gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:20:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capitol to Release Brian Wilson's 'No Pier Pressure' April 7: press release  (Read 46616 times)
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »

Happy Danny Boy is not on there, but confused if LDR is on there or not. Hopefully it's just an oversight.

Agreed. No loss there.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »

It's been stated from early on that there were two version of "The Last Song" -- one with Lana and one without.

If she's not listed on the official Capitol press release, then I would wager she's not the record. That is not an oversight.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »

That makes me sad. Maybe it'll be in her new album...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »

I can't wait.

Lana Del Ray didn't make the cut  Undecided

Unless they just forgot to mention her in the press release. Roll Eyes

Nope, they didn't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »

And/or perhaps an online single release. That would be nice, as an "alternate" way to hear the track. That would probably get Brian more genuinely "new" listeners than most of the other guest stars, if that's what they're looking for.

But as I've mentioned before, if "Last Song" is even half as epic and meaningful as they've been making it sound, I'd rather have an all-Brian version than a duet if I could only have one version.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »

TV Forces,
I said nothing about Mp3s.  I am one of those silly completist collector types.  I ordered both versions of the cd and the vinyl.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »

Maybe the Lana Del Rey track will be a Japanese bonus track, making us all have to spring for the import version.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-taps-musical-peers-for-new-album-no-pier-pressure-20150129
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 11:45:57 AM »

By the way Eric, happy belated birthday! Thanks for the url.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 11:48:39 AM »

Interesting sequencing... I like the vinyl running order, with Half Moon Bay setting up the bonus tracks rather than ending the album as in the the other versions... I dunno about an instrumental following "The Last Song." Seems they missed a trick not making it the er, last song.

Maybe the cumulative effect is super melancholy or something. But I think I'll have to pick up the vinyl! Can't wait.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:53:14 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »

Nothing at amazon has changed yet...Album still available March 31.  Can't pre-order it yet.  Will comment AFTER I have had the chance to enjoy it...as I know I will. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »

Blondie Chaplin has to be on the tour for this.

Sell Al's spare white suit if you absolutely must raise the funds for it but he HAS to be part of the band for all the dates, not just two cities. Sail Away, Wild Honey, Sail On, Sailor... bust out Hold on, Dear Brother a time or two! His guitar sound mixes in great and I just love seeing him and Al Jardine together with BW.

Bribe Ricky for a few dates too. Tell him its a Rutles reunion, whatever it takes. That lineup was unbelievable at the Venetian. Imagine how good they'd sound by the end of a tour.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:58:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »

Bribe Ricky for a few dates too. Tell him its a Rutles reunion, whatever it takes.

If only.  I'm going to see the "reunited" Rutles in April, but to the best of my knowledge it's only going to be Nasty and Barry.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 01:18:01 PM »

Maybe the Lana Del Rey track will be a Japanese bonus track, making us all have to spring for the import version.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Japanese bonus track (there often if not usually is), but I don't think they'd hide a high-profile duet there. Or, rather, they wouldn't have it exclusively there. I could envision a scenario where they issue it as a single, and then the Japanese CD includes it as a bonus track.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »

Nothing at amazon has changed yet...Album still available March 31.  Can't pre-order it yet.  Will comment AFTER I have had the chance to enjoy it...as I know I will. Cool Guy

Trust me, you'll know when the real US listing is up at Amazon. It'll have cover art, and will not be priced above $20 or so.

That current listing on Amazon for 3/31 (which is listed at $36.95 and can actually be pre-ordered) is also listed as an "Import." I'm assuming it's perhaps the Japan or UK version that Amazon might end up importing. If that's the case, the release dates don't mean much. Often, an import version of a CD on Amazon will, on "release date", then revert to "ships in 2-3 weeks" status.

I would imagine, with a press release now out, we'll see the US release up on Amazon soon. I'm guessing the "standard" version will be in the $15 range give or take, and the deluxe $20 give or take, and it could go down significantly lower by April.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »

I agree that Jeff Beck ended up acting like a tool, but I'm still bummed we won't get to hear a few of those Beck tracks. The description of a few of them, even if hyperbolic, sounded quite intriguing. Beck doing some guitar stuff with Brian and Al harmonizing wordlessly. That sounds more interesting to me than the Hollens track, for instance.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »

Happy Danny Boy is not on there, but confused if LDR is on there or not. Hopefully it's just an oversight.

Agreed. No loss there.

At least we have one good-sounding recording (via the Fallon TV show appearance) and a number of tour recordings of the "Danny Boy" rendition. So if one is inclined to like it, there is a way to hear it.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »

Blondie Chaplin has to be on the tour for this.

Sell Al's spare white suit if you absolutely must raise the funds for it but he HAS to be part of the band for all the dates, not just two cities. Sail Away, Wild Honey, Sail On, Sailor... bust out Hold on, Dear Brother a time or two! His guitar sound mixes in great and I just love seeing him and Al Jardine together with BW.

Bribe Ricky for a few dates too. Tell him its a Rutles reunion, whatever it takes. That lineup was unbelievable at the Venetian. Imagine how good they'd sound by the end of a tour.

I'm wondering, if a full tour happens, if it might be like the 2013 dates. Al on board, with Blondie at select dates. (Not sure if Dave might appear with Brian again). I think Blondie doing some Blondie-specific stuff with Brian is great (the new album stuff, Sailor, Wild Honey, maybe some other stuff like "Hold on Dear Brother" or "Funky Pretty"), but I don't know how much he would be able to contribute to a setlist with stuff like "Please Let Me Wonder" and whatnot. I certainly hope they can get Al, Blondie, Dave, and even Ricky for as many dates as possible. It would probably cost too much money to lug all these guys out on a full tour, but it would be an intriguing headline to see Brian wrestle up FIVE Beach Boys for a "solo" tour.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »

Sure, you could make that argument but if you want to put on a great show, pay the man what he's worth and gain some invaluably tasty guitar and vocal work. It'll add a helluva kick to Marcella. Plus he's all thin and wiry so you could probably fold him up and ship him with the lighting equipment... value! BW isn't going to have many more big tours in him and this is with Capitol's backing for the album,  do a few more meet and greets to pay for Mr. Chaplin! Its amazing to see those guys together on one stage and I think a lot of fans will come away pretty damn happy.

I am sure they are in a scheduling nightmare right now... but I say Blondie and Al with the core BW band for all shows and whichever NPP guests are near big cities at the time guesting on those nights make sense. You could still do plenty of NPP songs with the BW band plus Blondie and Al... a fine 2015 tour.

While i'm fantasizing, a small 2016 Brian Wilson and Al Jardine "Love You" string of shows in NYC, LA, SF, London. Or its advertised as a Pet Sounds tour and they randomly bust out Love You and Brian knocks over a chair. Rock n' roll! Darian and Scott perched over analog synths that drift out of tune! Oh, fine. Be that way... Pet Sounds. How about Love You in 2017? Anniversary! Tshirts for the kids.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:00:22 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »

And/or perhaps an online single release. That would be nice, as an "alternate" way to hear the track. That would probably get Brian more genuinely "new" listeners than most of the other guest stars, if that's what they're looking for.

But as I've mentioned before, if "Last Song" is even half as epic and meaningful as they've been making it sound, I'd rather have an all-Brian version than a duet if I could only have one version.

I agree completely.  The one thing I was hoping for was a Brian only version of "Last Song".  If it's anything close to "Summer's Gone", it'll be a masterpiece!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »

Yeah, I agree... it should be a BW track! Then hype up the Lana track... It could be a spooky mythological track... a rumor of a collaboration that was ruined when she sh*t on a dinner plate and made Melinda look at her empty eyesocket... a tinny  bootleg in 2019... .until she goes thru a born again phase or a scientologist in need of money to become an Operating Thetan and puts it out on a rarities compilation in 2021.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:11:23 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »

Where the tour goes, I'm thinkin' the more Seventies it is the better. Which means Al...with his Pilgrim hat, assuming it wasn't Frisbeed into a lake someplace by Dennis....and Blondie...hopefully doing a lead or two besides SOS and WH...and at least The Night Was So Young and Honkin' from Love You.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »

Pretty sure the SMNL remake is called "Somewhere Quiet". It's on the deluxe version.

How do you know this?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »

.and at least The Night Was So Young and Honkin' from Love You.

God yes! What a great idea on nights without one of those big guests!
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »

I'll get the Deluxe version.  Why put the bonus tracks in the middle of the album?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx