gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:30:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lana  (Read 1876 times)
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »

Leave it to BW to throw one fascinating idea out there.    He would revisit "Lana"   !

Any thoughts?  I wonder if he means that he would give it a proper middle eight.
The melody is so lovely. And his vocal...wow.  Did a certain female singer recently
cause Brian to recall the old tune?

Anybody think Lana might be the generative material for Lindsey Buckingham's "Bwana"?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »

"I said just cheese on my pizza."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »

Did a certain female singer recently cause Brian to recall the old tune?

Ha, maybe that's the case.

Lana Del Ray is a stunning woman, Brian was probably taken with her and went straight to the piano playing "Lana"  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »

Hey Don ol' buddy!

It's always bothered me that the solo in "Lana" is in the middle of a "heroic stanza" (ABCB) rhyming verse:

I'll show, I'll show you another world
All lined with silver and gold
(Solo)
Don't dear please don't, don't be afraid
It's heaven I've been told

The solo should be after the quatrain.

I wonder if that's what he would fix?

Lee
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:17:14 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »

Great to see you, Lee. Or at least to see your key strokes...

yeah...that end rhyme does seem to get lost.  BTW, is this an
example of lyrics totally by Brian? I wonder if he was thinking
of some Hawaiian legend.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »

Mr. Cunningham.  May I call you "Don"?

I just can't understand why Brian said that. He was asked which song would he finish, and I assumed that the questioner asked him which song that's still in the can or in demo form that he would finish. Or maybe he did mean which already-released song that he wished he had back to finish it because he felt it was unfinished. I think Brian mighta just pulled "Lana" out of his........hat.

Why would "Lana" need to be finished? Did it need an extra verse or more instruments in the backing track or more vocals or more of everything to make it a fuller sounding song?

By the way, you referenced Lindsay Buckingham. He produced a great version of Farmer's Daughter to have the FM ladies sing. He didn't touch it - just had them sing it acapella. Farmer's Daughter has no more of a sparse production effort than Lana or Noble Surfer or Finder's Keepers. I mean, you can take any one of those songs on the very early albums and spice them up or "finish" them. But.......less is more sometimes, you know Don?  What's your take on a musical level as far as the verse, chorus, melody of the song? Do you think Lana would be better if it was [somehow] "finished"? I'd say no more than any others in the BB catalog.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:16:30 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »

Mr. Cunningham.  May I call you "Don"?

I just can't understand why Brian said that. He was asked which song would he finish, and I assumed that the questioner asked him which song that's still in the can or in demo form that he would finish. Maybe he did mean which already-released song that he wished he had back to finish it because he felt it was unfinished. I think Brian mighta just pulled "Lana" out of his........hat.

Why would "Lana" need to be finished? Did it need an extra verse or more instruments in the backing track or more vocals or more of everything to make it a fuller sounding song?

By the way, you referenced Lindsay Buckingham. He produced a great version of Farmer's Daughter to have the FM ladies sing. He didn't touch it - just had them sing it acapella. Farmer's Daughter has no more of a sparse production effort than Lana or Noble Surfer or Finder's Keepers. I mean, you can take any one of those songs on the very early albums and spice them up or "finish" them. But.......less is more sometimes, you know Don?  What's your take on a musical level as far as the verse, chorus, melody of the song? Do you think Lana would be better if it was [somehow] "finished"? I'd say no more than any others in the BB catalog.

Yeah, I had meant something that never made it past the demo/early stages or recording (and I listed 3 examples of unfinished BB tunes I wish we had complete versions of, or that he could finish them as he did with BWPS). Maybe he does consider Lana unfinished though, as some have suggested.  Undecided

Either way, I don't mind - I'm just happy he answered my question at all!  Grin. And the thought of him redoing a song like Lana with his current voice is intriguing anyway - I'd definitely love to hear it!

Still hoping for a release of Adult/Child and the Paley Sessions more than anything save another reunion, by the way - too bad we couldn't get him to talk about those!
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »

That's my wife's name. I would love it!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx