gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:08:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69585 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:41 PM »

Unfortunately, there were some real softball questions and he answered some of those instead of the good ones that required some thought. I was hoping he would answer the question concerning his voice change ('74/'75) which was asked here in different ways by a couple of different posters and one poster at the BW board. Brian didn't want to touch questions like that - opting for questions about whether he liked cake or pie. Geeeez. Again, I know the questions can't be screened prior to the Q&A period, but there's only 1/2 hour for Brian to answer all of them (including the dumb ones). And even some of the good questions were answered very basically and/or not thoroughly enough as I kind of expected going into this thing. Better than "Yes" and "No" answers, I guess........

Now I'm asking myself if his cake/pie taste changed in '74/'75... oh well, next Q&A! Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:33:55 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

I love that out of all the unfinished songs Brian has, the one he thought of wanting to revisit was Lana!   Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »

What did we learn? To limit the number of questions to posters with more than 1000 posts (which rules me out for a start) so that the long-term members and scholars/historians get the look-in they deserve. Worth keeping in mind for next time. :=)

How about no.

How about yes.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »

What did we learn? To limit the number of questions to posters with more than 1000 posts (which rules me out for a start) so that the long-term members and scholars/historians get the look-in they deserve. Worth keeping in mind for next time. :=)

How about no.

How about yes.

How about no.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »

Never going to happen.  NEVER.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »

That sounds.. wrong. For so many reasons.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »

I love that out of all the unfinished songs Brian has, the one he thought of wanting to revisit was Lana!   Grin

That wasn't an unfinished song. I think Brian misinterpreted the question. Maybe he was thinking of do-overs.

For instance, he didn't finish "Sandy" in '65 but eventually finished it 11 years later and released it in another form years after that. I think that's what the poster was looking for- that kind of answer. Songs that were unfinished or in demo form but not finished and released.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »

Unfortunately, there were some real softball questions and he answered some of those instead of the good ones that required some thought. I was hoping he would answer the question concerning his voice change ('74/'75) which was asked here in different ways by a couple of different posters and one poster at the BW board. Brian didn't want to touch questions like that - opting for questions about whether he liked cake or pie. Geeeez. Again, I know the questions can't be screened prior to the Q&A period, but there's only 1/2 hour for Brian to answer all of them (including the dumb ones). And even some of the good questions were answered very basically and/or not thoroughly enough as I kind of expected going into this thing. Better than "Yes" and "No" answers, I guess........

What is there left to say? His voice changed around 1975 and then once more in 1980. He had laryngitis both of those years. It happens.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 12:42:38 PM »

It has been speculated that there is some bad blood between Brian and VDP. However, when asked for his favorite lyricist, he didn't answer Tony Asher, or Scott Bennett, or even Mike Love -- but Van Dyke Parks. I found that very interesting.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »

What is there left to say? His voice changed around 1975 and then once more in 1980. He had laryngitis both of those years. It happens.

What's left to say? Confirmation on whether he inadvertently damaged it with drugs/alcohol/cigs or whether he did it on purpose to sound older. Even Marilyn says he did it on purpose which I've always disagreed with. I always thought he damaged his vocal chords by accident and if he knew at the time what was going to happen, he would have tried to prevent it.

I'm not talking about laryngitis. I'm talking about the PERMANENT damage that he did to his voice in 1975.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:45:16 PM by Mikie » Logged

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »

Set the limit at 2,500 posts and it's a deal. Grin 2,503 would be ok too. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 12:52:02 PM »

SO glad that people are happy with the inane answers supplied.  But then, did anyone really expect Brian to supply moere than one word/line answers? 
Maybe someone can get Pee Wee Herman to register here and we can ask him questions next

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »

I agree. Aeijtzsche, for instance, had a very interesting question about something he's been doing research to for years, something that quite some people would have loved to see the definitive answer to. And Brian never even got to see that question.

But hey, at least we got to know that Brian likes cheese pizza (no offense to whoever asked that question)....
halblaineisgood
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »

What's left to say? Confirmation on whether he inadvertently damaged it with drugs/alcohol/cigs or whether he did it on purpose to sound older. Even Marilyn says he did it on purpose which I've always disagreed with. I always thought he damaged his vocal chords by accident and if he knew at the time what was going to happen, he would have tried to prevent it.

I'm not talking about laryngitis. I'm talking about the PERMANENT damage that he did to his voice in 1975.
WHY would he answer that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:54:50 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »

That wasn't an unfinished song. I think Brian misinterpreted the question. Maybe he was thinking of do-overs.

For instance, he didn't finish "Sandy" in '65 but eventually finished it 11 years later and released it in another form years after that. I think that's what the poster was looking for- that kind of answer. Songs that were unfinished or in demo form but not finished and released.

Maybe "Lana" WAS unfinished, despite being recorded and released. It's certainly always sounded to me like an unfinished song.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »

SO glad that people are happy with the inane answers supplied.  But then, did anyone really expect Brian to supply moere than one word/line answers? 
Maybe someone can get Pee Wee Herman to register here and we can ask him questions next
What did you expect from a 30 minutes Q&A? He 'answered' about 30 Qs. That's one A per minute.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »

What I learned? Don't post your question until seconds before the deadline.  Post early in an orderly fashion?  Brian'll never get all the way through the umpteen pages of 'queries' to where you're so, in fact, well hidden that camouflage is a 100% waste of time and money.  {A duck-call might come in handy though...or something really LOUD that sounds exactly like a cheese pizza.}

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »

It's a rare occurrence where we agree, but this is one of them.

I also support limiting submissions to posters who've been here for at least, say 6 months or so. Or the 1000 posts idea. Maybe lower it a bit to 500.

Maybe I'm being a sour grape, but I'm saddened that we had some really great questions ready from yesterday that all got bumped by lame, last minute softball questions at the last minute.

Not trying to rain on the parade, just saying the format for future Q&As could be improved.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:06:10 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »

WHY would he answer that.

Why not? It was asked THREE times by other posters and it's one of the top 5 questions I would have asked him. Why waste time and ask him questions (i.e. about his new album that will be forthcoming very soon anyway)?

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »

What I learned? Don't post your question until seconds before the deadline.  Post early in an orderly fashion?  Brian'll never get all the way through the umpteen pages of 'queries' to where you're so, in fact, well hidden that camouflage is a 100% waste of time and money.  {A duck-call might come in handy though...or something really LOUD that sounds exactly like a cheese pizza.}

This. This is the only true answer

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »

I wouldn't be too upset guys.  Like with other Q&A sessions he sidestepped a lot of the questions and a few of the answers didn't even make sense.  I do think that there should something put in place next time so we don't waste time with questions like what is his favorite pizza.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »

It's a rare occurrence where we agree, but this is one of them.

I also support limiting submissions to posters who've been here for at least, say 6 months or so. Or the 1000 posts idea. Maybe lower it a bit to 500.

Maybe I'm being a sour grape, but I'm saddened that we had some really great questions ready from yesterday that all got bumped by lame, last minute softball questions at the last minute.

Not trying to rain on the parade, just saying the format for future Q&As could be improved.

There are some who came out of the woodwork to ask questions. Poster's names I haven't seen in ages or not at all. Some with alias's with new names and 500+ posts. Some with just a few posts under their belt. I wonder how many registered just to ask questions.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »

This is what you get from a BW interview, folks.

Narrowing it down wouldn't have helped. The man knows how to dodge and weave.

Misdirection, evasion, brevity. That's his style, and he's not changing it now.

I wouldn't be too upset guys.  Like with other Q&A sessions he sidestepped a lot of the questions and a few of the answers didn't even make sense.  I do think that there should something put in place next time so we don't waste time with questions like what is his favorite pizza.

And don't hate on the pizza question. He picked it.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »

Why waste time and ask him questions (i.e. about his new album that will be forthcoming very soon anyway)?
Because they are likely to be answered. And no matter how perfunctory, for thrill of Brian's dictated response.

Why not?
"YEah, I PERMANENTLY damaged my voice in 1975... don't forget to b uy my new album!! I'll be doin' lots of singing on it -with my permanently damaged voice!! Love, Brian     P.S. Thanx 4 the fun question!"
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

This is what you get from a BW interview, folks.

Narrowing it down wouldn't have helped. The man knows how to dodge and weave.

Misdirection, evasion, brevity. That's his style, and he's not changing it now.

I wouldn't be too upset guys.  Like with other Q&A sessions he sidestepped a lot of the questions and a few of the answers didn't even make sense.  I do think that there should something put in place next time so we don't waste time with questions like what is his favorite pizza.

And don't hate on the pizza question. He picked it.

Exactly, he picked it...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx