gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680818 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:00:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saddest Song  (Read 14147 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2015, 06:42:22 AM »

All you 'Til I Die voters you gotta be kidding - there's nothing sad about its melody/sound/lyrics whatsoever. The extended mix even less so.

Lyrically the song is about being a speck of nothing in a world in which you have no control over.  To some that feeling of insignificance could be inconsequential, to others it's truly sad....there's nothing wrong with either perception.

As for the overall mood of the melody and instrumentals, the Desper mix does a perfect job of creating an atmosphere of void. Each note played on the vibraphone rings out beautifully then vanishes into emptiness (which could be construed as sad - depends on the listener).

Woodstock mentioned earlier that the outro sounds more like a mantra, the narrator comes to grips with the reality of life and finds peace. The melody/chord progression in this section sounds very uplifting, so one could definitely argue that the song's coda is meant to be uplifting. But this is Brian Wilson we're talking about here - his music sometimes never reflects the nature of the lyrics....thus allowing varied interpretations for each listener to choose from (which is part of the brilliance of Brian's songwriting). There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on the listener.
Maybe that "space" is built-in to allow your mind to wander.  They say that the kids who "stare out the window" in school are often the most creative because they find places to let their minds wander, in an institutional setting, which often fosters creativity.  My take is that Brian realizes that we are a small spot in the larger cosmos, regardless of our stature (whether worldly, high-profile, or not.)

And, I love the Endless Harmony Alternate Mix (Mr. Rockin' Desper!) with its deliciously long and undulating melody section, and I agree that it is a lyric that is a "coming to terms" with life...

Happy Friday the Thirteenth!   Beer
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »

Til I die is not sad. How can one of BW's most perfect songs make you sad. Ridiculous.  Inconceivable.

To say a song is sad is not the same as saying it makes you the listener sad Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »

For me, it's 'Midnights Another Day' - mainly for the line - 'All these people, make me feel so alone'

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »

Carry Me Home - especially the utterly haunted cover by Primal Scream - one of the best BB covers.......

Perfect,  just one more.....
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »

Again, I mention the BLW Carl  material released after his passing.    that stuff just brings tears sometimes.    Like he knew the end was near.    final statements.  I know he didn't write it all but is SO fits, and never fails to move me
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »

Carry Me Home - especially the utterly haunted cover by Primal Scream - one of the best BB covers.......
Haunted is the word! An extraordinary EP all round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4x1YB88_s

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2015, 06:16:09 AM »

I find yearning and wistfulness in Brian's music far more often than I find misery or depression. Take Til I Die. On one level this is existentialist and sad but it can be read differently - though perhaps not as Brian intended. I often remember the rhymes about shape shifting, like 'I will go into a hare....' (and no, it isn't meant like THAT!). Also in this song, Brian includes all but one of the four elements - air, earth, water - missing out only fire.

Perhaps the saddest thing for me wasn't actually a song but the sound effects at the end of Pet Sounds: the dogs barking, the sound of a train. I remember seeing Pet Sounds live at the Royal Festival Hall in 2002. The audience beginning to applaud and then falling silent in surprise as those sounds began - soon to be followed by an even greater standing ovation and massive audience R E S P E C T.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx