gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:05:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: Q&A request  (Read 21375 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2015, 08:37:11 AM »

For several years (1963-65), Mike ranked with people like Eddie Holland and Gerry Goffin as one of the best lyricists in teen-oriented pop. That's a legacy that he is rightly proud of, and a legacy that I should think Beach Boy fans would appreciate.

A Mike Love Q&A would be very cool, and an honor for the board.

I agree.  Sometimes It seems like the board can honor any other lyricist's contribution except Mike's. Maybe it is just me.

That's probably largely because he keeps very specifically asking to be acknowledged, or implying such. Time and time again. I GET that he would have a chip on his shoulder from being screwed out of songwriting credits from the early days. That's human nature. But it's human nature just the same it to want to roll your eyes at somebody who continually reminds the world of THEIR OWN accomplishments. Another case in point: Billy Corgan. He too is a laughingstock because he keeps asking for praise and interviews. Both men fail to realize that one only gets praise when one is modest and, to be frank, shuts up about it.
Rock! High Five Thumbs Up Thumbs Up w00t! w00t! Bow Happy Dance Happy Dance

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »

So he deserves credit but he won't get it because he thinks he deserves it, which he does.  I'm not going to mention that he went some 30 years without asking for credit on many songs. Whoops. (blush)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »

So he deserves credit but he won't get it because he thinks he deserves it, which he does.  I'm not going to mention that he went some 30 years without asking for credit on many songs. Whoops. (blush)

Mike deserves credit. Absolutely. It's not that he won't get it because he *thinks* he deserves it, but because he has made it obvious for a long while via things he's said in interviews that he thinks he deserves it. He has outwardly expressed it, repeatedly. That's specifically what breaks the rules, so to speak. There's an unspoken rule, and I can't tell you who made the rule, but it's essentially a rule of common sense that it doesn't go over well with others (self-defeats the goal of the person) for the person who wants praise for an artistic work to continually make that known themselves. And humans, due to human nature, largely, generally abide by this rule. People who violate this don't do themselves any favors. Like it or not, that's how it works.

Cam, I defy you to show me an example of an ALREADY successful and rich artist who has continually, repeatedly themselves voiced publicly, either specifically or in a vaguely roundabout way, that they want more credit/praise than they have been given... and how that situation has manifested into anything magically good, and righted historical "wrongs", so to speak. Maybe some fans are newly educated, but ultimately it creates more disdain for the artist. It just doesn't work. Amiright or Amiright?

Human nature has repeatedly shown that other people DON'T respond well to hearing that, most especially from someone who has already had success beyond 99.999% of everyone's wildest dreams. It just rubs people the wrong way, regardless of if there's an element of truth to the underlying sentiment. And regarding the 30 years without asking credit - no denying that it was grossly unfair. Absolutely.  I'm sure the resentment leaked out though, in untold ways, during those 30 years, as well as beyond...and I can totally understand and empathize with that too, but let's not deny that surely many regrettable actions from the wronged party himself may have manifested as a result. But please know - I want Mike to have the credit he deserves too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:42:51 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

What do you mean?? It took him 30 years to find a lawyer who would look at the case LOL. Remember too that he was tied up getting hitched and unhitched every couple of years which  contributed to burning through the money-oops! As usual, Brian was myKe's only cash cow and went after him being the greedy soul he was/is with even greedier lawyers. Hey myKe! When is your next lawsuit with Brian gonna be, huh???   Shocked not.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »

So he deserves credit but he won't get it because he thinks he deserves it, which he does.  I'm not going to mention that he went some 30 years without asking for credit on many songs. Whoops. (blush)

Mike deserves credit. Absolutely. It's not that he won't get it because he *thinks* he deserves it, but because he has made it obvious for a long while via things he's said in interviews that he thinks he deserves it. He has outwardly expressed it, repeatedly. That's specifically what breaks the rules, so to speak. There's an unspoken rule, and I can't tell you who made the rule, but it's essentially a rule of common sense that it doesn't go over well with others (self-defeats the goal of the person) for the person who wants praise for an artistic work to continually make that known themselves. And humans, due to human nature, largely, generally abide by this rule. People who violate this don't do themselves any favors. Like it or not, that's how it works.

Cam, I defy you to show me an example of an ALREADY successful and rich artist who has continually, repeatedly themselves voiced publicly, either specifically or in a vaguely roundabout way, that they want more credit/praise than they have been given... and how that situation has manifested into anything magically good, and righted historical "wrongs", so to speak. Maybe some fans are newly educated, but ultimately it creates more disdain for the artist. It just doesn't work. Amiright or Amiright?

Human nature has repeatedly shown that other people DON'T respond well to hearing that, most especially from someone who has already had success beyond 99.999% of everyone's wildest dreams. It just rubs people the wrong way, regardless of if there's an element of truth to the underlying sentiment. And regarding the 30 years without asking credit - no denying that it was grossly unfair. Absolutely.  I'm sure the resentment leaked out though, in untold ways, during those 30 years, as well as beyond...and I can totally understand and empathize with that too, but let's not deny that surely many regrettable actions from the wronged party himself may have manifested as a result. But please know - I want Mike to have the credit he deserves too.

I don't think anyone will deny that Mike wrote good lyrics to some of the band's most successful songs. And, I think everyone would agree that he should get the credit he deserves for his contributions, as a lyricist, as the lead singer of many of those hits, and as the guy who kept the touring band running for the last 15 plus years.

The problem comes in when Mike makes that the main point of his interviews and when he repeats the same talking points that are designed to build himself up, even at the expense of others: The Wilson's did drugs, I didn't. I wrote Kokomo without Brian (but with about 3 other people, who rarely get mentioned),  Brian's "controlled," I didn't get the credit I deserved,  The Beatles and "Back in the USSR", set end date, etc, etc, etc…

Unfortunately, when someone spends that much time tooting their own horn, people dismiss the whole message, including the things that should legitimately be considered in his favor. Mike would actually improve his credibility if he didn't try so hard.

On topic, though. I don't see a Q & A with Mike yielding any more tantalizing information than the Brian session. It's just not the format for deep revelations.  It could be fun, sure. And Mike's answers will certainly be a bit longer. But, we'll probably get the same bits about the "cumulus nimbus," "Positivity," "alliteration,"  and the importance of meditation. I would be shocked if Mike chose this format to give us a well thought out analysis of what went wrong during the SMiLE sessions.  He'll be saving that bit for his book.

I could be wrong, though. Stranger things have happened.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:24:25 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »

I don't see a Q & A with Mike yielding any more tantalizing information than the Brian session. It's just not the format for deep revelations.  It could be fun, sure. And Mike's answers will certainly be a bit longer. But, we'll probably get the same bits about the "cumulus nimbus," "Positivity," "alliteration,"  and the importance of meditation. I would be shocked if Mike chose this format to give us a well thought out analysis of what went wrong during the SMiLE sessions.  He'll be saving that bit for his book.

So far...Mike has stuck to a kind of set of talking points...whether it be back 15 years ago...or this past November when I saw him deliver a guest speaker presentation for the Rotary Club in Chatham Ontario.  2 of us from one of the 'local' radio stations 'manned' the mics and later led the Q and A session when the formal 'speech' was done.  [Yes...He gives speeches. Wink]  I think, and I've said it here before, that Mike really needs a PR firm to sit down with him, go over the FACTS, devise a 'way' of telling his TRUTHFUL story, and drop the perceived swagger, the misinformation and the recreated myths and mistruths.  It could and likely would quickly enhance his image.  It would make him a REAL 'go-to' guy for Q and A's and it would set him up for speaking engagements long after the original [versioned] Beach Boys have ceased to tour.  I see that time approaching.  I think he'd still enjoy getting out on the road, still be an appreciated centre of attention, still make some decent extra income and stiil be a Beach Boy.

The whole presentation needs to be up-graded though.  It's just not done well...or presented professionally.  It's a bit of a disappointment.  No wait.  It's a LOT of a disappointment.  REAL fans would come away feeling that they'd attended a half-assed representation.  Mike is capable of SO much more but he needs someone with some KNOW-HOW to set it up...starting with the PR people.  As it stands now?  I doubt he'd be able to deliver anywhere near what the expectations would be here at SS  for a Mike Love Q and A.  He's NOT prepped properly to do it.  [And we all know that the 'Party' album wasn't really what they 'said' it was...geez Mike...why would you keep THAT myth afloat?  Credibility man.  Credibility.  It's important.]

Brian's visit was pretty much predictable.  He delivered exactly as he has in the past...dating back at least a dozen years.  It's how he rolls.

Mike's book?  [checking to see where Andrew is...] The content better be entirely different than what it is he delivers in person at THIS point in time [November 9, 2014]  or it'll be REALLY boring to read.  Like...I couldn't put it down.  Why?  Because it kept putting itself down...everytime it slipped out of my hands as I passed out while trying to read it.  

Mike just needs some assistance.  He's a veteran showman.  Put together a show.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:14:03 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »

Mike does a lot of local press to push the shows, and I'm betting he's asked the same old questions over and over and over again. Here, he'd be challenged: he reads this place, he knows what we do and (unfortunately, sometimes) how we do it and he knows we know our stuff. I think it would be an interesting exercise. Lot of folk here might not like the answers he could give. Let's hope we get the chance.

Huh, Mike ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »

I would love to see Mike Love give a meaty interview but can't see it happening before the book comes out.  Isn't that what the publisher has paid the advance for, the juicy, interesting things that people haven't heard before?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »

Mike does a lot of local press to push the shows, and I'm betting he's asked the same old questions over and over and over again. Here, he'd be challenged: he reads this place, he knows what we do and (unfortunately, sometimes) how we do it and he knows we know our stuff. I think it would be an interesting exercise. Lot of folk here might not like the answers he could give. Let's hope we get the chance.

Huh, Mike ?  Grin

Good points; but given the op, would he choose the tough questions or slide off into lalaland ala Brian and let us know his favorite pizza?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »

I think if he was asked about topics like his spriitual beliefs, his love of touring, his love for his family - including cousins - his take on the band's legacy, etc, rather than potential downers we might get some good stuff back in return. Alt, fire questions about royalties, acceptance of Pet Sounds and Smile, C50 blame and other old chestnuts and we'd get long-practised, oft-repeated answers.

“We live in divisive times.”
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »

I don't see a Q & A with Mike yielding any more tantalizing information than the Brian session. It's just not the format for deep revelations.  It could be fun, sure. And Mike's answers will certainly be a bit longer. But, we'll probably get the same bits about the "cumulus nimbus," "Positivity," "alliteration,"  and the importance of meditation. I would be shocked if Mike chose this format to give us a well thought out analysis of what went wrong during the SMiLE sessions.  He'll be saving that bit for his book.

So far...Mike has stuck to a kind of set of talking points...whether it be back 15 years ago...or this past November when I saw him deliver a guest speaker presentation for the Rotary Club in Chatham Ontario.  2 of us from one of the 'local' radio stations 'manned' the mics and later led the Q and A session when the formal 'speech' was done.  [Yes...He gives speeches. Wink]  I think, and I've said it here before, that Mike really needs a PR firm to sit down with him, go over the FACTS, devise a 'way' of telling his TRUTHFUL story, and drop the perceived swagger, the misinformation and the recreated myths and mistruths.  It could and likely would quickly enhance his image.  It would make him a REAL 'go-to' guy for Q and A's and it would set him up for speaking engagements long after the original [versioned] Beach Boys have ceased to tour.  I see that time approaching.  I think he'd still enjoy getting out on the road, still be an appreciated centre of attention, still make some decent extra income and stiil be a Beach Boy.

The whole presentation needs to be up-graded though.  It's just not done well...or presented professionally.  It's a bit of a disappointment.  No wait.  It's a LOT of a disappointment.  REAL fans would come away feeling that they'd attended a half-assed representation.  Mike is capable of SO much more but he needs someone with some KNOW-HOW to set it up...starting with the PR people.  As it stands now?  I doubt he'd be able to deliver anywhere near what the expectations would be here at SS  for a Mike Love Q and A.  He's NOT prepped properly to do it.  [And we all know that the 'Party' album wasn't really what they 'said' it was...geez Mike...why would you keep THAT myth afloat?  Credibility man.  Credibility.  It's important.]

Brian's visit was pretty much predictable.  He delivered exactly as he has in the past...dating back at least a dozen years.  It's how he rolls.

Mike's book?  [checking to see where Andrew is...] The content better be entirely different than what it is he delivers in person at THIS point in time [November 9, 2014]  or it'll be REALLY boring to read.  Like...I couldn't put it down.  Why?  Because it kept putting itself down...everytime it slipped out of my hands as I passed out while trying to read it.  

Mike just needs some assistance.  He's a veteran showman.  Put together a show.

Interesting take on it Add Some,  I think you might be spot on in regards to PR and how he comes across.  Get your point of view across effectively, honestly and professionally before father time catches up with you! Wink
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »

I agree with Add Some and CenturyDeprived. Mike has much to be proud of. But he really does himself no favors constantly praising himself and getting in (often irrelevant/unasked-for) jabs at Brian.

I understand completely why people don't like him. All the same, it'd be worth it to at least hear him out. At the very least, I'm positive it'd be way more interesting than Brian's Q&A.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »

I would say if one has a problem with another taking due credit the problem is their own.

It does sound like we all agree that Mike deserves his status of as among the very best lyricist of Popular Music. Even if he hadn't co-written so many iconic hits,  his authorship of the almost universally  revered Good Vibrations alone earns him that surely.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:40:43 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »

I would say if one has a problem with another taking due credit the problem is their own.

It does sound like we all agree that Mike deserves his status of as among of the very best lyricist of Popular Music. Even if he hadn't co-written so many iconic hits,  his authorship of the almost universally  revered Good Vibrations alone earns him that surely.

You're missing the point. It's not that he doesn't deserve credit. He absolutely does. But like Century and Add Some said, it's a very big turn off to people when someone constantly sings their own praises. It just rubs people the wrong way. That's a fact. Yes, he deserves praise for writing some good songs on his own and the lyrics to all the hits. But...if he just stopped reminding us of that all the time, it'd give someone else a chance to say it about him. Y'know?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »

After all that's been written, I'm not surprised in some ways but why the need to continue to post cheap shots and criticisms of last week's Q&A? Read this thread, the whole thing: What possible purpose do any of the attempts to knock something down serve? I'm sick of reading it. If someone didn't like it, fine - No reason at this point to keep hammering the point into the ground. I can't understand in any way the need to take these kind of cheap and unnecessary shots, they're not convincing the majority who participated and enjoyed it that they should not have enjoyed or appreciated it, or whatever the need to post this stuff might still be a week later.

We know, we get it, there was a small group who posted how lame it would be before before a single answer actually got posted, so their enjoyment of it wasn't going to happen no matter what actually happened.

Great way to keep the doors open, great way to try to keep things positive for a change around here. End it, please, a week of this stuff from some of the same minority of posters who were critical before it even happened is too much. Unreal.  Roll Eyes

And that small group of you think posting and repeating this negative and critical vibe before, during, and after the only event we've hosted so far is the best way to create a welcoming vibe to inspire more honored guests to drop in to chat?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »

I'm saying I think taking issue with someone taking due credit is just a personal prejudice.

Anyway, I hope all of the Boys take a crack at the Q&A. I hope the Mods are actively pursuing it and bless them for all of their hard work.

David (and Carrie) would be good place to start imo.

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »

I agree with Add Some and CenturyDeprived. Mike has much to be proud of. But he really does himself no favors constantly praising himself and getting in (often irrelevant/unasked-for) jabs at Brian.

I understand completely why people don't like him. All the same, it'd be worth it to at least hear him out. At the very least, I'm positive it'd be way more interesting than Brian's Q&A.
Mike is 73. How long does he have to wait before the music press, critics, and fans notice that during 1963-65 his lyric-writing was as inventive and as memorable as the more celebrated "Brill Building" lyricists of the period -- people like Gerry Goffin, Cynthia Weil, Jeff Barry?

And I for one found Brian's Q&A plenty interesting for what it was intended to be -- an informative if brief chat with some knowledgable fans. It's an exciting time to be a smiley smile board member, not to be taken for granted.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2015, 09:35:13 PM »

Mike is 73. How long does he have to wait before the music press, critics, and fans notice that during 1963-65 his lyric-writing was as inventive and as memorable as the more celebrated "Brill Building" lyricists of the period -- people like Gerry Goffin, Cynthia Weil, Jeff Barry?

And I for one found Brian's Q&A plenty interesting for what it was intended to be -- an informative if brief chat with some knowledgable fans. It's an exciting time to be a smiley smile board member, not to be taken for granted.

He probably wouldn't have had to wait so long if he didn't keep pushing it on people. I think you're laboring under the delusion that life is fair--it's not. Most great artists aren't appreciated until after they're dead. It took a long time for even Pet Sounds to reach its legendary status. Probably would have taken longer if Brian spent every interview bragging about it. At least, he'd be perceived much more negatively if he did so. That's really just the way it is. IIt'some reason why so many dislike Mike. Not sure why this is so hard to acknowledge.

Cool. I respectfully disagree, but also concede I probably expected too much.

Guitarfool, respectfully, I have to disagree with you. I'm not trying to change the minds of people who really enjoyed the Q&A. I went out of my way to express how grateful I was for what you mods must have done to make it happen on numerous occasions and conceded I was probably too overzealous in expressing my not-completely-positive opinion about it before. But I don't see how saying a Mike Q&A would probably be more interesting/revealing than the Brian one was should be taken as such an affront. It's just my opinion. While I was a bit disappointed with the Brian Q&A, I'm not trying to sh!t on it by expressing that opinion. And for the record, I was actually really excited about the Brian Q&A. If you're not addressing me, then my apologies. But I get the feeling you are, so I want to clear the air if that's the case.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2015, 11:52:37 PM »

Agreed on all points.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »

I'm saying I think taking issue with someone taking due credit is just a personal prejudice.

Still, modesty is widely appreciated. I'm not that bothered by Mike's boasting either, but I can see that it's not helpful for his public image.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2015, 02:33:35 AM »

It's easy to demand modesty from the others and uncompromisingly pass judgement on people like we do. We're constantly behaving like moral judges of the attitudes of others, affecting outrage at other people's actions as if we never did the things we chastize (or worse). I've been around long enough to realize that this anti-Mike Love thing will not fade. Even some of the most thoughtful fans, when it comes to him, go "great lyrics and vocals, but let us not forget he did this and this". Or "he brings it upon his own", as if we were helpless about our own shitty judgement!!!! Can't there be a more sympathetic view, at least among knowledgeable fans like us? He's our friend through music; we don't have to remind him or us, constantly about his sins-- or what we percieve as such. That constant relativization, when on moral grounds, is useless and tiresome.

To remind all of us of Mike's wit and charm, let us watch this video:

http://youtu.be/0ZFuEh02tFw

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:34:37 AM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2015, 02:37:52 AM »

Brian Wilson is well known as the creative brains behind the Beach Boys.  He's got the reputation and doesn't need to worry.  Mike's probably concerned that, in the eyes of the public, he's still perceived as just one of the performing monkeys, the ones who didn't write the tunes in their heyday.  He wants to make sure folk know that he's more than that.  I can see his point, because I'm not sure how many of the non-hardcore fans, many of whom go to see the touring act, are really aware of what he did and probably think of him solely as a performer.  Besides, the rest of the world probably isn't noting how many times he mentions all this.  We're the only ones who actively look for his articles.  Someone might see him in a magazine, note what he did and assume he just said it once.  But yeah, he could go about wising people up in a different, more effective way and, like Add Some says, get some PR professionals to help him out. 

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx