gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:25:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69324 times)
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »

First, I just think it's so dang cool Brian Wilson (BRIAN WILSON) did a Q&A on the forum. He could have just done it on the BW board, he could have done it on Facebook, he could have tried to snake the BB board. He chose Smiley Smile, that's a credit to the moderators, the members and the distinguished guests who elevate the content and consideration of the content to the high standards the board holds. So cool!

I am happy that Brian selected my "Wild Honey" / "Love You" question and answered it, even though it was basically a "no" and a plug for his new album. I'm happy because it was a question I was legitimately curious about (because I know other people in his backing band had occasionally made "Love You" comments and obviously "Darlin'" gets a regular airing live), and I'd love to think Brian sometimes listens to his old music and has a laugh, enjoys a good groove and appreciates the truly cool stuff he (and the Beach Boys) have done that doesn't always get the "Endless Summer" attention.

But no, I wasn't surprised he doesn't listen to them.

In that context, I suppose my question can be deemed a useless one.

I am sorry folks didn't get their questions answered.

I had spoken with some board folks that I keep in contact with on Facebook, and I told them that I don't think Brian will answer deep / complex / provocative questions. Often in the past, when interviewers tried, he'd answer with things like, "I don't know. I don't know the answer to that. I can't answer that."

So it didn't make sense to craft more in-depth or challenging questions that he'd skip over. I didn't see a need to set myself up for disappointment.

I know some people think that if there were only 100 questions provided, and they were all of top-notch quality, asking for material that's seldom/never been addressed before, that maybe Brian would have divulged some great info. I'd love to think that, but I'm quite sure he wouldn't have.

I'm more of the mind that he'd have looked at the 100 challenging questions, then picked and chosen words in the questions he'd address (as he often did with some of them) and just say what he wanted. "Brian, how do you feel about the court stuff with Dr. Landy, how that led to conservatorship, and how Dr. Landy's credits were dropped from your music?" "Dr. Landy helped me and I miss him." That kind of thing.

Many people who've posted here have interviewed him to varying degrees of success, and can certainly bring heft to their arguments in any degree. I think, however, that the questions he chose, and how he answered many of them, speaks a lot to what Brian was looking to do. Setting post limits (minimums of X posts), time limits (must have been a member X length of time), etc. wouldn't change that. I've been a watcher for several years before I ever created an account. I don't particularly care if someone has been here for 5 years more than me and has 70,000 more posts than me, I am a fan, a legitimate fan, who has spent a lot of time, a lot of money, a lot of nights and a lot of love with this man, this band, this music. I'm no one special, I don't have any special claim as a fan (I've seen BW live 4 times, I met him once on his tour bus, that's it), but I'm content with that. I'm just a fan. Smiley

I'm sorry my question got picked instead of yours. I really am. I would have loved for him to select the "hard ball" questions and the more meaty stuff. I would have loved to see 200 answers and all board members sated. I really would. I would like to see you all gratified in your quests for knowledge.

But I'm also glad that he enjoyed my question enough to at least address it. I'll refrain from asking any in future occasions so that others get a shot. That isn't said in a "woe is me" pity-party way, but in a legit, "Hey, I want you to have a shot at it!" way.

Best wishes to all. Seriously. Smiley

Looking forward to other discussions and new revelations and the new music. I'm hoping it'll be a great year for all of it. Smiley

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »

This has been wonderful Smiley  Considering it's the first time for this, the mods did a great job.  I stupidly (and I hate myself to death for it) got the date/time wrong, (damn southern hemisphere).  I did not at all expect to get my question answered, but it is something I really wanted to know as I'm fascinated by the subject (synesthesia) and I know I read it somewhere!!!  Brian picked the questions he wanted to answer and his replies were exactly how I thought they would be.  Those who got answered, You must be thrilled to bits!  Congrats!   w00t!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »

Yup, twas prime time 8 pm in Europe. Given the fact all can be read for years to come, I doubt I would have gotten up at 3 am for it. Would you have?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »

Hi Micha Smiley  Well considering I was still awake at 2am, yeah I could have  Cry   I don't really hate myself to death for it, I got sidetracked, and as you said I can read them at my leisure Smiley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

Yeah, a few Love You shows could be epic. I wouldn't expect a tour, but they owe use by their refusal to put one Love You song in the regular set list. Seriously, how would the "The Night Was So Young" mess up the show?
It's the worst song on the album. Carl sounds horrid. What about "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" w/ Val  as a guest singer  (off Sean Macreavy band)? Though ideally, I'd like to hear my favorite "I Wanna Pick You Up". Just for that counter melody behind the 2nd verse!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:18 PM »

Hi Micha Smiley  Well considering I was still awake at 2am, yeah I could have  Cry 

Well, in that case it is a little bummer. A cute little bummer. Wink 2

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »

Some thoughts from a newbie on the board of less than 10 posts.  I choose NOT (my option to do this) to post a question because I truly feel there are many more qualified members of the Smiley Smile Board deserving to post a question to BW than myself.  I watched it all unfold this morning for about 15 questions and then had to leave for the rest of the day. I just finished up the reading final Q&A and the 9 pages of arguments in this thread.  Some thoughts.................

I know we have Board members who have been blessed in their lives/careers to have interviewed BW previously.  I take with a LARGE grain of salt that every one of these interviews were easy one on one chats.  My lord, go on You Tube and see all of the very bad interviews that BW has been a part of over the last 50 years.  Lordy, some are down right embarrassing and I would bet BW himself would agree if he was forced to watch them.  Personally the only good BW interview I've ever seen was on the Canadian show Studio Q about 5 to 10 years ago. It was a one on one 30 minute show that I encourage everyone on the board to go pull up and watch. (Sorry I don't know how to link)  It was marvelous.  It's the only time I've ever seen BW give one two and three sentence answers.  just a marvelous show that got better as the show went on.

Today was a 30 minute Q & A chat.  Honestly did anyone even think that we were going to get anything more than  2/3/4/5 word answers.  This played out exactly to BW's weakness of avoidance.  He was able  to avoid the toughies and follow the path of least resistance. I love his music dearly.  I wish he was more open but its not meant to be folks.  Its neat he did this for his hardcore fans who love him dearly.  Yes it's was done in the name of publicity...of course it was....this is the music business.

Don't mean to come off as a jerk,  but I think many peoples "Great Expectations" (bad pun I know) were elevated way past the point of reality.  Focus on the movie, the album, and hey we learned today there may be a tour....I consider it a great great day for Smiley Smile.

Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »

We learned that Brian was nice enough to answer questions for all of you which is one hell of a lot more than some of the other so called rock icons.
Bravo Brian and thank for taking the time and effort.

Make waves, not love
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:25 PM »

I think it all went down as I expected. That is, the Breakaway info is a kind of revelation I did not expect - a very nice surprise. I found it unlikely Brian would answer my question, and he didn't, I'm fine. I think the mods organized it all in a most effective and comfortable way. Thumbs up. (And of course I was kidding about the 2500 post limit. Smiley)

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2015, 12:35:31 AM »

Maybe next time (if there will be one), we should collect all the questions that everyone has, do some of those "Survivors" rounds with them and only present the winning questions to Brian.  Wink
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2015, 12:37:03 AM »

this was an awesome experience that we were all very lucky to be party to. it was meant to be fun, light, and casual. the way Brian likes it. and we actually got a few revealing and unexpected replies to boot.

hard to believe some of us are actually upset and trying to lay down rules and restrictions for the "next time"

there will likely not be a next time. pity you couldn't just enjoy and appreciate it this time.

for the record, I waited until 5 minutes before 11am to post my question. it wasn't answered.

but what fun! thanks to the mods for the extra hours you put into this. such a huge treat
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2015, 02:30:39 AM »

hard to believe some of us are actually upset and trying to lay down rules and restrictions for the "next time"
Not so much upset than saddened seeing questions by erudite posters going by the board (no pun intended) and saying something about it instead of wisely keeping such thoughts to myself. That really is all. I'm certainly not criticizing the mods----anything but!----and I apologize if they think I am. It was a leap into the unknown and boy did they handle it well!       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:31 AM »

Just a few thoughts...

1) Thanks to Charles and the moderators (and, of course, Brian and his team) for making this event possible! My question about the Baldwin organ got a reply, which is a thrill for me as I've been wondering about it for quite a while, asking questions over the years to various people who would know. Brian's answer might not be the most precise, but it gives me hope that this great instrument still exists in storage somewhere. Thank you again, Brian!  Grin

2) I'm surprised some people here aren't pleased with the way this lovely Q&A session went - wait, no, in fact that isn't a surprise at all.

3) I'm pleased Brian decided to answer the pizza question. We know Brian likes food, so someone asked a question about food, that had never been asked before, and got an answer. An unexpected one, by the way.

4) Brian should be the only one allowed to choose which questions he wants to answer. No "votes" or "+1"s from members of this board - just let him decide.

5) To people who would like to allow questions only from members with a certain amount of posts: you're selfish. As someone else said in this thread, many of us read the board without feeling the need to post everyday. Many people with 1000+ posts reached those levels by posting inane or irrelevant comments by the truckload.  Lips Sealed

6) To people who would like questions to be posted only after Brian comes on the board: again, you're selfish. Why? Timezones. Also, by giving people such a short time to write their questions, you're actually helping those with "stupid"/"childish"/"simple" questions, and you're saying you want none of these...  Roll Eyes

7) To people who would like others to post super-hardcore questions such as "how did you feel about Stephen Moffitt's mic-ing at Brother in comparison to Desper's at Bellagio?": again, and again, you're selfish. A vaguely satisfying answer to such a question would take at least 5 minutes of Brian's time. Do the math: for 30 minutes, this means only 6 questions of that caliber would be answered, instead of 30+. By the way, if you're privileged enough to interview Brian directly and regularly, please ask this question yourself. And don't forget to bring cheese pizza if you want to improve the odds of getting a detailed answer.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:09:26 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:50 AM »

I remember one seriously embarrassing occasion on the Blueboard when Brian turned up on an impromptu visit and there was nobody there! So I'm glad that both Smiley Smile and Brian's own MB were busy. There weren't many surprises for me - pretty much as I expected it to be. Still awaiting the exciting news but anticipation is part of the fun.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:01:51 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2015, 03:42:10 AM »

Hardly a shock that Brian chooses the easiest questions to answer...you have read Brian Wilson interviews before right? If most of those questions were at the top of the board flashing in huge text he still wouldn't answer them.

BTW I got my question in at 7.59 European time and it was deleted (not that it would have been answered anyway)  Grin

I have been on this board since February 22, 2006 reading almost daily. Post count means nothing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:46:39 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2015, 03:44:25 AM »

5) To people who would like to allow questions only from members with a certain amount of posts: you're selfish. As someone else said in this thread, many of us read the board without feeling the need to post everyday. Many people with 1000+ posts reached those levels by posting inane or irrelevant comments by the truckload.  Lips Sealed
You are quite right, sir. It was said in haste without thinking. Stupid of me.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:42 AM »

in defense of my question, regarding Brian's favorite Four Freshmen song, my intentions were thus:  I wanted to ask Brian a question that I truly thought would get an answer.  He was here for 30 quick minutes.  He wasn't ever going to answer the questions that required thought and time to respond.  It would have been nice, but it wasn't going to happen.  And I didn't want to ask about the Dodgers, or calzones, so I asked a question that seemed truly interesting to me. 

The perfect approach, I think.  Gotta be realistic about what he'll reply to, while at the same time not throwing it away in a bid to just get any response at all.

I enjoyed it.  Had no issue with the pizza question.  He answered a good range.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2015, 05:21:58 AM »

Gotta agree with SloopJohnB's post...especially, but not exclusively, THIS one...

"4) Brian should be the only one allowed to choose which questions he wants to answer. No "votes" or "+1"s from members of this board - just let him decide."

...'cause that's how it's going to happen regardless.

I had suggested along the way to keep the questions short.  The format forced that to happen as only so much could be typed into a title box.  I also suggested that Brian would have an agenda for doing these Q and A's and THAT would be what he would prefer to delve into...and he did ... at least a bit.  Pretty sure he didn't set these sessions up in order to get 'grilled'...or to prove that one's memory isn't as sharp as it used to be once all the whiskers start to grow in white.

Over the years I've seen Brian do quite a few of 'these'.  Yesterday was really not all that different...in terms of what he responded to...and how he answered the questions...ie: quickly with few words...as he wanted to respond to as many folks as possible.

So...regarding questions...it matters little what the scholars here think of their merit or content.  In fact it matters not ... period.  All that matters is what the interviewee thinks of them.  Brian did all he could in the 31 1/2 minutes he was here and the 35 1/2 minutes that he was there.  The biggest problem was...he didn't have enough time to make everybody happy by answering every question posed.

I encountered quite a few board-related "errors" here when attempting to refresh...as I got home earlier than anticipated and got to poke in here.  When that happened I left as I knew the place was 'overbooked' and to have it crash would have been SO disappointing.  I knew I could read it all AFTER the fact.  So I went to Brians site and watched THAT unfold.  Then I posted in the Battle of the Bands over there and left as I didn't want to see the Blue Board sink under the weight of the volume of  visitors either.

Great reading at both sites ultimately.  Although THIS thread has been pretty weird.  In some cases it's like watching the scavengers in the wilds of the African Serengeti fighting over the leftover bones and scraps of meat.

Really?  In one word to all invloved in making yesterday happen...from the 'worst' question asked by whomever all the way up to the guy who responded to as many as he could in the time-frame chosen...Thanks.

Next time though...I'm still gonna post closer to race time.  And I'm going to change my name...to cheese pizza.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2015, 06:17:11 AM »

Interesting answer on the blueboard:

Posted 18 hours ago    #1
Heard that you had a few lessons as a kid, but do you ever try to play it now?

Posted 18 hours ago    #2
When I was 14 years old! I took lessons for a month but never was very good at it!

I thought I'd read that he mastered a child's accordion but just never moved on to the larger one.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2015, 06:25:45 AM »

THIS thread has been pretty weird.  In some cases it's like watching the scavengers in the wilds of the African Serengeti fighting over the leftover bones and scraps of meat.

Grin Grin Grin

PS: Grateful thanks to Ziggy Stardust for the heroic deed of combining all the Q's and A's in a single post.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »

[quote author=Cyncie link=topic=19801.msg496400#msg496400

Now, I do think it's a shame that questions submitted early probably weren't even seen. And, I did see at least one member bumping their post by editing in order to push it to the top. So, now that we know what the logistical problems are, we can begin to address them.

[/quote]
Does editing a topic really make it bumped up to the top of the page? If so, and if that was directed at me, that was not my intention but rather to edit out a followup question as per the instructions.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:33 AM »

this was an awesome experience that we were all very lucky to be party to. it was meant to be fun, light, and casual. the way Brian likes it. and we actually got a few revealing and unexpected replies to boot.

there will likely not be a next time. pity you couldn't just enjoy and appreciate it this time.

for the record, I waited until 5 minutes before 11am to post my question. it wasn't answered.

but what fun! thanks to the mods for the extra hours you put into this. such a huge treat

Very well put. Let the complainers put up some more of their problems with this event, have Brian read them, and decide to never do this again. Yeah, that's the ticket! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »

Having been able to experience Brian Wilson visit this board and answer some of our questions was a huge thrill, and I would like to thank the moderators for their great work. Thanks to them Brian answered a question that I'd been wondering about for twenty years. I have nothing negative to say...except that I'm embarrassed about/for the people who just bitch about it not going their way. And the whole idea about only allowing people with a thousand or more posts being allowed to participate is crass. I would never want to play softball or scrabble with those people. Babies.  police
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:16:03 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2015, 08:42:37 AM »

Hi all,

The questions I liked the most were about his favorirte pizza, what makes him happy and other that were about him.  I liked where his answer was playing with his children makes him happy.  That answer is priceless!!!  A reminder of what none of us can put a price tag on.  I like knowing he likes apple pie.  At birthday time I like cake.  Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie.  Christmas is apple pie.  Easter is chocolate bunnies.  It is marvelolus that Brian took the time to come.  The moderators did do a good job.  Brian has class!!!
pennyj
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »

:)Loved thisi in-depth comment.  Hope the poster knows I'm referring to this particular  post.  It was long, but detailed.  I,  also, have been a long-time fan of Brian's music. Have been to three of his shows. Have traveled from coast to coast to see them I didn't take part in asking any questions. I am now reading the replies from fans.  So sorry some of the "fans" were disappointed in Brian either not answering their questions, or not ? answering their questions the way in which they would have liked.   If we are long-time fans of Brian, we know what he's comfortable answering!

Please, Brian, do not let those complainers discourage you from coming on this particular board in the future. There are so many of us who LOVE you and your music!  Your harmonic vocal chords and arrangements over the years have given us the sanity and calmness we've all so much needed.  And I believe that what  you have created in  your harmonic vocals and instrumental arrangements has given you a peace and calmness  that has helped you survive and thrive over the years; especially when you've been able to accomplish these things without outside interference -- as you had in the past.

Your band (including the, shall I write, the former Wondermints?) are so fantastic!  I spoke to Darian  in 2000-2001 when I attended your show at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center in Darian Lake, New York after your show when you appeared before Paul Simon.  He took me into your trailer to meet you. What a thrill. He also took me into the trailer of the musicians.  Darian said to me that he and the other musicians loved your music so much; each note; each harmonic combination.  It's so great that your musicians are such fans of you!  They're just like us except they get to learn to play  your music. They're lucky pups.  At that time, Darian told me that he and the group were in the process of trying to "talk" you into singing again the song, "Marcella."  I believe they succeeded because in later shows that I saw on YouTube, I listened and saw you and your band sing "Marcella."  Oh you all sounded so great.  I love the songs YOU have chosen to sing with your band.
an
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx