gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:20:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69327 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

I can tell that you live(d) in Philly. Smiley

Yes indeed! The quality of pizza, sandwiches, and the like in and around Philly spoiled me at a very young age. Especially the pizza back in the 80's. Now it's hard to find a decent slice at most places.  Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »

Hardly a shock that Brian chooses the easiest questions to answer...you have read Brian Wilson interviews before right? If most of those questions were at the top of the board flashing in huge text he still wouldn't answer them.

BTW I got my question in at 7.59 European time and it was deleted (not that it would have been answered anyway)  Grin

Really? We did keep an eye on multiple posts, but as far as I can see you only posted once. Strange... no clue what happened there. (apart from the ss-board being a total madhouse at around that time)

I can say 100% that not a single post was deleted at or after that time, for reasons I described on page 7. It just wasn't possible to delete any, so either there is a miscommunication or misunderstanding or something in the board. Because I laid out the reasons why none of those question topics could be deleted even if it were tried!  Smiley

Yeah, I only posted once and it was actually there until the end of the q&a and then disappeared shortly afterwards. It doesn't show anywhere now as far as I can see..not on my profile or on that sub-forum. Anyway obviously it doesn't matter as he didn't answer it. Cheers for setting it all up guys.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »

Van Dyke's response on twitter Smiley

Andrew Hickey, @hickeywriter:
Nice to see Brian Wilson say @thevandykeparks is his all-time favourite collaborator.

Van Dyke Parks, @thevandykeparks:
FLOORED!

After I butted in:

“@ClayWires: Well, who else would it be?”VDP: It could be the venerable Tony Asher. Or Brian himself "like a cork on the ocean"(unbeatable!)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »

I really enjoyed the questions everyone asked, and found it interesting that Brian said Van Dyke was his favorite collaborator. This may have been a dig at Mike, but I liked that answer!
If he just wanted a dig at Mike, why not answer Joe Thomas or Scott Bennett, his most recent collaborators? I think he meant what he said.

I would have first laughed and then felt very depressed if he had answered "Joe Thomas."  But I liked his answer, as well as VDP's response.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »

I'm with you, ontor--wanna see a fully-worked up new live show with a lot of Love You featured in some kind of sustained sequence. I think they can "rock the casbah" with "Let Us Go On," "Roller Skating Jailbait Child" (actually not sure which of these to strike through, come to think of it...) and "Honkin' Down the Highway." (Al and Billy can trade off lines on that one...)

And you know what...Brian's response about VDP just might prove to be another olive branch in their complicated relationship. Wouldn't that be, er, NICE!!  3D
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:20 PM »

Nice to see Brian Wilson say @thevandykeparks is his all-time favourite collaborator.

FLOORED!

After I butted in:

“@ClayWires: Well, who else would it be?”VDP: It could be the venerable Tony Asher. Or Brian himself "like a cork on the ocean"(unbeatable!)

An irresistible response.  So happy to see this...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:27:21 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »

I want to see VDP sit in with the BW band someday.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2015, 04:02:28 PM »

I think the mods did a GREAT job yesterday.  Every decision they made seemed to be the right one.  For example, limiting the questions to one per member was a great idea.  Did you notice that they didn’t do that over at the BW board, and many of the multiple questions from the SAME posters got, well, a little “nutty” if you know what I mean.

Smiley Smile Mods Rock!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »

It has become crystal clear that Brian give short answers to interview questions.    this has gone on for years!   I am recalling the Terry Gross Radio,interview from NPR fresh air a few years ago.   this is how he is and was.  sometimes very straight and candid (the high hat cymbal answer) but always brief.  I didn't mind the pizza question.   I thought about asking him if he enjoyed wearing the old man nike Crosstrainers as much as I do.   Man those are comfortable shoes for old feet!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »

FLOORED!

This makes me very happy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »

I want to see VDP sit in with the BW band someday.....
Yes, great idea and the icing on the cake or the ice cream on the pie,  Whatever!, would be to see them work together once again, huh? Bow

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »

FLOORED!

After I butted in:

that is so nice to read. see... these guys still love each other!

how great would it be if Brian took back the license and invited Van to join the touring Beach Boys?  LOL
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2015, 06:29:56 PM »

[quote author=Cyncie link=topic=19801.msg496400#msg496400

Now, I do think it's a shame that questions submitted early probably weren't even seen. And, I did see at least one member bumping their post by editing in order to push it to the top. So, now that we know what the logistical problems are, we can begin to address them.

Does editing a topic really make it bumped up to the top of the page? If so, and if that was directed at me, that was not my intention but rather to edit out a followup question as per the instructions.

No it doesn't move it to the top of the page!  Don't worry, maybe it was aimed at me!  I edited my question several times before I was happy with it. Grin
[/quote]

No, it wasn't you. At the time, I was watching a post that started in the middle of the page, but jumped to the top without any answer from Brian. Later it disappeared completely. Now that others are reporting disappearing posts and weird glitches, I think it may have actually been a board issue.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »

There were a couple mind-bogglingly bad questions asked to Brian. The worst one, in my opinion, was the one about Brian's favorite deli sandwich. Seriously?
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »

There were a couple mind-bogglingly bad questions asked to Brian. The worst one, in my opinion, was the one about Brian's favorite deli sandwich. Seriously?

I don't think it was a bad question. I read somewhere that the guy behind The High Llamas met Brian and all he wanted to do was talk sandwiches. Don't know how factual it is, but if you keep that in mind the question isn't awful.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2015, 09:38:21 PM »

yeah going to the deli is supposedly part of Brian's daily routine. I'm sure it interests him a lot more than any SMiLE-related questions, quite honestly.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2015, 10:03:04 PM »

What's wrong with that? It's no worse than asking him what kind of pizza he likes! To get his attention, I thought about mentioning the name of the deli and grocery store and park that he frequents and even what he thought of the salmon salad at the deli. But then I backed off and thought I'd sound like a stalker and decided not to ask him any questions. Anyway, the question I wanted to ask was already taken by two other posters here and one on his board so I thought I was already covered. He didn't answer either of 'em!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »

What's wrong with that? It's no worse than asking him what kind of pizza he likes! To get his attention, I thought about mentioning the name of the deli and grocery store and park that he frequents and even what he thought of the salmon salad at the deli. But then I backed off and thought I'd sound like a stalker and decided not to ask him any questions. Anyway, the question I wanted to ask was already taken by two other posters here and one on his board so I thought I was already covered. He didn't answer either of 'em!

The pizza question is just as bad, in my opinion. Brian's a truly unique guy with a fascinating life story, and questions like those just seem trivial to me.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:28 AM »

I thought there was cheese on every pizza.

Sorry I derailed this thread with my post! Cheesy

So, anybody up for a Q&A with Al??

Al will have to pass a test first (to be provided by Andrew) to determine whether Al's knowledge of the Beach Boys facts is good enough before he can be allowed a Q&A here. Grin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:42:01 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2015, 05:02:30 AM »

I wonder...if...there is something agreed to in writing which says that [at this time] only Brian and/or Mike are 'supposed' to talk about/represent the Beach Boys in any kind of official capacity...or even if...only Mike is 'supposed' to do that?

I ask because of the suggestion regarding Al.  And really...Brian was representing Brian here on Monday? Huh ?

But then Bruce posts on BBB with a degree of frequency.  So that blows THAT out of the water.  [kind of like Crocodile Dundee fishing]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »

I wonder...if...there is something agreed to in writing which says that [at this time] only Brian and/or Mike are 'supposed' to talk about/represent the Beach Boys in any kind of official capacity...or even if...only Mike is 'supposed' to do that?

I ask because of the suggestion regarding Al.  And really...Brian was representing Brian here on Monday? Huh ?

But then Bruce posts on BBB with a degree of frequency.  So that blows THAT out of the water.  [kind of like Crocodile Dundee fishing]

Just a few weeks ago I checked out BBB and Bruce was on talking about his surfboard and surfing. Is there an expectation that he or anyone else will or should tackle in-depth, heavy, multi-layered questions instead of talking conversationally with their fans for a few minutes on a forum?

I'm asking this with a bit of humor, but lets say anyone here were to by chance run into a band member on the street or in a grocery store, etc. At that point, if a conversation were to start, would that be the time or place to ask or expect answers to multi-layered questions or would it be a more casual type of scene?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »

Just a few weeks ago I checked out BBB and Bruce was on talking about his surfboard and surfing. Is there an expectation that he or anyone else will or should tackle in-depth, heavy, multi-layered questions instead of talking conversationally with their fans for a few minutes on a forum?

I'm asking this with a bit of humor, but lets say anyone here were to by chance run into a band member on the street or in a grocery store, etc. At that point, if a conversation were to start, would that be the time or place to ask or expect answers to multi-layered questions or would it be a more casual type of scene?

I don't think anything could be clearer than the fact this was a social interaction where Brian offered to chat with his fans and there weren't any "bad" questions.  If he picked the question and answered, he must have liked it, right?   Consider the context:  a 30 minute chat. 

While many here have spent decades studying every bit of minutiae about Brian and his work, it might be good to consider that he hasn't had the time to do that.  That's your job if you chose it and good for you.  It should be an excellent chronicle of this gifted man, as long as you've considered your sources carefully.  Some were excellent.  Some were out-and-out liars.

In the mean time Brian's been busy being Brian Wilson, living his life and creating new things.  I doubt he's had much time to pour over the old stuff, unless it happened to strike him that day.  If he wants to discuss the music in detail, he has the best band in the world to talk to (described that way by people much more knowledgeable than me).  Then again, he picks up the phone and calls Paul McCartney and gets him, or Carole King, or pretty much anyone, I'd assume.  But anyone might catch him at the right moment and then they'll have their magical music detail moment with Brian.

I would say this.  Possibly the most important thing I learned about Brian was that he really hated, and I suspect still does dislike, people trashing each other.  If you really want him to come back on a somewhat regular basis, you might keep that in mind and treat each other a little better, at least about this particular event.  He gave you this lovely gift.  I suspect if you're appreciative - even decent - about it, he may come back and answer your question next time... 
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »

Well said Debbie.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »

I'll add that the positive reactions have far outnumbered and outweighed and criticisms or negativity. I think the overall positivity has strength in numbers over the negativity or perceived negativity which can sometimes stand out. Consider if you have a beautiful painting on display, and 99% of the surface area is occupied by the original colors on the canvas. Then there is a very tiny speck of paint that had been chipped off in a storage mishap through the years. Which element of that painting might stand out more depending on who is looking at it? The 99% that is the actual work of art, or that tiny speck of missing paint? I'd say if you'd focus on that chipped paint, you're missing the overall experience of enjoying that work of art.  Smiley

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »

What did we learn? To limit the number of questions to posters with more than 1000 posts (which rules me out for a start) so that the long-term members and scholars/historians get the look-in they deserve. Worth keeping in mind for next time. :=)

How about no.

How about yes.

I don't know if a 1000 posts is the right threshold -- but I like the idea.  My God -- this is the Smiley Smile forum.  This is where the nitty gritty gets dissected and then dissected again.  To FINALLY have Brian Wilson on here FINALLY!!! and to get so many softball questions, I don't know.  I thought it was odd.  Like we sold out or something.  Were posters bussed in?

I'm not a critical person regarding what people post or how they post... so I hate to sound critical, I really do -- and I'm not being critical.  I'm just surprised, that's all.  It's a hard format to work in I suppose.  But I was surprised.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx