gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:47:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Store Day, April 18, 2015  (Read 3533 times)
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:21:21 AM »

Building on the excellent suggestions on the No Pier Pressure thread by lee for a vinyl single and ontor pertawst for an EP, I thought it might be helpful, since Brian is an official Smiley Smiler now, to start a thread in which those who are interested can voice their support for a Brian Wilson vinyl single or EP for Record Store Day, just eleven days after No Pier Pressure hits the shelves. Perhaps, a seven- or ten-inch single to complement the double vinyl album.

The Beach Boys (Capitol/Universal) have supported past Record Store Days with two different releases and I think it would be pretty cool if Brian released a single or EP.  It would provide a perfect vehicle to release some bonus cuts -- live recordings or a song or two that did not make the album. 

So, if you're so inclined, consider voicing your support for a Brian Wilson Record Store Release!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »

Isn't a bit late in the production schedule to start pushing for new releases for April? I'd think that the processes to produce a vinyl specialty product would already have to be in progress to make an April date. If we'd like to petition for a Fall Record Store Day release, that might be more doable.

I could be wrong, but these things do take some time from start to realization.

It would be nice if it happened, tho.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:03:10 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »

Isn't a bit late in the production schedule to start pushing for new releases for April? I'd think that the processes to produce a vinyl specialty product would already have to be in progress to make an April date. If we'd like to petition for a Fall Record Store Day release, that might be more doable.

I could be wrong, but these things do take some time from start to realization.

It would be nice if it happened, tho.

Two Months is plenty of time, IF they want it to happen, especially considerng that any tracks they might use have already been recorded.
 BUT getting someone to decide soonest has to be the progam
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:11:02 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

If I'm going to spend the money they're asking for the CD...I don't want ANY extra, unreleased bonus material to come out on vinyl.  I want it ALL on the g'd-ed cd.  I'm tired of being ripped off with partial releases.  You want to include bonus vinyl 45's as an ADDED bonus?  Groovy.  But don't make 'em unique.  I vote NO effin' way.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:44:54 AM »

I'm in...and if you got some old unreleased Beach Boys stuff then Il take that too..."Carry me home" would be nice

picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »

Why hasn't this happened yet? Grin

Announcing Beach Boys Record Store Day 2013 Limited Edition Releases

The Beach Boys are accompanying their career-spanning collection Made in California with a Record Store Day 2013 limited edition release of two "lost" albums and accompanying 7"s.

Titled Reverberation and Landlocked, these two "lost" albums from 1970 have been long speculated about in collector's circles, but are largely unknown to the general public. Although not technically "lost", these collections were working titles for songs that were in the running for the seminal albums Sunflower and Surf's Up.

Reverberation was a working title for the Beach Boys proposed final Capitol album, dated June 19th, 1970 - before the group decided to deliver Live In London instead. Landlocked was a working title for Surf's Up, and was originally a tape of tracks compiled by engineer Steve Desper that were in consideration for the Beach Boys second Reprise album.

Although the original sequencing for these collections is uncertain, various track listings have surfaced over the years - with many of the proposed songs making it on to completed albums. This limited edition release does not attempt to duplicate those original sequences, but instead proposes an alternate 1970, where the Beach Boys released both a last Capitol album, and a new Reprise album in-between Sunflower and Surf's Up, duplicating none of the tracks on those celebrated releases.

Also included are four unreleased 7" singles. Included among the tracks are speed corrected covers of "With a Little Help from My Friends" and "The Letter" recorded during the 1967 Wild Honey sessions and originally released on the out of print Rarities collection in 1983. "My Solution" is a never before released Halloween themed Brian Wilson curio from 1970, whose musical theme was later resurrected for his solo track "Happy Days" in 1998. Also included is Brian's charmingly bizarre health restaurant shout-out "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way", originally released on the 1993 Good Vibrations box. On the flip-side is an unreleased and unfinished slice-of-life Brian track "Walkin'".

Rounding out the 45s  is the unreleased Dennis Wilson gem "Carry Me Home", from the Holland sessions. Deemed "too dark" to be a Beach Boys track, this spine-tingling song has criminally never been released until now. On the flip side is the gospel inspired fragment "Out In The Country" an Al Jardine track also from the Holland sessions.

1967 through 1973 was a very fertile period for the Beach Boys, with all members of the band contributing mostly high quality, if not interesting work. The list of unreleased tracks worked on during this era was huge, many of which for space and sequencing issues were left off Made In California.

All tracks are sourced from the original analog tapes, with accompanying period style artwork, and are strictly limited edition.

Tracklistings:

REVERBERATION LP

1. A Time To Live In Dreams
2. Break Away (Brian Lead)
3. Celebrate The News
4. Sail Plane Song
5. We're Together Again
6. Mona Kana
7. Cotton Fields (Stereo Single Version)
8. San Miguel
9. Can't Wait Too Long
10. Old Folks At Home
11. Ol' Man River
12. Walk On By

LANDLOCKED LP

1. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
2. Lady (Single Version)
3. Good Time
4. Susie Cincinatti
5. Games Two Can Play
6. Back Home
7. 4th Of July
8. Loop De Loop (Original Mix)
9. Over The Waves
10. Big Sur (4/4 Version)
11. I Just Got My Pay
12. Sound Of Free
13. Where Is She
14. When Girls Get Together (Instrumental)
15. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS 7"

1. With A Little Help From My Friends (Speed Corrected)
2. The Letter

HELP IS ON THE WAY 7"

1. HELP Is On The Way
2. Walkin'

MY SOLUTION 7"

1. My Solution
2. My Solution (without narration)

CARRY ME HOME 7"

1. Carry Me Home
2. Out In The Country

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »

That's really cool, Picasso.

I'd like to see the Boys begin an official Bootleg Series (like Dylan) or a From the Vault series (like the Stones) or Archives (like Neil Young).  C'mon guys, It's About Time.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:27:50 AM »

That's really cool, Picasso.

I'd like to see the Boys begin an official Bootleg Series (like Dylan) or a From the Vault series (like the Stones) or Archives (like Neil Young).  C'mon guys, It's About Time.

Absolutely. Have thought for a long time that the Beach Boys would be perfect for a bootleg series style set of releases to mop up all those incredible outtakes and non album singles. Start it off with Adult Child and roll from there ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »

Or start with the Brother Reissues Proposed Bonus Tracks  or the Bedroom Tapes   

Just Start!! 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:45:38 AM »

Or start with the Brother Reissues Proposed Bonus Tracks  or the Bedroom Tapes   

Just Start!! 

Yep those would do nicely!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »

Why hasn't this happened yet? Grin

Announcing Beach Boys Record Store Day 2013 Limited Edition Releases

The Beach Boys are accompanying their career-spanning collection Made in California with a Record Store Day 2013 limited edition release of two "lost" albums and accompanying 7"s.

Titled Reverberation and Landlocked, these two "lost" albums from 1970 have been long speculated about in collector's circles, but are largely unknown to the general public. Although not technically "lost", these collections were working titles for songs that were in the running for the seminal albums Sunflower and Surf's Up.

Reverberation was a working title for the Beach Boys proposed final Capitol album, dated June 19th, 1970 - before the group decided to deliver Live In London instead. Landlocked was a working title for Surf's Up, and was originally a tape of tracks compiled by engineer Steve Desper that were in consideration for the Beach Boys second Reprise album.

Although the original sequencing for these collections is uncertain, various track listings have surfaced over the years - with many of the proposed songs making it on to completed albums. This limited edition release does not attempt to duplicate those original sequences, but instead proposes an alternate 1970, where the Beach Boys released both a last Capitol album, and a new Reprise album in-between Sunflower and Surf's Up, duplicating none of the tracks on those celebrated releases.

Also included are four unreleased 7" singles. Included among the tracks are speed corrected covers of "With a Little Help from My Friends" and "The Letter" recorded during the 1967 Wild Honey sessions and originally released on the out of print Rarities collection in 1983. "My Solution" is a never before released Halloween themed Brian Wilson curio from 1970, whose musical theme was later resurrected for his solo track "Happy Days" in 1998. Also included is Brian's charmingly bizarre health restaurant shout-out "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way", originally released on the 1993 Good Vibrations box. On the flip-side is an unreleased and unfinished slice-of-life Brian track "Walkin'".

Rounding out the 45s  is the unreleased Dennis Wilson gem "Carry Me Home", from the Holland sessions. Deemed "too dark" to be a Beach Boys track, this spine-tingling song has criminally never been released until now. On the flip side is the gospel inspired fragment "Out In The Country" an Al Jardine track also from the Holland sessions.

1967 through 1973 was a very fertile period for the Beach Boys, with all members of the band contributing mostly high quality, if not interesting work. The list of unreleased tracks worked on during this era was huge, many of which for space and sequencing issues were left off Made In California.

All tracks are sourced from the original analog tapes, with accompanying period style artwork, and are strictly limited edition.

Tracklistings:

REVERBERATION LP

1. A Time To Live In Dreams
2. Break Away (Brian Lead)
3. Celebrate The News
4. Sail Plane Song
5. We're Together Again
6. Mona Kana
7. Cotton Fields (Stereo Single Version)
8. San Miguel
9. Can't Wait Too Long
10. Old Folks At Home
11. Ol' Man River
12. Walk On By

LANDLOCKED LP

1. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
2. Lady (Single Version)
3. Good Time
4. Susie Cincinatti
5. Games Two Can Play
6. Back Home
7. 4th Of July
8. Loop De Loop (Original Mix)
9. Over The Waves
10. Big Sur (4/4 Version)
11. I Just Got My Pay
12. Sound Of Free
13. Where Is She
14. When Girls Get Together (Instrumental)
15. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS 7"

1. With A Little Help From My Friends (Speed Corrected)
2. The Letter

HELP IS ON THE WAY 7"

1. HELP Is On The Way
2. Walkin'

MY SOLUTION 7"

1. My Solution
2. My Solution (without narration)

CARRY ME HOME 7"

1. Carry Me Home
2. Out In The Country

Because it's rancid with inaccurate information ?  Grin

"Although the original sequencing for these collections is uncertain..."

Oh really ?

Master reel for Reverberation as prepared 6/19/70:

Cotton Fields (45 version, DuoPhonic)
Loop De Loop
All I Wanna Do
Got To Know The Woman (mono mix)
When Girls Get Together (track only)
Break Away
San Miguel
Celebrate The News
Deirdre
The Lord's Prayer (stereo remix of 1963 version - actually electronically reprocessed)
Forever

Master reel for "2nd Warner Brothers LP" as prepared 9/1/70:

Loop De Loop
Susie Cincinnati
San Miguel
H.E.L.P. (as in "... Is On The Way")
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Carnival
I Just Got My Pay
Good Time
Big Sur (4/4 version)
My Lady (= "Fallin' In Love")
When Girls Get Together
Lookin' At Tomorrow
How Deep Is The Ocean Surf's Up (= 'Til I Die minus Brian's lead)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:52:49 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 01:28:30 AM »

'How Deep Is The Ocean Surf's Up (= 'Til I Die minus Brian's lead)'

...is that two separate tracks (TID and SU?)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:49 PM »

Nope: that's what's written on the tape box (bit in brackets is my addition).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx