gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:38:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Brian Wilson: New Autobiography  (Read 73022 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 14, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »

Yeah, I can't imagine in a scant 284 pages covering presumably his entire life, there would be a ton of room to talk about Scott Bennett anyway.

Curious to hear about the book's C50 content and in general his references to his latter-day and modern-day relationship with Mike.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #301 on: July 14, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »

Yeah, I can't imagine in a scant 284 pages covering presumably his entire life, there would be a ton of room to talk about Scott Bennett anyway.

Curious to hear about the book's C50 content and in general his references to his latter-day and modern-day relationship with Mike.

Same here.  Plus, I can't wait to read about his resurgence as a solo artist in the late 90s into the 2000s.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »

Any more thoughts on the book?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 14, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »

Anything honestly 'revealing' about why Smile was abandoned would be cool.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:44:23 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 14, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »

"Revealing" is not a word I would use to describe the book thus far. Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying it,  I am. It's interesting to read stories that have been told for years filtered through Brian Wilson's unique perspective.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 14, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda hope nobody shares anything until the book is released. I'd like its contents to be at least something of a surprise.
Myra
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 14, 2016, 08:40:52 PM »

How many autobiographies does Brian have?

Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you will meet the same people on the way down.

Ralph Kramden.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 14, 2016, 08:53:15 PM »

How many autobiographies does Brian have?

This will technically be his second although the first, Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Own Story is seldom considered anything other than complete bullshit as he was still under the influence of Eugene Landy at the time.  It's also terribly written.  So this will be his first non-bullshit and hopefully well-written autobiography.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:53:47 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 14, 2016, 11:26:56 PM »

Does he talk anything about what happened to his voice in the 70s?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:27:54 PM by felipe » Logged
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 15, 2016, 11:44:34 AM »

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda hope nobody shares anything until the book is released. I'd like its contents to be at least something of a surprise.

No worries - if there are spoilers you won't get them from me. Not even his favorite New York pizza spot.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 19, 2016, 01:56:43 AM »

I haven't read the Wouldn't It Be Nice biography but I've heard it's full of sh*t and praises Dr Landy to high heaven. Wasn't it ghostwritten?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 19, 2016, 02:44:10 AM »

I haven't read the Wouldn't It Be Nice biography but I've heard it's full of sh*t and praises Dr Landy to high heaven. Wasn't it ghostwritten?

This will help: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=874.0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2016, 05:41:22 AM »

I consider IABW to be Brian's FIRST autobiography. There's no "auto" in WIBN (imo).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: July 19, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »

Any more details on the book from anyone who has read it/is reading it? I don't want people to have to read spoilers per se (though I'm not sure how much info might be a true "spoiler" for a 284 page book covering a story we all know pretty well; I'm somehow doubting there's a twist ending or something), but how about a general sort of review? And perhaps some details on recent hot-button topics like C50 and the current relationship with the other BBs?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 19, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »

"Revealing" is not a word I would use to describe the book thus far. Which isn't to say I'm not enjoying it,  I am. It's interesting to read stories that have been told for years filtered through Brian Wilson's unique perspective.
Does this mean that the entire book is eventually going to find its way into the Brianisms Appreciation Thread? Smiley

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:47 PM »

Finished the book over the weekend. Like I said, it's not really a "revelation" kind of book. For the casual fan there may be some new information, but people like me who have pored over Brian Wilson interviews for years will be familiar with the stories. This wasn't disappointing, it was exactly what I expected. It's a fun, quick read, and I recommend it without reservation.

-Van Dyke Parks
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »

A better question would be how the book compares to WIBN '91
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 20, 2016, 09:20:30 AM »

A better question would be how the book compares to WIBN '91

It is infinitely better then WIBN. That book always seemed cheap and tawdry to me. Like a Kitty Kelly biography. This has none of that, and will probably not be a huge seller for that reason.

-Van Dyke Parks
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx