gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680607 Posts in 27602 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 30, 2024, 06:09:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capitol to Release Brian Wilson's 'No Pier Pressure' April 7: press release  (Read 46307 times)
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »

Apparently the album will be released on March 31 in Germany and I guess in the rest of Europe, too. http://www.magistrix.de/news/musik/14540-album-am-31-maerz

Sometimes it's an advantage living in Europe.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:17:34 AM by Radfahrer » Logged

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »

Too bad the Q&A is over and done with. Knowing what we do now about the tracklist, we definitely should have asked him more questions about Lana Del Rey.

"Brian, what can you tell us about working with Lana Del Rey?"

"Lana is a very attractive girl. It was great working with her."

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:18:01 AM by rn57 » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2015, 06:39:28 PM »

It's a nice idea, The Beach Boys being on this album.

But let's be honest, with Mike Love in the mix a bunch of these songs would never make a Beach Boys album.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »

But let's be honest, with Mike Love in the mix a bunch of these songs would never make a Beach Boys album.

w00t! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »

Let's be honest, Summer's Gone was on TWGMTR even though Mike alledgedly did not appreciate it, so I think your estimation is not founded in reality.

If you had said with Mike Love in the mix, a bunch of these tracks would not have guest vocalists, I would agree with you that it's likely.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2015, 09:07:32 PM »

Let's be honest, Summer's Gone was on TWGMTR even though Mike alledgedly did not appreciate it, so I think your estimation is not founded in reality.

If you had said with Mike Love in the mix, a bunch of these tracks would not have guest vocalists, I would agree with you that it's likely.

Or with Mike Love in the mix, we'd have to have another remixed Mike Love Not War track awkwardly placed in the middle of the album (though I don't think Daybreak Over the Ocean is bad at all, I just think it's weird and unnecessary that it's there, especially since it uses the old basic track and vocals with the other Beach Boys tacked on instead of them just rerecording it).

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2015, 10:01:06 PM »

If you had Mike Love in a room alone with Brian, the way he wanted it to be, you might not have a song like Summer's Gone even existing whatsoever. (Yes I know the song was written with Bon Jovi + Joe Thomas at an earlier time, but I'm using it as a similar example). Mike was gonna make a stink about sad songs (even just a little stink can have consequences), and present opinionated roadblocks which might have stopped the best songs from being written or released. Sometimes sad songs don't need a touch of sunshine and happiness. Sometimes they are better without. I know people in bands are "allowed" to express their opinions, but let's face it - Brian isn't a typical guy from an emotional standpoint.

Brian hates hates hates confrontation, this has pretty been much established from decades of examples, right? Is that even arguable? Why does Mike, who as time evolved, clearly has had more creative differences with Brian than anyone else in the band over the years, think that it would make sense to anyone else (but Mike himself) to want to put Brian in the position of having to potentially confront these difficult differences all on his own?  I don't understand how sympathy is expected by Mike for his plight. Brian's desire to create deeper, sadder, outside-the-safety-zone songs, in the manner that he wants to make them, was never going to truly fly with the Brian/Mike alone in a room scenario. Caroline, Yes anyone?

I don't doubt that Brian/Mike could have written some cool tunes together, but (insert sarcasm here) heaven forbid that a song or two, overwhelmingly thought of as the best songs on a latter-day BB album, should have lyrics written by someone other than Mike. In a dream world, that should be a total non-issue to Mike (as I'm sure it would be a non-issue to Al and David if they themselves weren't credited as cowriters on the widely-thought-of-as-best-songs on a new BB album). It shouldn't matter. But alas, this isn't the case. And that's why the famous Jack Rieley quote about the band blowing it will always, sadly, hit the nail on the head. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:42:56 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »

If "No Pier Pressure" was a proper Beach Boys album, I'm sure it would have included "Run, James, Run" (being a car song), "Pisces Brothers" and "Danny Boy." I think it's obvious the idea of recording "DB" was conceived with the Boys in mind.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16:45 AM »

Very likely the track list would be different if NPP was a BB album instead of a BW album. But Mike doesn't have the power to deny Brian any song he wants on a BB album. Brian has the power to deny Al any song he'd like on the album, however.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2015, 11:20:25 AM »

Very likely the track list would be different if NPP was a BB album instead of a BW album. But Mike doesn't have the power to deny Brian any song he wants on a BB album. Brian has the power to deny Al any song he'd like on the album, however.
Yes indeed! That is also the difference between a "Produced by The Beach Boys" album and a "Produced by Brian Wilson" album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2015, 02:23:50 PM »

If you had Mike Love in a room alone with Brian, the way he wanted it to be, you might not have a song like Summer's Gone even existing whatsoever. (Yes I know the song was written with Bon Jovi + Joe Thomas at an earlier time, but I'm using it as a similar example). Mike was gonna make a stink about sad songs (even just a little stink can have consequences), and present opinionated roadblocks which might have stopped the best songs from being written or released. Sometimes sad songs don't need a touch of sunshine and happiness. Sometimes they are better without. I know people in bands are "allowed" to express their opinions, but let's face it - Brian isn't a typical guy from an emotional standpoint.

Brian hates hates hates confrontation, this has pretty been much established from decades of examples, right? Is that even arguable? Why does Mike, who as time evolved, clearly has had more creative differences with Brian than anyone else in the band over the years, think that it would make sense to anyone else (but Mike himself) to want to put Brian in the position of having to potentially confront these difficult differences all on his own?  I don't understand how sympathy is expected by Mike for his plight. Brian's desire to create deeper, sadder, outside-the-safety-zone songs, in the manner that he wants to make them, was never going to truly fly with the Brian/Mike alone in a room scenario. Caroline, Yes anyone?

I don't doubt that Brian/Mike could have written some cool tunes together, but (insert sarcasm here) heaven forbid that a song or two, overwhelmingly thought of as the best songs on a latter-day BB album, should have lyrics written by someone other than Mike. In a dream world, that should be a total non-issue to Mike (as I'm sure it would be a non-issue to Al and David if they themselves weren't credited as cowriters on the widely-thought-of-as-best-songs on a new BB album). It shouldn't matter. But alas, this isn't the case. And that's why the famous Jack Rieley quote about the band blowing it will always, sadly, hit the nail on the head. 
I'm not sure that Mike is totally adverse to writing melancholic, introspective lyrics. He did write the lyrics to Warmth of the Sun, after all.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »

I'm not sure what the concern is all about regarding Mike ever writing with Brian again. I think the situation that Brian is in now is much more comfortable for him. It's  not like Mike is Cole Porter. I personally could give a rip whether they ever collaborate  again.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »

I'm not sure what the concern is all about regarding Mike ever writing with Brian again. I think the situation that Brian is in now is much more comfortable for him. It's  not like Mike is Cole Porter. I personally could give a rip whether they ever collaborate  again.

I'm just speaking for myself, but I think it might be to most people that it's not so much that they want Brian and Mike to write together again. It's that they would like to see The Beach Boys reunited and it seems that the only way Mike will reunite is if Brian sits in a room with him and writes new surfin' songs. So I guess if I had  to deal with a few shitty new Brian 'n Mike songs to have the group back together then it'd be okay. I personally get the feeling though that even if Brian said he would get in a room with Mike and write, the goalposts would be moved. I get the feeling that Mike wants to do The Beach Boys thing his way, and really the only way he'd want Brian back is if Brian just joined his group. Which ain't happening.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »

I'd rather get an album completely full of beautiful Brian Wilson tunes than an album sporadically peppered with uninspired, forced Brian and Mike collaborations. I could care less if Mike or Bruce ever sing with Brian and the guys again.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see what Mike and Brian could churn out. But it appears that Brian doesn't want it to happen, I'm sure he has his reasons. Bruce sounded great on TWGMTR album, and Mike still adds a lot to the mix. But If it comes down to Brian having to compromise his vision for an album just for some extra vocals, I'd rather Brian just fly solo.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »

I agree that I'd be interested in seeing whether a Brian and Mike songwriting session might catch lightning in a bottle.  If they got together and the lyrical result was something other than call-backs to older Beach Boys hits and retreads of the same couple of themes?  If instead, something a little less lyrically 'gimmicky' -- something maybe a little more poetic -- were the outcome?  Outstanding!  Mike has produced any number of fantastic lyrics, and I'd like to think he still has it in him.

But I don't know if that's what Love cares to write these days.  And if that is the case, I suppose my 'best-case' scenario for another Beach Boys album mostly looks like this: Brian producing his own compositions (the more of them in the vein of the 'Life Suite' numbers from TWGMTR, the better), with Mike lending not so much his lyrical talents, but his iconic voice.

Give me an album's-worth of performances featuring the voices of the surviving 'Boys singing all over Brian Wilson's written and produced songs.  Take that, slap a 'The Beach Boys' logo on the cover, and then announce a Summer Tour!   Cool Guy

Logistics?  Sit down over a cheese pizza and hammer it out.

It all sounds so simple, eh?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:31:43 PM by R. Smith » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »

Exactly rab! Let The Beach Boys end the way BW originally intended it...With "Summer's Gone" on the album, and those live performances in London of it. The perfect place to end a documentary or book on them.

Remember when Mike mimed a gun to his listening to playbacks of it? Turns out he was kinda right and the bullet killed his bar band version of the Beach Boys stone dead and ended the story with a bit of class. Nice to hear live too, isn't it? It'd be nice to get a RAH release one day.

I can wait for that, because NPP is going to be terrific and transcendental nasal bleating doesn't really fit any of the songs... there isn't a "Desert Drive" and Mike would sound like King of the Dickweeds on  "Runaway Dancer"... or what, doing his tender Daybreak Over the Adrian Baker Ocean voice on "The Right Time." Yuck. There are plenty of Beach Boys on there that will actually fit the songs. I'm glad I got to see a few C50 shows but I think Brian is gonna knock out of the park with this one. A grand slam instead of a bunt.

I don't think Mike Love has any good lyrics left in him. He wrote some fun rhymes half a century ago but hasn't exactly gone down as a legendary lyricist on the level of a Randy Newman, Bob Dylan, or that Paul McCartney he's always comparing himself to. When was the last time you saw some sensitive, successful singer songwriter type earnestly citing Mike Love as a huge influence on his lyrics. If so, he probably that other guy with the beard with the same name that gets more hits on google.

He's welcome to prove otherwise on Summer in Paradise 2, but until then there's probably a reason Mr. Wilson cited VDP as his favorite collaborator and not "Cousin Mike." I admit! That one is possibly a  reunion i'm keen on.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:43:05 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »

Exactly rab! Let The Beach Boys end the way BW originally intended it...With "Summer's Gone" on the album, and those live performances in London of it. The perfect place to end a documentary or book on them.

Remember when Mike mimed a gun to his listening to playbacks of it? Turns out he was kinda right and the bullet killed his bar band version of the Beach Boys stone dead and ended the story with a bit of class.  

If the gun miming incident happened in public, I can imagine that in a private one-on-one "room" scenario, you'd have more of the same, or worse, when creative differences were to almost certainly arise. Does anyone doubt this? Is this off-base?  One could generously call that dry humor, or IMO more accurately call it straight up uncool.  It's mocking, straight up, and it ain't a healthy communication style to say the least, especially with a person who is very, very well known for being sensitive on the receiving end. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:47:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »

Remember when Mike mimed a gun to his listening to playbacks of it? Turns out he was kinda right and the bullet killed his bar band version of the Beach Boys stone dead and ended the story with a bit of class. Nice to hear live too, isn't it? It'd be nice to get a RAH release one day.

I can wait for that, because NPP is going to be terrific and transcendental nasal bleating doesn't really fit any of the songs... there isn't a "Desert Drive" and Mike would sound like King of the Dickweeds on  "Runaway Dancer"... or what, doing his tender Daybreak Over the Adrian Baker Ocean voice on "The Right Time." Yuck. There are plenty of Beach Boys on there that will actually fit the songs. I'm glad I got to see a few C50 shows but I think Brian is gonna knock out of the park with this one. A grand slam instead of a bunt.

I don't think Mike Love has any good lyrics left in him. He wrote some fun rhymes half a century ago but hasn't exactly gone down as a legendary lyricist on the level of a Randy Newman, Bob Dylan, or that Paul McCartney he's always comparing himself to. When was the last time you saw some sensitive, successful singer songwriter type earnestly citing Mike Love as a huge influence on his lyrics. If so, he probably that other guy with the beard with the same name that gets more hits on google.

He's welcome to prove otherwise on Summer in Paradise 2, but until then there's probably a reason Mr. Wilson cited VDP as his favorite collaborator and not "Cousin Mike." I admit! That one is possibly a  reunion i'm keen o
+10 Happy Dance Happy Dance  Are we to understand that NPP will not feature any, beloved bow, bow, bow bow's?? Shrug Speaking of citing the lovester's  unending, mind bending influence on all things music, has he guested on any recording in the last 40 years?? Please limit your lengthy lists to no more than 8 pages. By the way..,"transcendental Transcendental Meditation nasal bleating, bar band version of the Beach Boys-universally brilliant! w00t! w00t!  

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »

CD, in 8 years of stalking this board (and recently posting)  this may be the BEST post I've read.  Straight to the point and so brutally honest.  The thought of Mike having any input whatsoever into SG is comical.  The end of the song sadly is verbatim, in its own way, a corroboration of the Rieley quote. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2015, 10:40:38 PM »

Hey Andrew, still think Brian's new album is gonna suck? I remember you saying quite a bit that you weren't exactly hopeful due to the long gestation time.

Personally, I really dig "Our Special Love" and most of the track listing looks super interesting to me. The live cut of "Saturday Night" didn't really do much for me, but I'm hopeful.

Anyways, have you heard any of it, and what's your general opinion sir?

Changed my mind. I think it might well be a lot better than many of us were anticipating.

Speaking of "Saturday Night"... is it just me or does it sound really familiar ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
icehouse
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:42 AM »

Ahhh Andrew, now you are just being cruel to be kind  Wink
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2015, 01:22:44 AM »

Hey Andrew, still think Brian's new album is gonna suck? I remember you saying quite a bit that you weren't exactly hopeful due to the long gestation time.

Personally, I really dig "Our Special Love" and most of the track listing looks super interesting to me. The live cut of "Saturday Night" didn't really do much for me, but I'm hopeful.

Changed my mind. I think it might well be a lot better than many of us were anticipating.

Speaking of "Saturday Night"... is it just me or does it sound really familiar ?
Yes it does now you mention it.
Now going to be bugging me all day.... !
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2015, 04:32:51 AM »

Ahhh Andrew, now you are just being cruel to be kind  Wink

He doesn't get all the sccops y'know - It's actually a  cover of a 90s composition by art-house industrial/noise-pop pioneer 'Whigfield'. I'm particularly stoked about this one as it's a chance for Brian to flex his avant-garde chops again.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2015, 06:16:28 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18540.msg489251.html#msg489251

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »

I'd rather get an album completely full of beautiful Brian Wilson tunes than an album sporadically peppered with uninspired, forced Brian and Mike collaborations.

I'd prefer an album sporadically peppered with uninspired, forced Brian and Mike collaborations to an album sporadically peppered with uninspired, forced duets with guest vocalists like GIOMH was. After TLOS and TWGMTR my hopes are high for NPP, though.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx