gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:56:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capitol to Release Brian Wilson's 'No Pier Pressure' April 7: press release  (Read 46558 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »

I'll get the Deluxe version.  Why put the bonus tracks in the middle of the album?

I was wondering the same thing.

Why bother with two versions anyways?  Just stick with the deluxe version and be done with it.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »

It will hit them where it most hurts (sales) not having Lana del Ray on the record, it would've been great exposure. Bizzare to not even have her on the deluxe.

Well, it was there decision to make and they made it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »

Has this been posted yet?

http://pitchfork.com/news/58275-frank-ocean-and-lana-del-rey-left-off-brian-wilson-album-due-to-scheduling/

Apparently Frank Ocean and Lana Del Rey were left off due to scheduling issues.  Sad
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »

It will hit them where it most hurts (sales) not having Lana del Ray on the record, it would've been great exposure. Bizzare to not even have her on the deluxe.

Well, it was there decision to make and they made it.

Pretty sure that her second album did worse than her first (1 million in sales vs. 5 million), and her star has fallen somewhat. She also does not do promotion.

Given that, and given how personal and important "The Last Song" is for Brian, it perhaps makes sense to leave her off. Musgraves is pretty hot right now, Zooey will do anything to help out BW, Ruess is just awesome, and the Cap Cities guy and Hollens are pleasant up-and-comers. It's a pretty balanced list, and it doesn't overwhelm the album -- only 5 of the 13 tracks feature non-BB folks on vocals.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58275-frank-ocean-and-lana-del-rey-left-off-brian-wilson-album-due-to-scheduling/

Apparently Frank Ocean and Lana Del Rey were left off due to scheduling issues.  Sad

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. The album was done last year, and it's not out til April -- if scheduling was that important, they could still be dubbing those guys on the tracks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »

Agreed. I'm Team Brian all the way, but that was not a good reason given.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »

Too bad the Q&A is over and done with. Knowing what we do now about the tracklist, we definitely should have asked him more questions about Lana Del Rey.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:59:02 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »

Too bad the Q&A is over and done with. Knowing what we do now about the tracklist, we definitely should have asked him more questions about Lana Del Rey.

.. and you think you would have gotten an honest answer?

halblaineisgood
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »

Nope. But, the key is to reach for the stars. Ask him the most unanswerable questions possible. Go hardcore.

Questions that Brian might have answered ...those are for idiots.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »

Guess I gotta check out Lana and ocean.    Never heard them.   Kept waiting for the Brian album to hear for the first time.   So I guess they will pull in a few Brian fans who are curious.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2015, 02:04:31 AM »

Direct linear descendent of 2007s "Alan won't be touring with Brian because he needs to finish up his solo album", and roughly as credible.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »

I hope this is not about image. In that regard, leaving off LDR and Frank Ocean while including the Peter Hollens collaboration would speak volumes.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2015, 05:41:40 AM »

Guess I gotta check out Lana and ocean.

Not a fan of Lana, but this should be your first stop when checking out Frank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNBD4OFF8cc
Gohi
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2015, 05:50:27 AM »

I'm still confused as to why people would want Lana Del Rey singing on what would ostensibly be a very personal attempt at a "Last Song" by Brian Wilson. Seems like a weird thing to want a guest vocalist on.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »

We know nothing, really… maybe it'll be a bonus hidden track; maybe she'll release on her own next album… I doubt it'll stay unavailable forever.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2015, 11:46:43 AM »

I'm still confused as to why people would want Lana Del Rey singing on what would ostensibly be a very personal attempt at a "Last Song" by Brian Wilson. Seems like a weird thing to want a guest vocalist on.

You don't really think it's Brian's last song ever, do you?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »

Summer's Gone had an air of finality to it.  Would have been fitting as a last song.  Now, we're getting another last song.  Maybe Brian's trying for a cool ending.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »

Summer's Gone had an air of finality to it.  Would have been fitting as a last song. 

It probably was the last Beach Boys song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »

Maybe Brian's in his "last song" era.

“We live in divisive times.”
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2015, 12:18:50 PM »

Summer's Gone had an air of finality to it.  Would have been fitting as a last song. 

Sad, but probably true.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »

Sad, but probably true.

New album next year

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »

It seems like these days “deluxe edition” and “standard edition” are becoming more like “standard edition” and “substandard edition”   Roll Eyes

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »

Someone who's adept at Photoshop should replace the Brian Wilson text on the "NPP" cover with the Beach Boys logo.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2015, 02:11:45 PM »

Sad, but probably true.

New album next year

Nah, 2017 to tie in with Mike's book.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »

I hope this is not about image. In that regard, leaving off LDR and Frank Ocean while including the Peter Hollens collaboration would speak volumes.

I don't believe that Frank Ocean actually did any recording for the project. It was more that he was one of the names talked about early on. He was "dropped" from the album at some point last year -- several news articles about the ongoing album mentioned that he didn't end up doing anything.

As for LDR, I tend to believe that her performance was in the can, but Brian preferred to sing the song himself. Her people may have had some sort of objections, too, but Brian generally figures out how to get the things he wants.

As for image, it's not like the absent guys are being replaced by hordes of college a capella singers. The surviving guests are respected indie-pop folks. We've heard the Hollens collab. already and can judge it on its own merits.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »

Personally I'm happy that Lana Del Ray is NOT singing "Last Song", given the alleged importance of it.

I think she's more hype than anything else..a kind of pre-packaged Nico for the Facebook generation.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx