gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:55:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Breakup - September 2, 1977  (Read 4378 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »

Can anyone identify the author and title of the Rolling Stone article about the band split at the airport on 9/1/1977?  I'm looking for that article.

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:53:46 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »

Can anyone identify the author and title of the Rolling Stone article about the band split at the airport on 9/1/1977?  I'm looking for that article.

Many thanks!

The Beach Boys - No More Fun Fun Fun, John Swenson – Rolling Stone Magazine 10/20/77

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »

This link has it, plus some other interesting stuff.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=6867.0
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »

Many thanks to - once again - this board, for providing the missing links! 

That Bruce interview was from Goldmine and pretty entertaining, as I recall.  I think the full length interview covered everything unreleased and currently in the vault, at that time.  Love to read the whole thing if anyone has it.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »

Read some of that link C Kid provided.  SO MUCH to take in in one sitting.  A birthday to remember for Al eh?  Not nice, at all, what he said to Dennis.  Bet he wishes he could take THAT back.  And now that the times that WERE a-changin' have, in fact, changed... ... ...In a sense...almost 40 years later...it hasn't changed much [see 2012]...except for the need of a second plane for Carl and Dennis [Oh SO sadly].  Jealousy and bullshit.  And reality.  And money.

Then the later interview with Bruce and his observation about the shape radio was in.  I wonder what he thinks of it now?  By and large it's way worse.  But he missed the reason why it was bad and also why the Beach Boys were hard pressed to get any air-time.  Radio became increasingly bad because of the choices made available to it musically speaking.  [And they chose music with their eyes instead of their ears...using 'charts' instead of instinctive talent.]  When you only get to choose from a floundering pool of mediocre tuneage...it's going to suffer.  The Beach Boys weren't competing with themselves or their former records.  They were competing with the accepted  quality of the day...and still losing.  Even when the choices were as limited as they were.  Paling in comparison to themselves didn't help any though.

It was the the late summer of '82 when I sat down, post show, in Winnipeg with Bruce back in the bar at the Winnipeg Inn.  Everyone was there except Brian.  Even Dennis who didn't attend the concert...but instead went to see E.T. at the theatre...was there.  The guys all sat at different tables with whomever they were there with.  Mike was restless and ended up standing outside alone searching the late night sky for meteors.   I sat to speak with Bruce not for interview purposes but rather to just enjoy his company and to more or less relax and shoot the breaze.  He wasn't a happy guy that night.  Things looked a little precarious.  Was he going to leave?  Was the group coming apart at the seams?  Was the magic ALL dried up?  Artistically I got the impression that Bruce was a combination of disappointed and frustrated.  I think, though, that these feelings and how they were collectively feeling and what they were individually saying on any given day were always subject to change without notice.  Next time I saw Bruce and asked him if things were better?  He looked at me as if I'd just landed from Mars.  I just checked an old day-planner.  I had actually returned from Mars several weeks earlier.  Odd. Huh

At least now...33 years later ...[wow 33 years!!!  Man alive!!!]... the pressure is off.  They know, Mike and Bruce that is, that they don't HAVE to do anything but show up and perform 'the show' .  Any other expectations are long since WAY behind them.  As it turns out...for the casual fan...'the show' is really all they want...and THAT is way more than good enough.  Bruce mentioned in one of the articles that doing 'the show' is fun.  It still is I would guess.  As long as people keep showing up and enjoying the heck out of it Mike and Bruce and their backing crew who help them pull it all off night in and night out are really doing a VERY good thing.  They make people HAPPY every time they go to work.  Can't beat that...can you? Cool Guy

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:03:07 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »

Many thanks to - once again - this board, for providing the missing links! 

That Bruce interview was from Goldmine and pretty entertaining, as I recall.  I think the full length interview covered everything unreleased and currently in the vault, at that time.  Love to read the whole thing if anyone has it.

It's in Goldmine # 65/October 1981 ; I'll put it in Media, but I'm not certain you'll be able to read it all. My camera probably leaves something to be desired....

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »

*koff* scan it *koff*

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »

Did you choke on something, Andrew?  angel

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 07:00:58 AM »

*koff* scan it *koff*

yes yes, but my scanner worls about half the time these days, and it's not nearly large enough to do whole pages...  
But, for you Andrew, I'll try!  

Edit; Done. better, but some are skewed.
NOW, Andrew, as my scanner is only 8-1/2 X 11, as are most of them I think, perhaps you could send me the $$ to buy one that will scan 11 X 14 which is the size of older Goldmine and Rolling Stone( and other) pages so I don't have to make multiple passes ?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:02:31 AM by bgas » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 07:49:06 AM »

Did you choke on something, Andrew?  angel
Oh, I'm quite sure he did. He seems to "koff" quite frequently.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »

*koff* scan it *koff*

yes yes, but my scanner worls about half the time these days, and it's not nearly large enough to do whole pages...  

NOW, Andrew, as my scanner is only 8-1/2 X 11, as are most of them I think, perhaps you could send me the $$ to buy one that will scan 11 X 14 which is the size of older Goldmine and Rolling Stone( and other) pages so I don't have to make multiple passes ?

Sell the T2580 acetate.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »

*koff* scan it *koff*

Sell the T2580 acetate.

Ahh, I could NEVER dip into my collection Just for a scanner...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx