gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:01:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saddest Song  (Read 14068 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »

I don't find there songs to be sad, but if I had to choose...

Baby Blue
A Day in the Life of a Tree

Heaven- Carl Wilson
Tug of Love- Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 05:44:18 PM »

I think "the Lonely Sea" is worthy of being mentioned. I'm surprised no one's picked it yet.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:47 PM »

'Til I Die'...for sure.  Not the subject matter we choose to face ... at least not with zeal.  Unless your name is Bob=cork, Russell[rustle]=leaf...or Rock.

'Summer's Gone'...not so much the actual perforance [because generally the Beach Boys 'sound' puts a positive spin on almost anything] but rather for the thought of what it represents.  ie:  The 'Boys' are pretty much finished.

'Pacific Coast Highway'...because nobody can catch utter lonliness and how incomplete one feels while in that state of mind like Brian.  Even with all that beauty...driving down Pacific Coast Highway...it sounds like the ride is over and the driver?  Forever to be disappointed...and alone.
Touche Add Some......Summer's Gone  without a doubt..... so so sad lyrics... as the end of the Boys is near....just like the setting sun. 
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 01:33:52 AM »

Oh Lord

Levine leak the floppy disc man, its been 30 years.

(Sh#t! .... 30 years!!  I'm getting old)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 03:59:12 AM »

Wind Chimes, easily the saddest BB's song ever.

But! Have you noticed, that none of the BB's songs are THAT sad, I mean sad sad sad, with no hope anywhere and depressing mood crushing your soul. The music always has some hope to it. Even Til I Die. The lyrics are frankly quite depressing, but the floating music rises the listener above all the angst described in the lyrics. One of the many, many reasong why I quite like their music. Brian couldn't help but be true to his mission, uplift people spiritually.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 05:04:50 AM »

Jukka, can you name a song you find "sad sad sad, with no hope anywhere and depressing mood crushing your soul" by another artist? That would be interesting, to hear one for comparison.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 05:25:53 AM »

Jukka, can you name a song you find "sad sad sad, with no hope anywhere and depressing mood crushing your soul" by another artist? That would be interesting, to hear one for comparison.

I know you didn't ask me but what about Lou Reed's The Kids. I find it almost impossible to listen to.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »

Leaving This Town - Fataar-Chaplin- C.Wilson-Love - and the message I take from that song, is that "geography doesn't change the desperate situation."

And, contrary to many, I don't happen to find Brian's work depressing, in the slightest, but philosophical, reflective, contemplative...

It may not be all not sunshine and lollipops, and neither is life, but causes one to think, ponder and reflect, and ultimately confront issues, amounting to healthy handling of issues, rather than burying them.  Getting things out on the proverbial table.  And I think this has its place in the corpus.  Sometimes we all need the quiet of listening to our own hearts beat.  And dial back the noise.

On the flip side, Brian did and does write upbeat, and very funny and optimistic music.  The Waltz is hilarious to me. I think he totally captured the era he wrote about, in the rear view mirror of life.  And it is my favorite Parks lyric.  Wink
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:55:09 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »

Yeah, The Kids! I would have mentioned the same.

Also, the whole genre of doom metal. Not much hope going on there.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »

Wind Chimes, easily the saddest BB's song ever.

But! Have you noticed, that none of the BB's songs are THAT sad, I mean sad sad sad, with no hope anywhere and depressing mood crushing your soul. The music always has some hope to it. Even Til I Die. The lyrics are frankly quite depressing, but the floating music rises the listener above all the angst described in the lyrics. One of the many, many reasong why I quite like their music. Brian couldn't help but be true to his mission, uplift people spiritually.

So true.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »

Leaving This Town - Fataar-Chaplin- C.Wilson-Love - and the message I take from that song, is that "geography doesn't change the desperate situation."

And, contrary to many, I don't happen to find Brian's work depressing, in the slightest, but philosophical, reflective, contemplative...

It may not be all not sunshine and lollipops, and neither is life, but causes one to think, ponder and reflect, and ultimately confront issues, amounting to healthy handling of issues, rather than burying them.  Getting things out on the proverbial table.  And I think this has its place in the corpus.  Sometimes we all need the quiet of listening to our own hearts beat.  And dial back the noise.

On the flip side, Brian did and does write upbeat, and very funny and optimistic music.  The Waltz is hilarious to me. I think he totally captured the era he wrote about, in the rear view mirror of life.  And it is my favorite Parks lyric.  Wink

I agree.  Even in the most difficult times under the most oppressive conditions, there was a glint of humor or a joy in the music itself from Brian.  I agree about the reflective songs as well.  Possibly I'm projecting, but when you've had some amazing times in your life, I think looking back brings a sense of pleasure and pride.  Brian surely must be proud of what he's survived and his unbelievable accomplishments. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 03:26:05 PM »

The music always has some hope to it. Even Til I Die. The lyrics are frankly quite depressing, but the floating music rises the listener above all the angst described in the lyrics. One of the many, many reasong why I quite like their music. Brian couldn't help but be true to his mission, uplift people spiritually.

I've seen this posted before, and I just don't get that sense of it at all
 I hear  someone at peace with themselves/their universe. Life goes on , I'll roll with  the punches...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SBonilla
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »

My Diane.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »

For somebody who thinks of himself as Mr. Upbeat, Mike has written some sad songs.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »

The music always has some hope to it. Even Til I Die. The lyrics are frankly quite depressing, but the floating music rises the listener above all the angst described in the lyrics. One of the many, many reasong why I quite like their music. Brian couldn't help but be true to his mission, uplift people spiritually.

I hear  someone at peace with themselves/their universe. Life goes on , I'll roll with  the punches...
"I lost my way"..."It kills my soul" : That's someone at peace with their place in the universe?
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »

Endless Harmony
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »

"I lost my way"..."It kills my soul" : That's someone at peace with their place in the universe?

I see the outro as the narrator finding peace in life...its the way the music resolves, and the lyrics are chanted, almost like a mantra.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »

Maybe it's simply one of those > glass half empty/half full < sort of feelings.

>>I'm a cork on the ocean   Floating over the raging sea   How deep is the ocean?   ...  I lost my way <<   Floating nicely, just not sure where he's at 
 >>I'm a rock in a landslide   Rolling over the mountainside   How deep is the valley?   ...  It kills my soul <<   Yes, sure,  the immenseness of it all is numbing/amazing,  but cool 
 >>I'm a leaf on a windy day   Pretty soon I'll be blown away  How long will the wind blow? ...  Until I die...These things I'll be until I die <<    Accepting, peaceful, Life goes on... 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 09:20:33 PM »

My Diane, hands down.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 02:20:15 AM »

The Night Was So Young, for me.

That palapable yearning, the sense of separation and the competing futile resistance against and begrudging acceptance of reality.

The night was so young and everything still
The moon shining bright on my window sill
I think of her lips, it chills me inside
And then I think why does she have to hide

Is somebody gonna tell me why she has to hide
She's passin' it by, she won't even try
To make this love go where it should

The sky's turnin' gray, there's clouds overhead
I'm still not asleep, I'm in my bed
I think of her eyes and it makes me sigh
I think of her voice and it makes me cry

Is somebody gonna tell me why she has to lie
She'd be so right to hold me tonight
Love was made for her and I

It's three o'clock I go to my sink
I pour some milk and I start to think
Is she asleep or is she awake
And does she think of the love we could make

Wake up, call me baby call me tell me what's on your mind
I've got a car and you're not too far
Please let me come over to you

The night was so young and everything still
The moon shining bright on my window sill
I think of her lips, it chills me inside
And then I think why should she hide   

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 03:07:20 AM »

County Fair.  Poor Mike.  Sad

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2015, 03:46:20 AM »

Cuckoo Clock. Poor cuckoo.  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »

Oh Lord, without doubt.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 10:11:06 AM »

Cuckoo Clock. Poor cuckoo.  Grin
Day in The Life of a Tree. Poor tree.  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 04:43:33 AM »

Oh lord
A day in a life of a tree
It´s over now (demo)...

..I need to take this fear and force it down
 And just pretend that you are not around
 It's over now

I'll put a Frank Sinatra album on
 And cry my blues away
 It's over now..

These three crush me every time i hear them..especially these words from It´s over now..

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx