gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:03:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did we learn at the Q&A?  (Read 69591 times)
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »

I got through the first 4 pages of this thread, and was very pleased to notice that the most talked about thing was my question: what's your favorite pizza. I find it amusing, that Brian Wilson comes here and answers a good bunch of great questions, a lot of people whine that he also told us his favorite pizza. What's the problem people, why some of you are so uptight?

I tried to come up with some mastermind question for Brian for the whole week. Thought about it every second. But when the last moments came, I realized that there's really not that much questions I'd really ask him, 'cause I don't know him, but in the other hand in some weird way I do know him. I knew he wouldn't answer questions like: what's the meaning of life, how do you really feel down deep about Dennis' death or where do I find cocaine, etc... Then I got the idea. Brian loves food, especially steaks. So I started wonder wether he likes pizza or not. I love pizza, it's my favorite food. So that's what I wanted, and could ask him. And I got to tell you, I'm extremely happy that he answered it. Got to be one of the best things ever happened to me.

Plus I'm very happy about the questions you others came up with also, found out very interesting stuff, thanks ya'll folks and Brian!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »

I thought there was cheese on every pizza.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »

I love the fact that Brian likes the same pizza as my other idol, Kevin from Home Alone.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »

The basic pizza and one close to my heart and tastebuds is the basic, old-fashioned, "pizza". Some places you need to order it as a "cheese pizza". Sauce, cheese, dough/crust...That's a real pizza. There have been so many variations since the advent of "California Pizza Kitchen", all kinds of these gourmet pies, "Buffalo Chicken Pizza", "Philly Cheesesteak Pizza", "White Pizza", "Dessert Pizza", etc...I never understood that. But, to each his own. You want pineapple and citrus with ham slices on your pie, go for it! But to me it just isn't a pizza.

Sauce (red sauce), cheese, crust...basic and perfect. Add some pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, anchovies, peppers...all good. As long as the basics are underneath all of that.

But I've rarely if ever ordered anything but what we now know as "cheese pizza", the basic and the best. The kind where you pick up the slice, it kind of dips down and all the grease starts running off...not "crispy crust" or "deep dish" or any thing else, just a good, greasy slice of pizza.

See, this is what happens when I read these food questions around lunch time. I go off the rails.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »

You've never seen strips of sauce pizza at gas stations and truck stops? Very yummy actually...
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »

Mohh, I hope there aren't any actual Italians reading this.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »

[quote author=Cyncie link=topic=19801.msg496400#msg496400

Now, I do think it's a shame that questions submitted early probably weren't even seen. And, I did see at least one member bumping their post by editing in order to push it to the top. So, now that we know what the logistical problems are, we can begin to address them.

Does editing a topic really make it bumped up to the top of the page? If so, and if that was directed at me, that was not my intention but rather to edit out a followup question as per the instructions.
[/quote]

No it doesn't move it to the top of the page!  Don't worry, maybe it was aimed at me!  I edited my question several times before I was happy with it. Grin
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »

I tried to come up with some mastermind question for Brian for the whole week. Thought about it every second. But when the last moments came, I realized that there's really not that much questions I'd really ask him, 'cause I don't know him, but in the other hand in some weird way I do know him. I knew he wouldn't answer questions like: what's the meaning of life, how do you really feel down deep about Dennis' death or where do I find cocaine, etc... Then I got the idea. Brian loves food, especially steaks. So I started wonder wether he likes pizza or not. I love pizza, it's my favorite food. So that's what I wanted, and could ask him. And I got to tell you, I'm extremely happy that he answered it. Got to be one of the best things ever happened to me.

LOL That certainly would have been an interesting one...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:36:08 AM by Josh Irby » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »

I also thought there was tomato on every pizza. But I traveled through Thailand and Laos a few years ago, went to get pizza a few times and never got one with any tomato on it. Whenever I specifically asked for it, they usually just gave me a bottle of ketchup.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »

The basic pizza and one close to my heart and tastebuds is the basic, old-fashioned, "pizza". Some places you need to order it as a "cheese pizza". Sauce, cheese, dough/crust...That's a real pizza. There have been so many variations since the advent of "California Pizza Kitchen", all kinds of these gourmet pies, "Buffalo Chicken Pizza", "Philly Cheesesteak Pizza", "White Pizza", "Dessert Pizza", etc...I never understood that. But, to each his own. You want pineapple and citrus with ham slices on your pie, go for it! But to me it just isn't a pizza.

Sauce (red sauce), cheese, crust...basic and perfect. Add some pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, anchovies, peppers...all good. As long as the basics are underneath all of that.

But I've rarely if ever ordered anything but what we now know as "cheese pizza", the basic and the best. The kind where you pick up the slice, it kind of dips down and all the grease starts running off...not "crispy crust" or "deep dish" or any thing else, just a good, greasy slice of pizza.

See, this is what happens when I read these food questions around lunch time. I go off the rails.  Grin

I must wholeheartedly agree with you, but for one exception... pesto pizza. There are variations, such as the Margherita pizza, but the pesto pizza that I know is essentially the same as a standard cheese pizza, except instead of red sauce, pesto sauce is used. Not much need for toppings, although tomatoes and spinach compliment it quite well.

Sadly I just found out I'm lactose intolerant, so I can never eat pizza in the same way again  Shrug
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »

I agree with you completely about the white "pizza" and those California Pizza Kitchen things (which are actually made in Wisconsin about 10 minutes from my house).  They may be good, but it's not pizza.  I love a nice greasy slice of cheese and pepperoni, folded 'New York' style.  However, since I'm only three hours from the windy city, I do also enjoy a good Chicago style pie...cheese on the bottom, then the toppings, and the sauce on top of everything.  Delicious.  As good as it is, though, it's not really pizza either.  And Theydon Bois, everybody knows that pizza was invented in the good ol' USA.   Wink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:22:53 AM by LostArt » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »

I got through the first 4 pages of this thread, and was very pleased to notice that the most talked about thing was my question: what's your favorite pizza. I find it amusing, that Brian Wilson comes here and answers a good bunch of great questions, a lot of people whine that he also told us his favorite pizza. What's the problem people, why some of you are so uptight?

Plus I'm very happy about the questions you others came up with also, found out very interesting stuff, thanks ya'll folks and Brian!

I can't think of what could have been a better response to all of this. Well done!

I'll also add that the basic cheese pizza is my favourite. And it's also quite Italian.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2015, 11:26:24 AM »

I really enjoyed the questions everyone asked, and found it interesting that Brian said Van Dyke was his favorite collaborator. This may have been a dig at Mike, but I liked that answer!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »

Van Dyke's response on twitter Smiley

Andrew Hickey, @hickeywriter:
Nice to see Brian Wilson say @thevandykeparks is his all-time favourite collaborator.

Van Dyke Parks, @thevandykeparks:
FLOORED!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »

I really enjoyed the questions everyone asked, and found it interesting that Brian said Van Dyke was his favorite collaborator. This may have been a dig at Mike, but I liked that answer!
If he just wanted a dig at Mike, why not answer Joe Thomas or Scott Bennett, his most recent collaborators? I think he meant what he said.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »

See, this is what happens when I read these food questions around lunch time. I go off the rails.  Grin
I can tell that you live(d) in Philly. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »

I knew he wouldn't answer questions like: what's the meaning of life, how do you really feel down deep about Dennis' death or where do I find cocaine, etc... Then I got the idea. Brian loves food, especially steaks. So I started wonder wether he likes pizza or not. I love pizza, it's my favorite food. So that's what I wanted, and could ask him. And I got to tell you, I'm extremely happy that he answered it. Got to be one of the best things ever happened to me.

Remember the interview where he was asked about his creative process and finished his answer with, "I like food. Creative food." The guy likes food, and he likes to talk about it. Not surprised that cheese pizza is his favorite. Did we really think he preferred artisanal artichoke, pineapple, and shitake mushroom pizza? He likes french fries, apple pie, steaks, and cheese pizza. Simple tastes.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »

Brian's been calling Van Dyke his favorite lyricist he ever worked with for 40 years. no surprise there.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »

So, anybody up for a Q&A with Al??

Smokin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »

now we're talkin!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »

So, anybody up for a Q&A with Al??

I can't wait to ask him what his favourite tooth is.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »

I thought Brian's answer to his favorite song on Love You (The Night Was So Young) was revelatory and if not revelatory, then still it was very very COOL.

Also, the fact that he's ever discussed TOURING with that album!  Whoa.

YEAH

The Q&A yesterday far exceed my expectations.  Lots of FUN and some VERY interesting nuggets to think about!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »

man, it would be a treat to hear that band tear into "Love You" one night with Al Jardine in the mix.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 27, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »

Hardly a shock that Brian chooses the easiest questions to answer...you have read Brian Wilson interviews before right? If most of those questions were at the top of the board flashing in huge text he still wouldn't answer them.

BTW I got my question in at 7.59 European time and it was deleted (not that it would have been answered anyway)  Grin

Really? We did keep an eye on multiple posts, but as far as I can see you only posted once. Strange... no clue what happened there. (apart from the ss-board being a total madhouse at around that time)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: January 27, 2015, 01:58:35 PM »

Hardly a shock that Brian chooses the easiest questions to answer...you have read Brian Wilson interviews before right? If most of those questions were at the top of the board flashing in huge text he still wouldn't answer them.

BTW I got my question in at 7.59 European time and it was deleted (not that it would have been answered anyway)  Grin

Really? We did keep an eye on multiple posts, but as far as I can see you only posted once. Strange... no clue what happened there. (apart from the ss-board being a total madhouse at around that time)

I can say 100% that not a single post was deleted at or after that time, for reasons I described on page 7. It just wasn't possible to delete any, so either there is a miscommunication or misunderstanding or something in the board. Because I laid out the reasons why none of those question topics could be deleted even if it were tried!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx