gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:14:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 90 mins. with The Beach Boys - Dennis Wilson commentary  (Read 7350 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »

hey gang,

I've just come across a reel of tape..... does anyone know much about this program, '90 minutes with The Beach Boys'Huh

here is a sample of the audio, if you wanna hear the whole reel, i'll dub it off...

https://soundcloud.com/rickenbacker2000/audio-recording-on-friday

darn he sounds so much like Carl.....

RickB
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:50:22 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 12:27:39 AM »

Fascinating! Please, please dub the whole reel... Anybody knows from when this is? I would guess 1972.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »

please, dub & upload. pm me it or post soundcloud link or whatevz.  really great clip you uploaded, would love to hear the rest.

is it 90 whole minutes of dennis talking or is there other things, people talking about dennis, etc?

No mas, por favor.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 01:05:57 AM »

Great find!!! I think I may of heard this awhile ago. Pretty sure it's 76 or 77.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:07:57 AM »

Great find!!! I think I may of heard this awhile ago. Pretty sure it's 76 or 77.

I definitely think it's later than Micha's '72 estimate, but not quite the same as it was during 15 Big Ones or Love You.

So I'm going to say it's from 1974.  Grin

No mas, por favor.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 01:37:45 AM »

I've just played the tape right through....

the tape box is marked RL.3..... so I assume there is before and after reels....... this tape came from a local radio station....

unfortunately, after playing through, there is only a couple of other comments from Denny.....

and the tape only clocks in at 25 minutes.....

but for what it's worth...... skip through the tunes to hear what he says:

https://soundcloud.com/rickenbacker2000/tape-3-dennis-wilson-commentary-of-bb-songs

Hope others may chime in and tell us more about this audio series.

RickB
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 02:24:25 AM »

Thank you Rick!!! I've definitely heard this before, can't remember when. Sorry I'm not much help.
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 03:08:50 AM »

Thank you! It's always fascinating to hear contemporary reports about the Boys. Smiley

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 03:19:13 AM »

Thanks for the upload!  Smiley To me, Dennis's voice sounds to hoarse to be from the early 70's. I would guess no early than 1975.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 03:44:51 AM »

When did the other Boys sell out their shares of Brother Studio to Dennis and Carl? 'Cause from DW's comments that he and Carl own the place, rather than the group, it's after that date.

BTW, this is awesome!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:47:59 AM »

wish I knew more about this recording, I was told by the seller this was from 5BA Adelaide, Australia....

this must have been produced nationally in America?

I have no other details..

RickB
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:45:26 AM »

Thank you a big lot for uploading! Smiley The sound quality is awesome - was it recorded from the airwaves?

Thanks for the upload!  Smiley To me, Dennis's voice sounds too hoarse to be from the early 70's. I would guess no early than 1975.

I've seen Billy Hinsche's documentary on the 1974 tour recently, and Dennis' voice was much darker there than here. Even in the 1960s, his voice was a bit hoarse. But given that the Holland album is mentioned in this longer version, my 1972 estimation was obviously wrong, so I'll go with 1973 now.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 05:57:52 AM »

Wow, this is terrific! It's always great to "hear from" the Beach Boys in various eras. I don't think Dennis sounds at all like Carl, except that they both had the same California accent--the emphasized "L" sound and various distinct vowel sounds.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:36:52 AM »

wish I knew more about this recording, I was told by the seller this was from 5BA Adelaide, Australia....

this must have been produced nationally in America?

I have no other details..

RickB

Darn outdated Computer won't open this!!  
But it almost has to be from a radio show originating in the US/UK, as they didn't make it back to Australia until 1978, after their 1970 tour

As to the hoarseness noticed, how would it compare to his voice in this 1976 interview, which seems fairly clear to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVItbEJBkJM
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:54:56 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »

Great find! Thank you!

I'm actually always surprised how much Dennis sounds like his mid-60s self when talking but then sounding like a different person when singing.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »

When did the other Boys sell out their shares of Brother Studio to Dennis and Carl? 'Cause from DW's comments that he and Carl own the place, rather than the group, it's after that date.

BTW, this is awesome!

That dates it to before fall 1978.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »

Wow! Rick, thanks for taking the time to share this with us, much appreciated - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 02:49:18 PM »

yeah sorry I don't have the rest of it........ I asked the person I got the tape from, but he had

nothing else to add, and that he had no other reels.....

somebody out there on 'smiley' must have the complete interview with Dennis here's hoping...

RickB
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »

Pretty sure it's from 1977 and perhaps broadcast a little later outside the US. It's vaguely familiar and if I have heard before it's on one of a bunch of cassette tapes I received from an infrequent poster here in 1979 or 1980.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »

Wow, this is terrific! It's always great to "hear from" the Beach Boys in various eras. I don't think Dennis sounds at all like Carl, except that they both had the same California accent--the emphasized "L" sound and various distinct vowel sounds.

I've always wanted to know what this "California accent" is. I've asked many people here in the Bay Area and they say they've never heard of it before. Everybody's heard of the Canadian, Texas, Boston, New York, Chicago and other accents, but nobody (until now) has clarified what it is. I listen to members of The Beach Boys talk and I don't hear any Southern California drawl or emphasis on "L's" and vowels. I'll keep listening for it, though!  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 04:17:12 PM »

I'm gonna guess it's from 1977 because the interviewer asked Dennis at the end of "Disney Girls (1957)" if it's true that the song is 20 years old.  So, maybe he was trying to tie in the 1957 from the title?  That's my two cents at least.

Thanks for sharing!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 04:49:23 PM »

Darn outdated Computer won't open this!!  

Me too.  I've gotta upgrade.  I think my windows doohicuss is like from 2000 or something in that vicinity.  I've uploaded the Chrome thing.  Or did I download it?  Anyway...it doesn't work.  Im an analog man.  And how's THAT workin' out for me?  Not so well. Embarrassed

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »

So the DJ mentions his name, Dave Prince. I see he seems to have done more than the Beach Boys in this '90 Minutes With... 'series as here is a set of tapes with the Rolling Stones dated Jan 1977.

http://youtu.be/UbieCbkX9EE

That would put the series possibly recorded 1976 (during the BB 15 year hype) played late 1976 or sometime 1977.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »

So the DJ mentions his name, Dave Prince. I see he seems to have done more than the Beach Boys in this '90 Minutes With... 'series as here is a set of tapes with the Rolling Stones dated Jan 1977.

http://youtu.be/UbieCbkX9EE

That would put the series possibly recorded 1976 (during the BB 15 year hype) played late 1976 or sometime 1977.

And those tapes( Rolling Stones) were sold thru Gumtree in the UK, about 3 years ago.  
Here's the rest of the ad that wasn't shown on Youtube:  

>>
Included is a 5-page cue sheet. The boxes show some wear from storage but the reels are in excellent condition.
 Please note I have no way of testing the content of the reels and reels are being sold with no rights attached to the content! Click pictures below for more info
 These would be a great Xmas present for any Rolling Stones fan!

Feel free to make an offer with the Buy It Now or Best Offer feature!

Other artists available such as;
BEE GEES
BEN E KING
BRAND X
CHUBBY CHECKER
JAN & DEAN
LITTLE RICHARD
PAVLOV'S DOG
PRELUDE
BRYAN FERRY
THE CARPENTERS
SHA NA NA
PETULA CLARK
ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
NEIL SEDAKA
But NOT included with this purchase, please ask for details.  <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »

Pretty sure it's from 1977 and perhaps broadcast a little later outside the US. It's vaguely familiar and if I have heard before it's on one of a bunch of cassette tapes I received from an infrequent poster here in 1979 or 1980.

Same here. Dave "Sangoo" Prince was a DJ in Detroit from 1960 - 1975. Then he was a DJ in L.A. on KHJ and KIIS from 1975 until 1980. So more than likely when he was out in L.A. in the late 70's he interviewed Dennis. I know it doesn't narrow it down to the exact year, but most likely late 70's. Duh......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx