gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:19:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The SMiLE Bootlegs Thread  (Read 5851 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »

On the heels of a previously successful thread that evolved into a comprehensive list of Beach Boys vinyl bootlegs, here is another list of bootlegs, specifically SMiLE bootlegs, compiled by Barnyard2 and myself. You are very welcome to make suggestions for additions and edits/corrections. I've included the list of what we already have for vinyl, and will now concentrate on SMiLE CD's. Information on a few tapes has also been added for reference and collector's history sake.

You are strongly encouraged to purchase "The Smile Sessions" by The Beach Boys, which was released in November, 2011.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smile_Sessions

And:

"Brian Wilson Presents Smile", released September, 2004.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wilson_Presents_Smile

SMiLE Bootlegs, Vinyl

SMiLE (Brother Records ST 2580) (1983) Insert w/James Watt.
SMiLE (Brother Records ST 2580) - Second Edition (1985) Insert w/Nancy Raygun.
SMiLE (Brother Records) 2 LP's - LP-1 (blank black label) "Smile A", "Smile B" etched in run-out grooves, LP-2 (blank white label), "Smile C", "Smile "D" etched in run-out grooves. 4-page insert about Smile.
SMiLE (Vigotone ST-9002) 3 LP's - 2 variations - 1. Red, Blue, Green colored vinyl, poster, session sheets (some copies have printing on yellow labels, others have blank white labels). 2. Blue, Green, Yellow colored vinyl, poster, session sheets.
SMiLE (Brother Records ST-9002) 3 LP's - Pink Marble, Purple Marble, Blue Marble colored vinyl, blank white labels, session sheets. Ltd. - Hand-numbered labels.
SMiLE (Sea Of Tunes LP001) (2003) - 180 gram vinyl, watermarked on back cover. Also re-booted, Black, Red, Blue, Green vinyl.
SMiLE (Surfin' Records LP001 #1971) - White label, red print. Grey Marble, possible more colors. Re-booted from Sea Of Tunes LP001.
SMiLE booklet - 12 page photo booklet originally intended for issue with aborted 'SMiLE' LP release. 9½" x 10" (1992). Limited Edition 1,000 copies.

SMiLE Bootlegs, CD's, Tapes

Smile - The "Priess tape".
Smile - Mark Linett SMiLE cassette
The SMILE Era Outtakes (Quality Compact Productions (QCP 67001)
SMILE (T 2580-2) [sourced from the "Linett tape"]
The Beach Boys Smile - The Early Years - (SPA02-CD 3317)
The Beach Boys Smile (Sphinx SX CD 008)
SMILE (Bits And Pieces) (GEMA T 2580-2/3) (2-CD’s)
Alive and Smiling (Sphinx SX CD 010)
Good Vibrations: Smile (Sphinx SX CD 011)
The Alternative Smile Collection (Smile 9212)
Brian Wilson - Smile (Chapter One Digital Recordings CO 25145)
Good Vibrations - Smile (Luna Records LU 9207)
SMiLE (Dave Prokopy) 2-tape set
Rockin' Rarities (GEMA HB 002)
Smile (Vigotone Vigo-110/111) (2-CD's)
Long Lost Surf Songs Vol. 2 (Silver Rarities SIRA 150)
SMiLE (Dave Prokopy) 3-tape set
Heroes And Vibrations (Vigotone VT-163)
Smile (Wilson records BB 001) (in LP replica sleeve)
SMILE (Magik Unikorn Music)
SMILE and SMILEY (SMI-MAI)
Rarities Vol. 1 (Dumb Angel DA-002)
Good Vibrations (Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 15 - Sea of Tunes C9946/47/48) (3-CD)
Smile (Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 16 - Sea of Tunes C9949)
Smile Sessions (Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 - Sea of Tunes C9950/51/52) (3-CD)
Heroes And Villains Sessions Parts 1 & 2 (Wilson Records Surf 001)
SMILE (Millenium Edition) (Dumb Angel Records DAR-001)
Archaeology (Picaresque Records PIC-0001/2/3) (3-CD)
Project SMiLE (CD-ROM)
Make A SMiLE (BBS 1971)
Smile (BB5-528)
SMiLE (Odeon ST-9002)
SMiLE (MOJO Version)
Secret SMiLE
Smile - A Reconstruction (Purple Chick PC-66)
SMiLE Sessions - The Sea Of Tunes Source Tape (CMYK 1971-103)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:59:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:57:39 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to compile this.  Cool Guy

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »

Sure. Do you have anything to add, Mujan? Something from your collection not listed here?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »

Sure. Do you have anything to add, Mujan? Something from your collection not listed here?

I have a couple bootlegs and fan mixes I've downloaded, but mostly over YouTube and I didn't have the foresight to label them properly. So, they're listed on my computer as "SMiLE#1","SMiLE#2", etc.

Ah well.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 07:06:55 PM »

Not sure of what year, but I have an old trade CDR of SMiLE - the Smile Research Labs version - SRL-001. I think it was first released maybe 1989 or 1990. Bit of a forerunner to the Sea of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters Vol 16 in some ways.

Anyone know the exact year it came out?
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »

Second Edition was my gateway drug into the Beach Boys! I think it was summer of '85. Made my whole year.

I also used to have the wonderful 3-LP vinyl set that came with the poster. Sadly, someone that used to be on the board here swindled it out of me--if you're still on here, punk, you still owe me $25!

Perhaps an interesting addendum to the list might be a list of all the live boots from Brian's SMiLE tour. I recall only about 4 or 5--hoping there are more (especially Disney Concert Hall and Hollywood Bowl, both of which I saw...)
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »

SMiLE Bootlegs, Vinyl

SMiLE (Brother Records ST 2580) (1983) Insert w/James Watt.
SMiLE (Brother Records ST 2580) - Second Edition (1985) Insert w/Nancy Raygun.

SMiLE (Brother Records ST-9002) 3 LP's - Pink Marble, Purple Marble, Blue Marble colored vinyl, blank white labels, session sheets. Ltd. - Hand-numbered labels.
SMiLE (Sea Of Tunes LP001) (2003) - 180 gram vinyl, watermarked on back cover. Also re-booted, Black, Red, Blue, Green vinyl.
SMiLE (Surfin' Records LP001 #1971) - White label, red print. Grey Marble, possible more colors. Re-booted from Sea Of Tunes LP001.
SMiLE booklet - 12 page photo booklet originally intended for issue with aborted 'SMiLE' LP release. 9½" x 10" (1992). Limited Edition 1,000 copies.

Looking for any of the above if anyone can help?

Below is what I have been able to find but these things don't seem to be commonly for sale as far as I can tell?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:20:17 PM by UEF » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »

I thought I owned every vinyl SMiLE bootleg there ever was. Now I think I have them all, only if the clones of other releases are excluded!  Undecided
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:23:49 PM by thetojo » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 01:53:00 PM »

It's amazing how bad the image quality of the Smile shop cover was on various vinyl and CD boots.  It's almost like they weren't ever trying to get the colors right.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »

There's a copy of the Vigotone 3-colour LP on eBay currently if anyone's looking
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx