gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:21:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69325 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »

Hello gang.   Just posting to up my numbers and see where I stand.   My numbers would be higher but I think I started over a couple of times.   I didn't even attemp t to join the q and a.  figured it would turn out about the way it did.  I read this stuff last nite for the first time.   I trusted my fellow SS ers to ask all the right questions.   still, I wonder about those nikes worn during the reunion tour.    This is an important lifestyle common thread shared by many old fart musicians and their fans.   Those low, wide  clunky nike Crosstrainers are the official shoe for old farts with sore feet.  In many ways this conveys much more of a critical fan/star shared commonality than fav pizza.   Just my 2 cents.   
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27:36 PM »

I thought the Q+A was a great thing.  *shrugs*

Anyway, my favorite question/answer was "What's your favorite chord?"

Great question.  There's an entire universe living within each chord of the musical landscape.  And someone like Brian Wilson understands this more intimately than almost anyone else alive.

"F sharp seventh is my favorite chord."

I really hope Brian enjoyed himself enough (and sees that it really did mean a lot to us) that he might consider coming back and joining us again, one day.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:28:42 PM by R. Smith » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »

I was highly interested to see that Brian namechecled none other than – The Doors – in response to a question about favorite bands from the ‘60s.  Has Brian talked about them as a fave before this?  I don’t think so!

It's a new one on me too. The last band in rockandroll's list was Love, so maybe Brian was just continuing the list. It's a logical follow-up item, the next big name on Elektra. Just a thought...   
A lot of people like The Doors, though.  I think Brian attended the session for Horse Latitudes -- and was really freaked out.  I can imagine.  That song scares me stoned cold sober.

I didn't know that about Brian at the session. Thank you! Which brings me to the second group Brian mentioned in that answer----The Monkees. If my memory serves me right, The Doors and The Monkees were the first two groups to use a Moog, The Doors to treat Jim's voice on the title track of Strange Days and The Monkees slightly later as an instrument in its own right. Might that be why Brian brought up The Monkees next?     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »

I was highly interested to see that Brian namechecled none other than – The Doors – in response to a question about favorite bands from the ‘60s.  Has Brian talked about them as a fave before this?  I don’t think so!

It's a new one on me too. The last band in rockandroll's list was Love, so maybe Brian was just continuing the list. It's a logical follow-up item, the next big name on Elektra. Just a thought...   
A lot of people like The Doors, though.  I think Brian attended the session for Horse Latitudes -- and was really freaked out.  I can imagine.  That song scares me stoned cold sober.

I didn't know that about Brian at the session. Thank you! Which brings me to the second group Brian mentioned in that answer----The Monkees. If my memory serves me right, The Doors and The Monkees were the first two groups to use a Moog, The Doors to treat Jim's voice on the title track of Strange Days and The Monkees slightly later as an instrument in its own right. Might that be why Brian brought up The Monkees next?     

Definitely fascinating stuff!

Production wise, I've always thought that Strange Days really took a lot of influence from Pet Sounds. It's great to know that Brian made it to one of those sessions.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 28, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »

Just because someone makes 1000 posts about how much they hate Mike or that Brian should get the licence doesn't mean they are more likely to ask 'better' questions. Wink
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: January 28, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »

I think it's pretty egocentric to say that you should have a certain amount of posts to contribute to the Q&A or that your 'serious' question deserves answering over another fans.

We're all fans here from all over the world, we're a community. What makes this site brilliant is this multitude of different voices and attitudes. And some people want to take the voice away from certain users?

I get that some people are still bitter that their question wasn't answered, but that's the luck of the draw.

If you're STILL upset, I guess all you can do is build a bridge.

We're allowed to express our opinions on it same as anyone. If *you're* upset about THAT, then...take your own advice.

I'm all for different opinions, I love it, but I'm not a fan of sour grapes.

We're all equal here, that's what's wonderful about this board. Remember when you said MY question should have been last on the list due to a critera made up in your head? That was toxic.

Just suggesting ways to improve the format for next time, which probably won't even be used anyway. No need to take it personally. I'm much more interested in the idea of a vote system now anyway. Again, probably won't even be implemented.

Stop accusing me of sour grapes. I knew my question had a 99.999% chance of not being answered. I just think it was kinda disappointing overall. Not trying to sh!t on the work the mods did for it, or Brian for taking the time. But...if he's only here for a half hour, I say let the easy softball obvious questions get answered elsewhere and let's try to get at least some insightful ones answered here. You don't have to like it, but that's how I see it.

I agree though, it wasn't a waste. Sure, the SMiLE and AdultChild questions were ignored, but we found out his favorite chord and he's thinking about a Love You tour, which is something. I disagree that food questions have to be asked to get him to liven up. This isn't an interview. If he doesn't like certain questions, he can skip em. I'd rather we got a few more "what's your favorite chord" type questions answered at least, rather than wasting time and space on things that, for the most part, are unimportant. Yes, I think it's unimportant how Brian likes his steak cooked or what his favorite ice cream flavor is. Sue me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:26:36 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 28, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »

Frankly, I have faith in Brian's ability to choose the questions that he wants to answer. This wasn't meant to be an interrogation of the man...it's supposed to be informative, fun, and lively for all parties involved. If Brian wanted to answer heavy questions he would've done it....and he did give us some insightful answers to many questions.

If Brian wants to talk about pizza, who are we to complain about it? Oh we're supposed to blame the posters who asked the question? But not Brian who took his time to answer it? It's what Brian felt interested in responding to....let it be.

Thankfully, the negative outlooks on this Q&A have come from a very small minority of posters...I think most of us were more than happy with the way things were handled!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 28, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »

If Brian ever comes around again only people with 15 thousand plus posts can ask the questions...

Which means only AGD can ask the questions..

Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2015, 04:23:41 PM »

If Brian ever comes around again only people with 15 thousand plus posts can ask the questions...

Grin

UNLESS Brian waits three weeks AND  you , me, Mikie and Billy start posting 500 times a day

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 28, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »

Grin

UNLESS Brian waits three weeks AND  you , me, Mikie and Billy start posting 500 times a day

I'm up for that challenge  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »

Perhaps we should play" Beach Boy Jeopardy" to decide who gets to ask questions. Would not Bruce Johnston make a great moderator.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »

Depends on the day....he runs hot and cold.

(Another post for me too. 1,000.00 here we come)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2015, 02:19:33 AM »

Thankfully, the negative outlooks on this Q&A have come from a very small minority of posters...I think most of us were more than happy with the way things were handled!
I don't think negative is the right word. All criticism has been constructive----there has been no outright dissing. And no one has complained about the mods' handling of it----why on earth would they?!

I felt disappointed at the outset because of all the unanswered questions, the two and a half pages of zero replies. I don't feel that way now, certainly after reading the ones that were answered (on both boards). A magic moment----Brian Wilson has taken the time to talk to us. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2015, 03:16:21 AM »

Quote from: rab2591 link=topic=19801.msg496870#msg496870 date=1422489016

Thankfully, the negative outlooks on this Q&A have come from a very small minority of posters...

[/quote

A small minority of blowhard control freaks

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2015, 07:09:57 AM »

Did Murry just sing the last note on "Be Here in the Mornin'" or did he sing in the whole song?

I've seen elsewhere that Mike wasn't there for the session so Murry filled in on bass vocal.

I've seen that Mike was unable to hit a note so Murry sang it.

What's the truth? I hear Mike in the whole song but I want to say the last bass note is Murry.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2015, 08:08:58 PM »

Yes, Mr. 107. you got it right. It's been discussed lots on the board.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »

Disappointed about missing out on asking Brian a question for the Q&A. Was going to ask about the 'Sweet Insanity' album and his favorite tracks from the album etc and also if he has heard Darian's cover of 'Do You Have Any Regrets?' (which is one of my favorite Brian solo songs).
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2015, 07:08:38 AM »

Yes, Mr. 107. you got it right. It's been discussed lots on the board.

I am aware that it has been discussed lots on the board. That's why I introduced my question with having researched it on the board.

I was just trying to get clarification since I had seen people claim that Murry sang on the entire song while others (and Brian) said just that one note.

From what I understand, Brian is not always a definitive source when it comes to many facts ("I never met John Lennon").
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »

Grin

Actually, I'd love for AGD to interview Brian, live on the board.   Rock!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »

Grin

Sounds good to me.  Thumbs Up

Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »

Grin

The first question AGD could ask Brian is where he gets his cheese pizza from.  Cheesy

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »

Grin

The first question AGD could ask Brian is where he gets his cheese pizza from.  Cheesy

And follow up by asking what he drinks with it. And if he orders sides with it. Is he a chicken wing or breadstick guy? Coke, Pepsi, iced tea or just some good old water? The world needs to know! LOL

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2015, 10:00:01 PM »

IIRC, Brian has talked about cheese pizzas in an article before. He had some in the fridge at home. From Pizza Hut, I think.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »

Brian should write a song about cheese pizza. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »

AGD: So what inspires you to order cheese pizza?
Brian: Phil Spector. He always orders cheese pizza. Every morning, I put on Be My Baby and order a cheese pizza. Keeps the bad vibrations from coming y'know.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx