gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:49:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capitol to Release Brian Wilson's 'No Pier Pressure' April 7: press release  (Read 46556 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2015, 05:06:09 PM »

Summer's Gone had an air of finality to it.  Would have been fitting as a last song. 

It probably was the last Beach Boys song.

Sad, but probably true.

New album next year

Nah, 2017 to tie in with Mike's book.

I asked in the "Thanksgiving" thread and got no answer. Thus I'm asking here. Up until 2 months ago AGD and other knowledgeable people denied every wish or comment about a possible new album. Now.... not so. Is there anything they've been privy to? If so, I'll catch a plane to L.A. and raise a toast with the professor.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2015, 05:44:19 PM »

It's been stated from early on that there were two version of "The Last Song" -- one with Lana and one without.

If she's not listed on the official Capitol press release, then I would wager she's not the record. That is not an oversight.
And that makes me HAPPY!   Thumbs Up

Nothing at all against Ms. Del Rey, of course.  She may have made a perfectly nice contribution, but from the few things we have heard about the genesis of this number (and particularly with a title like "Last Song"), there's no other voice alive that I'd want to hear singing the lead than Brian Wilson.

Frankly, there are no other voices than current and former Beach Boys voices that I'd want to hear anywhere on it.

Mind, I'd be perfectly happy to entertain the version with Lana at some point, too.  If they release it as a single, a B-side, put it on some charity album or rarities collection, I'll be all over it, and be glad for it.

But this one sounds like it could be special; really special.  And I'm thankful we'll get the chance to hear Brian sing it first.

As for the rest of the things that I am excited/curious about, upon reading the press release:

- I mentioned in this topic's sister thread that "Sail Away" intrigues me not only for the Brian/nautical theme connection, but for the inclusion of Blondie (and Al), too.

- "On the Island" has had me excited for months now.  I cannot wait to hear the full record.

- Every number which includes Al and/or David Marks makes things that much more special!

- All of the songs with no guests listed [So, I 'm guessing just "All Brian, all the time"].

- And then come the numbers with the other guests.  They may be fantastic, but going in, the concept doesn't blow me away.  But I'll certainly listen with an open mind!  As I said, "On the Island" sounds great to me, so maybe the others will really cook.

- And hey, someone questioned whether the three bonus numbers found on the deluxe version are sourced from Brian's "Life Suite"?  I haven't scanned through the whole topic yet; do we have any idea about these?

Finally (and I know that I've also mentioned this before], I'm not going to lie: I am disappointed that this could not have been a Beach Boys album, as Brian had first envisioned.  I'm not going to deny that.

But I'm also not going to dwell on it, either.  I'd much rather celebrate what we are getting in April.  But the thought is there...
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2015, 06:19:25 PM »

It's been stated from early on that there were two version of "The Last Song" -- one with Lana and one without.

If she's not listed on the official Capitol press release, then I would wager she's not the record. That is not an oversight.
And that makes me HAPPY!   Thumbs Up

Nothing at all against Ms. Del Rey, of course.  She may have made a perfectly nice contribution, but from the few things we have heard about the genesis of this number (and particularly with a title like "Last Song"), there's no other voice alive that I'd want to hear singing the lead than Brian Wilson.

Frankly, there are no other voices than current and former Beach Boys voices that I'd want to hear anywhere on it.

Mind, I'd be perfectly happy to entertain the version with Lana at some point, too.  If they release it as a single, a B-side, put it on some charity album or rarities collection, I'll be all over it, and be glad for it.

But this one sounds like it could be special; really special.  And I'm thankful we'll get the chance to hear Brian sing it first.

As for the rest of the things that I am excited/curious about, upon reading the press release:

- I mentioned in this topic's sister thread that "Sail Away" intrigues me not only for the Brian/nautical theme connection, but for the inclusion of Blondie (and Al), too.

- "On the Island" has had me excited for months now.  I cannot wait to hear the full record.

- Every number which includes Al and/or David Marks makes things that much more special!

- All of the songs with no guests listed [So, I 'm guessing just "All Brian, all the time"].

- And then come the numbers with the other guests.  They may be fantastic, but going in, the concept doesn't blow me away.  But I'll certainly listen with an open mind!  As I said, "On the Island" sounds great to me, so maybe the others will really cook.

- And hey, someone questioned whether the three bonus numbers found on the deluxe version are sourced from Brian's "Life Suite"?  I haven't scanned through the whole topic yet; do we have any idea about these?

Finally (and I know that I've also mentioned this before], I'm not going to lie: I am disappointed that this could not have been a Beach Boys album, as Brian had first envisioned.  I'm not going to deny that.

But I'm also not going to dwell on it, either.  I'd much rather celebrate what we are getting in April.  But the thought is there...
I'm not the least bit concerned that M&B won't be on the album. I'm sure that not having the lovester poke his nose into this project made it far more enjoyable for everyone involved. It will sound just fine without those two on board now or ever again. The icing on the cake would be to have Brian's next album be a BB affair sans Mike Love. Here's hoping!  Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »

Someone who's adept at Photoshop should replace the Brian Wilson text on the "NPP" cover with the Beach Boys logo.
A rather quick job, but I hope that it's to your liking:

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »

I'm a little surprised that the Hollens song is on the album. It's been available for a few months now on his own album. I was not expecting it to appear on NPP.

And then comes the next question: why isn't Emile Haynie - "Falling Apart" (Feat. Andrew Wyatt & Brian Wilson) on the album? Love it!!

http://youtu.be/uo2JLzGiEj4
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:38:07 PM by bsten » Logged
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »

I'm not the least bit concerned that M&B won't be on the album. I'm sure that not having the lovester poke his nose into this project made it far more enjoyable for everyone involved. It will sound just fine without those two on board now or ever again. The icing on the cake would be to have Brian's next album be a BB affair sans Mike Love. Here's hoping!  Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance w00t! w00t!
Cheesy

Oh, but I didn't mean to imply that it would ruin the experience for me, mate!

Part of it is that Brian wanted it to be a Beach Boys project; that this is what he was envisioning as he composed.  So I'm sorry for him that he didn't have that realized.

Second, I won't deny that I love Mike Love's voice on Brian Wilson's songs.  I just do.  Not necessarily as the lead singer on each and every number, or anything, but as part of that classic mix.  The suite numbers from TWGMTR, for instance?  Without taking a single proper lead, I felt that Mike's voice lent something truly wonderful to the mix.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

And Bruce?  I still enjoy his voice well enough, I suppose.  Maybe it's more, "If you're going to have every other living Beach Boy on the thing?  Well, then you'd may as well ask Bruce, too."  Tongue

But I'm happy you're happy, brother!  I am, too.  I haven't been this excited for a release since... well, since 2012.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »

I'm a little surprised that the Hollens song is on the album. It's been available for a few months now on his own album. I was not expecting it to appear on NPP.

And then comes the next question: why isn't Emile Haynie - "Falling Apart" (Feat. Andrew Wyatt & Brian Wilson) on the album? Love it!!

I think NPP features BW compositions, or co-compositions. He didn't have a hand in writing "Falling Apart," as far as I know, or the Mini Mansions tune, either. He did, however, write "Our Special Love" with JT, so ...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2015, 04:00:29 AM »

For all of you counting down: http://itsalmo.st/#nopierpressure_7oayu Afro
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2015, 07:33:38 AM »

Someone who's adept at Photoshop should replace the Brian Wilson text on the "NPP" cover with the Beach Boys logo.

Lacks a surfboard. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2015, 08:03:34 AM »

Has a Holland vibe to it....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2015, 08:33:50 AM »

Yes! Just think, this is what we'd be seeing if Brian had the name instead of a phony, tacky incarnation that exists presently.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »

Probably closer to this

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »

Yes! Just think, this is what we'd be seeing if Brian had the name instead of a phony, tacky incarnation that exists presently.  Roll Eyes

The name is just a license for touring. Neither Brian nor Mike or Al can release a studio album under the name "The Beach Boys" without the others

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »

The name is just a license for touring. Neither Brian nor Mike or Al can release a studio album under the name "The Beach Boys" without the others

I think the point of the 'Shopped version is to explore what might have been, since Brian originally wanted the next album to be a Beach Boys project.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »

I think the point of the 'Shopped version is to explore what might have been, since Brian originally wanted the next album to be a Beach Boys project.

That was certainly my intent.  Just a glimpse at how things might have looked in that alternate universe where the project came together as Brian first envisioned:  As a Beach Boys album.

Puni puni may have given us the more likely outcome, what with the Torrence logo, and all.  And though I think the "modern" logo has its place, the Cooper Black font makes for what I see as a much more timeless Beach Boys look.

Anyway, I put the picture up because a fellow member asked, and I knew I could probably do a passable job of it, quick-like.  I certainly don't want to steer things too far away from what is important here.  Brian Wilson is releasing a new album in two months (and I couldn't be more excited)! Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »

Yes! Just think, this is what we'd be seeing if Brian had the name instead of a phony, tacky incarnation that exists presently.  Roll Eyes

My comment was directed at "The Legendary OSD"'s post that I quoted and not at the photoshopped picture.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:59:40 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »

I think NPP features BW compositions, or co-compositions. He didn't have a hand in writing "Falling Apart," as far as I know, or the Mini Mansions tune, either. He did, however, write "Our Special Love" with JT, so ...

Ok, thanks!! Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »

First time I've zoomed in on that album sleeve image… had thought the bronze coloured arrangement beyond the blackened pier legs was a set of wind chimes! But it's just more pier legs… hey ho!

“We live in divisive times.”
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »

First time I've zoomed in on that album sleeve image… had thought the bronze coloured arrangement beyond the blackened pier legs was a set of wind chimes! But it's just more pier legs… hey ho!
I like your idea better. Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »

I'm guessing sunlight isn't something you're too well acquainted with...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2015, 10:43:59 PM »

Summer's Gone had an air of finality to it.  Would have been fitting as a last song. 

It probably was the last Beach Boys song.

Sad, but probably true.

New album next year

Nah, 2017 to tie in with Mike's book.

I asked in the "Thanksgiving" thread and got no answer. Thus I'm asking here. Up until 2 months ago AGD and other knowledgeable people denied every wish or comment about a possible new album. Now.... not so. Is there anything they've been privy to? If so, I'll catch a plane to L.A. and raise a toast with the professor.

Uh... how to put this politely... sarcasm not your strong point, is it ?  Grin

I was referencing the recent interview in which the inquisitor wasn't actually listening to what Mike was saying and assumed he was talking about a new BB album in 2017, not a solo project. Joke. Ha ha.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2015, 08:04:09 AM »

Hey Andrew, still think Brian's new album is gonna suck? I remember you saying quite a bit that you weren't exactly hopeful due to the long gestation time.

Personally, I really dig "Our Special Love" and most of the track listing looks super interesting to me. The live cut of "Saturday Night" didn't really do much for me, but I'm hopeful.

Anyways, have you heard any of it, and what's your general opinion sir?
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2015, 08:56:21 AM »

I'll join AGD and note a lack of personal hope.  Not that BW must prove or provide at this point.

But...he stopped fully composing a long time ago (Love You?).  Composing...where you are writing the melodies
but also establishing arrangement and production in your head.  This will be a trumpet.  A piano rhythm here.
Some echo...here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!   (I hope I am.)   But he has been more of a Brill Building song crafter
for many years now.

I think this is one reason I get excited when Al sings on a song.  It seems to be a case of Brian reaching
more deeply into the song composition.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »

Dude, do you find if I say for all to hear how I enjoy that we are unified in our love of that song and in anticipation of BW album. I maintain, for all the reasons I have outlined a score of times, that a BB album, will all the boys in artistic and spiritual and creative unity, is my hope, but I am going to enjoy what BW did, especially with Al and Dave.  Our special love could have been a hit if it were a BB song, so marketed. It's a gem. The professor has been hit with a case of shingles (temped to go to the sandbox to see if any of you have been so blessed), and that song has been on constant play as music therapy to calm my sick body and soul. It reaches the levels of BB canonicity in spirit if not in name.

Mike has to regret not swallowing his pride and making it work out to still be together. He could have; BW, AJ, and DM were all into it...

Hey Andrew, still think Brian's new album is gonna suck? I remember you saying quite a bit that you weren't exactly hopeful due to the long gestation time.

Personally, I really dig "Our Special Love" and most of the track listing looks super interesting to me. The live cut of "Saturday Night" didn't really do much for me, but I'm hopeful.

Anyways, have you heard any of it, and what's your general opinion sir?
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »

Probably closer to this

Beautiful!  Shocked

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx