gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:10:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69695 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »

"This is how I originally planned to perform the second half of "Surf's Up"."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:06:35 PM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »

If Darian and others couldn't get the answers to the SMiLE questions what chance did we have?  It was a relaxed Q&A for Brian and we learned a few things we didn't know.  What do people expect.  Some folk were posting clips to youtube and stuff.  People just wanted to be able to say Brian answered their question.  Nothing wrong with that, I wish he'd have picked mine but hey ho! Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »

And guys, I'm not saying I expected complex answers about SMiLE for example (tho that'd be awesome) but asking about pizza and cake is just a complete waste.

I don't think that's fair calling someone's question a waste of space.  In many ways, asking Brian what kind of pizza he likes is in a way the perfect question to ask him.  It's casual, it's something personal that makes him a bit more real to the rest of us and it's the type of question that allows Brian to answer in the one way he knows how:  quick and to the point.  And it's not like the board was flooded with a bunch of these type of questions.  It was one goofy one out of the 30 he answered.  

I totally see your point and I agree with it. Unfortunately, there was more than one "goofy" question. Did you read the ones on his own board? I could lay out a few here. But you're right - to make him feel welcome and at ease, ask him casual stuff. Not personal ones like, "Why do you have 12 dogs", which he probably would not have a good answer to and  probably make him uncomfortable and he would avoid.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »

"They want to ask me about Smile."

LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »

In all seriousness, I know I asked Brian about his favorite non-BBs '80s and '90s songs because I thought he might answer, and I find knowing the favorite artists of the artists I like gives me insight into what they're tuning in to. It was a light question but I thought he might answer. If I thought he'd tell exactly how the Wild Honey sessions went I'd have asked, but that's not the vibe I got from his interviews I've seen.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2015, 02:55:57 PM »

I gotta be honest, knowing the intelligence of this board (not to mention the people who complain about never getting the chance to "interview" the Beach Boys and/or get their questions answered and use that as an excuse for some really poor behavior) I was embarrassed at the level of questions.

Thousands of words traded about the history and politics of this band, posters complaining over who knows what, and why this or that happened -- and it all ends up 6th grader "how come you made that shorter?" and, yes, food preferences.

Jeez, maybe you should have actually asked a question rather than just waiting until after and complaining about the one's other people asked.

I asked the "6th grader" question because I love that new version of the track and wanted to prompt him to talk about it in anyway I could. I thought about other questions as well (What sort of talking did you originally intend to have in the quiet spaces on Love to Say Dada? What was the original intention for the "doot-doot-doot Heroes & Villains" chants (B-Side of the single? Auditioning choruses for the A-Side?) but I figured he's probably sick of SMiLE questions so I asked something about Friends.

Also, someone not having a lot of posts here doesn't mean they don't read everybody else's. It does probably mean that they don't get involved in all the arguments around here though.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:56 PM »

Yeah, the level of nastiness toward BW's reaching out to his fans is shameful.  Sad

Why is it that any expression of disappointment or constructive criticism is now considered "nastiness" just because it's not 100% blind praise. Relax. Opinions are like assholes, something something amiright?

Anyway, alternative idea...

What if, instead of a post limit or 6-months thing, what if we make it so all us posters can upvote questions we like, and have the most upvoted show up first/on top next time? That way preference is given to the "best" questions, not the ones that got posted last minute?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »

I gotta be honest, knowing the intelligence of this board (not to mention the people who complain about never getting the chance to "interview" the Beach Boys and/or get their questions answered and use that as an excuse for some really poor behavior) I was embarrassed at the level of questions.

Thousands of words traded about the history and politics of this band, posters complaining over who knows what, and why this or that happened -- and it all ends up 6th grader "how come you made that shorter?" and, yes, food preferences.

I truly expected Brian to be deluged with the most brilliant, hardcore questions from this crew. If not here, than where?

Not all were awful -- but on the whole, it was slow pitch McCartney.com fan level.
I was actually waiting for the big question: "Brian, do you like me liking you?"

Brilliant, hardcore questions would have been impressive sure but I think most people here approached the situation realistically.  It was only 30 minutes--with the primary goal being to answer as many questions as possible (more questions answered means more happy people).  Most people's questions were appropriate given these limitations.  I'm really not sure how much things would have been different if all the questions were of the scholarly/academic level.  Brian responded to each question in his own way--there was no guarantee he would have answered a superfan question about Smile or Love You in the way that would've satisfied any one of us. 

Looking at all the questions submitted, it appears to me that most everyone designed a question that was easy and fun for Brian to answer but that was also at the same time simple enough so that it would allow other members' questions to still get through.  I think it went as well as it should have
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »

I dunno. Going into this, considering the 30 minute window I didn't expect any drawn out Q & A. You can't really conduct an in depth interview with a one and done question format. It's much like consulting a magic 8 ball! Such is the enigma of our good friend Brian - questions wrapped in riddles.

I didn't expect any response on my Phil Spector Vegas residency question, but I did think it would be a nice back-door method towards that rock n roll album we've all been jonsein' for. If that somewhat winded question disturbed the parameters of a proper Q & A, I apologize. I was just trying to fly a trial balloon.

Let's be easy on ourselves - the Smile historians and the pizza historians.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »

I think Brian did more with the “soft” questions than people realize.  Someone asked him what he remembered about Holland and he mentioned the cobblestone roads.  LOL Funny!

The forum was 30 minutes on a “fan site”.  For people to expect “deep, heavy, abstruse, recondite” questions that only the Elite and Esoteric Knights of Sainted Brian would know is bizarre at best and churlish at worst.

I thought all the questions were delightful and Our Esteemed Hosts are to be commended!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »

The most interesting answer was the love you tour question. They have "talked" about doing one.

Not sure that one would sell a lot of tickets...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »

I think a lot of people here will be quite disappointed when they'll learn that Brian's upcoming autobiography will only contain his favorite pizzeria recipes of the last seventy years.  LOL

I'm just enjoying the fact that Brian is still around and shares a few details of his life with us. You can't expect Brian to deliver profound answers to our sophisticated questions. On the other hand it might be something else if Mike or Al chose to look around for a Q&A...

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »

If a few not-completely-positive posts on the internet spoil your fun, you ought to get out more.

I love Brian Wilson and appreciate the mods here as much as anyone. But that's not to say we couldn't make improvements for next time if there is one.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2015, 03:07:08 PM »

The most interesting answer was the love you tour question. They have "talked" about doing one.

Do it in small venues, clubs even.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »

Do it in small venues, clubs even.

Just Brian with a snare drum... That'd be artistic courage!  Smokin

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »

Yeah, a few Love You shows could be epic. I wouldn't expect a tour, but they owe use by their refusal to put one Love You song in the regular set list. Seriously, how would the "The Night Was So Young" mess up the show?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »

And guys, I'm not saying I expected complex answers about SMiLE for example (tho that'd be awesome) but asking about pizza and cake is just a complete waste.

I don't think that's fair calling someone's question a waste of space.  In many ways, asking Brian what kind of pizza he likes is in a way the perfect question to ask him.  It's casual, it's something personal that makes him a bit more real to the rest of us and it's the type of question that allows Brian to answer in the one way he knows how:  quick and to the point.  And it's not like the board was flooded with a bunch of these type of questions.  It was one goofy one out of the 30 he answered.  

I totally see your point and I agree with it. Unfortunately, there was more than one "goofy" question. Did you read the ones on his own board? I could lay out a few here. But you're right - to make him feel welcome and at ease, ask him casual stuff. Not personal ones like, "Why do you have 12 dogs", which he probably would not have a good answer to and  probably make him uncomfortable and he would avoid.

Exactly.   I think I did notice a few members jumping over at BW.COM repeating the same question they asked here!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »

It was a 30 minute Q&A right?  Quick questions, quick answers.  

If you feel you were deprived of an in-depth interview, you should probably put a lot of effort into getting one, and that takes some serious strategy.  If you look at the best interviews, they were done by knowledgeable people who earned the artists' trust through their study of his/her life and work, earned some credentials and offered a level of integrity proven through time with the artist.  The "experts" here can surely get their own interviews, right?

In the mean time, do you really NOT want Brian to do Q&A's?  He's probably just as happy not doing them, but wants to interact with his fans.  He was doing a nice thing, I thought...

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »

Perhaps what we really learned today was a little something about our self-entitlement. There's a White Stripes song that covers this topic very well, "Take, Take, Take": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FgQzgUfr_c
halblaineisgood
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »

Did you ever eat pizza while working with Redwood?

Is it true that Andy Paley was dismissed after offering to bake you a pizza?

We're all going to die so why not get back together for one last slice?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:36:33 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »

Questions like "what advice do you have for songwriters" or "what song of yours do you think is underrated" are good questions BUT they have been answered before by Brian, multiple times. So something like the pizza question may seem overly simplistic but at least it's something different.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2015, 03:36:18 PM »

I love Brian Wilson and appreciate the mods here as much as anyone. But that's not to say we couldn't make improvements for next time if there is one.

Right you are! Next time he's around, we'll shove our entitled, intelligent questions down his throat until that man coughs up blood or answers! I'm not a picky man, I'll take whatever comes first. Who cares what Brian wants and that he likes smaller questions? It's about me, dammit!
BRIAN, BRIAN - PLEASE WRITE ME AN EMOTIONAL NOVELLA ABOUT EVENTS FROM YOUR PRIVATE LIFE 50 YEARS AGO.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:44:57 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »

Josh, you are the man!!!!!!! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx