gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680721 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:15:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Brian Wilson: New Autobiography  (Read 73263 times)
Turtle_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2015, 05:26:04 AM »

Looks like this is set for release on 8 October 2015.

Book Description from Amazon:
I Am Brian Wilson tells the incredible story of his life. From his success with the Beach Boys to battles with his personal demons, it is anchored in Brian's first person account of his life, his struggles and triumphs, delving deep into his musical and emotional life, talking for the first time about his relationship with his abusive father and his passive mother; his alienation as a teenager; and his struggles to lead the Beach Boys away from surf music into groundbreaking experimental music.
Brian sheds light on his long periods of isolation and creative stagnation, and the mental illness that has plagued him since his teenage years. He also tells, for the first time, how he was able to reinvent himself creatively in the 1990s and 2000s, and describes in detail how he was able to rebuild his life and create the happiest most stable period of his life.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:56:47 AM »

Not seeing it on U.S. Amazon.
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-am-Brian-Wilson/dp/1444781332/

Earlier forum topic: Brian to 'write' autobiography

Google: "I am Brian Wilson"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:20:08 AM by Sjöman » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »

Figures the UK Amazon has it before the band's actualy birth country  LOL
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:36 AM »

I Am Brian Wilson tells the incredible story of his life. From his success with the Beach Boys to battles with his personal demons, it is anchored in Brian's first person account of his life, his struggles and triumphs, delving deep into his musical and emotional life, talking for the first time about his relationship with his abusive father and his passive mother; his alienation as a teenager; and his struggles to lead the Beach Boys away from surf music into groundbreaking experimental music.
Brian sheds light on his long periods of isolation and creative stagnation, and the mental illness that has plagued him since his teenage years. He also tells, for the first time, how he was able to reinvent himself creatively in the 1990s and 2000s, and describes in detail how he was able to rebuild his life and create the happiest most stable period of his life.

You forgot the rest of the text: 
>>Along with Brian's own words, his story is told through the people that know him best, including his wife Melinda;his best friend and band leader Jeffery Foskett; members of the original Beach Boys and other faces from the world of music, including Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, David Crosby, Lindsay Buckingham, Bob Dylan and others. <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:02:05 AM »

>>Along with Brian's own words, his story is told through the people that know him best, including his wife Melinda;his best friend and band leader Jeffery Foskett; members of the original Beach Boys and other faces from the world of music, including Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, David Crosby, Lindsay Buckingham, Bob Dylan and others. <<

Wow, this sounds awesome.  Can't wait.

RZA
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »

I'd love to read some recollections by David Sandler, Jack Rieley, and Danny Hutton in this!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »

talking for the first time about his relationship with his abusive father and his passive mother;

Well it was about time wasn't it. Roll Eyes

I'm looking forward to this...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:35:19 AM »

Let's hope the book is better then the title.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »

I'd love to read some recollections by David Sandler, Jack Rieley, and Danny Hutton in this!

And Steve Desper!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »

This sounds like a great concept. I really hope that release date is solid info....it would only make sense to release it the year of the biopic and new album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »

This sounds like a great concept. I really hope that release date is solid info....it would only make sense to release it the year of the biopic and new album.

I reckon it's good, as the digital edition is set for the same date.

I laughed when I read your post Bgas, then checked out the description on amazon and came away hinking "wtf?": okay, so Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, David Crosby, Lindsay Buckingham and Bob Dylan have probably spent more time with BW than most of us here, are they really among those who "know him best"? I hope my intake of breath is misplaced, or that it's poorly phrased… celebrity endorsement is fine, but the way I read it, Bono and Elvis Costello are probably the best friends waiting next inline…

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »

I laughed when I read your post Bgas, then checked out the description on amazon and came away hinking "wtf?": okay, so Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, David Crosby, Lindsay Buckingham and Bob Dylan have probably spent more time with BW than most of us here, are they really among those who "know him best"? I hope my intake of breath is misplaced, or that it's poorly phrased… celebrity endorsement is fine, but the way I read it, Bono and Elvis Costello are probably the best friends waiting next inline…

I am hoping that this will just be some quotes that these people have made, and not be more than a small section of the book.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »

I am hoping that this will just be some quotes that these people have made, and not be more than a small section of the book.

That's what I'm hoping as well.  This is supposed to be an autobiography.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »

I don't mind the idea at all. It'll definitely help give the book more dimension. Instead of being told solely from the perspective of Brian, we'll get a well rounded look at Brian from the perspective of family, friends, and fellow artists who've been greatly influenced by him.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 11:45:17 AM »

Consider those names mentioned apart from a notion of an "endorsement". David Crosby was in the same circle of LA musicians and friends as Brian, and says he took Van Dyke Parks to Brian's house to hear an acetate of "Sloop John B" before it was released, which could have been the first time Parks and Wilson actually met if not on the same level as when Melcher connected them at that later party which led to the collaboration. Lindsey Buckingham actually worked on music with Brian for the first solo album, and has cited Brian for years as one of his biggest influences in music and production, and which we all know "Tusk" was a major tip of the hat to Brian's production styles. Paul McCartney also performed with Brian, has been probably the most vocal and public champion of citing Brian's influence, and the two have met personally and privately at various times since the 70's, more than has been written about. Paul Simon toured with Brian back in 2001, performed at the tribute show and other events, and has also been a vocal fan for years. Bob Dylan may be the only one who has not obviously or publicly worked with Brian musically, but who else but Dylan can claim status in that upper-echelon of musicians from the 60's era who were both part of it and witnesses to the new music and innovations which were happening at the time? I'd put Crosby in that group as well, as someone who was making music most people now consider part of the rock-pop revolution in the 60's and who was also soaking up and taking influences from his peers and friends in the same business who were cutting these amazing records.

Their voices both as collaborators, fellow musicians and more importantly peers in the music business, and those who can cite specifically Brian Wilson as an influence on their music, I think can be weighted somewhat more heavily than those of a cross-section of musicians and pop stars who may share the admiration and influence but weren't as directly connected, either through actual performance/recording or being in the same elite peer group as all that legendary music was being made.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »

^
Dylan in fact did work with Brian, on a version of 'the Spirit of Rock and Roll'.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »

Finally, at long last.  Maybe we'll learn what kind of pizza Brian likes.  That information is way-LONG overdue. Wink

This struck me immediately upon seeing it in the text...  "Along with Brian's own words, his story is told through the people that know him best, including his wife Melinda;his best friend and band leader Jeffery Foskett;"

Now if Jeffrey Foskett IS Brian Wilson's "best friend" then Brian must have absolutely no problems with Mike Love or what Mike is doing with the Beach Boys and for 'BRI'.  I mean think about it.  A "best friend" would never just cut and run and sign on with the 'other side' .  It would demonstrate 'bad form'... a kind of betrayal if you will.

WAY TOO EARLY to suggest that some key players and components will not be included as sources for the book.  If THAT is the case though then the 'new autobiography' might not be all that most of us hope it will be.  It cannot be only a painting.  It has to be a series of 'candid photgraphs' examined.  [wink, wink]  Only then will we learn 'what it was like.' Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »

Finally, at long last.  Maybe we'll learn what kind of pizza Brian likes.  That information is way-LONG overdue. Wink

This struck me immediately upon seeing it in the text...  "Along with Brian's own words, his story is told through the people that know him best, including his wife Melinda;his best friend and band leader Jeffery Foskett;"

Now if Jeffrey Foskett IS Brian Wilson's "best friend" then Brian must have absolutely no problems with Mike Love or what Mike is doing with the Beach Boys and for 'BRI'.  I mean think about it.  A "best friend" would never just cut and run and sign on with the 'other side' .  It would demonstrate 'bad form'... a kind of betrayal if you will.

WAY TOO EARLY to suggest that some key players and components will not be included as sources for the book.  If THAT is the case though then the 'new autobiography' might not be all that most of us hope it will be.  It cannot be only a painting.  It has to be a series of 'candid photgraphs' examined.  [wink, wink]  Only then will we learn 'what it was like.' Cool Guy

OH!  Candid photographs!!  Here's another one of mine: 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

I laughed when I read your post Bgas, then checked out the description on amazon and came away hinking "wtf?": okay, so Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, David Crosby, Lindsay Buckingham and Bob Dylan have probably spent more time with BW than most of us here, are they really among those who "know him best"?

No, the book info lists those people as "other faces from the world of music", not necessarily as "people that know him best".
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:25:42 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »

Great shot, bgas! From 1977 I presume?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »

To suggest that Brian might be happy that Jeff went with Mike might be just too hard for some of the conspiracy theorists here to contemplate Add Some.  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 02:07:17 PM »

OH!  Candid photographs!!  Here's another one of mine: 

With the exception of those teenage crew-cut shots, this has got to be about the shortest Brian ever had his hair in adulthood, right?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »

I laughed when I read your post Bgas, then checked out the description on amazon and came away hinking "wtf?": okay, so Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, David Crosby, Lindsay Buckingham and Bob Dylan have probably spent more time with BW than most of us here, are they really among those who "know him best"?

No, the book info lists those people as "other faces from the world of music", not necessarily as "people that know him best".

To my reading, that implies that those "other faces from the world of music" are among those who knew him best. I hope I'm wrong, is all Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »

Not really suggesting that Brian is happy about it Pretty Funky.  I''m just, as I have since 'it' happened, wondering WTF's 'up' with THAT?  Certainly NOT a "best friend" move.  UNLESS... ... ... Huh  Unless...it's OK.

Yes CenturyDeprived...that sure is a BAD boot-camp 'look'.  And when I say "bad" I mean it in the traditional sense.   Although shaving his back sure worked.  Brian looks to be in pretty good physical condition as well.  bgas's pic, candid as it is, confirms for certain what many have debated, argued and pondered over for decades...ie:...that Brian actually named his 'pecs' Carnie and Wendy...after his daughters.  It's how he was able to tell left from right during that specific era.  The sweat-shirt confirms that I was, as usual, wrong.

It also confirms that 'the little fella' was NOT Al. Evil
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:49:23 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx