gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:21:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Brian Wilson: New Autobiography  (Read 73615 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2015, 12:15:01 PM »

I'd like to add a few points to consider, regarding previous books like Carlin's, etc., and how this upcoming book may indeed be different on one huge point.

The Carlin book had a major strength in my opinion that came from the sources he had accessed for the research. There were firsthand accounts, thoughts, descriptions, and opinions from people who had been close to Brian who were asked to describe their experiences on any number of events. Unlike some of the previous bios and books, you had high school friends of Brian's, 1960's sources like Michael Vosse, Danny Hutton, etc, and beyond adding their new input to tell the story. Those who had in any way interacted with people like Bob Hanes via emails, phone, or even fan group posts had an idea of who some of these people were and what they could add to the history. Rich Sloan, Bruce Griffin, Robin Hood, and others could fill in some of the early memories and moments which could carry forward into whatever era was being discussed and draw possible connections as to how and why some things played out as they did.

It was very similar to what Timothy White accomplished in his book, where his calling card was to delve as deep into the family tree and the backstory of many "current" Beach Boys events and happenings in order to draw some of those same connections to the past. White's telling of the Wilson and Love family histories is still perhaps the definitive historical telling of that aspect of the band's story.

But...what both Carlin and White (and others, too) lacked was that specific one-on-one conversational telling of the story from Brian himself. A lot of the historical events in Carlin's book had to be told in the usual pastiche method, where you'd read accounts from other observers or participants, you'd read transcripts of existing session tapes or other audio/video material, and where you'd get a patchwork of quotes and excerpts from previous interviews. It was not necessarily a bad thing, but it was using what was available to work with in telling the story.

So the Carlin book had a lot of third-person narrative and narratives excerpted from previous sources, but what may have been lacking was that element of speaking with Brian one-on-one and letting the tape roll as he spoke directly in his own words (and with a current perspective) about what happened or more importantly, what *he thought* about what happened with decades of retrospect in play.

I don't view that as a negative, again it was working within what was available as other books had done, and bringing out some sources that had not been heard from previously, or had not been as prominently featured previously, was the "fastball" or main appeal of Carlin's book. But it never felt like, nor was it probably intended to be, "Brian in his own words". It was more of a historical overview, and as that it worked quite well and is essential reading along with the other obvious titles in that essential category.

Let's take the first Landy-led "biography" off the table in these considerations, shall we? If it hasn't been debunked and dismissed as much as it should be, it's a rather easy task to pursue by reading through the chapters after Landy and his team entered the story.

I guess I'm not getting the reticence or the reluctance to see this upcoming book as something offering a new take and a new, firsthand perspective on the historical points we all talk about and ponder endlessly as fans. It may or may not incorporate some of the same excerpting as done by Carlin, White, Preiss, and other previous authors, but I get the feeling this will be different for the fact that we'll hear Brian himself commenting and describing some of these with a modern perspective.

The difference? Take any 'event', say the KHJ summer 1967 incident where nighttime DJ Tom Maule got visited by Brian and his entourage hand-carrying the new Heroes acetate to give KHJ a world premiere spin of the new record, and Maule balked before he was ordered to play it. In all the books so far, we've gotten a mash-up of Melcher's account via Tom Nolan, and other pieced-together accounts. On *this board* we've gotten other perspectives from those like Stephen Desper who was involved directly, from fans like Custom Machine who know a helluva lot about KHJ and radio history, and others among us who can add various points to give a wider focus on what has passed into (apocryphal?) legend...but which may have more elements.

That KHJ story may or may not even be mentioned in the book, we'll find out soon, but how much more can we underestimate or downplay on this board how important and how interesting it would be to get Brian's own words and thoughts on that matter and others without relying on articles published 40+ years ago, rather than look at it for something new that hasn't really been published in this way previously?

Multiply that times any similar stories where a modern, personal take on them from the man himself have been few or far between in any previous bios or books, and you have more than a few reasons why this project could (or will) in fact be different.

And, of course, actually finding out what's in the book when it comes out is a given at this point, but worth restating anyway.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:24:15 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2015, 12:29:36 PM »

Some good points made here as to past books, but it seems to me you're going on a premise that Brian is actively involved in his new book and will be including revelations galore.  
 Do you have some insider information on which to base your speculations or are you simply trying to promote the book blindly, based on the publicity?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:51:55 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »

I'm another who thought Carlin's book was really well done, especially for me as a newbie wide-eyed fan. It delved into the making of each album with considerable detail (making me curious enough to go out and buy every album), it was well written, told the whole story (as best as it could be told) from beginning to end. I can see why it would disinterest older fans, but to new fans it's a great introductory to the life of Brian. Whether it'll be the definitive story time will tell.

Chalk me up as another who thinks Catch a Wave will remain the definitive Brian Wilson biography. Unless Brian really, finally let's go and bares his soul on the more sensitive topics (SMiLE, in-fighting, home life details) as well as murkier ones we don't know too much about (Smiley, Adult/Child, Landy from his perspective) then this will be somewhat pointless.

Assuming that the Amazon UK summary is legit, and coming from Brian's team, then it already looks like the book is going into heretofore under-discussed areas. Yes, Brian has of course talked about Murry, but not with the depth or clarity that he’s certainly capable of.  As far as his mother is concerned, Brian has mostly kept his opinions to himself (between the two parents, Murry has hogged all the attention). The apparently current view of his mother as “passive” is without a doubt a negative judgment of her, so that's already one bombshell right there.  With respect to his mother, the question now is whether Brian will only open that door a crack (which was what happened in 1991, and which resulted in litigation), or whether he will kick it down and let the light shine in.

The celebrity contributions might be designed to convince the more casual reader of how artistically significant Brian really is (sort of like the celebrity interviews in the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times documentary in the 90s). Perhaps the book will simply be p.r.-oriented in some sections, and fairly dark and heavy in others. In Brian's case, 400 pages or so are probably not nearly enough to cover everything in depth.

Well put. The Amazon summary clearly describes this book as being anchored by Brian's own first person account, and the topics listed sound fairly controversial. Doesn't sound like a puff piece to me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »

Some good points made here as to past books, but it seems to me you're going on a premise that Brian is actively involved in his new book and will be including revelations galore.  
 Do you have some insider information on which to base your speculations or are you simply trying to promote the book bllindly?

In return, how do you know he's not, for one? So you must think that the project is nothing but a rubber stamp on the last page, but based on what exactly? Do you have insider knowledge of the project? If not, than why try to convince anyone else of how little involvement there is or was? The premise is, wait until it comes out and then let the opinions fly all over cyberspace, because then at least we'll have something concrete to judge for ourselves.

I'll gladly discuss anything I've written, but how is it that my comments and commentary above triggered this kind of reply while other opinions about the book being good or bad or even saying "it won't be as good as fill in the previous book title or band member's name" before a single page or excerpt (or official release date, for the record) has come out have gone unchallenged or just accepted as a consensus?

I'll engage a conversation but not if it feels like I'm being called on to defend something I write with a positive angle in this way while other opinions suggesting all things negative and cynical are taken in stride. I reject double standards as passionately as I do hypocrisy, for the record.

And no, I have not seen nor heard nor read as much as an actual sentence from the upcoming book, but I can offer my opinion that those doing to the book what they did to the album last year, which is suggesting they already know how bad it will suck in comparison to something they'd rather see, or how much less "essential" or less good they're convinced it will be prior to even seeing a single advance sentence from said book says a lot about those writing those opinions. But for a small handful on this board, that's unfortunately how things go. Cynical and negative from the first announcement onward.

And lest I get charged again with trying to shut down opinions as I was regarding the album talk last summer, if someone actually reads and doesn't like the book and expresses the reasons why, that's perfectly fine, and let's dialogue a bit on our thoughts. But forming such strong negative opinions without reading a single word or hearing a single note can be very revealing...I'll leave it at that.

And where in my writings above, any of the several thousand or more words, have I gone anywhere as close to overly praising or "promoting" the book as those who have gone out of their way to decide in advance what it will be and how bad it will be with no knowledge whatsoever of the project?

So if countering that with my opinions and observations and speculations that lean more positive and less cynical about projects that haven't been released yet, call it "blindly promoting" for all I care. I'll weigh that as much as I do those who have already written off this and other upcoming books and projects in general based on nothing but personal bias and cynicism.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:00:30 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »

The Amazon summary clearly describes this book as being anchored by Brian's own first person account

How dare they post something like that.  LOL  Evil  Cool Guy  Wink  Banana Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2015, 03:01:17 AM »

Looks like this has now been pushed back to OCTOBER 2016 - well that's what the release date is now on my Amazon UK account  Undecided

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2015, 03:26:43 AM »

Looks like this has now been pushed back to OCTOBER 2016 - well that's what the release date is now on my Amazon UK account  Undecided

That's down to changing authors recently. Jason Fine's exact status on the project had been questionable for some time before Brian let the cat out of the bag in a recent interview. Exactly why depends on who you listen to.

So, looks like Brian's and Mike's memoirs could hit the shelves at almost the same time. Most excellent. Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2015, 03:35:06 AM »

Cheers AGD - didn't know that. GRRRRRR....  Cry

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2015, 04:12:17 AM »

So, looks like Brian's and Mike's memoirs could hit the shelves at almost the same time…

… which means it'd make sense to hav them published around the time of something that could drum up a load of favourable PR… a PS50 reunion tour, for example Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2015, 04:17:17 AM »

So, looks like Brian's and Mike's memoirs could hit the shelves at almost the same time…

… which means it'd make sense to hav them published around the time of something that could drum up a load of favourable PR… a PS50 reunion tour, for example Grin

And maybe before each show they could do a lecture....argh... already done in Beach Boys land...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2015, 06:32:11 AM »

That's down to changing authors recently. Jason Fine's exact status on the project had been questionable for some time before Brian let the cat out of the bag in a recent interview. Exactly why depends on who you listen to.

Would love to hear your theory.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2015, 08:34:15 AM »

Mike alluded to a possible return of the full group just after the end of the C50 show.   It was implied that a period of time between reunion tours would rekindle interest and circumvent diminishing returns on the expensive full group shows.   Starting to sound like 2016 might be the time, if any.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »

Mike alluded to a possible return of the full group just after the end of the C50 show.   It was implied that a period of time between reunion tours would rekindle interest and circumvent diminishing returns on the expensive full group shows.   Starting to sound like 2016 might be the time, if any.

Pray tell, why ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »

I'd be shocked if that happened since both camps seem to be doing pretty well. 

But, stranger things have happened. 
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2015, 04:17:20 PM »

I'd be shocked if that happened since both camps seem to be doing pretty well. 

But, stranger things have happened. 

Yeah, I think Mike's too proud to ask the others to join him and he seemed to hate doing C50.

Brian's on top of the world, new album, new movie, book coming out...why would he dilute that asking someone who seemingly didnt like working with him and "fired" him to tour together again?

I just dont see it happening

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »

I haven't  known  Brian  to be someone who likes talking about himself, but who knows? He has always let his music do the talking. I am willing  to be surprised  though. I'll buy the book,but we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:51:28 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 03:36:45 AM »

A thread about Brian's book and - yet again - back to the subject of a possible reunion.  I'm not surprised Brian seemed to be irritable about the subject in a recent interview. It seems that whatever he does - new albums, tours, another book, a film about his life - it always harks back to the past.

If it happens, it happens (maybe if I think and wish and hope and pray it won't come true) but perhaps we should enjoy the things we have got now rather than constantly wanting to turn back the clock.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2015, 07:47:53 AM »

A thread about Brian's book and - yet again - back to the subject of a possible reunion.  I'm not surprised Brian seemed to be irritable about the subject in a recent interview. It seems that whatever he does - new albums, tours, another book, a film about his life - it always harks back to the past.

If it happens, it happens (maybe if I think and wish and hope and pray it won't come true) but perhaps we should enjoy the things we have got now rather than constantly wanting to turn back the clock.

Hey Ang, I know you're one of those people that wants Brian to move forward and not look back, but when you're part of one of the biggest groups in musical history, it's gonna come up. A lot.

I mean....shoot, even look at Paul McCartney. He's had a whole lot of success both solo and with Wings (which was basically a solo project under a band name. Yet I doubt there was a day from 1970 thru 1980 where he wasn't asked when he'd get back with John, George and Ringo. And even after the loss of John, people still wanted to know, will you reform The Beatles with George and Ringo. And then they finally do it, and finish two new songs together. Then George passes away. Yet, still to this day, you still have people asking if Paul will finish the song "Now and Then" that John worked on before he died. So even though Paul and Ringo are left, people still want new Beatles music.

So how could you blame them if there are seven men out there who were/are Beach Boys (including the two biggest players, Brian and Mike) still around. People love The Beach Boys. They've done a lot of amazing stuff together. And people want more. That's just how it goes.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »

Hey Ang, I know you're one of those people that wants Brian to move forward and not look back, but when you're part of one of the biggest groups in musical history, it's gonna come up. A lot.

I mean....shoot, even look at Paul McCartney. He's had a whole lot of success both solo and with Wings (which was basically a solo project under a band name. Yet I doubt there was a day from 1970 thru 1980 where he wasn't asked when he'd get back with John, George and Ringo. And even after the loss of John, people still wanted to know, will you reform The Beatles with George and Ringo. And then they finally do it, and finish two new songs together. Then George passes away. Yet, still to this day, you still have people asking if Paul will finish the song "Now and Then" that John worked on before he died. So even though Paul and Ringo are left, people still want new Beatles music.

So how could you blame them if there are seven men out there who were/are Beach Boys (including the two biggest players, Brian and Mike) still around. People love The Beach Boys. They've done a lot of amazing stuff together. And people want more. That's just how it goes.

I understand why it happens but after awhile it is just like listening to nagging. If a thread is specifically about the the possibility of a reunion, OK, but must it be brought up  even in threads that have nothing to do with the subject?

As I've written before, Brian has toured with the Beach Boys for a relatively short period: the early years and then not until 1976 and after, when he certainly didn't seem to be enjoying it much for the most part. He  reached the artistic peak of his song writing career at the time he was not touring with the Beach Boys and the album most consider the band's best, Pet Sounds, was mainly the brainchild of Brian and Tony Asher.  Brian seems on many occasions to have been constrained by the Beach Boys rather than truly supported by all of them and it is a pity that not only could some of the Beach Boys not keep up with him but nor could some of his fans.  He is continually being asked to 'do it again' , 'come about hard and join the young and ofter spring'. Brian's current band, on the other hand, have been unfailingly supportive and  he seems relaxed on stage with them.

Mike has shown little sign of wanting to try to move forward creatively. IMO the best songs on TWGMTR were Brian's mini suite. It therefore seems likely that a further reunion would have the same problem of factions pulling in different directions, perhaps with another 'tears before bedtime' ending. This is the last thing I would want as Brian comes to what has been suggested may be his last tour of  Europe though of course it isn't my call.

We can still see Brian - for now. We can still see Mike and Bruce. Maybe not together but if they are not really together even when they occupy the same stage, then it is better for them to be on different stages. Though they put on good shows throughout the C50 tour, there were obvious cracks and tensions. It is down to the Beach Boys. There is so much money at stake that who knows. But Brian's last words on the subject seem not to be in favour and I hope he does what makes him most happy rather than just what makes him most money.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »

ehhh...not knocking Brian but his albums, tours, book(s) and the film, for better or worse, all trade on the past.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »

Brian seems on many occasions to have been constrained by the Beach Boys rather than truly supported by all of them and it is a pity that not only could some of the Beach Boys not keep up with him but nor could some of his fans.

Of the 29 Beach Boys' studio albums released over 53 years, on which ones was Brian "constrained" by the Beach Boys and which ones could his fans "not keep up with"?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »

ehhh...not knocking Brian but his albums, tours, book(s) and the film, for better or worse, all trade on the past.

Perhaps a fair bit of criticism on the tours but for literally everything else...I mean...what should a biographical book and movie be but a telling of his past?? And I dont think it's fair to call his albums that either. Sure theyre probably similar in style to his earlier stuff but, thats his technique. His niche. The way he writes. Whats wrong with that?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 04:19:49 PM »

Brian seems on many occasions to have been constrained by the Beach Boys rather than truly supported by all of them and it is a pity that not only could some of the Beach Boys not keep up with him but nor could some of his fans.

Of the 29 Beach Boys' studio albums released over 53 years, on which ones was Brian "constrained" by the Beach Boys and which ones could his fans "not keep up with"?

Pet Sounds, SMiLE (tho not as much as is often reported), forced to release Surfs Up when he didnt want to, met with hostility with the fairy tale on Holland, pressured to give up on Adult/Child, Carl didnt want to use the Paley material, deliberately sued for completing SMiLE...I mean, is that enough? You want I should keep going?  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:22:07 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »

Pet Sounds, SMiLE (tho not as much as is often reported), forced to release Surfs Up when he didnt want to, met with hostility with the fairy tale on Holland, pressured to give up on Adult/Child, Carl didnt want to use the Paley material, deliberately sued for completing SMiLE...I mean, is that enough? You want I should keep going?  Tongue

I think your definition of "constrained" is different than mine. Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »

Find me a biography that "trades" on the present or future of the subject being profiled and I'll mix up a batch of polka-dot paint, as the 3 Stooges used to say.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx