gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:20:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69310 times)
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »

What did we learn? To limit the number of questions to posters with more than 1000 posts (which rules me out for a start) so that the long-term members and scholars/historians get the look-in they deserve. Worth keeping in mind for next time. :=)

How about no.

How about yes.

I don't know if a 1000 posts is the right threshold -- but I like the idea.  My God -- this is the Smiley Smile forum.  This is where the nitty gritty gets dissected and then dissected again.  To FINALLY have Brian Wilson on here FINALLY!!! and to get so many softball questions, I don't know.  I thought it was odd.  Like we sold out or something.  Were posters bussed in?

I'm not a critical person regarding what people post or how they post... so I hate to sound critical, I really do -- and I'm not being critical.  I'm just surprised, that's all.  It's a hard format to work in I suppose.  But I was surprised.

1000 posts is not the right threshold. I'm glad we didn't limit the questions to those with a certain amount of posts....if we did, we wouldn't know those interesting tidbits about Break Away...just sayin'... angel
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »

What did we learn? To limit the number of questions to posters with more than 1000 posts (which rules me out for a start) so that the long-term members and scholars/historians get the look-in they deserve. Worth keeping in mind for next time. :=)

How about no.

How about yes.

I don't know if a 1000 posts is the right threshold -- but I like the idea.  My God -- this is the Smiley Smile forum.  This is where the nitty gritty gets dissected and then dissected again.  To FINALLY have Brian Wilson on here FINALLY!!! and to get so many softball questions, I don't know.  I thought it was odd.  Like we sold out or something.  Were posters bussed in?

I'm not a critical person regarding what people post or how they post... so I hate to sound critical, I really do -- and I'm not being critical.  I'm just surprised, that's all.  It's a hard format to work in I suppose.  But I was surprised.

1000 posts is not the right threshold. I'm glad we didn't limit the questions to those with a certain amount of posts....if we did, we wouldn't know those interesting tidbits about Break Away...just sayin'... angel

You're right, of course, and so is the Frog. Even 500 posts is wrong. At that point I saw no other way of rectifying the fact that half a page out of the the three pages of questions had been answered. (I still don't.) I've since pulled myself together, apologized to one or two people and read the Q&A and think they're spot on, even the deli and pizza ones. (There's one at Brian's own website that makes these two look positively high-brow.) Very touching to think that Brian saw the Kingsman [sic] as competition! Maybe as a live band, who knows...

Even if the mods don't find a way round this "problem", I for one can certainly live with it now that we know what to expect...     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »

How about no.

How about yes.

I completely understand. You're preaching to the choir here! Some people get offended and defensive easily and I understand that too. I think 1,000 is pretty high for a threshold; maybe half that or a little less would be just fine. Realistically, though, Chuckie & The Mods aren't going to impose any criteria like that here. It's cum one, cum all.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »

Why is everyone opposed to the post-limit filter?  Because it's not democratic?  I'm not saying I agree either, but any filtering or question moderation system wouldn't be democratic either.  

Ideally, a forum like this would strive to get into the weeds... cuz, we are the weeds.  The album cover that provides this board's name is amply suggestive of where we is at.  Deep in the jungle.

I liked learning that Brian likes F-sharp 7 and his favorite Four Freshman song.  And I get that Brian's only going to do what Brian wants... so in the end -- I think this Q&A was all well and good.  And how in the world did you guys swing this?!!??

Rock!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:38:47 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »

A post limit would mean that occasional visitors with demonstrable experience and knowledge (such as Don Cunningham, just to name one--and Don, apoiogies for dragging your name into this!) would be arbitrarily excluded.

And if you made exemptions for those, you would have lots of problem there.

No, the best solution is to amass the questions and let them be judged by the commons using one of the Internet programs that can rank them into a "best-to-worst" list. As noted earlier, you have to control for manipulation. Y

You also have to get someone to agree to take the time to set that up. It would likely have to be done on a separate site, and possibly by someone who should be compensated for the effort.

"Fairness" to all is not easy in any context. It's a problem everywhere. But if you want the set of questions submitted to Brian to best reflect the consensus of all the board members, then this process is your best bet.

As I said before, the best way to test this is to use the questions that were submitted for the Brian's first chat, create the "yes/no" mechanism permitting people to personally assess it, and look at the results. One of the intruiging things that could come out of such an exercise is that we would see how many questions at the top of such a "theoretical" list turned out to be ones that Brian actually answered...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »

The post threshold is something that should probably be taken off the table, but inane questions are not. I don't believe most people come to Smiley to find out Brian's favorite pizza is Cheese.  If that's what you want to know, I say  post your questions on Brian's board !
If we/the mods limit questions to those with  substance, there'll be no opportunity for Brian/Mike/whomever to pick/answer silly stuff.
 Of course if that doesn't suit Brian/Mike/whomever, then he may choose not to do any more question sessions here.
Seems to me the only way to find that out is to impose the limit
  ( Typed while Don was postinig)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »

I was highly interested to see that Brian namechecled none other than – The Doors – in response to a question about favorite bands from the ‘60s.  Has Brian talked about them as a fave before this?  I don’t think so!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »

Another post for me, working my way to the promised land of 1,000.00 posts. I'll get there. Brian, don't come back until I reach my goal!

( this entire goal threshold is just nuts ! Are you people serious?)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

Only 850.00 more to go. Wait for me Brian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »

Jeff, they will ban you at 999 (if not sooner)!!!  Evil police Cool Guy
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:47 AM »

I'll add that the positive reactions have far outnumbered and outweighed and criticisms or negativity. I think the overall positivity has strength in numbers over the negativity or perceived negativity which can sometimes stand out. Consider if you have a beautiful painting on display, and 99% of the surface area is occupied by the original colors on the canvas. Then there is a very tiny speck of paint that had been chipped off in a storage mishap through the years. Which element of that painting might stand out more depending on who is looking at it? The 99% that is the actual work of art, or that tiny speck of missing paint? I'd say if you'd focus on that chipped paint, you're missing the overall experience of enjoying that work of art.  Smiley

Absolutely Guitar Fool - clearly people loved it and were appreciative, and I was guilty of being annoyed by people demeaning others' questions enough to focus on that, my problem.  I do have my bitchy moments... Evil

That said, who is going to determine what is an acceptable question?  Must it be scholarly?  Posted by a musician?  Posted by a historian?  I certainly don't object to such parameters if Brian or anyone else wants to do a Q&A...I'm just wondering how that would be determined.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:39:48 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »

Jeff, they will ban you at 999 (if not sooner)!!!  Evil police Cool Guy

So funny, I laughed out loud at your comment.

( 849 to go )
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »

Another post for me, working my way to the promised land of 1,000.00 posts. I'll get there. Brian, don't come back until I reach my goal!

( this entire goal threshold is just nuts ! Are you people serious?)

Now that I have just over a 1000, you're damn right I'm serious!!  Cheesy

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »

A post limit would mean that occasional visitors with demonstrable experience and knowledge (such as Don Cunningham, just to name one--and Don, apoiogies for dragging your name into this!) would be arbitrarily excluded.

And if you made exemptions for those, you would have lots of problem there.

No, the best solution is to amass the questions and let them be judged by the commons using one of the Internet programs that can rank them into a "best-to-worst" list. As noted earlier, you have to control for manipulation. Y

You also have to get someone to agree to take the time to set that up. It would likely have to be done on a separate site, and possibly by someone who should be compensated for the effort.

"Fairness" to all is not easy in any context. It's a problem everywhere. But if you want the set of questions submitted to Brian to best reflect the consensus of all the board members, then this process is your best bet.

As I said before, the best way to test this is to use the questions that were submitted for the Brian's first chat, create the "yes/no" mechanism permitting people to personally assess it, and look at the results. One of the intruiging things that could come out of such an exercise is that we would see how many questions at the top of such a "theoretical" list turned out to be ones that Brian actually answered...

Yep.  But that's a lot of work.  It doesn't need to be so scientific.

I'm fine with just posting questions to get all the stuff off our chests in a thread -- and just come to a consensus.  Like the album thread where we vote a song off the island to get to the best song.

I'm also fine with some smarty pants or self-appointed or duly elected Representative just picking a dozen or so.

Questions like "Hey... tell us about Adult/Child, Brian." or "Why did you say you burned the SMiLE tapes?  Did you burn any SMiLE tapes?"  Feel free to vote my questions off the island  Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »

I was highly interested to see that Brian namechecled none other than – The Doors – in response to a question about favorite bands from the ‘60s.  Has Brian talked about them as a fave before this?  I don’t think so!

It's a new one on me too. The last band in rockandroll's list was Love, so maybe Brian was just continuing the list. It's a logical follow-up item, the next big name on Elektra. Just a thought...    

Edit: I see now that David Anderle spent a couple of years at Elektra (1968-70). That may or may not be significant...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:45:12 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »

It reminds of Bill Clinton, back in '92, going on MTV for some "hardball" questions, and being asked if he preferred "boxers or briefs."

Undecided

I'm sure all candidates get this stuff now, but that was a first I think.  That was a real Twilight Zone moment.  Like when the main character in a movie realizes that everyone's in on it, and turns to the other main character, and they too are are in on it.

Poo.  Butt.  Farts.  You're are next President!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »

I was highly interested to see that Brian namechecled none other than – The Doors – in response to a question about favorite bands from the ‘60s.  Has Brian talked about them as a fave before this?  I don’t think so!

It's a new one on me too. The last band in rockandroll's list was Love, so maybe Brian was just continuing the list. It's a logical follow-up item, the next big name on Elektra. Just a thought...   
A lot of people like The Doors, though.  I think Brian attended the session for Horse Latitudes -- and was really freaked out.  I can imagine.  That song scares me stoned cold sober.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »

I'll add that the positive reactions have far outnumbered and outweighed and criticisms or negativity. I think the overall positivity has strength in numbers over the negativity or perceived negativity which can sometimes stand out. Consider if you have a beautiful painting on display, and 99% of the surface area is occupied by the original colors on the canvas. Then there is a very tiny speck of paint that had been chipped off in a storage mishap through the years. Which element of that painting might stand out more depending on who is looking at it? The 99% that is the actual work of art, or that tiny speck of missing paint? I'd say if you'd focus on that chipped paint, you're missing the overall experience of enjoying that work of art.  Smiley

Do you know what the human brain and eyes do? The eyes will gravitate to that tiny speck of missing paint before looking at the rest of the picture and the brain will remember it. If you are fixing or touching up a chip or other paint defect on a painting or wall or whatever it is, then you touch it up and go away and come back to it, from then on you're going to look at that touch-up spot first to see if you did a good job; to see if it blended properly. That's just an example of how human nature is. It can be an obsession!

Also, you know that old expression, "He can't see the forest for the trees"? It's used to describe someone who is too involved in the details of a problem to look at the situation as a whole. You know, the big picture.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:55:21 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »

It reminds of Bill Clinton, back in '92, going on MTV for some "hardball" questions, and being asked if he preferred "boxers or briefs."

Undecided

I'm sure all candidates get this stuff now, but that was a first I think.  That was a real Twilight Zone moment.  Like when the main character in a movie realizes that everyone's in on it, and turns to the other main character, and they too are are in on it.

Poo.  Butt.  Farts.  You're are next President!

Once again, I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

For real tho, I say Smiley ought to be where the "hardball" questions are asked. For Brian or anyone else. I know this is more on Brian and not the mods, but I also think 30 minutes was way too brief. That's primarily why my initial response was to feel disappointed; not because my question wasn't answered so much as it was over in the blink of an eye, and all the older, (mostly better) questions weren't even seen. It almost felt like a waste.

I know I'll get crucified for saying as much, but that's how I felt about it. And I'm a massive Brian fan.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2015, 01:10:43 PM »

Agreed. If the bio book due was and is based on these Q and A's then it is a major downer.
Let us hope interview sessions were conducted over good days/months and bad days/months, then reviewed and cross referenced.
Then probed for the best answer from our hero.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2015, 01:25:52 PM »

I think it's pretty egocentric to say that you should have a certain amount of posts to contribute to the Q&A or that your 'serious' question deserves answering over another fans.

We're all fans here from all over the world, we're a community. What makes this site brilliant is this multitude of different voices and attitudes. And some people want to take the voice away from certain users?

I get that some people are still bitter that their question wasn't answered, but that's the luck of the draw.

If you're STILL upset, I guess all you can do is build a bridge.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »

I think it's pretty egocentric to say that you should have a certain amount of posts to contribute to the Q&A or that your 'serious' question deserves answering over another fans.

We're all fans here from all over the world, we're a community. What makes this site brilliant is this multitude of different voices and attitudes. And some people want to take the voice away from certain users?

I get that some people are still bitter that their question wasn't answered, but that's the luck of the draw.

We're allowed to express our opinions on it same as anyone. If *you're* upset about THAT, then...take your own advice.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »

Sinister smile is right, it is not the amount of posts that matters. It's the content of the posts that matter.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »

We're allowed to express our opinions on it same as anyone. If *you're* upset about THAT, then...take your own advice.

I'm all for different opinions, I love it, but I'm not a fan of sour grapes.

We're all equal here, that's what's wonderful about this board. Remember when you said MY question should have been last on the list due to a critera made up in your head? That was toxic.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx