gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:16:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Analogue Productions Vinyl Reissues - Generic info  (Read 3372 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »

Thought I’d compile some descriptions/rundowns/observations of the general packaging/notation for the Analogue Productions vinyl reissues (First five mono editions for now, it will be sometime before I get the stereo editions).

The intent is to provide a nuts and bolts preview for interested purchasers or some specifics for comparative or trainspotting purposes in one spot (as a lot of this stuff is already out there).  Corrections invited.

A/P = Analogue Productions.

Shrink wrap packaging
Tears very or too easily along perforation at top of LP (So if you want to keep these sealed, don’t even handle the top edge).

Sticker 1
The Analogue Productions quality guarantee lists five compelling elements (summarised by me) - Original Master tapes, we only use ‘em and work with the best mastering cats; Quality Record Pressings, plated and pressed by the lords; Unmatched QC, meticulous test pressing evaluation (attention, bgas) and quality control; Deluxe Packaging, HQ jackets and rice paper (yum) inner sleeves; Limited Edition - Out of Print, less than 1,000 records per stamper.

Sticker 2 (below sticker one)
Quality Records Pressing logo sticker.

Cover
Height/width around 45cms x 45cms
Depth at the Spine (thickness) is approx 4 millimeters

Spine notation from top to bottom runs:
Analogue Productions catalogue number code - e.g: APP XXXM (or S for Stereo).  (Sequences for these 5 editions is from 058 onwards)
ALBUM NAME
A black dot/separator
ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS

The cover artwork seems to have been printed separately then attached/pasted to the cardboard (I could be wrong) by folding down from the front to the back, spine first, then top and bottom tabs, with the printed cover sort of pasted onto the back. I'll have to go and rewatch the A/P vids.

Front Cover
Top Right reads: File under:  The Beach Boys . Vocal Group, Surfing Music, Car Songs (depending on which LP); the black tab/finger guide (whatever that’s called, anyone?) Then the Capitol catalogue code - e.g., T 1981

Back cover
Top right:
Capitol catalogue code
Capitol Recordings HIGH FIDELITY RECORDING block, in black curved edge border
Analogue Productions Logo  and Quality Record Pressings logo

The RIAA logo does not feature on all editions. Next to the “This monophonic microgroove….” block, AP have retained the factory print code indicator on Surfer Girl (6).

The very last line of notation from left to right reads:
Originally released in 196(X). c 2014 Capitol Records, LLC.  Manufactured by Universal Music Enterprises, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.  2220 Colorado Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90404.  B0019454-01.

To the far right of this block is the Universal Music Special Markets logo.

Inner packaging
Analogue Productions Acoustic Sounds 6 page fold out selected (targeted) catalogue listing and promo blurbs.

4 page fold out featuring a photo from the Surfin’ Safari front cover photo shoot. *This item is likely specific to the mono collection, and the story focus's on the earlier years*

Page 2 - Liner notes written by David Clouston and Marc Sheforgen
The Beach Boys
A reissue series to rival any other.  Finally one of the most important bands in history is presented in ultimate quality.

“These are the best sound and best looking versions…” quote by Chad Kassem, the king of A/P

A section entitled why mono telling how A/P weren’t initially interested in rereleasing the mono reasoning all of those beautiful harmonies panned across a wide sound stage, texture, nuance-arama was the way to go, oh and A/P wasn't familiar with these mono things (Man… Tongue) - Until some the Beach Boys band members opened A/P’s eyes to the mono mixes; with can openers I hope.

Anyway, below these sections are photos of tape boxes for Surfer Girl, Surfin’ Safari, Sunflower (side 1).  Note these tapes have been High Def archived!

page 3 - “The story”
Cliff notes - The BB’s are renowned for their distinctive unmistakable vocals, 2nd only to the Beatles re Top 40 impact. Macca has said Pepper’s was an attempt to address Pet Sounds. 3 brothers, a cousin, a friend who left for a bit, David Marks replaced Al. Brian’s undisputed genius for you know what was complemented by the talented others over the years, also Bruce joined later and they reached lofty chart heights.  It all started in ’51, Brian sang 10 year old Mike’s Old Soldier song, blah blah, a mention of Sunflower and Holland, no regurgitation of Murry’s tough love (he does get a mention), the Smile saga, or the drug related issues deterioration stories.

Production notes
Mastered by Kevin Gray at COHERENT AUDIO, most from the original master tapes, or best sources available
200g vinyl/plated by Gary Salstrom at Quality Record Pressings
Audio Production - Mark Linett
Archive and Research - Alan Boyd

Producer, Chad Kassem; Product Manager, Brent Briggs; Research Consultant, Alan Boyd; Design, James Wolf; A&R Supervision, Matt D’Amico; Audio Consultant, Mark Linett; Liner notes (as above)

Back page is an ad for the whole reissue series.

Nearly there.

LP Inner label
Capitol Rainbow style, logos and blurbs as mentioned on the front covers.
Matrix markings, from (err) left (i.e., first marking to last in a clockwork direction): label number+side (hand scribed), KMG (hand scribed), CA (hand scribed), QRP (some kind of block stamp), KEVIN GRAY (typeset/block stamp).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:44:58 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »

Many thanks for that Alan!  I don't think I have seen such a comprehensive review anywhere. I am going to take the plunge shortly! Grin
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:23:26 PM »

Exceptionally well done and complete descriptions/rundowns/observations, Alan.

May I suggest that you post this same info in the "14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD" thread, where you've already made some very informative posts.  The info you have posted above really deserves to be in that thread as well.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 02:12:19 AM »

Thanks! Mike and Custom - I really appreciate you both taking the time to read through.

Custom, good suggestion - I'll do that. 

Definitely interested to hear both of your thoughts/opinions on these reissues when you're able - cheers - A  Smiley

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:33:41 AM »

I was just curious if anyone with a good stereo system has picked up any of these pressings.  I just ordered a stereo "Surfer Girl" on ebay.  I've heard this album described as "sonically perfect".  I now agree, especially after hearing the album through a 4-channel system.  I figured it would be a good album to start with.  Any comments as to how these things sound?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 03:01:21 AM »

These reissues are freakin' great sonically.  Are they perfect? Who knows, but they're probably the best representation of the original masters to date.

You'll find further comments/discussion over on this thread, with some great posts from guys like Custom Machine - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16766.msg506414.html#msg506414 - mikeddonn, JCM and also my own hack work.

Expert/collector/audiophile who posts here, Lee Dempsey, wrote a killer article in the latest edition of ESQ which was highly complimentary of the reissues to date (and included commentary on the SACD editions) - a quote from Lee's article appears on the A/P website - http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95566/The_Beach_Boys-Surfer_Girl-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

My preference is for the mono, but the Chuck vintage stereo mixes are also great and each presentation has much too offer - including great instrumental separation and balanced EQ across the clearly defined mix.

Whether the forthcoming stereo mixes sourced from digital mixes prepared by Mark Linett will be as nifty on vinyl is too be seen - but will probably be a dog's ears thing, I'm expecting good results.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »

Thank you!  Can't wait to get my copy in the mail.  Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »

Probably the wrong thread but the first I could find quickly that was related…

Amazon UK has the stereo Shut Down Vol II LP for a shilling under £20. Not seen cheaper.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »

Probably the wrong thread but the first I could find quickly that was related…

Amazon UK has the stereo Shut Down Vol II LP for a shilling under £20. Not seen cheaper.

SCRUB THAT… in the 20 minutes since I bought it, it's more than doubled in price!  Shocked

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx