gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:37:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: Q&A request  (Read 21379 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2015, 06:11:35 AM »

I thought appropiate to create a thread about his. There seems to be a growing request among forum members, triggered by the recent and successful experience with Brian, to have such a session with Mike. It would be beyond great if it can be worked out. And there's nothing to fear in the PR department as the moderators have shown recently. It is a win-win situation.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »

hey Mike! have you seen Return of the Jedi yet?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »

Yeah, would be great! His status on the board should read "Second-most honored guest", by the way. Grin
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »

Mike, is it OK to wear a white turban after Labor Day?
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »

A Mike Q&A would be a magnificent touch now Brian's done one. You never know.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »

I'd love to see a Mike Love Q&A. I don't think there's been anything quite like it on the internet. I'd love to ask him about the writing process for the Wild Honey album, his memories of the '70s recording sessions, etc. I think that most interviews with Mike skip out on some of the deeper stuff that the Smiley Smile member would be more inclined toward.

That said, I would hope that all posters would treat the man with respect.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »

Mike would give us fuller answers, too. He's not shy.
jonathan anderle
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:58 PM »

In looking through my dad's appointment book from 1967, there are mentions of Mike Love recording sessions with the Rivingtons on the 8th, 9th and 11th of March (there was a Beach Boys session on the 10th). I hadn't heard of those sessions before and couldn't find any information about them. I would definitely love to know more about that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:13:48 PM by jonathan anderle » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:59 PM »

In looking through my dad's appointment book from 1967, there are mentions of Mike Love recording sessions with the Rivingtons on the 8th, 9th and 11th of March (there was a Beach Boys session on the 10th). I hadn't heard of those sessions before and couldn't find any information about them. I would definitely love to know more about that.

Jonathan -

Now THAT must be a fascinating document - David Anderle's appointment book, circa 1967...wow.

I just finished reading Jac Holzman's (very interesting, highly recommended) book entitled Follow the Music, and your father is well represented and well spoken about his time at Elektra. Every word one hears about your dad speaks to his great integrity and brilliance. When I met him at the Smile taping, he could not have been kinder and more forthcoming. Brian was indeed very lucky to have him on his side.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »

Mike would give us fuller answers, too. He's not shy.

Will he tell us what his favorite pizza is?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:26:23 PM »

Your Dad's appointment book. That is fascinating. A wonderful family heirloom.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
jonathan anderle
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »

Thank you for the kind words, PS.  I was the tall, bald guy hanging with my pop and Van Dyke at the Smile taping not quite believing what was happening.

My pop kept all his appointment books from 1967 on. It's all incredibly meaningful, but yeah, the late '60s to early '70s ones are a bit out of control.

Now back to Mr. Love...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:37:09 PM by jonathan anderle » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »

I thought appropiate to create a thread about his. There seems to be a growing request among forum members, triggered by the recent and successful experience with Brian, to have such a session with Mike. It would be beyond great if it can be worked out. And there's nothing to fear in the PR department as the moderators have shown recently. It is a win-win situation.

I'd absolutely love this. I think it'd be even better than Brian's.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »

Mike would give us fuller answers, too.

Which would of course also mean fewer answers in the same amount of time. I hope the posters that don't get their question answered would keep that in mind and not get upset.

A ML Q&A would certainly be a much bigger challenge for the mods, I'm afraid.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »

Mike would give us fuller answers, too.

Which would of course also mean fewer answers in the same amount of time. I hope the posters that don't get their question answered would keep that in mind and not get upset.

A ML Q&A would certainly be a much bigger challenge for the mods, I'm afraid.

The time limit was imposed by Brian. With Mike, it'd be a non-issue. I'm sure he'd be more inclined to stay and set things straight, while for Brian even answering food questions is probably a chore.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:47:07 AM »

Would he do a Q&A on the blueboard immediately afterwards?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 01:41:23 AM »

If he was asked to, why not? Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »

Someone would need to filter out the aggressive and rude questions. I'd imagine the opportunity for some to heckle would be too great...

If it could be kept civil, i think Mike would be a great Q&A. He's certainly had an exciting life, and he probably remembers a lot of it.

I'd like someone to ask him what he thinks of the movie Norbit.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 06:55:23 AM »

Why limit this? Sure have a Mike Q&A, then invite Al, Dave, Blondie, Bruce, Ricky… let's not be selective folks!

“We live in divisive times.”
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »

I think Mike's answers would be way more complete and well done.

Brian's QAs are nice but we all know it's almost a waste to ask any question that would require a thought out answer.

Typical good question:  "Brian, what are your memories from the Wild Honey sessions?"

Answer: "Great songs. Carl sings 'Wild Honey' great!"

Mike's Answer:  "We decided to go with an R&B record in BB style.  We recorded out of Brian's house and I can remember having such a good time on 'A Thing or Two'. . ."
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »

I say have Mike answer the questions that Brian didn't answer.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »

Why limit this? Sure have a Mike Q&A, then invite Al, Dave, Blondie, Bruce, Ricky… let's not be selective folks!

Bruce would be a good possibility as he answered questions on Steve Hoffman's board (including mine on his original lyrics for Tears in the morning) a few years ago. He also was quite candid about the deficiencies of Going Public, his solo album.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »

I say have Mike answer the questions that Brian didn't answer.

He couldn't answer mine, nor many others there. I say we tailor our questions to him.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »

I think Mike's answers would be way more complete and well done.

Brian's QAs are nice but we all know it's almost a waste to ask any question that would require a thought out answer.

Typical good question:  "Brian, what are your memories from the Wild Honey sessions?"

Answer: "Great songs. Carl sings 'Wild Honey' great!"

Mike's Answer:  "We decided to go with an R&B record in BB style.  We recorded out of Brian's house and I can remember having such a good time on 'A Thing or Two'. . ."

Exactly. Brian is my favorite musician, a beautiful soul, and one of my personal idols. But he's also a lousy interview, and I'm sure he doesn't enjoy it either, so I feel like it's kind of a waste.

I'm sure Mike would love to set the record straight on a lot of things anyway. This would be a win-win.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »

A Mike Q&A would be fun. If it happens, hopefully we won't get questions about his pizza preferences or his favorite flavor of ice cream.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:47:29 PM by clinikillz » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx