springboard may have put out a couple of Beach Boys albums too, with the Kenny and The Cadets stuff and Luau etc.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »

Yeah, I bought that one in '78 - the first side is all previously unreleased Aloha stuff - but with absolutely nothing in the packaging to tell you that.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 01:43:41 PM »

That's a bad one alright. The Surfer Girl Pickwick just had a photo of a girl in one piece swimsuit on the cover. Good Vibrations had a late 60's shot sans Brian. Amazing song lineup for a budget release - besides the title track, it had 409, Dance Dance Dance, Darlin', She Knows Me Too Well, Heroes and Villains, Girl Don't Tell Me, Little Girl I Once Knew. The vinyl was poor, though.
And a call out to "The Beach Boys" whose front cover featured a good 5cms of white space, left over photo from the 20/20 cover shoot, set in a printed etching and boasting, beneath Al's foot, the following line-up: Finder's Keepers, Farmer's Daughter, Moon Dawg, Ten Little Indians, Lana, Misirlou, Summertime Blues, The Coo Coo Clock, Chug-A-Lug, Honky Tonk, Heads You Win-Tails I Lose   Razz

Available in a Thrift Shop near you.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:45:24 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 02:11:55 PM »

Yeah, I bought that one in '78 - the first side is all previously unreleased Aloha stuff - but with absolutely nothing in the packaging to tell you that.

And the rest movie songs. Haha. They sure loved using them whenever they could. It's a shame that Pickwick had the rights to put out all these barely thought out releases. The only good thing about these releases is sometimes getting unreleased stuff.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:11 PM »

Bizarre beyond words. But I like it! The song choice, tho - not good. esp. not fond of "Long Tall" & "Papa Oom".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »

Is there an online discography anywhere of these BB's Pickwick albums? I've found several sites that show all the Elvis Pickwick/Camden albums, but nothing for the Beach Boys other than the standard album issues.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx