gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:34:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Brian Wilson: New Autobiography  (Read 73023 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2015, 03:19:53 AM »

AGD - Oh, so you mention my referring to a reunion but no mention of the person who brought the subject up.  

If it please you, young master Manning, post #83.

I didn't post my opinion until after if had yet again been introduced into the conversation. So I infer that going on and on and on about the reunion is fine if you are one of those who wants it but not if you are one of those who doesn't. Just so we've got that straight.

Here's a concept - how about not posting your opinion on a topic we all know you find distasteful ? I agree, to be discussing it in a thread about Brian's book is a bit odd. Very odd, actually, unless that's the real reason why his book has been put back a year*... but in the subsequent posts you've been one who has mentioned it most. Like I said in another thread, unless something remarkable transpires, ain't gonna happen, so no need to sweat on it. Change the cylinder. Everyone here knows I detest a single released in 1965, but I don't mention it more than once a week on average.  Grin

I know my opinion on the subject is tedious in the extreme to you - likewise!

Not just me. You're way smarter than OSD, but you're beginning to adopt his "there's a post about Mike - must make a derogatory comment" credo. "There's a post about a possible reunion - must tell everyone I don't want that".

Serious if entirely hypothetical question: suppose Brian repeats next year what happened in 2010-2011, in that he firmly denied left, right, centre, up and down that any reunion was happening and that he wasn't interested anyway, then when it's confirmed says "I'm glad that's over, I was running out of things to say !" (not verbatim, but he said something very much like that to at least one interviewer - gotta love the guy !)... what's your opinion then ? Other than "I'll bet he was coerced/bullied into doing it" ?  I know some of my previous "what-ifs" have been loaded, but this one is pure blue sky.

[* this is a mild jest: it's not any reason at all]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:55 AM »

thank you for reminding us of Brian's statements prior to C50, Andrew.  You are correct,
and there is something quite similar happening right now visa vis  some of Brian's replies.

additionally:  "Maybe we'll be coming back someday. Together in the end to sing with you again."

- etc
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2015, 04:56:47 AM »

There's a subtle difference this time: back in 2010 it wasn't just the 50th anniversary. Smile was in the equation and the various factions were less polarised. A PS/GV 50 should never be discounted entirely, for these are The Beach Boys after all, and literally anything is possible. That said, I'm not seeing it. It would be totally logical, as aside from the 50th anniversary of Smile not being released there's nothing else to get really worked up about until 2024... when Mike will be 83, Brian, Alan & Bruce 82 and David 76 (assuming... well, just assuming). But then, logic and The Beach Boys have never enjoyed anything like a lasting, stable relationship.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2015, 05:15:27 AM »

"we'll be doin' it in our eighties"

- almost there
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »

AGD - Oh, so you mention my referring to a reunion but no mention of the person who brought the subject up.  

If it please you, young master Manning, post #83.

I didn't post my opinion until after if had yet again been introduced into the conversation. So I infer that going on and on and on about the reunion is fine if you are one of those who wants it but not if you are one of those who doesn't. Just so we've got that straight.

Here's a concept - how about not posting your opinion on a topic we all know you find distasteful ? I agree, to be discussing it in a thread about Brian's book is a bit odd. Very odd, actually, unless that's the real reason why his book has been put back a year*... but in the subsequent posts you've been one who has mentioned it most. Like I said in another thread, unless something remarkable transpires, ain't gonna happen, so no need to sweat on it. Change the cylinder. Everyone here knows I detest a single released in 1965, but I don't mention it more than once a week on average.  Grin

I know my opinion on the subject is tedious in the extreme to you - likewise!

Not just me. You're way smarter than OSD, but you're beginning to adopt his "there's a post about Mike - must make a derogatory comment" credo. "There's a post about a possible reunion - must tell everyone I don't want that".

Serious if entirely hypothetical question: suppose Brian repeats next year what happened in 2010-2011, in that he firmly denied left, right, centre, up and down that any reunion was happening and that he wasn't interested anyway, then when it's confirmed says "I'm glad that's over, I was running out of things to say !" (not verbatim, but he said something very much like that to at least one interviewer - gotta love the guy !)... what's your opinion then ? Other than "I'll bet he was coerced/bullied into doing it" ?  I know some of my previous "what-ifs" have been loaded, but this one is pure blue sky.

[* this is a mild jest: it's not any reason at all]

Funny though how it wasn't noted how odd it was to be mentioning THAT subject in a thread about Brian's book until I gave my opinion on it.

I wasn't of course making derogatory comments about Mike.  My annoyance was with the obsession some fans seem to have with this subject. Just as I'm sure anyone who reads my posts knows how I feel about it, I know how many of them feel too. If everyone lays off this subject until it seems to be either ruled out or a real possibility it would suit me fine. Otherwise, it is like being in the car with an impatient kid saying 'Are we there yet?' every thirty seconds.  Or like being repeatedly kicked in the shins and then criticised for saying 'Ow!'

IF Brian were to change his mind I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't think he was necessarily coerced either. I would think he might have wanted to end as he began, with the Beach Boys. He might have had an irresistible offer. He might have felt he'd be doing right by the fans ('Oh, for God's sake, shut up! We'll be there in a minute!'). But I bet if Brian had it sky written that he would NEVER have another reunion, several on this board and others would say 'Yes, but what will he say NEXT week?'

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:33:23 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »

PS  People who are repeatedly asking for this are trying to apply pressure. Everyone who doesn't want it needs to do the same for balance.
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »

Hi Ang, Brian Wilson, Tony Asher, and Mike Love say;

"You know it seems the more we talk about it, it only makes it worse to live without it.
But let's talk about it."

- cheers !
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:25 AM »

PS  People who are repeatedly asking for this are trying to apply pressure. Everyone who doesn't want it needs to do the same for balance.
Ang - that is utter folly. The Beach Boys history is both "predictably unpredictable" and a "definite maybe."

Case in point. SMiLE. "it is coming; it isn't ready." 37 years pass and joy! It is released.  

Second case in point.  No reunion...then, 2012! Voilą!

Optimism always brings the best results.  This is neither a lobbying effort nor an election.

They, alone, can and will self-determine.

My fingers are always crossed but in the meantime, I just see whatever kind of BB/BW music is out there.  That's easy, and fun! When you least expect it, you get a great surprise!

And, life is good.  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »

additionally, filled, the other side, the balance so to speak, actually helps to
further the possibility.  That a Brian, Mike, Al, David, Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky
shindig is such a topic of discussion will only enhance the idea.

- pro or con
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2015, 08:47:03 AM »

additionally, filled, the other side, the balance so to speak, actually helps to
further the possibility.  That a Brian, Mike, Al, David, Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky
shindig is such a topic of discussion will only enhance the idea.

- pro or con
But, it serves no useful purpose to stress over this. And this division over "who should do what" and "my band is better" on this board causes stress and aggravation for nothing. 

Discussions and healthy debate are great but when the insults start flying over nonsense and the trolling starts it causes a lot of strife which is needless...

Things are just a matter of time, if they are meant to be.   Wink
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »

and the opening tune for the tour could be a real surprise.

from "Gershwin", "They Can't Take That Away From Me",

Brian: "The way you wear you hat" (to Mike) and they trade leads
riffing on each other a la "Surfin' Bird".

- they can't take that away from me
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »

and the opening tune for the tour could be a real surprise.

from "Gershwin", "They Can't Take That Away From Me",

Brian: "The way you wear you hat" (to Mike) and they trade leads
riffing on each other a la "Surfin' Bird".

- they can't take that away from me
I'm not sure about that one....as an opener.

How Could We still be Dancin' ?  LOL
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »

humour is important to Brian.

"Summer Of Love"

well, it's a Love thing
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »

Following the 2012 reunion tour, 2016 would've been the next logical time/year to have another Beach Boys' tour with the original members. The 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds and/or Good Vibrations is a valid, and more importantly, marketable theme. The problem is that it's already August and the next thing you know it will be Christmas. Unless they would be targeting late 2016, isn't it a little late to be planning such a tour? Not to open up that can of worms again, but I would think Mike & Bruce are already booking dates for 2016.

As far as anniversaries are concerned, I think 2017 would be a stretch. While The Beach Boys Present SMiLE would be a curious choice and certainly draw attention...Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave, and whoever either aren't on the album or have very small roles, even smaller than on Pet Sounds. So what does that leave for a "reunion"? It would have to be a new album with a supporting tour. For a number of reasons that would take up 87 pages, I can't see Brian and Mike collaborating on a new album. A song or two or three? Possibly.

That being said, the only possibility of a reunion album/tour at this time would be if Brian finally records his rock & roll album, WITH The Beach Boys, on Capitol Records. With that scenario, Brian wouldn't have to compose any new music (he recently stated that he has writer's block), it wouldn't be necessary for Mike to collaborate "in a room" so that's a moot point, and it gives the group something to promote and tour behind. I'm actually not THAT concerned about Joe Thomas' s production on such a project. My two concerns would be, first, that the selection of oldies would be questionable (why did they chose THAT ONE when all those other great oldies are out there?), and, second, that instead of making it a true concept album of great rock & roll classics, they would shoehorn in a couple of new songs or songs that were "in the can". Can you say 15 Big Ones...or Still Cruisin'? Left to his own devices, I wonder what Brian would do?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »

It's true that some people were anxious simply over the fact that it was a "guest singers album" since Gettin' In Over My Head was so bad, but I seriously doubt people would have had the same reaction had Mac DeMarco been on the bill. I hate that dude and even I would have been excited.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian has no idea who Elephant 6 is even though people have been asking him about it for 10 years. I wish his kids had better taste in music.

And the last line says all we probably need to know in order to declare this one among the previous discussions on this subject which ultimately were the equivalent of talking into a dead phone.

Now it makes a little more sense. Some fans wish Brian Wilson shared their musical tastes and preferences and decided to make an album which lines up as such and had brought in artists they'd like to see record with him. And when that doesn't happen, then suggest all kinds of things about Brian (and family) and his musical tastes and preferences which they know nothing about other than interviews and various one-liners. I mean, possibly, just possibly...Brian at some point took a listen to any one of these bands or artists like Olivia Tremor Control or Apples In Stereo etc etc etc and just wasn't into it? Or just went through the same drill as anything remotely connected to the process of making choices and having likes and dislikes that is as simple as Pepsi versus CocaCola...and chose something over another. Wow, imagine that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:18 AM »

Hi Ang, Brian Wilson, Tony Asher, and Mike Love say;

"You know it seems the more we talk about it, it only makes it worse to live without it.
But let's talk about it."

- cheers !

Tony Asher was writing about a different kind of union.....

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

Ang - that is utter folly. The Beach Boys history is both "predictably unpredictable" and a "definite maybe."

Case in point. SMiLE. "it is coming; it isn't ready." 37 years pass and joy! It is released.  

Second case in point.  No reunion...then, 2012! Voilą!

Optimism always brings the best results.  This is neither a lobbying effort nor an election.

They, alone, can and will self-determine.

My fingers are always crossed but in the meantime, I just see whatever kind of BB/BW music is out there.  That's easy, and fun! When you least expect it, you get a great surprise!

And, life is good.  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

It isn't an election but sometimes it does seem to be like a lobbying effort. What is the point of going on about this continually otherwise?

Of course it is their decision. And yes, they're unpredictable. Which guarantees nothing.

It would be nice if we could now get back to the book. Whose title perhaps gives us a message: 'I Am Brian Wilson'.
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »

ok.  Ang wins this round !

the book will be a must have for us all.  It will make for a fascinating read and discussion !
the book must be approached with some trepidation.  It will contain a host of historical facts,
like the last one, and what else?  Will it reflect the influence of others?
Will it be a mere moment in time for Brian? (meaning it could be quite different if it were compiled
the month before or the month after publication.)

- book
KDS
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »

ok.  Ang wins this round !

the book will be a must have for us all.  It will make for a fascinating read and discussion !
the book must be approached with some trepidation.  It will contain a host of historical facts,
like the last one, and what else?  Will it reflect the influence of others?
Will it be a mere moment in time for Brian? (meaning it could be quite different if it were compiled
the month before or the month after publication.)

- book

I'm looking forward to reading both Brian and Mike's books next fall.  I think they'll both be good read and offer different perspectives of one of the greatest bands of all time. 

Now, when's Al going to find himself a publisher?
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:54 PM »

yes !  and Bruce and David and Darian and Scott and Paul.  Now we have a compendium !

btw, over the years Mike Love has been the epitomy of consistency in his recollections. Solid and unchanging.

- unlike
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »

Following the 2012 reunion tour, 2016 would've been the next logical time/year to have another Beach Boys' tour with the original members. The 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds and/or Good Vibrations is a valid, and more importantly, marketable theme. The problem is that it's already August and the next thing you know it will be Christmas. Unless they would be targeting late 2016, isn't it a little late to be planning such a tour? Not to open up that can of worms again, but I would think Mike & Bruce are already booking dates for 2016.

Let's say they were looking at a "Pet Sounds Reunion" tour (or whatever) for the Summer of 2016. They wouldn't be announcing that right now anyway. They probably wouldn't announce something like that until February or March of next year. We don't know what's being talked about.

When was C50 announced in relation to the start of the tour?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2015, 01:21:05 PM »

they played the Gammies Feb 12

the reunion announcement  was therefore prior, prolly Dec or Jan
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »

they played the Gammies Feb 12

the reunion announcement  was therefore prior, prolly Dec or Jan

Dec 16 2011.

I don't believe a PS50 until Al lets the cat out of the bag anyway.
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »

you are correct, sir.  look to Al for some sort of hint.  he gets fidgety and blubbery.

- he also opens all his gifts before Christmas
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2015, 02:28:03 PM »

Well, we must have managed a whole two or three posts about the book before... yawn... what was I writing?

The book is about Brian Wilson. If you want to write another one about how much you want a reunion, then you can start a thread about that. If you must.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx