gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:23:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Honoured Guests threads - best approach?  (Read 11789 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »

I bring it up obviously in light of the current Lorren Daro thread but also as I believe it's relevant since BW's q & a and also Mike Love admitting to reading the board.

My question/suggestion to the mods:

Should there be a rule that honoured guests are not hectored within their own Honoured Guest thread?

The Lorren Daro thread is continuously derailed by posters criticising him. The upshot is that the guy specnds more time defending himslef than he does answering questions. I'll be the first to admit I'm not helping, as I'm spending more time arguing in his defense than actually asking him worthy questions and therefore am as much to blame for derailing the thread.

I suppose my principle beef is why those that don't like Daro are even participating in the thread in the first place. IMO, If you wish to query his recollections of facts, do so politely. If you wish to query his moraility - again do so politely. If you simply cannot abide the guy and want to rant - start a thread elsewhere about it. Preferably the sandbox.

To help my argument I want to present this (not unlikely) scenario:

Mike Love registers on the board and is given his own Honoured Guest thread. From the get-go it is continually plagued by angry Smileysmilers accusing him of neutering Brian's creativity, bullying Brian, solely destroying Smile, being an a***hole to Dennis, getting his facts wrong etc. etc. Mike begins to open up and answers a few questions but has left by page 2 because of the poisonous atmosphere.

I suspect, if ML were to register he might be given a sort of 'safe zone', like Brian's Q & A where any negativity was not tolerated. I totally support the mods' set up for Brian's Q&A - I doubt he would have visited the board without this security. However, it raises questions of how much we value Honoured Guests' input and whether it's worth having stricter rules about how we communicate with them there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:56:45 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:09:07 AM »

You ARE BEING MANIPULATED AND TAKEN FOR A RIDE!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:11:59 AM »

I'll simply say that the guy has the title of 'Honored Guest' and that alone should be respected.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »

I believe your idea has merit for threads in which any of the principal BBs ( Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al) might come here and post/answer questions; presuming that they're not posting nonsense, I can see banning the negativity.

However, I don't believe the Daro thread is a good example for that. To the point, I don't think he should even be equated as an honored guest, but that's where the thread resides. He was there, yes, but seemingly not as an integral part, more as an observer. His recollections veer from one side to the other and while I can see the desire to take his word as grail, it just doesn't pan out that way. He spends so much time defending himself, because he's so full of contradictions
 The small errors, such as Revolver/Rubber Soul, are inconsequential; it's the rest that's the problem.
To my mind He's NOT a BB, just someone, however important you consider hm to be, that was >along for the ride<  I'd imagine everyone hoped he be a font of knowledge and insight  as to what was going on behind the scenes, but at least for me, it's been somewhaat less so. 
  I'd venture it would be as fair to suggest that those who want to follow him without any nipping should start their own baord, or take it to PM/Emails. Of course then you won't know if something you consider to be private will be shared with anyone.... 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:16:54 AM »

I bring it up obviously in light of the current Lorren Daro thread but also as I believe it's relevant since BW's q & a and also Mike Love admitting to reading the board.

My question/suggestion to the mods:

Should there be a rule that honoured guests are not hectored within their own Honoured Guest thread?

The Lorren Daro thread is continuously derailed by posters criticising him. The upshot is that the guy specnds more time defending himslef than he does answering questions. I'll be the first to admit I'm not helping, as I'm spending more time arguing in his defense than actually asking him worthy questions and therefore am as much to blame for derailing the thread.

I suppose my principle beef is why those that don't like Daro are even participating in the thread in the first place. IMO, If you wish to query his recollections of facts, do so politely. If you wish to query his moraility - again do so politely. If you simply cannot abide the guy and want to rant - start a thread elsewhere about it. Preferably the sandbox.

To help my argument I want to present this (not unlikely) scenario:

Mike Love registers on the board and is given his own Honoured Guest thread. From the get-go it is continually plagued by angry Smileysmilers accusing him of neutering Brian's creativity, bullying Brian, solely destroying Smile, being an a***hole to Dennis, getting his facts wrong etc. etc. Mike begins to open up and answers a few questions but has left by page 2 because of the poisonous atmosphere.

I suspect, if ML were to register he might be given a sort of 'safe zone', like Brian's Q & A where any negativity was not tolerated. I totally support the mods' set up for Brian's Q&A - I doubt he would have visited the board without this security. However, it raises questions of how much we value Honoured Guests' input and whether it's worth having stricter rules about how we communicate with them there.
Buddahat - I disagree.  First, fans become unnerved to know that harm was ever caused to Brian (whether construed as "fun" in the immediate, but whose "after effects" were calamitous) whose gift of music has enhanced the quality of life for us all and those well beyond us, ad infinitum.

Second, I look through a different lens, and perhaps see something different. I see a wife damaged, and children who were with that mom, "separated" intentionally by a third party.

Third, I see a band, cut off from a founder, damaged, too, and who, in good faith, kept a business going, during industry turmoil. Music moved and changed at warp speed. And they did so, by being very inventive, even touring in politically dangerous areas.  The "3M" position. And, that is hardly moralizing.  It is damage to "the product," as well, since it is a 'family-based' band. It also, apparently deprived the "product" of productivity, compromising contractual deadlines.

Fourth, these threads going back at least nine years, have been repeated and repeated and, buddahat, your position in my view, is one of "defending the indefensible."  While I applaud your tenacity, I strongly disagree with your position.  If one is attempting to "clear up a record" or "set things straight" it isn't a "clarification of events" that is required, but a "change in position" and that does not appear to be forthcoming. Damage control usually is accompanied by an apology.

It is apparent that the position is not going to change and thus makes this whole debate little more than a broken record. Pun intended.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:18:41 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:29:32 AM »

Buddhahat: Maybe if Daro himself weren't an aggressive kind of poster (remember the "f*** YOU ROCKY RACCON" post he made almost right off the bat?) it wouldn't have turned out the way it has. You've placed all the blame on the board members, and seemingly none on the guy who's first post called Marilyn a cow and Brian a pig. There were so many better ways for him to introduce himself to the board than the way he did.

And is pointing out the many historical inaccuracies and contradictions (any follow up post he makes could completely contradict the last claim he's made) considered hectoring?

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »

I'll simply say that the guy has the title of 'Honored Guest' and that alone should be respected.

His title is not Honored Guest, but Smiley Smile Associate.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »

Fair point; if only the thread wasn't parked in the Honored Guest section, it'd be easier to take.

SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »

Huh, you're right. I guess my mind just made the connection.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »

Huh, you're right. I guess my mind just made the connection.
Get on your smiley smile crime saga summary! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:32:59 AM »

I'd like to post a hypothetical scenario to consider along with this thread.

Let's say there were a Beach Boys convention type of event, just like the ones that have happened and which will happen in the future. At the convention, one of the scheduled events is a roundtable, forum type of discussion with a group of authors, historians, and other participants gathered on the stage, with a moderator. Names aren't important, but fill in whomever fans would assume would be there.

So the discussion starts rolling, maybe some fan questions are taken, whatever the case. One of the participants on stage makes a claim about a musician credit on one of the classic hits from 1964.

On that stage you have several researchers and historians who have personally researched that topic, up to and including seeing the actual session documents and hearing the actual session tapes of the song being mentioned in the claim. They *know* the facts of the story firsthand, they've both seen and heard the firsthand "proof" with their own ears and eyes, and possibly beyond that have done further research which is as airtight as could possibly be regarding what they know to be true.

On that same stage is someone who is now, at this roundtable discussion, stating something which can be proven not to be accurate, mind you not to be factual at all, yet implying it is factual by making such a claim at this kind of roundtable/convention event. One which fans and observers have come to see and expect to hear these facts from those who have studied these issues perhaps more than your average fan...or who have access to materials and information like session tapes and worksheets and documents beyond what the public can access.

What is the opinion among those here in this thread and on the board in general about what those fellow guests sitting on that stage in this roundtable event should do? Should they raise a voice to state their knowledge of this event, should they somehow suggest the information being offered isn't accurate from what they know and have seen firsthand, or should they remain silent and let the roundtable continue uninterrupted?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »

I'd like to post a hypothetical scenario to consider along with this thread.

Let's say there were a Beach Boys convention type of event, just like the ones that have happened and which will happen in the future. At the convention, one of the scheduled events is a roundtable, forum type of discussion with a group of authors, historians, and other participants gathered on the stage, with a moderator. Names aren't important, but fill in whomever fans would assume would be there.

So the discussion starts rolling, maybe some fan questions are taken, whatever the case. One of the participants on stage makes a claim about a musician credit on one of the classic hits from 1964.

On that stage you have several researchers and historians who have personally researched that topic, up to and including seeing the actual session documents and hearing the actual session tapes of the song being mentioned in the claim. They *know* the facts of the story firsthand, they've both seen and heard the firsthand "proof" with their own ears and eyes, and possibly beyond that have done further research which is as airtight as could possibly be regarding what they know to be true.

On that same stage is someone who is now, at this roundtable discussion, stating something which can be proven not to be accurate, mind you not to be factual at all, yet implying it is factual by making such a claim at this kind of roundtable/convention event. One which fans and observers have come to see and expect to hear these facts from those who have studied these issues perhaps more than your average fan...or who have access to materials and information like session tapes and worksheets and documents beyond what the public can access.

What is the opinion among those here in this thread and on the board in general about what those fellow guests sitting on that stage in this roundtable event should do? Should they raise a voice to state their knowledge of this event, should they somehow suggest the information being offered isn't accurate from what they know and have seen firsthand, or should they remain silent and let the roundtable continue uninterrupted?

In my opinion historian X should politely point out the error. If, instead, he aggressively suggests Insider Y is full of sh*t, or implies he can't be trusted because of his appearance, to the point that the debate turns into an incoherent row, then historian X should be asked to leave so the audience can at least hear the end of the anecdote and make up their own mind (hopefully with the help of the other historians who politely pointed out the inaccuracies).

But I'm obviously biased.

I appreciate, though, that the mods have an impossible task here sometimes and rules often create more problems than they allevaite.

I believe your idea has merit for threads in which any of the principal BBs ( Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al) might come here and post/answer questions; presuming that they're not posting nonsense, I can see banning the negativity.

However, I don't believe the Daro thread is a good example for that. To the point, I don't think he should even be equated as an honored guest, but that's where the thread resides. He was there, yes, but seemingly not as an integral part, more as an observer. His recollections veer from one side to the other and while I can see the desire to take his word as grail, it just doesn't pan out that way. He spends so much time defending himself, because he's so full of contradictions
 The small errors, such as Revolver/Rubber Soul, are inconsequential; it's the rest that's the problem.
To my mind He's NOT a BB, just someone, however important you consider hm to be, that was >along for the ride<  I'd imagine everyone hoped he be a font of knowledge and insight  as to what was going on behind the scenes, but at least for me, it's been somewhaat less so.  
  I'd venture it would be as fair to suggest that those who want to follow him without any nipping should start their own baord, or take it to PM/Emails. Of course then you won't know if something you consider to be private will be shared with anyone....  

Fair points. But what about someone like Van Dyke Parks? Or Marilyn Wilson? Would we tolerate sniping in their hypothetical Honoured Guest threads and, if not, where do we draw the line?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:48:26 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »

Not relative to anything specific, but hypothetically back to the roundtable at the imaginary convention event: How many inaccuracies would be the limit or threshold before a shadow of doubt is cast among those fans in the audience?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »

Not relative to anything specific, but hypothetically back to the roundtable at the imaginary convention event: How many inaccuracies would be the limit or threshold before a shadow of doubt is cast among those fans in the audience?

Do you mean at what point would it be feasible that the fans start booing Insider Y for the inaccuracies - would it acceptable for them to do so? At the end of the day, they're the audience after all.

Maybe you're not suggesting the above. My take is that if sufficient audience members are gaining from Insider Y's perspective, and new insights are being offered up for debate with a balance of skepticism and acceptance from said audience, then Insider Y should be afforded an environment that enables him to continue i.e should be treated with respect and civility.

But I might be missing your point, Guitarfool?

Buddhahat: Maybe if Daro himself weren't an aggressive kind of poster (remember the "f*** YOU ROCKY RACCON" post he made almost right off the bat?) it wouldn't have turned out the way it has.

Fair point Woodstock.

Back to the analogy:  If Insider Y antagonises audience members though it does become complex. But in that instance I'd suggest the organisers issue the Insider a warning, just as they'd issue a warning to the over zealous Historian X.

As I said, you mods have a difficult joib, especially as you have lives to lead outside of here and can't monitor all threads 'live'. I just wonder if some tighter rules around the Honoured Guest threads might be more beneficial to all. Maybe some more Honoured Guests might be more inclined to share their side of things in a less hostile environment?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:17:52 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »

The reasons many people do not like Daro:

- For the things he did in 60's
- For his behaviour on SS
- For being inaccurate too much

If people don't like something they often show it.

Some people here don't like Brian and they show it, some people here don't like Mike and they show it. A lot of people here are skeptical about Daro and therefor they show it. This means Daro needs to change in order to be more liked - he can not change what he did in the 60's, but he can change his behaviour on SS and he can make his stories more accurate.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:37:39 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »

A lot of people here are skeptical about Daro and therefor they show it. This means Daro needs to change in order to be more liked - he can not change what he did in the 60's, but he can change his behaviour on SS and he can make his stories more accurate.

You make it seem Lorren can change his stories to make them fit the circumstances as we know them to be! How does one change their own memories to fit the reality of others, when that would require studying every last bit of minutiae to make them so? ( and hoping one doesn't miss something to trip themselves)
 I don't get he's consciously trying to spin stories/aka >Lying<,  it's simply that his memories are almost totally inconsistent with reality

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »

I wanted the guy to have a chance to have his say, clear up misconceptions, set the record straight, fill in some blanks and generally have his being here be worth BOTH his while and ours.  I'd say that THAT did not happen.  The fault for that should be shared.

He arrived with a bad reputation...whether it was accurate...open for debate.  The initial approach he used?  Just plain wrong.  The reaction?  Predictable and not indefensible.  As a result the whole thing got shut down.  A shame really...only because there might have been something meangful to be learned.  Turned out to be a chance wasted on both sides of the coin.

But [and I paraphrase here with my own wording]  then he returned, hat in hand, admitted that he had taken it over the top and that he was sorry ... that his approach was probably bull-sh*t like after all and as a result he tried to be more pleasant.  He tested the waters.  We tested the waters.  The result?  In the 2nd thread he was only really rude again to those WHO DESERVED IT.  You crap on a guy?  He's gonna crap back.  Hip-wader sales sky-rockited.

Granted his facts and recollections weren't studied, researched, double checked and referenced...because he was only going with his own 50ish year old memory as his lone source of remembering what went down...and not trying to write a book, a script or submit an historical essay.  Lorren had a weak memory for the minutia aspect of his recollections.  He was VERY strong in terms of his feelings for certain situations and people.  He feelings regarding Murry and Mike...are to some degree shared by [I'm guessing] close to a  majority of people here at the 'good ship' SS.  His take on Marilyn?  That might be seen as a 'bit' of a shocker by the majority here.  Still he never wavered from trying to pose her under an entirely different light.  [and we do know that Brian had an 'interest' in her sister right from the get-go.  THAT always struck me as unusual.  As a matter of fact I sometimes used to wonder how Brian ever pulled that one off?  [maybe he owned an accordian AND a trumpet?  Get that one Mikie?]

At any rate...perhaps for fear of being sued...perhaps for other reasons...Lorren would only go so far with his 'anecdotes'.  Even when I e-mailed him after he suggested that he was going to leave the thread a couple of days ago he had [ really ] no more to offer.  Whatever he might have contributed...was not going to be shared.  The chance he wanted to change perceptions and clear his name?  Squandered might be over-stating it...but not taken advantage of or realized both seem reasonable.  That or he really had NOTHING to say of any true value.  THAT...I doubt though.

I couldn't believe the reception he got here from some people.  I guess those who knew how it would turn out pretty much stayed out of it or ignored the threads.  For those of us hoping for more there were people in the thread who did their level best to keep that from happening.  Looks like it probably wouldn't have happened with or without your 'help'.  But as far as I'm concerned...and I'm 'new...'here'...some of the posters made Smiley Smile [ the site ] look pretty 'mickey mouse'.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 02:15:38 AM »

But [and I paraphrase here with my own wording]  then he returned, hat in hand, admitted that he had taken it over the top and that he was sorry ... that his approach was probably bull-sh*t like after all and as a result he tried to be more pleasant.  He tested the waters.  We tested the waters.  The result?  In the 2nd thread he was only really rude again to those WHO DESERVED IT.  You crap on a guy?  He's gonna crap back.  Hip-wader sales sky-rockited.

I'm sorry to say, but I can only partly agree on this.

His initial approach towards certain other key members in the BB scene was rude to say it mildly. Yes he apologised... but he then continued to make more than rude remarks, not only to other members on this board, but again also people like Murry, Marilyn, Mike, or Terry. He's entitled to have an opinion on certain people, like all of us. But whether or not he's right, or he has a point, or if it's true or not; IMO it's uncalled for to continue such strong words as he did, knowing he won't get a response from them. And those who are known with this board's reputation, also know that strong opinions, result in strong responses. Not that I (always) approve with that. But this is what this board is known for. And if I may use that Indian saying "The smile you send out, returns to you"; it works in the opposite way as well: "The insults you send out, returns to you". Or - as you said: "You crap on a guy?  He's gonna crap back." I'm sure discussing now who started first will turn into a chicken-and-egg debate. But Daro definitely initiated some of the  "crapping" as well, so to say.

So do we all of a sudden have to just politely nod our heads, just because Daro is seen as an honoured/interesting/special guest? No, I don't think so. EVERYONE is entitled to discuss, queston, or criticise... but from EVERYONE is also expected to do that in a civil way. Even Daro. And to blame Daro's decision to leave this board, solely on negative/critical responses from other members, is way too simplistic; he's to blame as well.

By the way; just to make clear again. We didn't ban him. Whether we agreed on his opinions or not, we allowed him to give his his chance to say what he wanted. If he decides to return, we won't stop that. And I'm sure he HAS something interesting to say. But I really hope he realises that if his apporach stays as strong as it was these last couple of days, he shouldn't be surprised if he get's similar responses as well.

And in case you missed it. Daro openly invited everyone who is interested in his side of the story to correspond with him directly through e-mail. For those here interested, do so. Discussing here who's wrong or right won't work, as everyone will stick to his opinion anyway.

And to end "my to cents" on this: I just happened to use a quote from Addsome's post as a reason to respond as well. But it's nothing personal from me to any of you here. I've seen plenty of members here - both in favour of and against Daro - discussing in a critical yet dignified way. And I wish that that's the way all of us will keep on or start doing so.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 05:23:19 AM »

I think we're at least reading the same page here my friend.  We may, in fact, be just about 'on it'.  You said... "And to blame Daro's decision to leave this board, solely on negative/critical responses from other members, is way too simplistic; he's to blame as well."
I initially said in paragraph one... "The fault for that should be shared."

I get your point about Lorren teeing off on folks who are, for various reasons, unavialable for comment, and it's true.  Mind you 'SH' we, as members here, do that too.  Every time we tear a strip off Mike or Murry or anyone else for that matter...they're not here to respond.

Anyway I truly understand that there are good folks, and maybe-just maybe some not quite as good, who wouldn't like or appreciate the opinions expressed by Mr Daro.  The opportunity to learn doesn't always occur in an orderly classroom.  I appreciate the way the moderators handled it ALL...start to finish.  Not ONE complaint there.  I just expected the members of our forum here to be BIGGER, if need be, than the 'guest'.  It might have been better to have had everything on the table before we began to sift through it and hurriedly write its epitaph.

All the best Smile Holland.  You guys are A-1 in my book.  Smiley Smile is a pretty interesting place most days.  Amazing, as we all share a pretty important common denominator, how NOT 'together' we can be.  Anyway...it doesn't matter I don't know the words to 'Kumbaya'.  I don't even know if I spelled it properly. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »

Hey, I don't have any hard feelings towards practically everyone on this board. I think all of us (you and me included) are good people. And we probably all have our bad habits as well, some of which might surface on a messageboard.

Daro isn't the only one who was/is critical (in a blunt or downright offensive way) towards one of the BB (or related). Some other members have done their share, or still do as well. And they often get a fair share of (harsh) replies as well. What I always find remarkable is that we get reported posts from people, saying they are insulted, while they often just have done so themselves as well. We sometimes even get complaints from both parties involved accusing each other, while from an objective point both are to some extent to blame.

It often comes down to being convinced of one's right (and the other by definition is therefore wrong), and having a short fuse. And as the truth often lies somewhere in the middle... why not use some self reflection or try to accept (not agree) to someone else's opinion?

Overall, this is a great board, with some hick-ups now and then, but I'm not going to let that spoil the fun around here.

And... A-1 is too much honour ; just a hard working guy...  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 04:53:55 AM »

It often comes down to being convinced of one's right (and the other by definition is therefore wrong), and having a short fuse.

Ah, that would be me, then.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 07:05:09 AM »

Suppose the Honoured Guest is the one laying into Mike...
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »

It often comes down to being convinced of one's right (and the other by definition is therefore wrong), and having a short fuse.

Ah, that would be me, then.  Grin

On this board there are many...

Self-knowledge is a good quality btw.  Smiley

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »

I've always said that the overall tone of this board could be a bit less strident. I mean, The Beach Boys are about as "unedgy" as a band gets, but we're sometimes on here acting like a bunch of hardcore punks. I often take breaks from this board when the snark-o-meter starts pegging.

Having said that, it was Daro himself who set the tone for his interaction on this board. None of our actual Honored Guests have started their threads or interactions with the intention of "setting the record straight" or "taking on all comers." If they did, they would probably get some push back. As it is, those Honored Guest threads are actual exchanges of interesting information, unlike Daro's. 

Sometimes you really do reap what you sow, and karma really is a bitch.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx