gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:52:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Brian Wilson: New Autobiography  (Read 73327 times)
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »

yikes !  she's back !

ok. will it be Brian ?  can it be ?  is Brian a writer of books ?

- no
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2015, 03:06:13 PM »

What in hell are you going on about?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »

Seems those two are pushing an agenda for Mike Love. Screw BW being forced to be in the nostalgia hell of no creativity that Mike lives in. Mike is a fraud anyway since he didn't live the surf lifestyle, Dennis Wilson did.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2015, 03:54:50 PM »

♩♬ Billyman ♯♫♩
┌∩┐(●̮̮̃•̃)┌∩┐
Global Moderator
What in hell are you going on about?

Ang, correctly, is keeping the discussion appropriate to the thread.
I respond to her entreaties and correspondingly comment on the book.

not certain who those two are SMiLE, but Ang and I share divergent opinions.

that's what it's all about, anyway
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »

There's a subtle difference this time: back in 2010 it wasn't just the 50th anniversary. Smile was in the equation and the various factions were less polarised. A PS/GV 50 should never be discounted entirely, for these are The Beach Boys after all, and literally anything is possible. That said, I'm not seeing it. It would be totally logical, as aside from the 50th anniversary of Smile not being released there's nothing else to get really worked up about until 2024... when Mike will be 83, Brian, Alan & Bruce 82 and David 76 (assuming... well, just assuming). But then, logic and The Beach Boys have never enjoyed anything like a lasting, stable relationship.

Ok I give in. Whats the occasion in 24?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »

No matter what thread it's in, it;s being discussed, let's discuss it. I'm agreeing with a lot of what Ang has said here. Maybe for different reasons, but I'm agreeing. I have to raise a few points that no one has mentioned (or remembered) here.

We're getting into dissecting what Brian said before C50, can we at least mention what Mike said *after* C50, specifically at and immediately after the Grammy Museum event? He said along the lines of this: You have to be careful not to get overexposed. There was interest from promoters, but according to Mike they said "give it a rest for a year".

So now I've seen what Ang pointed out too, maybe more subliminally than overtly, but it seems like groups of fans in the 'net universe of the BB's seem to be doing a whisper and nudge campaign to get Brian to agree to rejoin Mike and do another reunion. Call it lobbying, call it whatever, but I noticed it in various posts across the net as well.

The question is, why? And in what way would it work at this point?

Look at Mike's schedule for the next few months, it's packed averaging 3-5 shows per week, just the publicly available ones minus the corporate and private gigs like the one in Boston where Tony Asher showed up at a veterinarian convention gig. The group is touring constantly, doing it the way Mike wants to do it.

So after C50 and after various statements and interviews and press releases coming from Mike, there were fans here defending the choices to end the reunion lineup due to the set end date and whatever other reasons, and let Mike do his thing even if Brian-Al-Dave wanted to get some more gigs booked. Then B-A-D did in fact start booking more gigs on their own, and fans said "that's what both groups want, we'll have a chance to see both groups when they come to our areas".

NOW, though, what do we expect to happen? Fans got what they said Mike seemed to say he wanted to do, and has been doing for over 2 years solid: Playing over 150 shows a year in any number of regions and countries, if fans want to see him there is a good chance he'll make a stop nearby. He don't miss no one.

Brian just did a tour in the US, both coasts. Rave reviews up and down minus one on this board. Al and Blondie with him. He added a few more dates for the fall, who knows what else will come since he seems to be into what he was doing this summer with the band on the road.

We had a reunion in 2012, it ended, the reasons given as to why it ended whether it be a set end date or not wanting to risk becoming like The Eagles and overexposed were defended strongly on the board so Mike could again resume touring as he wanted to tour.

But some now either want or expect Brian (and Al and Dave and possibly Blondie and maybe even Ricky and Billy H, I would imagine) to do the C50 reunion thing again? Wasn't it done, didn't it have a set end date and no follow-up to avoid risking overexposure...or was that just an excuse? Which is it? Some people got just what they were defending in Fall 2012 - Mike is on the road playing an average of 3-5 or more shows per week as he wanted. Brian has been doing his own tours since Fall 2012.

Where were those demands and requests and "Bring Back C50" calls in Fall 2012? But now in 2015 it's on Brian (and Al) to suddenly change plans and schedule a tour with Mike?

Sometimes I guess you have to be careful what you wish for.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:42:53 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »

As I understand it the offering promoters apparently weren't just saying give it a rest but their offers were for 2013 not the rest of 2012. 

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2015, 01:04:53 AM »

There's a subtle difference this time: back in 2010 it wasn't just the 50th anniversary. Smile was in the equation and the various factions were less polarised. A PS/GV 50 should never be discounted entirely, for these are The Beach Boys after all, and literally anything is possible. That said, I'm not seeing it. It would be totally logical, as aside from the 50th anniversary of Smile not being released there's nothing else to get really worked up about until 2024... when Mike will be 83, Brian, Alan & Bruce 82 and David 76 (assuming... well, just assuming). But then, logic and The Beach Boys have never enjoyed anything like a lasting, stable relationship.

Endless Summer - remember, however much we love them, Joe Q. Public could care less about the post-Pet Sounds albums, but this was huge, a #1 hit.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2015, 02:09:56 AM »

So now I've seen what Ang pointed out too, maybe more subliminally than overtly, but it seems like groups of fans in the 'net universe of the BB's seem to be doing a whisper and nudge campaign to get Brian to agree to rejoin Mike and do another reunion. Call it lobbying, call it whatever, but I noticed it in various posts across the net as well.

Seriously ? I mean, SERIOUSLY ? You really think that the people who monitor these forums - and they do, they do - will report back to Mike/Brian/Alan that "fans out there are agitating for a PS50 next year", and that this will cause someone to reach for the phone and say "hey guys, better do something next year, the fans are expecting it". The only thing I doubt more than, say, 100 fans can influence such a decision is that the assorted camps are so dumb that they can't work out next year is a significant 50th anniversary.

However, the greatest point against your conspiracy theory is that you're according the various groups of BB fans a degree of organizational ability they've not exhibited before within their chosen forums, much less across the BB webbiverse. I've seen colonies of ferns with a more sophisticated social system.  Grin

The skinny: there's a significant (final ?) 50th anniversary next year... some of us would like (like, not insist, as those who disparage any further reunion do) to see the scattered clans gathering one last time... great marketing opportunity/dollar signs in eyes... likely won't happen

C50 was no isolated event: Smile Sessions/album/tour. Consider.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:24 AM »

Endless Summer - remember, however much we love them, Joe Q. Public could care less about the post-Pet Sounds albums, but this was huge, a #1 hit.

A compilation album? Really? Celebrating Endless Summer would be like celebrating Groundhog Day - not the real day but the film version in which you repeat a day, over and over and over and over....  but anyway, hasn't it already been done? Mike has essentially been celebrating Endless Summer for decades.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2015, 02:24:53 AM »

Seriously ? I mean, SERIOUSLY ? You really think that the people who monitor these forums - and they do, they do - will report back to Mike/Brian/Alan that "fans out there are agitating for a PS50 next year", and that this will cause someone to reach for the phone and say "hey guys, better do something next year, the fans are expecting it". The only thing I doubt more than, say, 100 fans can influence such a decision is that the assorted camps are so dumb that they can't work out next year is a significant 50th anniversary.

However, the greatest point against your conspiracy theory is that you're according the various groups of BB fans a degree of organizational ability they've not exhibited before within their chosen forums, much less across the BB webbiverse. I've seen colonies of ferns with a more sophisticated social system.  Grin

The skinny: there's a significant (final ?) 50th anniversary next year... some of us would like (like, not insist, as those who disparage any further reunion do) to see the scattered clans gathering one last time... great marketing opportunity/dollar signs in eyes... likely won't happen

C50 was no isolated event: Smile Sessions/album/tour. Consider.

Seriously, seriously, if they monitor the boards "and they do" presumably they take note of what is being posted (and though this reflects the views of a relatively small number of people they could take this as a sign of what a larger number would like to happen - a smaple of the market).  It wouldn't work in a 'we must do what the fans want' kind of way. It would be more like 'there's a lot of demand for another reunion, this could make loads of money'. Market research and identifying a business opportunity. Put like that it doesn't sound so much like a conspiracy theory, does it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:36:39 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2015, 02:32:25 AM »

You mean they would listen to the fans? The same fans who wanted the C50 to continue in 2012?
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2015, 02:41:37 AM »

You mean they would listen to the fans? The same fans who wanted the C50 to continue in 2012?

I would guess the record companies and the management of the bands would be the ones who were most anxious for it to happen - they could release yet another compilation on the back of it at least, even if more new material wasn't forthcoming. The bands might be persuaded, offered enough inducement and coming up to retirement. The individuals themselves have had problems maintaining their professional relationships before but like the C50 it doesn't need to be permanent - indeed how could it be, given the ages of the band members?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:12 AM »

A compilation album? Really? Celebrating Endless Summer would be like celebrating Groundhog Day - not the real day but the film version in which you repeat a day, over and over and over and over....  but anyway, hasn't it already been done? Mike has essentially been celebrating Endless Summer for decades.

My point was, of course, not to be taken in any way seriously, except in that next year is the final significant 50th that we can expect the band to participate in. Still, instructive.

So, how 'bout this new BW book ? There's another 25 years to cover... well, 74 in total if you're going to do it properly this time. Challenge.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:54:30 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2015, 02:53:26 AM »

Guess we will see but I am more than likely out. The C50 was it for me concert wise both group and solo. Not a bad run considering  (1978-2012).

If the offer is good I still hope for some kind of PS50 reunion with a symphony , be it a one-off or short tour. Not for the group as such but I think the album deserves it.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2015, 03:15:37 AM »

No matter what thread it's in, it;s being discussed, let's discuss it. I'm agreeing with a lot of what Ang has said here. Maybe for different reasons, but I'm agreeing. I have to raise a few points that no one has mentioned (or remembered) here.

We're getting into dissecting what Brian said before C50, can we at least mention what Mike said *after* C50, specifically at and immediately after the Grammy Museum event? He said along the lines of this: You have to be careful not to get overexposed. There was interest from promoters, but according to Mike they said "give it a rest for a year".

Look at Mike's schedule for the next few months, it's packed averaging 3-5 shows per week, just the publicly available ones minus the corporate and private gigs like the one in Boston where Tony Asher showed up at a veterinarian convention gig. The group is touring constantly, doing it the way Mike wants to do it.

So after C50 and after various statements and interviews and press releases coming from Mike, there were fans here defending the choices to end the reunion lineup due to the set end date and whatever other reasons, and let Mike do his thing even if Brian-Al-Dave wanted to get some more gigs booked. Then B-A-D did in fact start booking more gigs on their own, and fans said "that's what both groups want, we'll have a chance to see both groups when they come to our areas".

NOW, though, what do we expect to happen? Fans got what they said Mike seemed to say he wanted to do, and has been doing for over 2 years solid: Playing over 150 shows a year in any number of regions and countries, if fans want to see him there is a good chance he'll make a stop nearby. He don't miss no one.

Brian just did a tour in the US, both coasts. Rave reviews up and down minus one on this board. Al and Blondie with him. He added a few more dates for the fall, who knows what else will come since he seems to be into what he was doing this summer with the band on the road.

We had a reunion in 2012, it ended, the reasons given as to why it ended whether it be a set end date or not wanting to risk becoming like The Eagles and overexposed were defended strongly on the board so Mike could again resume touring as he wanted to tour.

But some now either want or expect Brian (and Al and Dave and possibly Blondie and maybe even Ricky and Billy H, I would imagine) to do the C50 reunion thing again? Wasn't it done, didn't it have a set end date and no follow-up to avoid risking overexposure...or was that just an excuse? Which is it? Some people got just what they were defending in Fall 2012 - Mike is on the road playing an average of 3-5 or more shows per week as he wanted. Brian has been doing his own tours since Fall 2012.

Where were those demands and requests and "Bring Back C50" calls in Fall 2012? But now in 2015 it's on Brian (and Al) to suddenly change plans and schedule a tour with Mike?

So, we don't want a reunion, we just think we want a reunion?! Wink

I don't mind which way it pans out. I like bacon. I like eggs. I like it best when they're served on the same plate. They complement each other. Is all…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2015, 03:31:59 AM »

I know what I like, in my wardrobe...

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2015, 05:07:05 AM »

I don't mind which way it pans out. I like bacon. I like eggs. I like it best when they're served on the same plate. They complement each other. Is all…

You really think the Beach Boys and Brian complement each other? They have different ideas about direction. On the one hand you have the Beach Boys' 'fun fun fun' approach. Brian's concerts are often more serious. Brian is an artist. Mike is an entertainer.  It isn't surprising to me that some of Brian's most creatively successful work was done when he was not touring with the Beach Boys  but able to develop his own ideas. In fact arguably the best two - Pet Sounds and SMiLE  - took shape when the Beach Boys were on tour.

Brian's band are better instrumentally, better vocally now, as younger men. Mike isn't irreplaceable lyrically. Brian's band are more supportive. There isn't the same rivalry and  there isn't the history, which is far from just good vibrations. The only thing people seem to want is the idea of them together. Look what happened last time. Brian was actually instrumental in making it happen and the one who pulled the plug on it was Mike. And yet Mike's fans - most of whom seemed to want a reunion - defended his position. You couldn't make it up!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2015, 05:32:20 AM »

You might be right, but what I just think I want is bacon and eggs, not just bacon, or bacon and sun dried tomatoes, or bacon and olives.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2015, 06:16:03 AM »

You really think the Beach Boys and Brian complement each other? They have different ideas about direction. On the one hand you have the Beach Boys' 'fun fun fun' approach. Brian's concerts are often more serious. Brian is an artist. Mike is an entertainer.  It isn't surprising to me that some of Brian's most creatively successful work was done when he was not touring with the Beach Boys  but able to develop his own ideas. In fact arguably the best two - Pet Sounds and SMiLE  - took shape when the Beach Boys were on tour.

Brian's band are better instrumentally, better vocally now, as younger men. Mike isn't irreplaceable lyrically. Brian's band are more supportive. There isn't the same rivalry and  there isn't the history, which is far from just good vibrations. The only thing people seem to want is the idea of them together. Look what happened last time. Brian was actually instrumental in making it happen and the one who pulled the plug on it was Mike. And yet Mike's fans - most of whom seemed to want a reunion - defended his position. You couldn't make it up!

I'll just call Melinda and tell her to step aside, there's someone here far better qualified to manage Brian's career. Smiley

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2015, 06:43:18 AM »

Ang- having seen Brian and his great band recently, my impression was that the performance was less serious and more BB-ish than any show of Brian's ever. It was a party! And that is uptight New England. We were entertained by an artist. 

The lyrics? These guys are cut from the same cloth.  California rock, not Florida Buffet-style.  Buffet is an imitation. People love him.  The BB songs were successful because they had a CA lyric groove which was edgier.  And they don't need to be a symphony.  Is the fuller sound with woodwinds a great addition?  Of course.  But, they are a garage vocal band.  And if only seven or so were on stage, as in 1967, they would still do quite well. 

They don't compliment each other; they are almost alter-egos of one another, from their formation. 

If people want to discuss potential reunions, it should be in a different thread, and people can "let it all hang out."

Discussing a potential reunion is sort of dysfunctional in an Brian autobiography thread does justice to neither topic. 

Just sayin'.  Wink

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »

Not a conspiracy theory, just an observation. I noticed what Ang noticed as well, that among the everyday banter and conversations there seemed to be an upswing recently in calls for or discussions about another band reunion, let's get down to brass tacks about this too: Getting Brian and Mike on the same stage or the same tour. Why now? As I already said, Mike is touring non-stop on his terms which I'm assuming is what those fans wanted who defended some of his reasons for C50 shutting down in 2012. Remember that? Back into the end dates and wanting to get back to the way he had been doing it for years prior to C50...that was what some groups of fans said on this board among others when some of the reasons for the end of C50 perhaps didn't seem to agree with each other.

Now there are calls for another reunion? You had one! Mike wanted to go back to his way of touring with his band lineup, fans were saying that's the way it should be, that's what was agreed to going into C50...that's exactly what you got! Taken on face value from comments made at the time, there were three Beach Boys from that stage who said publicly they'd like to keep it going, maybe do more shows under the C50 lineup. There was one Beach Boy who wanted to go back to the way it was pre-reunion. A lot of fans defended the latter.

And that's exactly what they got. If the "reunion" beyond the C50 dates was ever more of an actual realistic possibility, it was when the actual reunion was generating the best publicity and most buzz this band had seen in years and demand was at the highest.

It's hard to figure out why some made such strong defenses of the decisions made then to go back to the way it was and forgo any reunion offers or shows (and anything else included), yet now after they got what they wanted and after Brian just played a successful tour and Mike is doing what he wanted to do after C50 and fans defended him for doing it...we want everything to stop so another reunion can happen? For who, for what?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »

For um, fans of the band who might want to see them one last time while they can?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »

You really think the Beach Boys and Brian complement each other? They have different ideas about direction. On the one hand you have the Beach Boys' 'fun fun fun' approach. Brian's concerts are often more serious. Brian is an artist. Mike is an entertainer.  It isn't surprising to me that some of Brian's most creatively successful work was done when he was not touring with the Beach Boys  but able to develop his own ideas. In fact arguably the best two - Pet Sounds and SMiLE  - took shape when the Beach Boys were on tour.

Brian's band are better instrumentally, better vocally now, as younger men. Mike isn't irreplaceable lyrically. Brian's band are more supportive. There isn't the same rivalry and  there isn't the history, which is far from just good vibrations. The only thing people seem to want is the idea of them together. Look what happened last time. Brian was actually instrumental in making it happen and the one who pulled the plug on it was Mike. And yet Mike's fans - most of whom seemed to want a reunion - defended his position. You couldn't make it up!
Ang- having seen Brian and his great band recently, my impression was that the performance was less serious and more BB-ish than any show of Brian's ever. It was a party! And that is uptight New England. We were entertained by an artist.  

The lyrics? These guys are cut from the same cloth.  California rock, not Florida Buffet-style.  Buffet is an imitation. People love him.  The BB songs were successful because they had a CA lyric groove which was edgier.  And they don't need to be a symphony.  Is the fuller sound with woodwinds a great addition?  Of course.  But, they are a garage vocal band.  And if only seven or so were on stage, as in 1967, they would still do quite well.  

They don't compliment each other; they are almost alter-egos of one another, from their formation.  

If people want to discuss potential reunions, it should be in a different thread, and people can "let it all hang out."

Discussing a potential reunion is sort of dysfunctional in an Brian autobiography thread does justice to neither topic.  

Just sayin'.  Wink

I didn't get to see the latest tour of course but I got the impression that it was relaxed in mood. But I mostly get that from NPP too. An album that has the words 'no' and 'pressure' in the title perhaps gives the clue. They'd had the C50 and TWGMTR and there was damage to repair. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I appreciated the gentle tone of NPP and perhaps Brian was using music in a healing context. From what I have heard, he has mainly seemed to enjoy the last shows and to look happy on stage.

The Beach Boys may have been cut from the same cloth but they have made different garments out of that cloth.

The title of the album and the book have a certain feeling of sub text. Did they get the I Am Brian Wilson from that quote of Brian's? "They are the Beach Boys but I am Brian Wilson"? That quote certainly emphasises Brian's individuality, Brian's right to acceptance in his own right. Had John Lennon not already used that title, and had Brian been writing the book himslef, this  (In His Own Write) might have been a good alternative.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:49:37 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
KDS
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »

For um, fans of the band who might want to see them one last time while they can?

While I understand the demand from fans for a reunion, the separate camps keep to work better for the Boys themselves.  

Brian seems much more comfortable with his own band than he did during the C50 Tour.  Plus, I doubt he has any desire to play 165 or so dates a year like Mike and Bruce.  

Perhaps he'll mention that in his autobiography.  Because I'd be willing to bet, if Brian really wanted to do it, he (or his people) would approach Mike (or his people) and do it again.  
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx